Forum › Posts by Yoo-jin

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

Admittedly the flow of time isn't really made all too clear. Maybe needed one or two of those long blank strips inbetween. Great as that whole "and i suck" sequence is, I don't think this author knew how to present a "same events, different POV" narrative very well.

To give an overview of the flow of time/bits where the timeline intersect compared to ch11:
ch12 p1-12 = ch11 p1-10 (events taking place while Aki is speaking with Fuu up until they meet up)
ch12 p13 (panel 1-2) = ch11 p13 (Konomi telling Fuu that she's also a succubus)
ch12 p13 (panel 4) = ch11 p14 ("It was for the sake of...")
ch12 p14 = ch11 p15 (Yukiko and Fuu pinky swearing)

I feel like it would've been better had the scenes with repeated dialogue/cuts to Yukiko and Fuu been kept speechless (or at least used scribble text instead of the regular dialogue bubbles) so it could stay focused on the conversation between Konomi and Mirino.

Yeah, this has had to be one of the worst implementations of seeing things again from a different perspective that I've seen in manga. The flow of time is just disjointed and it made me confused enough to think that I missed a chapter or I imagined the previous one. I only remember one other manga I've read that confused me as much in terms of the flow of time (it was also on Dynasty but I don't remember what it was, I just remember it kind of had attempting to be like SHAFT feeling) and I just wish it was handled better.

joined May 8, 2011

I just did a quick archive skim, was it meant to be understood that Ruri is a succubus before chapter 12? Didn't see anything overtly saying before, but that line on page 10 seems to be saying as much.

It could be that she's just talking about her own situation since the topic was Sera. So when Sera is saying "Such is life for all succubi" she could've been just reacting to the statement that she had it rough too.

joined May 8, 2011

A daily intake of 1200 kCals??? Isn't the recommended daily intake for an adult woman like 2000 kCal? 1200 would be enough for like a 12-year old

Starving yourself isn't a healthy way to be (and isn't the best way to sustainably lose weight, either, since it can fuck up your metabolism)

Cutting calories doesn't mean starving yourself. It's that you would hopefully eat a balanced diet of fewer calories in general since the best way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories in general. Especially if you're eating fewer low nutrient high calorie foods and more high nutrient low calorie foods.

joined May 8, 2011

If she would do some exercise she'd lose weight a bit faster.
Manga is pretty good, we have some food, and recipe to it, so I think i'll stick a little more with this one

Diet is the best and most effective way of actually losing weight. For instance, if you ran at 6 mph it'd take around 15 minutes of doing that to burn off a single 200 calorie donut. So it's a lot more effective to limit your intake rather than to deal with it after the fact.

last edited at Aug 3, 2021 7:26AM

joined May 8, 2011

I, too, don't quite understand why it's tagged cheating. I mean, it's "cheating" in Ako's opinion but unless we know that Riri was really meaning to two-time with that girl, I wouldn't consider it cheating.

Yoo-jin
Semelparous discussion 21 Apr 20:41
joined May 8, 2011

It's odd though in that it seems that the original childhood friend is now the senpai. The childhood friend that dies is actually a new character if you pay attention to the names.

joined May 8, 2011

If only the mangaka had given some sort of indication as to how much time had passed, I could have possibly liked the end of this.

I'm assuming something like 5 years. Kanou starts the series out as 27 years old and the last chapter has her friend Mana saying she's 32. I'm only guessing that they're probably the same age but it would give a guess that something like 5 years passed if that's true.

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

EDIT: Also, I wonder whose thought bubbles these belong to: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nanashi_no_asterism_ch11#19 (up until page 21)

It says:
"Ah... This is it. It's this sort of feeling. She and I have always joked around like this. That's what feels comfortable..."

Those are Shiratori's thoughts.

joined May 8, 2011

GDI! SHE DIED! And no it wasn't that she broke up, that's no the kind of freak out one has when it's just a break up. You don't replay every word. And the first and worst thought in your head isn't "She's no longer here." GDI! THIS WAS THE ACTUAL WORST WAY TO END MY ALREADY SHITTY NIGHT! CAN'T HANDLE BAD ENDS IN YURI! YURI IS MY SAFE ZONE GDI! MY ESCAPE! WHY YOU DO DIS TO ME, GOD!? WAI!?

I sort of disagree with the translation of the very last box on page 13 for this specific reason. In the original Japanese, it's more ambiguous in that all that last box says is "この部屋はもうー" which all it means is "this room is no longer..." It could be that she died. It could be that she moved on somewhere else. The "she was no longer" definitely sounds more morbid than what I think it should.

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

Whenever I see stories like this, ones where there is a character rushing ahead along in multiple attempts to reach the same goal, only to have to start over and attempt again, I am reminded of the myth of Sisyphus. The task is absurd. It's impossible. And yet the character has the strength of mind to try over and over and over again despite its absurdity. As if tasked from on high by the very gods themselves to struggle, the character carries on as if to defy fate and the world itself. "I may have been tasked with this absurd goal, but I shall do it for all of eternity."

To love and hate their own fate. To carry on when a normal person's very soul would be crushed. The endless repetition and failure. And yet, Sisyphus continues on rolling up his boulder to the top of the mountain and, he might get close, but it always slides down in the end. There is a certain beauty in such tragedy, if I say so myself. And the possibility that they might achieve the impossible. To defy the very world and the gods themselves, also captivates me.

