Forum › Posts by Yuki Kitsune

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Haley Joel Osment could see dead people. I can see Bad Yuri Endings. It's my curse. I've been taught to always expect the worst.

Yes, but he couldn't see them before they actually died!

last edited at Aug 21, 2020 11:32AM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Not my thing overall, but seeing Gourai greet the other FA Girls by shaking their finger (and their confused reaction to it) is adorable beyond words.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Timeskips may be a trope, but trope and cliches can work if executed in an original way. And I think this is one of the best written timeskips in any manga I've seen. Perhaps even better than Bloom Into You's.

This chapter allowed us to infer a whole lot of Maki and Midori's life together while acquainting us with a character we had only known as Midori's bump previously. We know that M&M are still close friends with Komari, that the two of them still are very different people (uptight Maki and laid-back Midori), that Tazune is in Kon's life, that Komari made her peace with her hometown, etc.

None of that was exactly mission-critical except the fact that they stayed together after the "wedding," but it tied things up nicely while still showing us something new.

Exactly. It didn't spoon-feed us a collage (graphic exposition) on everything that's happened in the years since. Rather, it tapped into the essence of "show, don't tell" by setting the stage and simply implying everything that's out of view. It was an incredibly efficient use of story telling that encompassed far more than would have been laid out by following the main couple without it feeling forced. I would call this the best-quality chapter in the entire series. Rather than feeling rushed (as some are implying that the series was axed), this feels like it's been thought through for months.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Such a surprise ending, but so well executed!

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Does that even count as Ecchi? NSFW certainly, but I don't feel like there was anything pervy to that.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Sheesh! I don't think I've blushed like that since I first started dating back in college. Almost too intimate.

Edit: And I say that as someone who thinks the whole handholding joke has long run its course.

last edited at Jul 27, 2020 7:08PM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

From
"impossibly light"
to
"kind of heavy"

That's the most depressing transition in the story for me, because it implies she'll never grow her wings back.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Holy cow! For all these years I've been misreading your name as "MrEgregious".

last edited at Jul 25, 2020 11:43PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

BeanBeanKingdom said:

Sorry for the image spam that's about to ensue, but I've wanted to do this for a while. I fell in love with the setting, the town of Nagahama in Ehime, and I took the time to find some of the landmarks that appear in the manga on google maps because I love when stories accurately reproduce settings that aren't the usual big cities everybody knows. And so, bear with me as I take you on a little sightseeing tour.

[Much imagery removed.]

Hope you enjoyed!

Yes, thank you! (Also, glad I'm not the only one who's gone on a Google virtual tour of Nagahama and environs.)

Yuki Kitsune
Bash! discussion 20 Jul 09:20
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

The author didn't abandon anything, Tranquil spring on the other hand....

So the status 'Abandoned' is when the author is still writing but the scanlators have stopped working on it, and 'Dropped' is when the author cancels it? Or how does it go?

As I understand it, Dropped is when the scanlators announce that they are discontinuing the series and Abandoned is when they just stop working on it without notice. Dropped makes it easier for other scanlation teams to take up the project.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Yay, Amano Shuninta returns! Feels like it's been ages since I've read anything new by her.

(And it looks like I totally missed the 10-chapter dump of Ayame 14 back in March.)

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I couldn't remember who Kirigaya was either, so I went back and reread the whole thing. Totally worth it.

Man, the mom doesn't just ship these girls; she tosses them into the boat and casts them adrift at sea!

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

It's not even just the lack of communication; it's clear that these girls don't feel comfortable being themselves around each other, and that's pretty much a death knell to any emotional intimacy. It's one thing to open yourself up to someone only to get your heart broken, but I don't think they are ever going to open up enough to be hurt or feel betrayed. Maybe we'll learn why that is, maybe we won't. Maybe they'll open up a little, but probably not -- certainly not if it follows the original short.
Rod Sterling voice: "Welcome to ... The Friend Zone" Do-DO-Do-do-Do-DO-Do-do

Edit:
Not that I'm hatin'. Thanks to the short, I have no expectations of a rosy (lily?) outcome, and the story is well-told. But if you're looking for a fluffy story or a big payoff after the drama and angst, you probably won't find it here. (Actually, I keep wondering if this story is at all autobiographical. I missed the notice if there was one.)

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 11:49AM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I spell it as "sempai" because that's how it's pronounced. ん isn't the same as "n". The moraic nasal is pronounced differently depending on the following sound. Before the bilabial consonants, "m", "b", and "p", it takes the form of the bilabial nasal, "m". That's why "tempura" is the standard spelling, not "tenpura".

This is also why "grandpa" becomes "gramps" instead of "granps"

I hadn't thought of that one. The example I would use is something like how the same prefix is "in" in "invincible" but "im" in "imperfect".

But that's sorta a different issue, since there is a single accepted English spelling for most English words. When you're spelling out Japanese words, there are several competing standards, and sometimes people ignore all the standards and just go off and do their own thing. Kovachi Luka is not the "right" way to romanize 古鉢るか by any standard, but that's how she spells her name.

