Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Heh... All that jokes about "Is being a lesbian required to be in Seiran" kinda reminds me of a pun I made on page 81...

As for the second paragraph, I made a pun (but, as you can see, deleted it) stating how Seiran is so full of lesbians, that one could say it's saturated...
or, should I say...
satyuriated?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QoPWALM2riQ

Heh...

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily_ch15#29 so i started rereading this series since it finally fully translated and i just want to ask,what did she meant when she said "my god... thank you for leaving me Yukina", is she thanking Yukina for leaving her(which didn't happened at all so if this is what it means then it doesn't make sense unless i missed something) or is she thanking god for leaving yukina to her?(i think this is what she meant but the sentence is really hard to understand so im not sure) sorry if this is a stupid question, its like 4am here so my reading comprehension is pretty dull at the moment.

It's the latter, obviously. The former meaning would be written "thank you for leaving me , Yukina."

I feel it would be doing the couples a disservice to rank them. Each pairing is good in its own way.
Except Nagisa and HIkari! You stupid tsunderes get a clue and kiss already! Rawr!

True… I don't know who said earlier that Nagisa and Hikari wouldn't confess even when they lived together in a house full of cats in their seventies. The first two are already complete. Okay, they only got one cat for now, but that will come!

^ …Ehem. >.>

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 2:11PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

True… I don't know who said earlier that Nagisa and Hikari wouldn't confess even when they lived together in a house full of cats in their seventies. The first two are already complete. Okay, they only got one cat for now, but that will come!

^ …Ehem. >.>

I called it—it always starts with one cat.

Asuka and Mikaze actually were a pair with a little more depth to their conflict than most, but it was the hardest one for me to get into, maybe because when we meet them they’re already in the middle of breaking up.

But Nagisa and Hikari really are pretty much a pain in the ass—they could use a common enemy to bring them together in shared antipathy.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Wow what a journey! i love it! really good story and characters! hope for bonus chapters in the future and who knows, maybe an anime adaptation!

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 3:09PM

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S OVEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Pretty mediocre manga to the end. With too many forgettable characters.

Never forget, just because you are so forgetful that you forgot the characters does not mean they are forgettable.

But Nagisa and Hikari really are pretty much a pain in the ass—they could use a common enemy to bring them together in shared antipathy.

That's why of all the pairings these two need a spin-off the most. I actually quite enjoy double tsundere pairings. And the sharing a house setting is extremely useful (only replicated by Haine and Aika, but the central conflict here was separation). I also really like their designs.

Bring it on Canno! I'll buy it!

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I actually struggled a bit with keeping all the characters straight, too. Mostly because I consume ungodly amounts of yuri manga and manga in general so often things like names don't stick well in my head. But I went back and re-read it from the start a few months ago and that helped a ton. And now it won't be around anymore and I have A Sad.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Decent. I give it 8/10.
Way too many characters IMO.
A tighter focus on the main couple would promote this to a solid 9 from me.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Decent. I give it 8/10.

i think the main couple has enough focus the main issue is the fact that is spread through all the manga even being present in other character arcs

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@benja posted:

Decent. I give it 8/10.

i think the main couple has enough focus the main issue is the fact that is spread through all the manga even being present in other character arcs

I don't like "lots of characters", but this was the bigger problem for me. I developed some attachment to the main main couple when the story started and all the other pairings and stories were "in the way" of development for me. The developments were too scattered; emotional momentum lost, and thus my attention and interest withered... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 8:14PM

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

the one pair that I didn't quite understand is Towako and Yukina, why was Towako ruining the gardening club if that's what Yukina wanted? I didn't really get the part with "Not wanting anything to change" thingy. Is Towako like a yandere?

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 8:51PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

the one pair that I didn't quite understand is Towako and Yukina, why was Towako ruining the gardening club if that's what Yukina wanted? I didn't really get the part with "Not wanting anything to change" thingy. Is Towako like a yandere?

She was leaning yandere for sure, until a brisk smack in the chops (followed by a long-delayed heart-to-heart) recalibrated her value system.

Facepalm%20godzilla
joined Dec 15, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily_ch50#31

This picture sums up this manga perfectly. The main characters are in the middle which makes it seem that they might be the main focus of the story but if you look at the picture as a whole you notice that the side characters make up about 80-90 % of the drawing.

I don't despise this manga but keeping myself from dropping it after the story got sidetracked so hard that I midway through the manga forgot who the main characters of this story were was hard. I wouldn't mind if the story was about the school rather than shiramine and kurosawas relationship or if the sidestories were actual side chapters.

This manga really started of strong with two good leads and a not very unique but interesting enough setup for their relationship but it diluted into an utter mess of sideplots and sidestories that have little or nothing to do with the main story except the fact that they go to the same school.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

^ Agreed

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily_ch50#31

This picture sums up this manga perfectly. The main characters are in the middle which makes it seem that they might be the main focus of the story but if you look at the picture as a whole you notice that the side characters make up about 80-90 % of the drawing.

I don't despise this manga but keeping myself from dropping it after the story got sidetracked so hard that I midway through the manga forgot who the main characters of this story were was hard. I wouldn't mind if the story was about the school rather than shiramine and kurosawas relationship or if the sidestories were actual side chapters.

This manga really started of strong with two good leads and a not very unique but interesting enough setup for their relationship but it diluted into an utter mess of sideplots and sidestories that have little or nothing to do with the main story except the fact that they go to the same school.

To me the story wasn’t just about the main and their slice of life yuri goodness. It was the overall growth of their characters where yurine found she could have fun and be more open with others.
Ayaka needed to learn she didn’t always need to be the best at everything. (only two examples, of course there’s more)

What helps best with character development? Interaction with others. The fact that everyone has a love interest was a bit of a stretch to be fair, but I still liked it overall.

