Forum › Too Blue to Call Love discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Kyouko is such an open book, there is no way Midori doesn't know

joined Aug 29, 2019

Am I the only one who thinks Midori might turn Yandere? I'm 100% just going off her eyes in the few frames that show her head-on, like the second panel here and the first panel here. They look overly intense, paired with the superficially calm demeanor.
I'm probably jumping at shadows here, but I think it'd be kinda funny if it went dark. I have not read Sinkun's other work and not looked at the raws.

Untitled
joined Sep 8, 2017

Blech, cheaters are absolute scum who should be kicked to the curb and damned, no exception. They have no consideration for their partner’s feelings and are selfish assholes. Even if the girl didn’t mind the cheating itself (for some dumb reason), it still ended up bothering her, and really throws off this “maternal feelings” excuse she gives for still wanting to be with him. Why the fuck would you still wanna hang around and care for someone who has proven multiple times that they don’t care about you at all? I mean, she took a big step forward and confronted him about his cheating and broke up with him! Then she does a fuckin marathon sprint backwards and goes back to living with him and buying him fuckin cakes? Seriously?

Either the author is pulling a pro gamer move and setting up this woman to be a real looney tune with a red flag on her back so big she looks like she’s cosplaying superman, or maybe they’re trying to treat her as a genuinely well adjusted character and trying to make us look at her like how the protagonist does, like “oh sure she’s a little odd…bUt ShEs JuSt So HaWt I cAnT eVeN!” Considering the author just had Kyouko freak out for a second but then go “oh okay” after she explained her dumbass “maternal” reason for staying with him, I’m pretty sure their intention here is to genuinely try to pitch us this character as believable and someone who DOESN’T have some major problems, even though she clearly does to any casual observer. Hell, even her weirdly calm, kinda yandere-ish vibes that other people have noticed were probably unintentional on the author’s part. But when you make a character that makes fuckin insane choices with stupid reasoning, everything else they do is gonna look crazy too.

Idk, I’m just worried for the direction of this manga. Hope it turns around quick.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I agree that with them being childhood friends and all, cutting ties completely when they're almost family was impossible but they ... live together? if that doesn't change soon I'm going to leave this as it is, if she's an angel that's one thing but if that piece of shit doesn't even have the dignity to leave, the inevitable is going to happen.

joined May 3, 2014

Blech, cheaters are absolute scum who should be kicked to the curb and damned, no exception. They have no consideration for their partner’s feelings and are selfish assholes. Even if the girl didn’t mind the cheating itself (for some dumb reason), it still ended up bothering her, and really throws off this “maternal feelings” excuse she gives for still wanting to be with him. Why the fuck would you still wanna hang around and care for someone who has proven multiple times that they don’t care about you at all? I mean, she took a big step forward and confronted him about his cheating and broke up with him! Then she does a fuckin marathon sprint backwards and goes back to living with him and buying him fuckin cakes? Seriously?

Either the author is pulling a pro gamer move and setting up this woman to be a real looney tune with a red flag on her back so big she looks like she’s cosplaying superman, or maybe they’re trying to treat her as a genuinely well adjusted character and trying to make us look at her like how the protagonist does, like “oh sure she’s a little odd…bUt ShEs JuSt So HaWt I cAnT eVeN!” Considering the author just had Kyouko freak out for a second but then go “oh okay” after she explained her dumbass “maternal” reason for staying with him, I’m pretty sure their intention here is to genuinely try to pitch us this character as believable and someone who DOESN’T have some major problems, even though she clearly does to any casual observer. Hell, even her weirdly calm, kinda yandere-ish vibes that other people have noticed were probably unintentional on the author’s part. But when you make a character that makes fuckin insane choices with stupid reasoning, everything else they do is gonna look crazy too.

Idk, I’m just worried for the direction of this manga. Hope it turns around quick.

YAP exactly how I feel, tho it took me reading your comment to be like! OH SO THAT’S WHAT I ACTUALY FEEL!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Looking at this not as a hypothetical ethical problem involving real people and what they “should” do but as a storytelling exercise, I think this is an interesting characterization of Customer-san in relation to Kyouko going forward.

(And I withdraw my earlier comment defending the current presence of the Bisexual tag—there’s no indication (yet) that the customer has any same-sex attraction that she’s aware of, anyway. To be clear, I don’t have much investment in tags one way or the other; I just don’t think Customer-san fits the criteria at this point.)

