Forum › What type of tablet would work well with the Dynasty Reader?

Aikatsu%2050%20aoi%20ichigo%20hug%20test
joined Apr 18, 2013

I read a lot of Dynasty-Scan's doujin/manga on my computer (1920x1080 screen), and my current tablet (1024x768 163 ppi). While I like reading on my computer I find I slip into having bad posture when sitting in a chair reading on it, and as a result I often find myself reading in bed using the tablet. I've decided to upgrade from the old tablet (tired of its slow connecting to wifi, slow internet connection, slow task switching, and constantly having apps stop responding (including the web browser(s) among other things). Factoring in that I enjoy reading things on the Dynasty Reader I'm wondering if there are any spec that would match well with the content of the site, or in turn hurt my viewing experience.

One tablet I am considering is the Acer Predator 8:
1920x1200
283 ppi
380 nits
16:10 aspect ratio
802.11a/b/g/n, 2x2 MIMO
http://community.acer.com/acer/attachments/acer/predator/1459/1/Predator%208-1.pdf
http://community.acer.com/acer/attachments/acer/predator/1459/2/Predator%208-2.pdf

Another I am considering is the Asus ZenPad S 8.0:
2048x1536
320 ppi
(nits unclear - one site says 299 while another says 387)
4:3 aspect ratio
WLAN802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/specifications/

Either one better or worse for viewing manga/doujin on the site?
Anything else you think I should be looking for or factoring in to my tablet choices when it comes to reading/viewing manga/doujin? Something different you'd recommend?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who has something to share, and replies.

last edited at Nov 6, 2015 10:20PM

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'd go with the Asus. I've had great experiences with Asus and Acer products either way, but I'd consider more than the specs you listed - better camera on the Asus, lighter, screen size and screen to body ratio. The Acer may be a smidge better graphics wise but I doubt you'd really notice the difference. I've been through a few tablets and for internet browsing and reading they all seemed pretty similar to me, not enough of a difference to outweigh cost, camera quality, etc.

But when it comes down to it, it may just be better to find a store that might have them both in stock for you to check out before you buy. The worst thing is getting a new tablet/phone/computer and realizing once you get it set-up that it sits uncomfortably in your hand, or the weight is not to your liking.

I used a bunch of different tablets for work and data collection. I've had a few personal tablets, but I ended up getting a Galaxy because it was a deal with my wireless plan. I haven't noticed much of a difference between it and my work tablets.

last edited at Nov 7, 2015 7:40AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

I have the Asus. I don't use it to read manga, but I tried reading a few chapters on Dynasty and I didn't have any problems. The pages load quickly, the scrolling is smooth and even with my awful eyesight I didn't need to zoom in. I don't have another tablet to compare it to, but for reading manga and comics I think a 4:3 display works better.

Video quality is good. I use headphones so I can't comment on the sound quality.

The battery drains quickly, but I suspect the Acer would have the same problem. If I'm remembering my research right, 8" tablets tend to have a short battery life.

I hesitated for ages before deciding on that model and I'm happy with it, but the Acer looks good too.

Aikatsu%2050%20aoi%20ichigo%20hug%20test
joined Apr 18, 2013

Thank you both esn and TB for your responses and input.

esn, I agree with your suggestion that people try to see tablets under consideration in person. I've seen the z580C (watered down version of the z580ca) in Best Buy, and it seemed like a good tablet from what little the locked down system would let me do on it in the middle of a noisey store. Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere I could check out the Acer. It was just released and the only place selling it are th Acer website, and Newegg (and Newegg's website says they actually will not have it until 11/13 even though it came out 11/6).

TB, you mentioned video quality, so I have a related question. (OT) I plan to watch the occasional anime episode(s) or movie on it. Have you used it for watching such things, and if so how was the experience for it? I worry about potentially small video (with large letter boxing above and below) when it comes to the 4:3 aspect ratio when watching 480, 720, and 1080 content as well as size of subtitles.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I watched anime on my Galaxy Note 2 with no problems, subtitles and all, so you probably shouldn't worry with a tablet.

joined Jan 21, 2015

TB, you mentioned video quality, so I have a related question. (OT) I plan to watch the occasional anime episode(s) or movie on it. Have you used it for watching such things, and if so how was the experience for it? I worry about potentially small video (with large letter boxing above and below) when it comes to the 4:3 aspect ratio when watching 480, 720, and 1080 content as well as size of subtitles.

I use VLC and the subtitles work fine, the size ratio is the same as on my computer screen. Haven't had any issues with the small screen size or the 4:3 ratio; I've only watched videos for about an hour at a time though, I don't know how my eyes would handle an entire movie. 720p plays without issues. I haven't tried playing a 1080p episode or movie, but there were 1080p files pre-loaded in the default folder so it's supposed to work in theory.

Let me know if there are more points you'd like cleared up or if you'd like me to check or test specific things for you.

To reply you must either login or sign up.