Forum › Posts by Omega Deuse

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I don't think Yuka was talking about Haru when she said she had a crush, but by the end I'm pretty sure she was all but telling Haru to ask her out. I mean, how else are you supposed to interpret "Why'd you just gotta give up like that?" after Haru pushed her down?

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 07 Sep 00:40
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
E-c8fukveaauanu-orig

I really need to get around to finishing the VN, but did something happen that's causing a sudden resurgence of fanart?

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 31 Aug 13:07
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
Hang%20out

Huh. That's interesting. She referred to the Emperor as 'him', but I thought there weren't any males in their world?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Ok. This whole thing was cute, but I think the second panel of pg.32 is what cemented it as a favorite.

"Didn't we have a whole conversation about how it's rude to do this?"

"Your right, but shut up."

I need more.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Fiat money has always resulted in runaway inflation of the monetary stock, in turn resulting in runaway inflation of prices.

That is an incredible claim. Do you have a source for it.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

That was both a cute and disappointing chapter. We got teased with hints about burgeoning unrest between commoners and nobles, but then we were diverted to a ghost mystery with a fairly obvious twist and little in the way of new insights.

Oh well. The café looks like it would be fun, though I agree with the prince: Couches and books would make for an excellent addition to nearly any café.

As for the scanlator's question at the end (I think they're on here?). I'd prefer there just be one release, rather than an early release followed by a later one. The two-step release makes it much easier to miss it entirely if you don't want to read the draft version. Also, a few days, either way, doesn't seem like it would change much when the periods between releases are both relatively fixed and significantly larger then the gap is likely to be.

Fiat money is a bad thing; in the long run, it is like a game of musical chairs in which most chairs will suddenly be removed all-at-once. And, historically, no state has indefinitely resisted the temptation to inflate fiat currency madly.

You say that as if fiat currencies have existed for more than a few decades. That said, I can't think of many countries that gave into the urge to "inflate the currency madly". At least not ones that weren't already in the process of collapsing. Do you have any data to back up your claim?

A standard based upon just one commodity (such as gold) is far from perfect, and states can debase such currencies; but they don't go to Hell as quickly as does fiat currency.

There are also issues with things like countries leveraging asymmetric trade to drain each other's gold reserves, even if the trade wouldn't otherwise negatively impact their economy, and the monetary supply having literally nothing to do with the productive capacity of the country.

An ideal monetary order would require the elimination of legal-tender laws, and almost certainly have competing issuers of currencies based upon evolving baskets of multiple commodities.

And that causes even more problems, not the least of which are things like company scrip, abusive payment requirements, and an exponentially more complicated tax process.

Currencies, at least in the way your talking about them, are one of those things were "free markets" make absolutely no sense.

last edited at Aug 23, 2021 6:52PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I am so glad we got more than this.

How is this tagged non-moe art? The characters look cute as heck!

Yeah, one of my complaints with that tag has always been that, in my opinion, it's a bit mistitled for what is intended. From the tag page itself:
"For series whose art is significantly different from what you'd call typical anime style of the modern era."

There probably should be several art style tags, rather than just a singular non-moe tag for everything that isn't the normal style. As it stands, the tag covers far to wide a range to actually be useful.

I doubt it will ever happen, but a more robust tagging system that has room for different categories of tags would probably help with that sort of thing.

last edited at Aug 23, 2021 12:06AM

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 21 Aug 18:07
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
92090244_p0-1_eng

That is an interesting shirt, in part because you don't see transhumanism explicitly mentioned all that often. Has this author done more works with transhumanism that aren't on here?

Also, I'm not sure if I quite get the suicide dream part, though I could probably take a few guesses. ... Actually, is that shirt a reference to something else?

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 21 Aug 18:03
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
E9p3zukweaqvwcb-orig

Ah. I love Lin's take on the Touhou characters. They feel more lively and expressive for some reason.

Also, Reimu with dark skin is a great look.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 16 Aug 21:40
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
28903162_p15

So, do those acronyms actually referencing something from the show or are then just KND style acronyms for the sake of it?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

watch it be a misunderstanding

I'm betting that Lilly's just talking about something mundane, like being able to go into town or interact with other humans, without her needing to be present to reassure others or calm Keith down, rather than anything big or dramatic like Keith is assuming.

That is, when she says "when I'm not around" she specifically means "when I'm doing something else at the moment or need to be elsewhere," so Keith isn't stuck waiting around for her or planning her schedule based on Lilly's.

last edited at Aug 16, 2021 7:22PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I dont get the punchline

There are two parts to it. First, tanuki are also called racoon dogs, despite not actually being related to raccoons. Second, Raccoons are known for washing their meals in rivers.

So the joke is she mistook Ponko for a tanuki, when she was actually a true racoon, and now she's frantically scrubbing things.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

What is this and why isn't their more of it? Poko?!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

There's an actual term for this type of character: Bifauxnen and even some of the real life examples can look very masculine.

After looking at the author's pixiv, I hope some more of their stuff gets translated. It looks interesting and unusual.

last edited at Aug 14, 2021 7:11AM

Omega Deuse
Birthday discussion 11 Aug 23:34
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

johnb posted:

I think any story with either the Sequel or the Prequel tags should have some kind of link to the related story.

Oops, I always mean to post the prequel here and then it slips my mind...there's not an easy way of doing what you want technically, but I share your desire for a system like that.

Could you put them in a group, like a two chapter story?

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Hmm I don't if I just forgot but this feels like the only BDSM manga I've read that wasn't toxic in some way and has characters capable of actual communication. Even the random dude she met online ended up a good friend who looks out for her.

Dose The Real Her count?

last edited at Aug 6, 2021 12:31AM

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

If so, is this capacity unique to her? If not, what does the society use as the monetary standard instead of precious metals?

