Forum › Citrus discussion

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Yuzu, you can either be a sister or a lover. You can't be partially pregnant.

That's actually not how incest works. They won't magically not be sisters/step sisters anymore.

The intention was to say: ''Yuzu, you can either have a sibling relationship with her or a ''I wanna bone her'' - relationship'' the incest part really only applies biologically

joined Nov 30, 2011

That's actually not how incest works. They won't magically not be sisters/step sisters anymore.

The intention was to say: ''Yuzu, you can either have a sibling relationship with her or a ''I wanna bone her'' - relationship'' the incest part really only applies biologically

To a degree but a lot of people (at least outwardly) still view step-sibling/parental relationships as basically blood related.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

i see what you're saying, but in this case Yuzu (and possibly Mei) has not seperated those facts and that is the limiting factor. remember, Yuzu wants this family thing to work. her romantic feelings for Mei only complicates the issue. to boot, Mei doesn't make it any better with her hot/cold attitude towards Yuzu. if they were ordinary classmates, it'd be cut and dry, but they are not, and each has her own issue with what it means to be family. For Yuzu, it has been just her and her mom since her dad died. family is very precious to her. for Mei, she has had a tale of two families: with and without her father. her attitude towards family is that it is cold, unfeeling, disciplined and completely unreliable. also it can disappear at the drop of a hat (thanks dad). for these reasons i argue that each suffers from abandonment issues and to a degree that is one of the reasons they are in the situation they are in. i also think that because they are teenagers, they will behave as such and that is imature, wishy-washy and unsure. this point applies to Yuzu in particular. so for both of them to get where you think they should be will take time. it will also take time for both of them to work through their anxieties about the whole family thing. oh yeah, they both will need to mature since they are teenagers.

on a side note, i wonder (and i am thinking out loud when i write this) if Saburouta is writing this story from the perspective of them being teenagers where one is more mature than the other or from that of an adult? i've come to realize that a lot of the stories we read tend to be waaaaay more mature than the purported ages of the characters. as such, we as readers expect the characters to behave like adults in all situations because we're used to stories being written that way. also if Citrus is being written from an adult point of view, then much of what i've written will be bunk (bunk is another way of saying nonsense or whacky, crack-pot view). so this is my way of saying i may not be right, but i don't feel that i am wrong.

dang, just rereading that makes me think fence-straddler :-)

joined Jan 5, 2015

If we're talking Mei then yes, her story is written from an adult's point of view. She's more a salaryman than a human being :)

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Is pretty obvious she's interested on Sara

Oh I missed the twincest? Damn i'm getting old

joined Jan 5, 2015

Who else thinks saburouta ran out of ideas & stopped giving a damn?

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

If we're talking Mei then yes, her story is written from an adult's point of view. She's more a salaryman than a human being :)

i agree that her character is more mature and adult-like, but for my question, does it apply to the totality of the story. for example, if the characters were in college or older, would the character's personalities still work with the story? if so, then (imho) Saburouta-san is guilty of cookie-cutting a story. by that i mean an idea was hatched from an adult's POV, but applied to a story about of bunch of kids. it only works because readers are used to it, but again imho it does an injustice to the story as a whole. so dont get me wrong, the fact that we are having this discussion says tons about Saburouta's story telling abilities, i just beg the question if they are being lazy to a degree.

ok, that's my mini rant for the day. BTW, Oy! Mei is human. she just has a hard time relating to other humans.

;-)

Who else thinks saburouta ran out of ideas & stopped giving a damn?

i hope not. if so, i wonder if success is starting to take its toll. you always hope not, but i'm sure many of us could name instances where it has caused really good artists to stumble, be it in print or on the screen. however, this kinda goes along the same lines as my response above. maybe "stopped giving a damn" is a bit extreme, but certainly possible. i hope not and will take a slightly higher opinion that it is laziness in the story as a whole. and if chapter 16 is some crack-pot resolution to this conflict, then (sigh) i very well may have to agree with you.

i'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this earlier. yeah, the twins are rather creepy and the way Nina hawks over Sarah says, "i'll do anything to make my Sarah happy, so watch it you... or you'll be next." I really hope something like Nina inadvertently confessing to Sarah happens. it will be really funny to see how her little-big sister handles that.

