Forum › Posts by ketsune

ketsune
Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

A bit of research isn't that hard... The term 'shounen ai' is used in Japan and in western countries to describe content involving non-sexual relationships between men. Works with sexual relationships is called 'yaoi'. Some ppl just thought the same applies for 'shoujo ai' and 'yuri', but in fact the term 'shoujo ai' is used to denote pedophilia in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_%28genre%29#Japanese_vs._Western_usage

ketsune
Opapagoto discussion 07 Aug 00:49
Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

What problem are they even hoping to solve?

Just what i thought- why is the premise single child families = dysfunctional kids? Its just not the case - single children get to interact at school with tons of kids- and their friends- this is just not an issue needing solving?

Step 1: human slavery. Step 2: go read something else.

I also hate this idea- you see it in a lot of manga and anime (like Hayate combat butler) where the kids are somehow responsible for their parents debts if the parents cant pay/be found - or even worse sold for the debt.

I've no idea where this comes from unless Japan has incredibly weird laws- but a kid cant possibly be held responsible for the parents debts- even if they were a legal adult- which they never are anyways.

It's a fictional comical set up. No, Japan doesn't have that kind of law. Is it just me or is the IQ of dynastyreader users gradually dropping? Above comments are similar. It's a ridculous set up but it's fictional. It's meant to entertain by setting up a plot that's not realistic. Either like it or don't. Just wow. I guess this forum isn't different from other internet forums. The average IQ is quite low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_Empire_of_Japan#Meiji_period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Japan#History

It was common back then in japan, now it's just a (convenient) plot device.

last edited at Aug 7, 2014 12:52AM

ketsune
Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

Is her name really Kazamatsuri Matsuri? Her parents had a sense of humour.
Sure, Matsuri was named rather suddenly out of the blue after going nameless for a while, but I have a feeling it'll be different next time.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch01#5 The very first panel of the manga...

ketsune
Kettama! discussion 14 Apr 07:34
Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

i read this manga from other site before, but i reread them again today, even though I know this had been abandoned, then hoping for more. What am I doing....?

Learn japanese and find some raws?^^

ketsune
Kettama! discussion 13 Apr 14:21
Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

Another abandoned (sports-) manga. Not worth the time...

Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

Read this series' tags.

I'm well aware of the tags.

This is a slice-of-life work, so there probably isn't gonna be much in the way of exposition.

This isn't s-o-l. This is more like iyashi-kei. I'd say, that the s-o-l tag is outdated and misleading, but that's a different topic and don't belong in the discussion thread.

The aim here isn't to tell a traditional story, but to create a mood or a sense of place as the characters go about their daily lives.

It's not a matter of storytelling, but rather the lack of experience of the mangaka.
The art is superb, no doubt. But there's more to a manga than art. Look at Honey & Honey. The art is simple, but the characters are developing (w/o ecchi, yuri, etc) and that keeps a manga going.
You see, you don't need extravagant storytelling or anything for character developement, but when there's nothing but art, I could as good sitting in the garden and watch the gras growing. There's more developement in every single straw.
This is Hijiki's first work (i know s/he drew a lot of doujinshi, but they're totally different from normal manga so i didn't count them) where s/he is author and artist.
His/Her first work was a co-op and s/he was only the artist.
Let him/her get some more experience and together with the art s/he'll be a great mangaka.

If you keep that in mind, you won't mind the relative lack of traditional storytelling.

Well, there're manga with the same 'tags' who handled it way better. And I'm not the only one who noticed that.
And just to be clear, i don't mind (extremely) slow paced stories.
I read/watched quite a few iyashi-kei/daily life manga/anime, and they got into my fav-list (e.g. Tamayura Hitotose, Aria, etc).

Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

So, after the first volume we got nothing but cute girls (read: stereotypes) doing nothing? 3 volumes are out so far, let's see, if it can beat sasameki koto^^
Cute girls are good, but a bit of plot or background information about the mc-chan's couldn't hurt, 'cause as for now, we know absolutely nothing about the girls or the city or anything else ;_; Hope it will change in the upcoming chapters.

Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

somehow they give the feel of yui and mio from k-on

i got more a kunieda feeling from haru. you know, the type of genki girl with a deep past. as for riko... well... uhm... (づ ・ω ・)づ。。・゜゜・。。・゜❤

Ava%20120
joined Feb 1, 2013

o(・∇・o)(o・∇・)o ヤッタ! the waiting almost killed me ;_;