Forum › Posts by Uropod

joined Feb 4, 2021

Some fighting game translation and scene notes

Chapter 7:

• "middle down" would be more naturally expressed in English vernacular as "crouching medium attack" / "ducking medium attack"

• "middle shinko" -> "medium shinko", again it's referring the strength of the version of that special move, and the standard in English in most 2D fighting games is "light"/"medium"/"heavy". The counterpart in Japanese FGC is "ko"/"chuu"/"dai".

• i'm going to guess that when she's talking about "confirm using a sudden dual step instead of a single step", what she means to say is something along the lines of "confirm into a double-(motion) instead of a single (motion)", e.g. needing to confirm the hit and then quickly doing double-quarter-circle-forward rather than confirming the hit and then doing a single quarter-circle-forward.

• "she walked off, and then a walk forward" could either mean that she was walking backwards and then walked forwards, or it could mean that she did a backdash and then a forward dash, or some mix of those two. In the JP FGC, "step" (i.e. ステップ ) is what the English FGC calls "dash". In English FGC, "back" is the commonly used term for directions away from the opponent (e.g. "hold back to block", "back dash", "back throw", etc.).

• "getting pushed to the edge of the screen" is probably meant to mean "being cornered". The screen edge and the corner can be two different things: like if you had both players walk away from each from the middle of the stage, eventually they hit the edge of the screen and can't walk any further apart. However, they aren't actually at the boundaries of the stage yet! The "corner" in English FGC refers specifically to the stage boundary where no further horizontal movement is possible.

Chapter 8:

• "pan" is a shortened term used in the JP scene for "punch". If you ever hear JP commentators say kopan/chuupan/daipan it means light-punch/medium-punch/heavy-punch. This contraction is not used by the English speaking fighting game scenes, so I would translate this as "punch" in English.

• "EXjp" and "America's largest fighting game tournament, EX!" is definitely a reference to EVO, which is the largest fighting game tournament in the world. There is also an EVO Japan that started up a few years ago (finally)!

last edited at Feb 4, 2021 4:17PM