Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I'll be over in a corner fangirling...

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

I'll be over in a corner fangirling...

I will join you in that fangirling can't wait to see what happens to the machine.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Most people just call them Root and Shaw :p Shoot is fitting (and I'm pretty sure the name was picked by the show's writing team when fans couldn't decide between Shoot and Raw) but many ship names do tend to sound kind of dumb.

From the looks of it, Shaw will be back for most of the season (starting with episode 4 I think?). They've also hinted very strongly (Sarah Shahi all but shouted it from rooftops really) that there will be a sex scene. The fandom freakout was pretty epic.

joined Mar 25, 2013

From the looks of it, Shaw will be back for most of the season (starting with episode 4 I think?). They've also hinted very strongly (Sarah Shahi all but shouted it from rooftops really) that there will be a sex scene. The fandom freakout was pretty epic.

I guess it's compensation for probably killing off the whole team at the end of the season xD After all, the writers have stated multiple times that a happy ending for them was highly unlikely, if they managed to survive. Also who knows what they'll do with Shaw I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw was the one who kills them, or maybe Root/Harold

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 3:24PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I'm still not sure killing off everyone just to end the show is a wise move, aside from turning the yuri fanbase rabid by killing off Root and Shaw, it just stinks to me of lazy-writing. It reminds me of what they did in Serenity (Firefly), killing off one of the main characters.

joined Mar 25, 2013

As sad as it would be if they kill off some/all characters, it would be pretty ridiculous if no one died while they annihilate the enemy. As long as they make the deaths mean something or are not just because they need to kill off someone I'd be content. Not happy, but I'd be able to take it. I'm still hoping for Root and Shaw to live, even if it's only them, and have a happy-ish life together that is according to their characters.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I guess it's compensation for probably killing off the whole team at the end of the season xD

I've been thinking the same thing. On the other hand, they're hoping for a sixth season on another network, so most of the main cast should make it. Hopefully.
But it does seem unlikely for everyone to survive the season. John had a lot of death flags last season that I thought could be interpreted either as him moving on from Carter and trying to be happy again, or making peace with the fact that he'll die soon. Unfortunately after John, Root seems like the most likely candidate.
Having Shaw turn against the team and kill one of them is the first possibility that comes to mind about her storyline, but it would be too much of a cliché IMO. I don't think they'd go for a shock value death for a main character.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I agree with Telamon, as long as they die in a way that fits their character, then I'll be able to deal with it. If they just something half-assed I'm going to be pissed.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 3:58PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

Well, Shaw's sacrifice was exactly how the character should have gone, and Carter's death, although the way it happened sort of annoyed me, still weighs on everyone. If they're gonna go there I think they'll go all out.
It's still going to hurt like hell, though.

I've been saying forever how I wish TV shows stopped killing off their f/f couples, and then I went and fell in love with POI. Not a wise move on my part! I don't think this show will be the one that breaks from the tradition, but I'm going to be shallow and hope that the hot girl-on-girl action that comes beforehand will make the tragedy hurt less.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, I'm seriously reconsidering getting invested in the show right now.

joined Mar 25, 2013

^ You should, it's really worth it.

They have been saying that the ending of the season is at the same time satisfying and kind of open-ended, so there will be characters surviving, it comes down to the question of who will survive. I think I've said this before but, Shaw's 'sacrifice' wasn't meant to happen and instead it was John who was supposed to die, and I do think the writers did mean really die instead of what happened with Shaw.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 4:18PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

Well, it's an amazing show even without taking the romance into consideration. But if you don't want to watch unless you're sure they both survive (which I completely understand), I'd recommend checking back sometime next spring, after the final season has aired.

