Forum › Posts by ffins07

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

This isn't the end, right? o__O?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Cute. I'm in for now.

...The third panel with the two girls ladies each other reminded me of FF. So glad the black-hair girl's personality was so "loud" that association was shattered.

The last scene was...a bit odd for me, with the boyfriend being mentioned again. (I kind of thought he had the "ex" label by this point.) This toon seems to be straightforward though, so I guess whatever this is will be cleared up in the next chap.

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Yep, the last chapter, especially, has me thinking none of the girls end up with one another. Plus, it seems to me that Washio and Kotooka are steadfastly looking the other direction.

I found the last Tsukasa installment, chapter 18, a little interesting in that she seems to have matured a bit in her understanding of feelings. It sees less all consuming. I feel that maybe...Tsukasa is less caught up than the other girls. She seems to be appreciating it, but...not believing or hoping that Washio will turn to her.

I guess it's yet another "they're all different": steadfast Washio, in-denial Kotooka and basking-in-her feelings Tsukasa. Active, denial, passive. ...with respect to moving toward a romantic relationship.

The boys' plot is still more interesting, but I'm back to considering Tsukasa main again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I felt and feel the same way about all of those points @MacySan.

It's ...odd how complicated the plot id for the lack of it. So far this is one big setup--a series of gatchas. There's been little to no narrative progression. Learning moments for each of the characters are few: the boys leading, then Kotooka. The latest flavor of "x knows, but y doesn't know" is willful ignorance. (Subaru wants to remain in the dark about his sister's love interest.)

Why, again, is this tagged comedy?

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

One one hand, I'm impressed that we have two characters in a love triangle that have noticed each other's feelings; on the other hand, ...they are both still pretty immature and opt to hold onto their "secrets".

I guess it's a cultural difference, but...man, the lack of communication in these romance manga's is aggravating at times. They always do this angst-generating (chapter-generating) dance. One talk could solve so many problems...

I was pleased by Washio's whole crying breakdown, but then she just... rolls over. Lame. I can't say her choice is realistic, especially for a middle schooler??, but she was already the boring, too-perfect knight in my head. This is just makes her more boring.

I'm down to only liking Tsukasa and Asakura--as individuals--not as a couple. They're the only characters whose flaws don't rub me the wrong way. I actually find Asakura somewhat interesting. He's cool, or something. Not perfect, comfortable in his own skin and not too put-together. And he stated his feelings outright (at least once). Tsukasa... is a typical pure-hearted-supportive-friend protagonist at this point. I have to remind myself she's one of the main characters, but I don't have any reason to dislike her.

The brother needs to go...or someone needs to call an intervention. So much lying. Ugh!

Kotooka is by far the most interesting character, albeit the most divisive (in this forum and in the story). She can even make Washio seem interesting. I don't see this as a dark series, but if it were, watching her self-destruct could raise this story a level in my eyes.

@Author, please show these characters maturing into more appealing people (preferably sooner rather than later).

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I too feel that the ending was abrupt. The "farewell" panel felt like a more...okay?? ending. It would have been open, but the abruptness of the actual ending kind of..unraveled the effect for me.

First chap still best for me.

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@Sunnyskies posted:

Kotooka is really damn good at self-destructing.
She's the human incarnation of a trainwreck.

I agree. She is self destructive, but I find this quality in her refreshing, actually.

I was kind of in the "rolling my eyes" spot when she was being built up as the character feel sorry for and the fans collapsed into her wagon. I mean, it's fine, expected, but...expected is boring to me. That said...the author hasn't yet given us many options because even though Shiratori seems to be the primary protagonist, Kotooka is the most complex character at this point. She's the most interesting character right now, but I hope ...the author develops all three girls more.

Lots of teenager--and just people, in general--are like Kotooka. Hide behind boyfriends, etc., to cover up personal insecurities. There are much more cliché ways of portraying a Kotooka-like character, so I'm still happy with the development of her character portrait. (I'm thinking that the span of time covered is still short, so from chapter-to-chapter we're getting a better sense of who she is and not so much seeing growth in her character, yet.)

As for the chapter, I enjoyed reading it with multiple lenses, with reader knowledge versus Kotooka's knowledge versus Shiratori, etc. The disparate knowledge gives us a very concrete means of evaluating character's reactions differently. In short, I'm enjoying the author's exaggerated?? focus on incomplete knowledge. For example, when we see the half-smile on Washio's face at advising Kotooka, it carries much more meaning (for us readers) than the last time we saw that expression.

Content wise, I'm with a number of other folks in that I have no sympathy for public outing. If she really wanted to help them, she could talk to Washio and Shiratori individually, but she was near to just giving into her own sense of frustration.

