Forum › Posts by dipster

joined Sep 24, 2022

The amount of explicit sapphic pining and implicit queerness seems to qualify what’s going on between them as “text” more than anything. If you’re going to call what has been shown to be Aya’s conscious attraction to Mitsuki’s butch masculinity “straight” or “confused”, I genuinely don’t know what to tell you.

last edited at Oct 24, 2023 12:21AM

joined Sep 24, 2022

Where are the lesbians in this manga. Since the beginning all the women we encounter were or are in a heterosexual relationship. Or is this another manga where we follow two women living together and the two of them will develop feelings for each other but not enough to become a couple... Whatever I'm dropping this sh*t

Uh, have you not heard of bisexuality?

Or even that a lot of lesbians aren’t gold stars. That probably goes doubly in a society with strong pressures to conform where being gay, especially openly, is far less accepted.

joined Sep 24, 2022

I don’t understand the cross dresser insinuation, it’s not like she’s a drag king, she’s butch, you can especially tell after this week because she knows how to put together Ikea furniture.

joined Sep 24, 2022

So is this like that self-fulfilling prophecy? You don't do something (or do something) to avoid a specific thing from happening ... And because of that, it happens.

I mean Mitsuki is being a bit of garbo in this situation. It's not like she's not aware of Aya's affection towards her "guy" side. So what was the plan to just lead her along till a situation like this would happen anyway in the future? Where it comes out by accident. More than disappointing the other girl seems like someone was being a coward.

Buuut it's fine. As in, I dig it, cause it is a somewhat unique situation, and while it pictures (at least for me) Mitsuki in a bit of bad light, I can understand it. She better make up for it and Aya better not just accept some bs and go with it as if nothing bad ever happened.

FWIW, it feels pretty close to how the average teenager might react, to me at least. Especially a somewhat socially awkward one like Mitsuki, who's probably used to making up excuses to avoid things. She's just not well equipped to deal with the whole situation and she's reacting on instinct at this point, like a shy teenager would.

I think a really important part here is that she’s not just shy, but still working to accept who she is at a really fundamental level. High school is awkward and unpleasant enough when you’re not struggling with your sexuality. It adds another level of stress when you have feelings for someone but you’re scared to express them and out yourself in doing so.

I have a lot of empathy for Mitsuki, it’s an extremely scary and vulnerable position to find yourself in. As much as I remember how much being closeted really sucked, sometimes it really did seem easier than opening up to someone and facing the potential consequences. They’re obviously both queer, so I’m looking forward to seeing them figure it all out, hopefully together.

dipster
joined Sep 24, 2022

This was beautiful and unexpected to stumble across, I cried my eyes out at a few points, especially the letter. I actually really appreciated the ambiguity this ended with, it seemed more literary that way. I think it would have seemed trite or tonally mismatched if it had ended much differently. Still, I’d love to see a sequel that explores their relationship developing and changing with a similarly understated treatment.

last edited at Sep 24, 2022 4:20PM