Kyouko has sparked the customer’s epiphany that she should “break up” with the boyfriend, but what that means exactly in this case appears to be more complicated and the customer’s attitude is more clueless than is usual with this trope. The two of them aren’t falling into a yuri bubble immediately, that’s pretty clear

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

oh no, i liked chapter one so much but chapter 2 feels so problematic lol

I'm all for staying friends with your ex if you broke up amicably and can adjust back to being friends well! but uhhhhh a good friend who became your partner and then went ahead and cheated on you is neither a good partner nor a good friend at all. i agree with @Nekomancer47

kyouko looks like she's being set up to be a pushover and midori (i think that's her name?) seems like she's being propped to "learn" how to love, in this story. ngl, I'm a little tired of this kind of plotline so I might check back in a few chapters later to see how the comments are doing.

hope it's actually a fluffy heartwarming story--- I understand and like that the author is trying to make all the men seem very nice ™️ here but i'm not entirely sure how it's gonna pan out when time comes for the conflict part of this story.

edit:

midori yandere???

hmm, I don't think she's gonna turn out yandere, but I think the author definitely put effort into making her into a character that smiles with her mouth and not with her eyes. (imo it's the "fake" smiling that has us thinking its "crazy" person territory). we'll just have to see!

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 11:33AM

joined Oct 3, 2021

problematic relationship aside, someone bring a gallon of water for Kyouko, she blushed so much I think she's going to die of a heatstroke

but yeah, I think we're going to find out why the series is called "Too Blue to be Love" real soon

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

I understand and like that the author is trying to make all the men seem very nice ™️

Both the brother and customers were all super nice, I don't think it was necessary to redeem the ex-boyfriend, though. Not when they broke over very obvious cheating, which was clearly weighing on her that she frequently ended up drunk and was looking for a place to vent.

Well, this is a story, not a recounting of events, so everything happens for a reason and because the author wanted to include it. And I don't think it was written, from the start, with an intent to make light of the cheating, otherwise it wouldn't have been the set-up for the first chapter. I'm still worried about what the reason is here, though, and how it will be resolved.

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 11:51AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

don't think it was necessary to redeem the ex-boyfriend

completely agree with you here. but like you said, i think (?) it serves some sort of importance for the author to have midori try to reason it out--- i'm thinking this type of thinking is likely going to be the crux of the conflict between midori and kyouko, but who knows. it's only chapter 2 lol

but yeah, I think we're going to find out why the series is called "Too Blue to be Love" real soon

:/
i completely forgot about the name of this work lol

joined Oct 30, 2018

This manga seems absolutely draining is the worse kind of way. Two chapters in as well. Type of story whereby you want the MC to be with someone else who is actually sane but it never happens

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 12:16PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I think that's the point. It's currently seems like it's not a feel-good bubbly love story. Not the twist I expected, not the twist I originally came to this manga for, but out-of-the-ordinary enough for me to continue giving it the time of day.

Also I don't see how ex-boyfriend-scumkun has been "redeemed".

It's currently pretty firmly in Yuri Crush territory, with the potential to go either way.

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 12:42PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think that's the point. It's currently seems like it's not a feel-good bubbly love story. Not the twist I expected, not the twist I originally came to this manga for, but out-of-the-ordinary enough for me to continue giving it the time of day.

Exactly. Kyouko snapping at the boyfriend in Chapter 1 looked like it might be a “meet cute” for a fluffy yuri story, maybe a semi-SOL centered on the bar. Now it looks like it’s going for something else, but exactly what remains to be seen.

joined Apr 16, 2022

While I do somewhat understand the backlash this chapter received, it does make me wonder...did people just skip over Midori telling her ex-boyfriend in chapter one "I do like you, but it's not love anymore"? This twist (if it even is a twist) didn't come out of nowhere, it's based on aspects of Midori's character that were already established.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While I do somewhat understand the backlash this chapter received, it does make me wonder...did people just skip over Midori telling her ex-boyfriend in chapter one "I do like you, but it's not love anymore"? This twist (if it even is a twist) didn't come out of nowhere, it's based on aspects of Midori's character that were already established.

Well, to be fair, that certainly is consistent with Chapter 2, but by itself it can be read as a standard let-them-down-easy brush off. It didn’t necessarily indicate that she was going to stay entangled with him and his family, (and I had in fact forgotten that’s how she said it).