I don't think the monetary standard is that big of a problem, in part because there economy must already look very different from any real life analogs. For example, I suspect the ability of an earth mage to nigh instantly create stable, incredibly durable, structures with no meaningful resource requirements should completely change their economy. At a minimum, stone castles, walled cities, and good roads are now much easier to build, which should have far reaching implications for both warfare and trade. Beyond that, any jobs that would have been based on either extracting resources for construction (e.g. forestry and mining) or actually building structures are now significantly less in demand.

In terms of the currency itself, there are three relatively straightforward solutions.

1. If the countries are stable enough, they could have switched to a fiat currency sooner than real-life. This mitigates would mitigate the problem of mages pulling precious metals or other things out of their rears while also allowing for a more stable economy. (The gold standard and mercantilism were not actually good things.)
  2. Currency could be based on some magical substance that cannot be easily replicated, rather than a naturally occurring one.
  3. Magically created materials could have specific tells that allow them to be recognized as such, like a detectable magical charge, or they could be temporary in nature and will fade over time. I find this last possibility the least satisfying, but it would also help reduce the economic changes caused by mages pulling entire ramparts out of thin air. (Though it wouldn't completely eliminate them, since you can still do a lot by just moving the earth around.)

Circling back to the alloy, how did she actually carbide all that tungsten? AFAIK that substance does not occur in (our) nature, so does it mean that it is naturally abundant in this world's soil? Or does she pull the carbon out of the earth or air (less likely, given how she is not an air mage) and let it react with elemental tungsten? If so, how does she achieve the necessary temperatures of 1000+ degrees without having an affinity for the fire element?

I'm not sure if that's a reasonable set of questions? Even FMA style alchemy, which explicitly cares about the presence of the correct atomic elements, doesn't require you to exactly replicate the normal chemical process to create compounds and wouldn't involve heating the substance to any particular temperature. If this system is more conceptual, with people performing effects based on how they perceive the world to work, then it becomes even less of an issue: Rei did not create her wall by pulling atomic tungsten and carbon out of the earth and then combining them, she summoned a wall with the properties of Tungsten Carbide, rather than more common stone.

Given the way Prince Rod was able to create detailed, animated, flame constructs and Clair was able to utilize some form of plasma or laser cannon, which isn't an obvious form of fire magic, I suspect their magic is conceptual in nature and most people simply don't have the concepts they need to really abuse it.

last edited at Jul 26, 2021 1:32PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I know the focus was on Kiwi's power-up, but it's interesting how Utena's stars changed throughout this fight. At the start, she only has one under each eye, but by the end she has 5 on her right side and upward of 7 on her left. That is quite the swinging power, but it's also interesting in how it progressed over the course of the fight, as Utena got more into it.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Ah. This isn't fair. I want to read Ashen Oil, but I really want to read Lucky Sis. Give me my anthropomorphized fortunetelling styles!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I am concerned. On the one hand, it is very pretty. On the other, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance, so comparing the main couple to them is not a good sign, for at least one of two distinct reasons.

Lol okay yeah that was me being liberal with the translation ^^' The chinese was something meaning like enemies-to-lovers/a couple/rival families so I spun the wheel of my vocabulary and called it a day at 'Romeo and Juliet'.

That's fair enough.

While they get reduced to "fated lovers from rival families" fairly often, Romeo and Juliet also involve a lot more ... less pleasant baggage. It's a story about young idiots getting people killed, including themselves, for nothing. Their deaths, at the end of the play, do a good job of exemplifying everything else: Rather than die for love, they died because they were too impatient and refused to think things through.

The term is "star-crossed lovers"

No. Star-crossed lovers specifically refers to a short lived love, a bright flash that quickly fades away. The phrase comes from the sight of two shooting stars crossing and then going their separate ways.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

My guess is he's just a high-school kid who lives in the same building and recognizes them as the lovey-dovy couple he ends up following home fairly frequently. He might also recognize them from their media work.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 14 Jul 23:51
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011
E5abaxoxiashglx-orig

So, I can't help but notice that the tag is for all three of them, but the one in the back seems unmarked. Does that mean she's the one who went wild?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I am concerned. On the one hand, it is very pretty. On the other, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance, so comparing the main couple to them is not a good sign, for at least one of two distinct reasons.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

idk why but this last chapter hit me differently. Maybe because I've just woke up. But it seems a bit hotter than the others.

Gyaru took a more active, and pro-active, role this time, rather tan always being on the receiving end and putting up halfhearted denials. We saw a bit of that in the last chapter, but it was still mostly Megane on the attack.

It being demonstrably mutual is nice for this type of fluffy smut, even if it was already clear that they both enjoyed it and each other.

Omega Deuse
Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The author did a great job as shown in this thread; everyone got such heated reactions. I personally wished this was longer. Did they make it through? Did she really change for the better? Or was this a terrible end? Ugh.

I hope someone could pick up some of this mangaka’s works. Too good to pass up! And the credits! I hope you guys are okay!

Look at the way Kanon changed herself to get back with Serena and then look at the actual problems Serena had. The two don't line up at all. Instead, she changed herself to look like the idol Serena initial commented on, because she focused on Serene paying attention to that idol instead of her. Similarly, at the end she's talking about how Serena is the only one in her life, while focusing on the attention she gets paid, but Serena was just lamenting her inability to hang out with friends or go to events because Kanon wanted her to solely focus on her.

Put another way, Kanon made drastic changes to herself to regain Serena's attention, but made no effort to improve the parts problems that Serena actually cared about, despite spending plenty of time discussing the grief she caused.

I like to believe people can change and improve, but this is an example of someone very energetically remaining the same.