Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Mar 23, 2022

Welp you know what they say, don't judge a book by it's eye glasses lol

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

The entire family has the same type apparently :P

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

It feels like the author is getting a little lost in the weeds when it comes to the plot and pacing. Not that there's anything wrong with what we've gotten, but the first 20 chapters or so (and the premise from title) felt more like it was quickly heading for explicitly GL territory. I still think it will become at least romance, but maybe it'll take a while, or maybe it'll just be implied... Tbh I'm not sure the author has made up their mind either.

All I know is that their families are super cute! This series really has been a 10/10 on the wholesome scale so far in a way that I wasn't expecting.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Now she's at her house!

The more I read the forum, the more I get frustrated with this comic. First, the author says it's not Yuri then the uploader says it's not romance. So then, why is it even here? I feel so heart broken now and lost all hope towards this series. I wanna cry like totally.

I get it, as I've said before. But I really wouldn't worry too much about that. It's given enough clear hints at where it's going. It's just not focused on doing the typical romantic beats and is focused more on other things. I also wouldn't overreact to the resistance over the term "yuri." That was likely more about the all important step of setting up proper expectations--expectations which I've felt for a while has gotten lost a bit based on how people were discussing things earlier and maybe needs some resetting. So some of these reactions are expected. Also the uploader didn't really say there wouldn't be romance? That was just about their opinion of what the term "yuri" implied.

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 9:39AM

joined Jun 19, 2023

Why is it here? Putting aside all the genre-tag business which may or not turn out the way you think it will, this story is here because it’s a fun story with cute characters, unusual and evocative art, and sweet interactions among the cast.

Not every story is designed to meet your individual emotional needs. It’s possible to just read a story for what’s actually on the page and not obsess about what other people say about it.

What? I can't comment what I want to comment? Ignore me because I'm a nobody who just want to whine about my feelings. If you're just so rational about things then ignore petty people with petty comments like me. As simple as that. No need to emphasize that all reading material here has to satisfy my emotional needs. I'm just a karen stating my feelings. That's it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Why is it here? Putting aside all the genre-tag business which may or not turn out the way you think it will, this story is here because it’s a fun story with cute characters, unusual and evocative art, and sweet interactions among the cast.

Not every story is designed to meet your individual emotional needs. It’s possible to just read a story for what’s actually on the page and not obsess about what other people say about it.

What? I can't comment what I want to comment? Ignore me because I'm a nobody who just want to whine about my feelings. If you're just so rational about things then ignore petty people with petty comments like me. As simple as that. No need to emphasize that all reading material here has to satisfy my emotional needs. I'm just a karen stating my feelings. That's it.

You asked a question and I answered it. That "I can't comment?" stuff really is just pure whining. If you're going to have an emotional breakdown over what other people say about a story, maybe it's best to just read the story.

joined Sep 23, 2022

I don't know it's yuri or not but I love this it's amazing

joined Jul 8, 2019

"Tu quoque, mater?"

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 11:15AM

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Like the Drowning Pool poster on Aya's wall - especially as Drowning Pool are on tour at the moment (wrong side of the pond for me though).

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So much going on in this chapter, it's even more confusing than usual... So we learn that Mitsuki is not good at studying, or at least worse at it than even Aya. Aya is self-conscious as usual, and then the twins and even her mom confuse Mitsuki for a guy, as well. Haven't they already met her? If not, it's still strange, since Mitsuki does not even present herself as particularly masculine here, apart from wearing a shirt (which isn't all that gender-specific, anyway, I think?). Also, we have a undercurrent of Mitsuki getting lost in thought every time the graduation exam is brought up, and by Aya's reaction, I assume it has something to do with her decision of whether to move the States or not. Lots to untangle...

The twins have met her, but they're little kids who can barely talk, and they don't really understand concepts like "boyfriend", and they've already associated that term with Mitsuki, so that's what they call her. They're literally just greeting her out of familiarity and it's the only way they know to refer to her. Note how Mitsuki pals around with them once they come up with her, they're all familiar, she's just taking it in stride.

