Forum › Posts by Zhent

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

although it's worth noting, it's my understanding that in Japanese, "Rezu" (lesbian) is kind of an insult, or at least it's considered crass. Yuri is more of a euphemism, which is more polite in conversation. It probably shouldn't be, but it is what it is.

There is a more polite version, "Bian"

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

Is that Dorothy-sensei's self insert in chapter 8, last page?

No, that's Kasumi. If she were an idol, I guess

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

Also there is literally nothing ambiguous about someone saying "Person, I like you" in that manner and I really hate when manga do that.

Hmm, that might be my bad. The raws for Kise-san’s confession on the first page say “私がそんな紺野さんが好きです”

This is more literally “I like the Konno-san who is [kind but straightforward, busy but put together]” which is less direct than just “Konno-san, I like you” in my opinion.

I deliberated on how to translate this in a not-verbose and natural way while semi-preserving the manner in which it was said, and also whether I should focus on Konno-san or the description of her as the subject of the like, but ultimately decided to highlight Kise-san saying she likes Konno-san. Clearly, something was lost in translation here…haha

Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for pointing that out! I still have far to go as a translator…

Even if the translation didn't capture the full nuance of the source, it doesn't really hurt the story since it's revealed Konno did understand it as a romantic confession. It's Konno's reply where it really matters, and while I don't know the original text, the translation fits with the story & art very well so I suspect you did a perfectly good job there. Thank you for the translation!

But ugh, Konno. Responds to all romantic advances with the best friendzone reaction she can muster (even the damn kiss!) and then blames Kise for not progressing further. What an ass.

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

Is this going to be the "we mean love in two different ways" kind of thing?

I'm hoping it's more of a "3 more chapters before we get to 'Oh, I actually am in love with her'" type of manga.... ;;
either that, or the MC is just like this! :)

Alas, we already got the "Oh, I actually am in love with her" in this chapter, though ( https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/trying_out_marriage_with_my_female_friend_ch24#17 ). And we also already know that Kurumi understood Ruriko's 'I love you' to be romantic, since she had already more or less acknowledged Ruriko's feelings before it was actually said. Seems like the story is just gonna have to move forward without any misunderstanding drama... makes you question whether Usui Shio realizes they're writing yuri, doesn't it?

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

Also, back to the manga, the whole idea is that a tall girl cannot be a follower.

It's not, though. The whole idea is that people will say "The other way around is the normal way, and therefore easier", pressuring anxious teen MCs to suppress their own desires and conform.

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

Rei's power was only "immeasurable" in that it broke the academy grading scale; Manaria is OP in exactly the same way but vastly moreso (in innate aptitude, Rei is at 'probably the best in a minor kingdom' while Manaria is 'unquestionably the best in the world')

last edited at Sep 16, 2022 12:06AM

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

It really is excessive. It was already kind of crazy just with Spell Breaker, but that's at least theoretically possible for Rei to overcome (Manaria wouldn't be able to break extreme aptitude water or earth spells, Rei just doesn't have any yet). So then they throw in Dominator to make sure she can insta-KO anyone she can't spellbreak...

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

I like Manaria but feel like she doesn't really make sense within the otome setting.

Why are we not following her and why is she not the protagonist? (this is a joke btw in case someone took that seriously). I just feel there is way too much of a gap in her abilities compared to everyone else and that's almost impossible to bridge. As you said, Rei seemed overpowered before and I am pretty sure if I am remembering correctly is meant to be special as a saint or something but she just looks like a mob character compared to Manaria.

Revolution does not follow a 'defeat the big bad' otome plot; the MC is not a prophesied saintess or anything like that. Within the game plot, the purpose of the MC's power is to overcome social barriers. She doesn't need to be the most powerful, just powerful enough to make princes consider dating a commoner, and simply being strong enough to kill people can't solve the social upheaval the plot centers around.

(That said, I also don't particularly like Manaria as a character or a plot device)

last edited at Sep 15, 2022 5:24PM

One_last_thing
joined Jun 14, 2022

I do like how this series approached serious matters. It was good to see lesbianism and gender brought up and not used as fault or excuse. This furthering the "not Yuri Yuri" movement in the genre. However, I wish the author made it clearer that Rei's harassing treatment of Claire is a matter of individual personality and not a result of being a lesbian.

This does actually get covered quite well in the novel version, but sadly didn't make it into the manga.