Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

We've come so far from people doubting whether this manga was even yuri, lol.

I dunno if you're reading the same comment section as me, but people were arguing about it not long ago saying it was yuribait. I'm sure it'll come up again.

To be fair, there's still a pretty good chance that we won't see anything definitive as far as confirmed romance goes. It all depends on how you define ''bait'' in the end.

Based on how she normally talks about the series, I'm expecting something like what Yukiko does with her pairs ("Futaribeya," also the recently posted "Cry for the Moon"). Both authors describe their character relationships and their intentions in similar ways. We'll see though.

last edited at Apr 14, 2024 1:13PM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I dunno if you're reading the same comment section as me, but people were arguing about it not long ago saying it was yuribait. I'm sure it'll come up again.

To be fair, there's still a pretty good chance that we won't see anything definitive as far as confirmed romance goes. It all depends on how you define ''bait'' in the end.

Based on how she normally talks about the series, I'm expecting something like what Yukiko does with her pairs ("Futaribeya," also the recently posted "Cry for the Moon"). Both authors describe their character relationships and their intentions in similar ways. We'll see though.

Except that's not really how any of Sumiko's other works go. Like a lot of Yukiko's oneshots are subtext too. None of Sumiko's are.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Except that's not really how any of Sumiko's other works go. Like a lot of Yukiko's oneshots are subtext too. None of Sumiko's are.

As I mentioned, I am basing my opinion on Sumiko's interviews and comments about this series. When discussing this series Sumiko sounds similar to Yukiko when she discusses her own character relationships. I know about Sumiko's other works (like them too) but that doesn't mean every series will be the same. I love Futaribeya anyway, so it's not a negative. It's also just an impression I get.

last edited at Apr 14, 2024 4:38PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

classic Smoothsuki comes in for the save for Aya as usual

joined Apr 10, 2023

None of the author's other works have stopped at subtextual gayness. They got a ton of subtext but the characters being wlw is never on that low level.

If anyone here hasn't read it yet I super recommend Arai-sensei's one shot "The Real Momoka," it's an easy 10/10 for me.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_real_momoka

last edited at Apr 14, 2024 5:35PM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

I was expecting water bottle sharing for an indirect kiss doki-doki moment... Actually kinda happy it didn't go the most obvious route, as this way everyone gets to demonstrate that they're good people that care about her.

(Next time, though...)

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I think that with the success of this work, the gay shenanigans had to take a backseat because the main sponsors of Sumiko have become the music industry (mainly Universal Music Japan) and not the manga industry or the yuri fandom.

She's been enrolled to promote Universal's catalog in Japan, not to promote the gay agenda.

For her sponsors, the gay is secondary. It's cute and it adds some appeal to the manga, but it's not the main theme anymore.

The first part focused on Aya and Mitsuki and the gender misunderstanding, but once it was out of the way, the second part focused mostly on music, because it's what pays the bills for Sumiko. So she toned down the romance (still keeping the rizz moments) and propped up the western music side.

So I wouldn't expect any actual onscreen kiss or definite gay thing, because it's become too big for that unfortunately, even if Sumiko has not shied away from the gay in the past.

last edited at Apr 15, 2024 6:29AM

joined Feb 24, 2023

With 83 chapters, that are only four pages each, and no actual romance this has to be the definitive crown for slowest slowburn I’ve ever seen for a Yuri at the very least. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s bait or anything but I can understand why a some people aren’t on board with how slowly it’s playing out

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I think that with the success of this work, the gay shenanigans had to take a backseat because the main sponsors of Sumiko have become the music industry (mainly Universal Music Japan) and not the manga industry or the yuri fandom.

She's been enrolled to promote Universal's catalog in Japan, not to promote the gay agenda.

For her sponsors, the gay is secondary. It's cute and it adds some appeal to the manga, but it's not the main theme anymore.

The first part focused on Aya and Mitsuki and the gender misunderstanding, but once it was out of the way, the second part focused mostly on music, because it's what pays the bills for Sumiko. So she toned down the romance (still keeping the rizz moments) and propped up the western music side.

So I wouldn't expect any actual onscreen kiss or definite gay thing, because it's become too big for that unfortunately, even if Sumiko has not shied away from the gay in the past.

I could maybe see this, but even recently, chapters 75 to 79 seem much more character focused than music industry focused.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Girl has unspoken Rizz

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

If the series ends with no kiss or definitive romance people are going to cry about this manga like they still cry for Nana

joined Aug 12, 2022

Kadokawa themselves are marketing this as a love story so at least there's that.
link:: https://x.com/Kadobunofficial/status/1779706221894766991

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Kadokawa themselves are marketing this as a love story so at least there's that.