Another thought about the Washio advice sequence: It was kind of off putting. I'm with Kotooka on that one. She didn't ask Washio to save anything. A bit presumptuous. I don't know if the author is intentionally giving Washio a bit of a hero-complex flaw or something. Maybe not, given how people seem to be reacting to Kotooka in this chapter. I still see Washio as an unknown, but I'd like to play a bit of devil's advocate and say that Kotooka's not the only one with room to grow here.

ffins07
Beloved L discussion 13 Dec 23:42
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Love the art. Not on board with the high schooler thing, but we'll see...

Is this love all of a sudden or is this time skipping? Kinda feels like both.

Interesting all around...

last edited at Dec 13, 2016 11:43PM

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Nothing's come close to this series for me. I'm not saying that there aren't other good manga or manwha or toons or whatever, but even this setting... It's more mature than the high school stuff, not about over-the-top angst or drama like some of the relatively fewer, other college-setting yuri stories and the art style...

Ssamba.

Geez.. .. 2017 is almost here. Crazy.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I'm hanging in for the art. It's different. The drawings feel very light. It's as if the characters are floating over the panels.

Content wise, the chapters are very short. ...which is kinda doubly felt with the format. I dunno.

Like I said, here for the art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

No art like Ssamba's in any ongoing story. My reading filter is so high now... Still waiting for another manga or manwha to come around to capture my interest. I don't care how long I have to wait. So over high school and faux angst dramas. But, seriously, the art, nothing like it.

Rest easy, Ssamba.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

There's a "main series"? hahahaha...

Whatever. It's cute. I really liked this chapter in particular.

The last chapter...with the "main" not-couple.--I'll just forget about that chapter. -- __ --

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Also near tearing. The "handmaiden" scene really plucked at my heart strings. @palakangorange

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I'm glad she was able to start Chemo. Thanks to all are who sharing and tracking her status updates.

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Gah. Why can't they ever just talk to each other. ha-ha...

Anyway, this series is very...interesting. still. And refreshing.

last edited at Jul 12, 2016 11:35PM

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Talk about a tease. Jeez...

ffins07
Fragtime discussion 31 May 18:02
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Glad to have this back. I'm a total sucker for the 'high concept speculative fiction as a metaphor for adolescence' trope. I swear I've read a million stories where the protagonist has to lose magic to become an adult or find love but the conceit has yet to grow old on me. That sweet, sad loss of innocence and invulnerability just maps perfectly onto my experience of being human.

Murakami's emptiness is heartbreaking. I almost wish I were Moritani so I could reach out to her myself.

@Substance I like this summary.

This chapter gave the story more weight. A pleasing update.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

o/

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Credits. Ouch. ha-ha-ha-ha...

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Chapter was eh, but looking forward to the next one, I think. I was amused at times.

ffins07
Their Story discussion 22 May 17:52
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

This story is so much fun. So cute!

ffins07
Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Meh. Birthdays. I'd forget mine if the internet would let me. My email inbox fills up with auto-generated garbage before, during and after...

I'm terrible with names too. ha-ha

Anyway, this chapter was really cute (although the cuddle scene was a bit of tease).

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

The ending was OK--actually, it just seems kinda terrible. The let's do the thing where it happened part is messed up. Together, they're just ...as Reo said, she'll probably lose herself again.

This final chapter is less happy ending and more lost cause.

It was something to read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at May 22, 2016 5:38PM

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I've still got hope. (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

"Do you like me just because I told you I liked you?"

Asking tough questions.

I hope this story doesn't end with some "cure" or something. It might be nice if Shou could break ground with her sister.

What is going on with Shou... She's detached, but ...I can't tell much more than that. This manga seems to be leaning a bit more toward (alluring) dramatic darkness than psychological portrait/study. I get that the allusion to show being in a "much darker place than [her]" is playing on the fact that although Shou isn't blind, her world is darker. So I guess I could continue to have confidence that this Shou character is not just dealing with some temporary or childhood-trauma-driven disorder.

If this is a more serious manga, it's not just that Shou is getting pulled along. She's finally met someone who interacts without placing implicit expectations upon her. Blind girl (I've forgotten her name) is direct. Which is nice if you don't have ...interests (for lack of a better term). It's freeing. And safe. I think "pulled along" typically carries a negative valence, but I think that for Shou it's a positive because she wouldn't direct. Shou has trouble participating, but blind girl is providing a bridge into the world (a la Perks of Being a Wallflower's friends to the protagonist).

Definitely don't want to see the effects of blind girl leaving, but in life that's how it would usually go.

Well, I'm assuming quite a bit. I really can't tell much about Shou from the snippets thus far beyond what I mentioned earlier, she's detached, withdrawn, somewhat depressed and has some propensity for dissociating. Can't tell how much of what we've seen are side effects of "dealing with" the world versus ...her neurology. If these are all just the former, then she could have all curable things and that would be a bit of a let down.

Looking forward to the next update.