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Hoo boy im intrigued of whats gonna come next when the parents meet Kyouko

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Hoo boy im intrigued of whats gonna come next when the parents meet Kyouko

Yeah I think this setup is interesting. Certainly not standard, which is generally good.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Well, to be fair, that certainly is consistent with Chapter 2, but by itself it can be read as a standard let-them-down-easy brush off. It didn’t necessarily indicate that she was going to stay entangled with him and his family, (and I had in fact forgotten that’s how she said it).

That's a fair point, I just think people are letting their outrage at cheating (and cheating is bad of course) blind them to what Midori is actually saying.

Midori is a weirdo who never lets her emotions show. This is off-putting to most people, including most people in this thread lol. Baba, however, is an easygoing and carefree guy; that's why he's one of the few people willing to hang out with her. That's probably the reason she originally fell in love with him. But those qualities are also precisely why he continually cheated on her. And I suspect that Kyouko was the cause behind her deciding to break up because Kyouko demonstrated there was someone besides Baba (and his parents) who cares about her.

None of this is particularly dramatic or messy imo. It's just kind of weird and unique because of how weird and unique Midori is.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

That's a fair point, I just think people are letting their outrage at cheating (and cheating is bad of course) blind them to what Midori is actually saying.

Midori is a weirdo who never lets her emotions show. This is off-putting to most people, including most people in this thread lol. Baba, however, is an easygoing and carefree guy; that's why he's one of the few people willing to hang out with her. That's probably the reason she originally fell in love with him. But those qualities are also precisely why he continually cheated on her. And I suspect that Kyouko was the cause behind her deciding to break up because Kyouko demonstrated there was someone besides Baba (and his parents) who cares about her.

None of this is particularly dramatic or messy imo. It's just kind of weird and unique because of how weird and unique Midori is.

Yeah I think people are making some snap judgements. It'll be interesting to see where the story intends to go from here. The only thing I'd disagree with is Midori's being "weird." Everyone is different and just because she might have a different setup than people are used to doesn't make her weird and shouldn't create an outrage. As for her living situation, we will know soon enough what her setup is with her ex. She could very well be planning on moving out after the breakup. Too early to be definitive, either way.

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 2:57PM

joined Jan 28, 2022

I agree with this. Not sure how well the "never lets her emotions show" part will age though, since she did respond to an emotional problem (cheating) with physical violence (punching ex-kun) which means she could very well do the same to protagonist-chan. That seems like the biggest red flag to me, but it could also just be a moment of early-installment weirdness and they'll never bring it up again.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

problematic relationship aside, someone bring a gallon of water for Kyouko, she blushed so much I think she's going to die of a heatstroke

I remember hearing an explanation somewhere that the Japanese word for blue "aoi" is also used to refer to things that are "green"/immature in the young/fresh/innocent kind of way. Apparently it has something to do with how blue and green used to share the same word/character once upon a time.
Going by that, it wouldn't be too big of a surprise if this series will be focusing on that discovering budding romance sort of thing.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Cogito posted:

No at all, at least in my case I never said that the bad thing is she being aloof and while a lot of people expressed their desire to never see the guy again, some other understand that they have a bond that can't be severed immediately... What bothers me is the implication that they still live together, that's fucking messed up! are we going to see him from time to time bringing more women ?

last edited at Feb 26, 2023 4:15PM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

What bothers me is the implication that they still live together, that's fucking messed up! are we going to see him from time to time bringing more women ?

... the first chapter basically straight up said she is moving out though. Can't imagine how "I saved up enough to dump you" and "I retrieved my things from your place" could mean she is staying. Maybe she is just visiting him to eat the cake or whatever (or didn't move quite yet :P)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah I think people are making some snap judgements. It'll be interesting to see where the story intends to go from here. The only thing I'd disagree with is Midori's being "weird."

Agreeing with this whole thread, except to say that Midori is weird-- for a yuri manga protagonist.

We're all used to getting a different read (or maybe any firm read at all) on a character in this particular situation, and we're not (yet) being given very much to go on. Kyouto is all signals and direct information to the audience about what's going on with her, while in regard to Midori the audience is like Kyouto, stuck trying to parse out what the deal is with this person.

And I'm not making any kind of realism argument about the character when I say that while my guess is that the trope of the family who wants to stay connected to their child's ex after they break up may be uncommon in manga, it's really not at all that unusual in real life.

That may be because the two families have been friends forever, or because their own child is kind of a numbnuts and they think more highly of the now-ex than they do their kid. (That doesn't mean they don't love their child, but almost every family who I know much about has at least one member in the extended group who everyone considers kind of a dolt, bless their heart.)

To reply you must either login or sign up.