If this is to many characters I wonder what some would think of the clamp universe with multiple works that coincide with each other all with their own mc’s

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 10:48PM

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

So the story literally ends with A Kiss And A White Lily bouquet...

Clever author

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

Unsurprisingly every person has their own story. And those you perceive as the "main pair" are also just parts of their lives from their perspective. So they will appear and influence them, but not be the actual focus of those arcs.

In return the main pair's relationship developed realisitcally over two school years and as any person knows, change doesn't happen instantly. We got the important stages inbetween the other stories as an overarching progress bar of the manga, but that's not a bad thing in itself.

Lastly for people who say they kept forgetting characters, that's more due to reading chapters over big stretches. Reading it in one go makes it pretty easy. It's the same issue as when people say something is a slow burn because they have to wait one week for every short chapter, but when they read 20 in a row it doesnt feel stretched out at all.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 7:45AM

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

I admittedly had that benefit where I started late and got to read three quarters straight through to be fair, which probably gave me an edge from having to wait for each chapter. I liked the pace since it was over such a large time frame. We did see them go through most of their high school days after all.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 5:34AM

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

I can’t believe it’s really over.

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

My favorite couple would be Izumi and Chiharu, I dunno I'm just into the blockhead student x responsible student type of thing : )

They're just so perfect for each other and their relationship is wholesome, seeing how their relationship is going at the last chapter.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

So what would be your final ranking for the AnoKiss championship? To me that woud be:

1 − Mizuki & Moe
2 − Ayaka & Yurine
3 − Chiharu & Izumi
4 − Yukina & Towako
5 − Sawa & Itsuki
6 − Hikari & Nagisa
7 − Amane, Ryou & Nina
8 − Asuka & Mikaze
9 − Haine & Aika (I like Haine but Aika not so much)

Mine's:
1 - Ayaka & Yurine
2 - Chiharu & Izumi
3 - Mizuki & Moe (almost at the same level that Chiharu & Izumi, but they just are so perfect ;^;)
4 - Sawa & Itsuki
5 - Yukina & Towako
6 - Asuka & Mikaze
7 - Hikari & Nagisa
8 - Haine & Aika
9 - Amane, Ryou & Nina (the poliamory thing just feel so rushed for me)

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 9:14PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Pretty mediocre manga to the end. With too many forgettable characters.

Did you sly read the 10 volumes to get to this conclusion? lol, if I don't enjoy a manga I stop reading it after 3 volumes and don't enter in anything related to it xD that's hate, man.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The main problem here is not the manga's structure, but people not getting said structure. If you go in with the assumption it will follow the "main pair" as the central driving plot you just misunderstand the point. Shiramine and Kurosawa are the framing device that holds the narrative together, but ultimately it is a story that follows relationships at the academy.

I remember starting this series and just getting confused a lot. The first couple of chapters made it look like a fast-burning short-ish story (remember, Kurosawa’s already out there on the balcony biting Shiramine in chapter 2), then suddenly we switch gears to Moe and Mizuki, with the first two characters in the background—I thought I must have missed some chapters or something. (The surface resemblance to Comprehensive Tovarisch, which was already well underway if I recall correctly, didn’t help me keep things straight in my head either.)

But by the end of the first volume it was clear how the structure was going to work (and the Little Theatre made it very obvious that if you didn’t like lots of characters, this probably wasn’t the place for you). For quite some time, whenever a new chapter came out I kind of yearned for the OTP, and I never could quite decide if the “other” chapters were better or worse with no OTP at all—the little Yurine/Shiramine cameos and “guest appearances” just reminded me that the parts I was reading weren’t my absolute favorites.

On longer acquaintance, though, I really came to like the structure a lot. It built a dense and plausible (given its explicit and implicit premises) world around the OTP, and the diverse romantic struggles of everybody made the basic Kurosawa-Shiramine conflict seem like less of a game with only a few possible moves and more like characters actually growing up and growing together over an extended (or so it seemed in narrative terms) period of time.

I’m not really familiar with many stories (romantic comedies, in any case) that have a structure just like this one—you’ve got stories with an A, B and maybe a C plot, or you’ve got long-runners with fairly open-ended ensemble stories, but I myself haven’t run across anything quite like a story with a central pairing surrounded by a whole constellation of subsidiary pairings that take center stage for long stretches.

This one had its own rhythm, and I understand why it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. But I definitely think it accomplished what it set out to do very skillfully, and (for me) very enjoyably.

Sample_0bc66a359c3af4a24555c4bef5b4c655
joined Oct 5, 2015

"Content licensed for English release has been removed from the reader."
So... Does it mean that it [i]will[/i] be removed? 'Cause I can still see all 10 volumes.

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

So what would be your final ranking for the AnoKiss championship? To me that woud be:

1 − Mizuki & Moe
2 − Ayaka & Yurine
3 − Chiharu & Izumi
4 − Yukina & Towako
5 − Sawa & Itsuki
6 − Hikari & Nagisa
7 − Amane, Ryou & Nina
8 − Asuka & Mikaze
9 − Haine & Aika (I like Haine but Aika not so much)

Tis mine:
1 − Ayaka & Yurine
2 − Chiharu & Izumi
3 − Asuka & Mizake
4 − Sawa & Itsuki
5 − Mizuki & Moe
6 − Yukina & Towako
7 − Hikari & Nagisa
8 − Haine & Aika
9 − Amane, Ryou & Nina
(I don't really like love triangles/polyamory and incest but that's just my opinion) : )

To reply you must either login or sign up.