It's not just that you have competing standards for romanizing Japanese words, but the standards for converting kanji to kana have only been established in relatively recent time. Between regionalism and the desire to preserve tradition, it can be a somewhat contentious topic. Most of the reforms happened between 1920 and 1960-something. (They never really "completed" the reforms so much as threw their hands up and said, "Good enough.") For a period of ~250 years, the Japanese language didn't even distinguish between /n/ and /m/ sounds. In fact ん (n) is a fairly recent addition, and the character む (mu) was used for the syllabic nasal until the early 20th century. This is the case for the poem Iroha, which is sometimes used for the ordering of kana, similar to our ABCs.

last edited at Jul 1, 2020 4:32PM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

"Secretly from everyone, the two of them are dating."

Never thought I'd be so glad to see those words again. Resume the fluffiness!

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Can't believe this series still doesn't even have two pages of comments.

It needs more love, dammit!!

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Looking at what's been tagged with this so far, it seems like the defining characteristic is that both of the leads are objectively ridiculous, like a comedy duo with no straight man (uh, so to speak).

Right. It's basically boke x boke relationships, where the tsukkomi is either a side character or missing entirely. I like this tag. When I see it, I pretty much know what I'm in for.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Poor Suzu.

I suppose it's confirmed that they do have sexual moments outside of the story we see.

And what if that's what Nagori-sensei wants us to think?
Yeah yeah unreal but hey let me live

You mean all the suggestive peach eating wasn't proof enough?

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

The presentation of this manga is kind of odd. It has the sensibility of a 4-koma but isn't confined to a format the way 4-koma is. (Plus, it's certainly not all rainbows and laughter like most 4-koma.) Even though I enjoy it, I sometimes struggle with the shifting continuity. Is that just me?

I can't really see a professional publisher accepting a work like this, but it's nice to have something without all that polish, too. And some of the characters are equally "unpolished," which makes it work really well, IMO.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

What beautifully subtle use of color.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Came back to reread this one (after enough time had passed). Holy cow, this is one seriously emotional ride. Text-heavy, to be sure (thank you, translators), but it's rare to see an MC hit such moral highs and lows, careening between hero and antihero. And when it finally came Full Circle, I totally lost control of my tear glands. Good story.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Nya-chan said :

I have to reread from the start, because I don't fucking understand anything.

I have reread from the start. I get the general gist, but there are still too many sections that just make no sense. Fixing the page order on the last chapter helped a little, but, quite frankly, page orders feel off all over the place, even between chapters. The sudden memories popping up aren't helping and feel almost like ret-conning.

But it does make me want to go back and reread Qualia the Purple.

Edit:
drhelsing said :

It looks more like a rookie tried to bite more that she or he could chew

^ This! I feel like there might be a halfway decent story in here somewhere, but it wasn't planned out well and became garbled. (Of course, I wouldn't be getting hung up on it in the first place if it didn't draw me in at least a little.)

last edited at Apr 6, 2020 11:39AM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Time to update this with the last two volumes, I think.

With so many characters and about 4.5 years from first chapter to last, I can't always recall who they are or what their circumstances were. And it's a pain to have to reread the entire thing.

As before, I welcome suggestions, constructive criticism. Where chapters appear in parentheses, the relationships between those characters play a prominent side role. This is not intended as a comprehensive list of chapters in which each character appears but rather for use if you want to follow the arc of a particular relationship.

Shiramine Ayaka x Kurosawa Yurine (main couple)
1, 2, 5, 6.5, 11, 11.5, (12, 15, 18), 19.5, 22, 23, (25.1), 31, 32, 35, 36, 40, 43, 44, 46*, 47*, 48*, 49, 50*
* These later chapters revisit many of the side couples as Shiramine explores her feelings.

Senoo Mizuki x Nikaidou Moe (track)
3, 4, 16, 16.2, 17*, 20, 20.5, (46)
* alt-17 (pages 13-19)

Uehara Ai, Hoshino Maya, Kusakabe Chiharu, Akidzuki Izumi (stars and bicycle)
(5), 6, 7*, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 25.5, 26, 27, (48)
* alt-7 (pages 6-9)

Ooshiro Yukina x Mita Towako (garden club)
12, 13, 14, 15, 15.1, (47)

Shikama Momiji, Machida Kaoru, Inoue Kohagi (unrequited, triangle)
18 (MK only), 19

Nishikawa Itsuki x Itou Sawa (childhood promise / photography)
21, 24, 25, 25.1, 30.5, 48

Hiruma Ryou, Asakura Amane, Yuunagi Nina (poly)
28, 29, 30, 35.5

Aoi Haine x Yukimura Aika (age-gap/incest)
(31, 32), 33, 34, (47)

Tatsumi Nagisa x Torayama Hikari (student council)
37, 38, 39, v8 Omake

Hagidzuki (aka Hagimoto Mikaze) x Asuna (aka Sakurada Asuka) (cosplay)
41, 42*, 45, v9 Omake, (48)
* Includes cameos from Shiramine and Machida Kaoru

Multiple Pairings
Valentine's - 15.5, 40.5
Internet Shorts
Omake:
- Volume 6: Flower Garden
- Volume 7: Looking For

Relationship Chart

last edited at Mar 28, 2020 5:33PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

4'7" vs 5'11" -- From my experience, 5'11" is really tall for Japan. Poor girl must suffer from near daily head injuries.

Edit: Okay, what's the deal with "mayonegg"? I've seen that on a few credits pages now. Though, not for a while.

last edited at Mar 25, 2020 8:22PM

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

What manga is this https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ebisu_san_and_hotei_san_ch05#6

It's not necessarily from anything. Tsubomi just likes to have various cover illustrations. But you can check out a selection of that illustrator's other works here.