Forum › Understanding fontified kanji?

joined Oct 21, 2010

For all the translators out there, how do you manage to recognize kanji that are written in a different font?

I'm a beginner only starting to learn various kanji, but I can normally at least decipher them with the various radicals and number of strokes. It takes me a looong time to translate a page, but at least my reading seems to be correct in the majority of cases (For example, I translate a few pages of "Linkage", then check your translation to see if I was correct).

My problem is when a different font is used, or that it's in "italic". Like it's sometime used for characters whispering or such things. How are you supposed to recognize the kanji when it becomes little more than a tiny scrunched mess? For example, I'm currently reading through Renai Joshika. It's going very slowly but also smoothly (Plus it's pretty funny and entertaining so far), but there's occasional spots like on page 10 with the yet-unnamed girl talking about her Princess Hunter game that has kanji in a weird font with some characters that are pretty much just illegible blotches. I can still recognize the hiragana and some of the "italic" easy kanjis (Like those for Prince), but I have absolutely no ideas how I can identify those two complex ones at the bottom...

So how do you do it?

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

The completely unhelpful answer is that with a lot of practice, you start to get a feel for what sort of words, phrases, and kanji might appear in certain situations. But that's not something that can really be taught, it just comes with experience. Context often very helpful in determining what smudge-ji are supposed to be, though I can't say that it always does. At worst, try and pick out any radicals that you think you can identify and work your way through potential options logically. If you really get desperate, you could try drawing what you think you see on the Windows IME pad and see if it comes up with anything you haven't tried yet.

joined Oct 11, 2010

and when in doubt, i ask Seravi ;p
his kanji recognition is wider than mine.

joined Oct 21, 2010

It actually wasn't completely unhelpful :) Shamefully enough, I didn't actually know about the Windows IME pad. I still use http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html
as my main tool, but the pad is pretty handy for the simpler kanji I don't know (Like 5-6 strokes ones without a radical) since it saves some time.

So thank you for the answer! Regarding the two kanji I was trying to figure out, using a magnifying glass did the trick: It enabled me to see a radicals I couldn't identify before and I did manage to find them in the end. Unfortunately it turned out to be pretty mundane words that didn't really 'enhance' or change anything in the phrase, but... At least I'm unstuck in my translation :)

To reply you must either login or sign up.