Forum › Beginning as a Scanlator

joined Oct 30, 2017

Just a quick question, I edited and typeset a work from /u/ on 4chan and requested an upload not too long ago, is there any form of notification for a rejected upload? I would just like to know if I will be contacted so I can fix anything I may have done wrong, thanks!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hey, sorry for the lack of any reply. The team is a bit in a scram at the moment and I only just got back after a long, unexpected trip. If you'd like to communicate directly, feel free to e-mail me, or contact me on Discord at #0863 Orange Pekoe. Otherwise I'll take a look and try to get back to you when I can.

joined Oct 30, 2017

Awesome. Thank you!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hi, you'll have to pardon my delay. Lot going on at the moment. Generally speaking, you will not receive any notification if a request has been rejected, such a feature simply can't exist within our current workflow. You can always reach us here on the forums, or at the contacts that I referenced earlier.

That said, since you made this handy topic, I'd like to highlight a few things in your work. Thank you kindly for your efforts, I really appreciate you. I would encourage you to fix up some of the points I'll raise and to keep at it - the bit of extra time invested in what I'll highlight really do go a long way in making a for a more pleasant and memorable reading experience.

First off, the size of the text is generally larger than it needs to be. You can check out this handy link to get a sense of what might look nicer. A roughly consistent font size throughout a work is also more pleasing and effective for readers - thus, they can better appreciate font/size changes meant to elicit more vivid emotions.
It is also good practice to use one font per type of speech - this would mean one font for dialogue bubbles, one for small text outside bubbles (commonly referred to as asides), one for thoughts, one for narration, one (or more) for bolds, and so on. This link is pretty effective in exploring these ideas further, and offers its own list of potential fonts to use.

Secondly, here and there exist instances of small cleaning mistakes. Page 2 serves as a good example - bubble 2 has a white splotch on the "T" in "TOLD," whilst bubble 3 has a black dot above the "H" in "AH." I'm not sure about the T, but when cleaning it can be very helpful to throw up a cleaning layer, as demonstrated in this gif. If the ancient nature of the gif is confusing, it's just a leveling layer with the values of 0, 0.10, 255. This will help highlight areas where you may have missed bits of leftover text. (hopefully it's self-explanatory)

Third, on pages 26, 29, and 30, there are slight cropping mistakes, wherein the edge of a previous (or future) page has made its way onto the current page.

Fourth and (almost) lastly, I mean no offence, but something awful seems to have happened on page 23. Much of the aside text is varying shapes and sizes, some parts of the text look like they haven't been aliased at all, others look incredibly blurry - as though some effect was applied to them or some terrible tragedy occurred in rendering. I would highly recommend redoing this page, while making an effort to stay consistent on the aside text's font size, shape, etc.
Launching off this and into the actual last point, there are definitely times where sacrifices have to be made as far as text/art placement, but I would really recommend against placing aside text as a note. Unfortunately, the note works doubly poorly given that it is reversed vertical text. For this page, if all the aside text is shrunk to be closer to the raw, you should be able to fit it.

I'll just say to end that you don't need to make all of the above changes, what changes you make are broadly up to your discretion. These are suggestions from me as to how I believe your work could be improved. Feel free to put in another upload request when you've made whatever revisions you choose to. Best of luck in your work, and please do get in touch if you need anything.

To reply you must either login or sign up.