Mom doesn't know Mitsuki, so she mistakes her for a boy, partly because of Mitsuki's androgynous style, but also because her kids just ran into the room yelling BOYFRIEND BOYFRIEND! but then the little ones recount that Aya said she was "an Onee-chan".

What Blastaar said.

Yeah, I mean, there's plenty of manga on here that are categorized as het, bi, yuri crush, subtext, etc etc. The suggestion that "why is it even here" like, actively ignores that Dynasty is not, nor has it ever been as long as I've been here, just for romantic yuri genre stories.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

You can say whatever you want to say, and people are also free to have opinions about it.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

People seriously arguing whether there's anything romantic going on when Aya once again calls Mitsuki her crush.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

BeanBeanKingdom posted:

People seriously arguing whether there's anything romantic going on when Aya once again calls Mitsuki her crush.

Actually...

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

First, the author says it's not Yuri then the uploader says it's not romance.

It looks like the series is tagged as both yuri and romance on Comic-Walker (Kadokawa's web manga platform). I personally find the romance tag to be unwarranted at this point, but it is funny that the author apparently disagrees with the publisher's designation.

I didn't mind early on, but I have grown tired of the 4-page structure. Every episode needing to complete a narrative arc in four pages is a severe limitation on how the story can be paced, and results in a formulaic feeling. (This would not be a problem in a pure gag comic, but there's an actual plot being attempted here.) And that amplifies my feeling that the story itself is also running in circles...

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 6:12PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Well, we're reading in translation, so 'crush' may be the translator's choice...

Mikage_240_w
joined Aug 22, 2014

Is "crush" meant to be that "stan" usage the series has done before?
This chapter was kind of confusing to read.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Is "crush" meant to be that "stan" usage the series has done before?
This chapter was kind of confusing to read.

I don't have access to the raws, but you may be thinking of oshi, which is slang meaning either (1) someone who is a fan of a specific person, or (2) someone's favorite person, "bias" (e.g. an idol), but it is sometimes translated as "crush".

It's not uncommon in yuri for oshi to be just a step before the eventual crush. it's even put in titles sometimes, like in WataOshi and OshiBudo. In the case of WataOshi, the scanlators translated it as "I favor", while the official localizer as "I'm in love with". With OshiBudo it became "my favorite pop idol".

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 6:46PM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Well, we're reading in translation, so 'crush' may be the translator's choice...

This came up earlier in the series since she also views herself as a fan. They also put crush in quotes, here. I'm assuming she used "oshi" and the quotes are the translators' way of communicating that she didn't necessarily use romantic language there. But maybe someone will correct me.

As Doctor_Hoot said, even if she's using oshi that doesn't say much about where the series will go. Translating "oshi" as crush can sometimes be complicated but its normally not a big deal. What I was concerned about for this series is that it can make people think she's using crush in the romantic sense when she may not think she's doing that yet (and leading to Bean's comment that started this train). That could be an issue but I really like the quote-approach that they took (if it was indeed oshi).

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 10:25PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

I don't think we have to do all that much deliberating on the nuance of Japanese to infer how Aya views Koga considering her other reactions in this chapter. She doesn't view Koga as a "celebrity" or something, but clearly seemed to put her on some kind of pedestal, viewed from some kind of distance. Right before her brothers bust in the room she thinks "aah, it feels like she's just a normal friend..." and she's expressing both excitement and anxiety about Koga coming over her house. I'd imagine her feelings are too complicated for her to put into words even if she was going to try to spell it out for you lol. She's attracted to her but also not yet really comfortable enough with her to conceptualize her as a potential girlfriend, I would imagine. This chapter was a step forward in that regard, bringing her image of Koga another notch closer to Koga's reality instead of Aya's assumptions.

last edited at Oct 16, 2023 6:12AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Critical hits all around. :D

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

A 95 for English.
Another death flag.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Lol are the friends crushing on her too now? XD

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Back in the fight Koga-san! You'll have Aya-chan in your corner ... and her friends.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Mitsuki could have an entire harem of girls if she ever managed to harness her accidental rizz powers.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Mitsuki is now the owner of a gyaru harem.

To reply you must either login or sign up.