As I've said before, basically the entire crew is a huge team of Root/Shaw shippers. They're proud of what they're doing with the relationship and I'm pretty sure they're well aware of the high death toll for LGBT characters on TV. And as telamon said the only reason the sacrifice/apparent death happened in season 4 was because the actress got pregnant, otherwise the plan was for one of the male leads to die. I may be naive, but if they have to write an obligatory death this season I think one of the guys will go first.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 4:30PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

I'm thinking it would be John. Not because he was supposed to die but because his character arc is the most complete I feel. He more or less made peace with the whole Carter hallucination episode. The next most likely death would probably be Root and then Shaw.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 4:50PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Yeah let one of the guys go instead of knocking-off one of the girls. John should out in a blaze of heroic glory.

If they do some goofy setup where only Finch survives, and they try to do a 6th season with newbies, it's just going to fizzle.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 4:51PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm still not sure killing off everyone just to end the show is a wise move

Hey, it worked for Blackadder.

joined Mar 25, 2013

^ That's kind of different though xD

Kitsune, TB (and others), what is your favorite episode besides the obvious ones? I'd go with 1.04. Very strong end that left it up to the viewers decision what happened with him. I kinda think he did kill him in the end, because even if he was asking him to decide, he did say that people don't change, so to me it seemed like Reese wanted him to convince him that he wasn't going to do that and if he didn't then he'd be dead. Kind of a last chance.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 7:21PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I really really liked that, pretty sute it was my favourite non-yuri ep. Favourite non-yuri scene though is when Root snapped Martine's neck. xD

joined Jan 21, 2015

More fangirling? Sure, why not! But is it okay with the mods if we continue our thread takeover?

I'd go with 1.04. Very strong end that left it up to the viewers decision what happened with him.

Yeah, that episode was great. Judging from comments I've seen, it's the first episode that made people think, "this show is different". Some suggest that Reese sends the guy to the same Mexican prison where he sends some other guy later on... a wife beater I think, but I like the fact that you can make up your own ending and nothing will contradict you. I agree with you though.

Some non-Root/Shaw centric favorites off the top of my head are 3x05 (badass Shaw and Carter and great team banter), 4x09 (for the Elias storyline, surprisingly!), 4x20 (ouch) and the "bottle episode" with the serial killer (can't remember which one it was, but I thought it used the classic format well).
And there's the individual scenes that blow your mind, like (retrospectively) that time they predicted the Snowden leaks, or the times when all the pieces of a plotline click together after months/years of buildup. Or every time Carter is a badass.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Also anytime Shaw and Root are together with their flirting and generally being badass. :3
I suppose that counts as being obvious favourites though lol.

TB we've fangirled over this show before in this thread..

joined Jan 21, 2015

TB we've fangirled over this show before in this thread..

I know, but every time I wonder if we should! I feel kind of weird about it. But never mind me. The fangirling does fit the thread's subject, so I guess it's all right.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Elias is a really good 'villain'. I also liked how they did the fourth season, what with the Elias/Dominic mirroring The Machine/Samaritan. The writers know their stuff. Especially when it was revealed that Finch made the program on the laptop that Kara and John were supposed to get, and that was shown sometime in the fourth season. They really make the more prominent villains stand out. I liked 3.16 a lot as well, where we saw from Root's POV what happens generally around her.

The interviews really reveal how far ahead Nolan and Abrams thought when they were making the first season.

All in all, this is by far my favorite show that I watch for the plot.

last edited at Oct 12, 2015 8:43PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

I like how their well their antagonists are fleshed out, compared to many other shows. It really makes a difference.
Root before she was adopted by the Machine was a fantastic villain. And the team's relationship with Elias was fascinating-- not really enemies, not really allies, but sometimes they worked together against a common enemy. And I really liked Control. She provided the point of view of someone who thinks mass surveillance is a necessary evil. With the debate on the subject IRL it was necessary to show both sides of the coin to the audience.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Elias is one of my most favourite villains now, he was relateable almost. That's the mark of a well-written villain instead of the 2d puppykicking type we get too often.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Then we all agree, the villains here feel like people instead of being villains for the sake of it (:

To reply you must either login or sign up.