last edited at Mar 23, 2015 9:16AM

joined Jan 5, 2015

Damn. Before You pointed it out, I innocently thought she is just the sister Yuzu always wanted to be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

i agree that her character is more mature and adult-like, but for my question, does it apply to the totality of the story. for example, if the characters were in college or older, would the character's personalities still work with the story? if so, then (imho) Saburouta-san is guilty of cookie-cutting a story. by that i mean an idea was hatched from an adult's POV, but applied to a story about of bunch of kids. it only works because readers are used to it, but again imho it does an injustice to the story as a whole. so dont get me wrong, the fact that we are having this discussion says tons about Saburouta's story telling abilities, i just beg the question if they are being lazy to a degree.

No, Saburouta is writing this story completely with the premise of the portagonists being high school girls. As I've mentioned many times before, they are acting just like teenagers would do and changing the setting to a college would need a total revamp of them since it can't work on that setting without being pants on retarded.

I believe a lot of readers are biased against the story because is rare to find so flawed characters on japanese media. Despite their age around a 90% of them acts wiser and more mature than their should be.

Also worth noticing that Mei isn't acting like an adult, she's acting like a kid would think an adult should act.

joined Apr 27, 2014

i'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this earlier. yeah, the twins are rather creepy and the way Nina hawks over Sarah says, "i'll do anything to make my Sarah happy, so watch it you... or you'll be next." I really hope something like Nina inadvertently confessing to Sarah happens. it will be really funny to see how her little-big sister handles that.

Ohh...that could be a problem fixer! Nina and Sarah ..and Yuzu and Mei... to each her own, haha,now , I doubt that'll happen BUT it'd be nice. Yes,it would. I'd roll my eyes tho.

joined Jan 5, 2015

I believe a lot of readers are biased against the story because is rare to find so flawed characters on japanese media. Despite their age around a 90% of them acts wiser and more mature than their should be.
Really. Citrus was my gateway yuri manga and even I think the story was cliched from the beginning.
Mei - tsundere archetype, the stereotypical 'top' in yaoi.
Yuzu - tsundere at the beginning, later shifted a bit to moe bottom.
Drill girl - neglected childhood friend that supplies drama.
Yuzu's sister - wacky childhood friend that supplies drama.
Nina & Sara - magical westerners who supply drama (and have a japanese surname but whatever).
Plot developments - outlandish behaviour & sudden realization of one's sexuality -> drama in family that brings the two closer together -> obligatory hard work at school chapter -> obligatory festival chapter -> first childhood friend stirs things up -> more drama & misunderstandings -> second childhood friend etc. -> veeery poor communication results in stretching the story where it ought to end already -> out of nowhere characters are introduced to keep the pace up.

Also worth noticing that Mei isn't acting like an adult, she's acting like a kid would think an adult should act.
Asians have pretty short childhood, you know :)

e: Urgh, Nina x Sara. I can't unsee this.

last edited at Mar 23, 2015 2:26PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Lol I don't think Nina likes her sister that way... :P
Btw guys..I remeber this page in manga http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch04#9
and the girl in Yuzu's magna looks like Nina 0.0

last edited at Mar 23, 2015 5:15PM

joined Apr 27, 2014

Lol I don't think Nina likes her sister that way... :P
Btw guys..I remeber this page in manga http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch04#9
and the girl in Yuzu's magna looks like Nina 0.0

Wow foresight event!!
or just re-use of character design :O ?