They marketing to sell it. For that matter, Futari Escape was marketed as them being girlfriends despite nothing ever being said on that.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

They marketing to sell it. For that matter, Futari Escape was marketed as them being girlfriends despite nothing ever being said on that.

Nothing except the author saying they didn't feel the need to spell things out bc it was published in Yuri hime.

Things don't always need to be written in bolded, flashing neon letters to be true.

last edited at Apr 16, 2024 9:28PM

joined Sep 10, 2022

Nothing except the author saying they didn't feel the need to spell things out bc it was published in Yuri hime.

Things don't always need to be written in bolded, flashing neon letters to be true.

100% true but what authors consider "yuri" varies quite a bit and doesn't always match up with what most people here would want. You'd also normally want the series to stand on its own without needing to reference it's publication or an authors' comments on Twitter.

Having said that, I do expect this series to be a bit more straightforward eventually, even if it does have a lot it's working with and balancing. It's slower, yeah but I'd still be surprised if it doesn't get there, despite her comments.

last edited at Apr 16, 2024 9:37PM

joined Aug 12, 2022

100% true but what authors consider "yuri" varies quite a bit and doesn't always match up with what most people here would want. You'd also normally want the series to stand on its own without needing to reference it's publication or an authors' comments on Twitter.

Having said that, I do expect this series to be a bit more straightforward eventually, even if it does have a lot it's working with and balancing. It's slower, yeah but I'd still be surprised if it doesn't get there, despite her comments.

That's how I feel about this story too, I initially thought we'd have volume 1 representing Koga's POV mainly, Vol 2 representing Aya's, then Vol 3 would be where things get serious.

Though the story is taking its time fleshing out characters (which I think is awesome, I don't like it when the main focus is on the 2 MCs, everyone else is Henohenomoheji), there is still a lot we don't know yet about the main cast. I can't explain why but I really think the 'real' romance will only truly start once Aya knows what's up with Koga's past + family, we're talking about the reason why Joe and Kanna had to break up:

Aya'll know what's up > she'll help Koga open up > Koga will be comfortable with the idea of sharing her true self + music > social link rank 9, romance enabled lol.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

I hadn't been to the comments for this series for a while so I came to laugh about how there are people on twitter that don't think this series is yuri and I see all of this nonsense is going on here too. Definitely makes me feel like an oldhead because a series like this 10 years ago it would have been no question

joined Aug 12, 2022

I hadn't been to the comments for this series for a while so I came to laugh about how there are people on twitter that don't think this series is yuri and I see all of this nonsense is going on here too. Definitely makes me feel like an oldhead because a series like this 10 years ago it would have been no question

Aside from those who are still angry the kiss didn't happen in chapter 2 lol, I think Sumiko's interviews made many readers doubt the GL aspect, which is too bad because I think this is why some readers are now angry at Narita (like what?).

Then again, we've been conditioned to enjoy great Yuri stories in Oneshot format, so the more chapter we get the more puzzled we are lol.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

This might be a case of me being 40 now, having read a ton of manga at this point and being a tad jaded. Still, I can't help but want something a bit more concrete romance wise. The old '' they got together later off camera'' just doesn't quite cut it for me anymore. I've gotten greedy I guess (⁠^⁠^⁠)

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Look, this might come out as harsh, but it's not about "how you define bait".
If you want to read an out-and-out full-on romance, there are stories for that.
Don't go reading the slowburn, will-they-won't-they stories, and then complain about it being "bait". You've baited yourself, with your expectations. No one else did it to you.

If you really hate when it turns into "won't they", then hold off reading something until you know for sure. Again, don't go splashing around in the comments section attacking the story just because it's not exactly what you want to read.
Dynasty has both kinds of stories, you don't need to get hung up on the ones that aren't your type.

joined Mar 5, 2022

They should have brought some Gaytorade haha

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, I'll be damn, a Comic Soundtrack just showed up...

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Narita should get together with Maki from Bloom into you and start a '' I'd rather just watch from the sidelines '' club :⁠-⁠P

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Narita should get together with Maki from Bloom into you and start a '' I'd rather just watch from the sidelines '' club :⁠-⁠P

My very thought—“another love-watcher.”

The Joe-Kanna dynamic is a pretty entertaining show.

joined Aug 1, 2022

I'm so curious what Narita would have said. But I'm also happy with him being a "love watcher" or cupid like his hoodie said. I now see him as my brother in yuri for sure.

To reply you must either login or sign up.