Forum › Posts by ridgezipline

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Not only did Kase and Yui finally get to spend some alone time together on this vacation (for Yui... work/club event for Kase), but in a few short sentences, with the only real question Yui brought up being the one about working at a store back in their home town, Kase managed to clear up all of the misunderstandings from overheard conversations and lingering jealousy about her roommate knowing things about her girlfriend that she doesn't.

I'd be willing to bet that Kase mentioned the possibility of working at the store in their home town with the thought in mind that Yui might want to live near her parents, but, since they're still keeping their relationship on the down-low, she didn't want to say, 'but I'd be happy to live anywhere that my girlfriend wants to move." And now that Yui knows that the REAL reason she uses that sunscreen is that it reminds her of the smell of Yui's hair, she knows that Kase's roommate might know what brand Kase likes, but has no idea why she likes it.

I still think that the roommate is going to be a complication somewhere along the line, though not as an ACTUAL romantic rival. I think she'll make a move on Kase at some point.

I agree. The romantic build up, outside the main pair, is pointing towards roommate/rival. My guess is that Fukami thinks of Yamada as a fangirl and becomes overprotective of her friend Kase.

Anyone else crackshipping Inoue/Hana?

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Wait, is Kuro much more self aware than I thought? She always acted as if she never had any feelings and was just a really good friend (or felt like she could never compare), but I suppose that was the idea.

I think the implication in the previous chapter (chapter 25)––when Kuro's otaku friends fill Iroha in on the previous relationship of Kuro and Fijishiro––is that Kurokawa has been suppressing an attraction to Fujishiro since long before she and Fujishiro became friends. We get those panels where the otaku Kurokawa of old stares unself-consiously at Fujishiro as she hangs out with the other gyarus, and we're told that Kurokawa's friends found it "scary," like they couldn't fathom Kurokawa's fixation (interestingly, it seems like Izumi is looking bemused towards Kurokawa in this flashback, while Miki and Fujishiro and the other one are oblivious to Kurokawa's stare––I wonder if that's intimating a story element yet to be explored?). And I imagine Kurokawa has rationalized her intense preoccupation to herself all along by convincing herself she's a "Fujishiro–stan." She has probably felt that her feelings towards Fujishiro couldn't be love because she and Fujishiro weren't, in her eyes, social equals. But it starts to suggest that Kurokawa showing up for Fujishiro's breakup with her boyfriend might be less of a coincidence than it seemed at first. Perhaps Kurokawa subconsciously elected to become a voyeur at that moment––she could have scurried away when she saw Fujishiro and her boyfriend coming. The panels showing Kurokawa staring at Fujishiro in chapter 25 maker Kurokawa look as if she's in a trance.

Every chapter that ends with Fujishiro looking like her feelings just got smushed and not understanding why is making my heart hurt, but hopefully an explosion of jealousy is going to erupt from her in subsequent chapters. I like what's been done with the story so far, but I do feel like the volatile Fujishiro of the early chapters––the one that was ready to blow up her own life every time she flew off the handle at someone––has mellowed out a lot over the course of the series. Reading the backmatter in the 2nd collection, the author mentions that the series was only supposed to run for two volumes initially––and it does seem at around that point that Fujishiro starts to back off a little and sublimate some of her edge (if you want your series to stretch out longer, the character can't be quite so aggressive all the time, I suppose). After that second volume the supporting characters start to take on a lot more life, and in there you have the Izumi arc that pretty much hijacks what was the main drama of the series up until that point. That move was surprising and the arc turned out to be really moving, but I think it ended up introducing a level of emotional intensity to the series that I imagine the main romance––which was heretofore a lot frothier––might struggle to match. So I think it would be good to see that impulsive, emotive side of Fujishiro re-emerge, especially when dealing with her own feelings––ones that she clearly doesn't yet understand. A slightly darker Kurokawa is probably a good move towards making the ultimate romantic conflict between them more intense. If Kurokawa is a little more intractable in her belief that Fujishiro is on a level Kurokawa can't touch, it's going to make it harder for Fujishiro to eventually press her case and assert her own feelings––once she figures those feelings out.

So it was supposed to be 2 volumes? No wonder. Kurokawa/Fujishiro in vol. 1 is gold. Mix of comedy and teen angst, while subverting some tropes. Nanaki, at her meanest, was quite endearing.

Sadly it can't go back to the tone of the first volume, but I'm looking forward to how Kurokawa's arc develop, more Iroha/Kurokawa brotp, Nanaki/Iroha craziness.

At least, Izumi -> Iroha is starting!!

last edited at Sep 21, 2020 3:20AM

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

So Claire's maid is Lena not Lene?

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Kurokawa is a hypocrite for saying to Iro-chan that it's weird and rude to ship people IRL not to mention she's even more of a hardcore shipper than anyone else.

Kurokawa isn't shipping the two. She wants what's best for Nanaki. Her insecure brain refuses to believe she's enough, so she pushes Nanaki to someone "worthy", someone who will take care of the princess in her place.

Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Eh, single target sexuality may be my least favorite trope in yuri

This reads less like single target sexuality and more like Ookuma being dense and a sap.

^ this. Ookuma also said "up until now I've never been interested in a guy..."

She's Kanda-sexual first, useless gay second.

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Iro moves fast lol. And I think Kurokawa knows.

last edited at Jul 5, 2020 3:04PM

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

I'd rather see Komari than more Tazune.

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Love how the manga adds Claire's pov too. Can't wait for the rest.

ridgezipline
Images%20(13)
joined May 13, 2020

Is Izumi the only one that has no color in her name?

Hers is blue. Aota (Aoi) Izumi. Red/Blue for the sideship. Black/White for the main.