I don't know about Nina and Sara... if it ends up in double dates with the 2 sets of sisters I shall sigh and growl.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

That would be really cool actually..if Nina was indeed that girl from the manga and not just a character the author used again. Like, Nina was starring at those mangas and that's why she and her sister are so open on the girl on girl relationship, lol.
I hope we don't get a real incest though. I mean Yuzu and Mei are not really sisters, but an actual incest would ruin it (at least for me)

I wonder, if this manga ever gets an anime adaptation, how long it would be. But I think one chapter is too short to be one episode...unless they add some extra stuff in them, like exploring the side characters more, or showing how the girls spend their free time outside school/ going out. It would be cool :D Oh well maaybe one day...

joined Apr 27, 2014

That would be really cool actually..if Nina was indeed that girl from the manga and not just a character the author used again. Like, Nina was starring at those mangas and that's why she and her sister are so open on the girl on girl relationship, lol.
I hope we don't get a real incest though. I mean Yuzu and Mei are not really sisters, but an actual incest would ruin it (at least for me)

I wonder, if this manga ever gets an anime adaptation, how long it would be. But I think one chapter is too short to be one episode...unless they add some extra stuff in them, like exploring the side characters more, or showing how the girls spend their free time outside school/ going out. It would be cool :D Oh well maaybe one day...

It'd be an awesome anime,but hmm what about it being made into OVAS? I think 3 OVAS would suffice, yeah actual incest it's not the best thing,but pseudoincest is ok xD

Hahaha Nina starring in mangas about sisterly love.
Sweet <3

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Supposedly there was a big Citrus announcement on this month's Yuri Hime. Anyone knows what happened with that?

grlsgirlsgurls
Tumblr_mlx3xqnffx1rsdifjo2_500
joined Mar 23, 2015

It'd be an awesome anime,but hmm what about it being made into OVAS? I think 3 OVAS would suffice, yeah actual incest it's not the best thing,but pseudoincest is ok xD

Hahaha Nina starring in mangas about sisterly love.
Sweet <3

OVAs or anime series for Citrus would be amazing!

The advertisement for Citrus leaves me wanting more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHbgHyYiivc
Can hear their voices - so good.

joined Apr 27, 2014

oohhh,now those voices will play when I read it <3

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I would prefer an anime series! OVAs have too long a wait time in between (I'm a little more impatient these days). Also in recent times, the length of an anime is a lot more flexible. Shorter half seasons can be used. At least, you get a dose every week, than an entire month of downtime.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Citrus is probably the anime most likely to get an anime but there are so many mangas that deserve so much more. Like Murcielago. Or The Real Her. Or Shinozaki-san.

last edited at Mar 26, 2015 6:10PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Citrus is probably the anime most likely to get an anime but there are so many mangas that deserve so much more. Like Murcielago. Or The Real Her. Or Shinozaki-san.

It don't even need to be yuri, there is a lot of manga that deserve anime much more them Citrus, Kamisama no Iutoori is one that definitely should have anime, although they made a live action movie of the first serie.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Nah, it has to be yuri. Anime that aren't yuri are made like every day. If I had to pick between my favorite non yuri manga or Citrus to get an anime adaption, I'd pick Citrus any day of the week cause genre growth.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Nah, it has to be yuri. Anime that aren't yuri are made like every day. If I had to pick between my favorite non yuri manga or Citrus to get an anime adaption, I'd pick Citrus any day of the week cause genre growth.

Yeah you're right, I was reading the new chapters of Kamisana no Iutoori Ni so I didn't remember the importance a new yuri anime would have, specially Citrus that is popular right now.

last edited at Mar 26, 2015 8:39PM

grlsgirlsgurls
Tumblr_mlx3xqnffx1rsdifjo2_500
joined Mar 23, 2015

It don't even need to be yuri, there is a lot of manga that deserve anime much more them Citrus, Kamisama no Iutoori is one that definitely should have anime, although they made a live action movie of the first serie.

Oooh - I didn't know kamisama no iutoori had a live action! But i think i tolerate blood/gore/killing in anime form better than live action.

joined Apr 27, 2014

Oooh - I didn't know kamisama no iutoori had a live action! But i think i tolerate blood/gore/killing in anime form better than live action.

Well in that case, I'd love a series of Amano Shuninta's works made into short OVAS <3 , Shinozaki san, Murcielago or The real her would kick ass too. Hmm I'd like to see anime from yuri yuri,from Namori <3 but since it's so short..hmm what other yuri manga...Hana to hoshi.. GIRLFRIENDS OMG YES.
Ok won't happen D: but still.

Citrus would still be super cool to watch!

To reply you must either login or sign up.