Yoo-jin
Citrus discussion 20 Apr 21:55
joined May 8, 2011

Nope. Next chapter will be out tomorrow.

What's giving you that idea? I believe that the next issue is going to be released mid-May and it's going to take a while before it's translated.

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

is it true fujieda miyabi is male? i were sure of the opposite, not that i had proof...
i know mikuni hajime is female, and also eiki eiki and zaou taishi, but i can say anything about their sexual preferences.
i think amano shuninta is male.
have someone a clue about personal color? (touhou dj circle)

Yes, Fujieda Miyabi is male. On his site:
「藤枝 雅 (ふじえだ みやび)
藤色(薄青紫)が好きで、みやびやかな世界が好きだからの名前です。直球。
女の子という存在に憧れての名前でもあります(藤枝は男ですゆえ)」
"Fujieda Miyabi
He likes Wisteria (a light blue violet) [Fujiiro] and the world of elegance [Miyabi] so that's his name. Frankly,
he also admires "women" so that's part of the reason for the name too. (Fujieda is a guy after all.)"

I don't know if he still does so, but he did stream in the past so hearing him talk confirmed that he was probably a guy.

And really? I had a feeling that Amano Shuninta was female.

(On another aside, the Tweet regarding Namori does seem to indicate that Namori is female as well as taking a look at Namori's Japanese wikipedia page [if it is to be trusted])

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

It's more acceptable to say he/she, because they/them is improper. That's plural form. Otherwise, neutral would be "the author" or "the artist".

While "they/them" is a plural form, it has history as use as a singular non-gender specific word and, in fact, is quite common. Consider the sentence: "A person fell off their chair. They were quite upset." Even though "their" and "they" are both words that are used to denote a plural entity, it is very natural to see statements such as those two. While "the author" or "the artist" is neutral in a sense, it's very jarring to see statements that utilizing titles like that too often.

Yoo-jin
joined May 8, 2011

Is there something wrong with me that I think of the Michael Jackson song "Black or White" when I see that title?

Yoo-jin
Prism discussion 13 Apr 07:31
joined May 8, 2011

The difference, though, is that it's widely accepted that you can use photos to draw backgrounds and such, but that if you are going to use photos, you need to make sure to only use ones that you've taken yourself.

All in all, if you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot, you'll want to either change up the pose or some aspects of a photo you're referencing if it's not yours (instead of copying it pretty much 1:1) or use solely your own photos when using references. As it seems, fans are pretty keen on finding out whether or not something seems copied. I'm still a fan of the story of Prism, and I was pretty sad that it abruptly stalled (if not officially "canceled") because of this scandal.

(I think the main reasoning is that if an artist is shown to have copied once, there's no telling if they won't do it again. Its probably not the idea that every single one of their illustrations are copied, but that they might resort to it again if they're proven to have done it the first time. Once something happens once, there's always the creeping possibility that it can happen again since it's been proven possible.)

last edited at Apr 13, 2013 7:33AM

joined May 8, 2011

Been continuing testing it out from time to time and so far, not much in the way of bugs other than the occasional doubling of a few pages at times.

joined May 8, 2011

So far, I haven't run into many problems. However, there are a few times where pages seem to repeat themselves.

As stated before, zooming would probably be nice. Mostly for iPhones and iPods as there can be two page spreads with text on them which are almost unreadable even when you go into landscape orientation (or small text on regular pages). But you've already said that it'd be a difficult feature to implement and would probably be saved for later.

(Another consideration is that the bar at the top takes up quite a bit of space on smaller devices like the iPhone/iPod. If possible, you should consider a way to allow us to hide the bar or at least let us scroll the bar off the screen.)

last edited at Apr 18, 2012 10:26PM

joined May 8, 2011

If you still require testers for the iPhone version (4S running iOS 5.1), then I'd be happy to help.

Yoo-jin
Project Suggestions 15 Jul 14:01
joined May 8, 2011

Dash wrote

Hi to everyone.
First all, i must say that your work is excellent.

I'm the director from a fansub that work with manga and a some of anime, we traduce and edit for any pages, but every time under a pre-working in english. In this case, we have not a traduction to english, and is so hard found a Japanese-Spanish traductor.

Well, the reason for i'm here is for propuse you a new proyect.
Named Awashima Hyakukei, from the popular mangaka Takako Shimura, who have anothers works
like Hourou Musuko and Aoi Hana.

For that reason, we suggest the proyect, we have the scans yet ready.
Of course, in those situation, we want a permise for use the traduction, if you want, obviusly with all the credits for you.

If you are interesed make me know it. We hope so.

Thanks for the time for read.

sincerely

Dash.

I think it goes like this:

Dash wrote

Hello, everyone.
First of all, I must say that your work is excellent.

I'm the leader of a scanlation/fansub group that works with manga and a few anime. We translate and edit works but for all of them, we use English translations to translate them. In this case we don't have an English translation ready, and it's difficult to find a Japanese-to-Spanish translator.

Well, the reason that I am here is to propose a new project.
It's Awashima Hyakukei, created by the popular mangaka Takako Shimura, whose other works include Hourou Musuko and Aoi Hana.

For that reason, we're suggesting the project, we don't have the scanlation ready yet.
Of course, in the case that you accept, we want permission to use your translation, if you want, obviously with all credit going to you.

If you are interested, please let me know. We hope we get a favourable response.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Dash.

last edited at Jul 15, 2011 2:03PM