Forum › Posts by ChessDragon

joined Apr 25, 2020

Oh god that phone call with Rin is everything…
Somehow I missed their previous chapter together and just caught it going back through things, and it’s like peak romance?? Somehow, some of the best yuri I’ve ever read?? It’s just so… sweet and honest and intimate. The emotional history together they were working through was really touching and kind of painful. It’s a peak bully/bullied relationship dynamic, and the way that Itsumi was so honest about being unsure in her feelings was so genuine. I love the way they navigated through that. And the fact that she has a thing about being wanted bc of her emotional neglect, and a thing about being bullied during sex that most likely tracks back to their history together, and the trauma that she experienced… to be able to re-frame that with Rin making her feel wanted, Rin as the traumatizer rewiring the bullying, physically, into something loving and sexual and explicitly consensual…

It’s genuinely beautiful.

I’ve been noticing more and more that this story delivers some really strong, resonant emotional beats. I think part of that comes from the characteristic rawness of Mochi’s work, but I also can’t help but think of a video essay I watched once called Art, Furries, God, about how silliness, baseness, can serve as a sort of self-disarming on the part of the author, removing any sense of pretentiousness or the idea that a work should be received distantly as Art, and thereby allow people to drop their guard and engage with it more closely, and feel its message more strongly, more honestly.

There’s a certain quality in this work and in Watamote, which it reminds me of, where the comedic framing makes the emotional moments more emotional, more real, more impactful. The gay hindbrain food trash setup disarms the story so that when it delivers an emotional moment and comes back to being gay, it feels so sweet and earnest.

There’s something to be said as well about the way this started as a gimmick gag manga and has expanded from there: it evokes the shape of a genre, a shell and a scaffolding and a set of expectations, and then slowly chips away until it shatters it and repurposes the pieces into something new. It created this sense of something new, something unconstrained editorially where anything can happen if it works for the story, for the fiction, and that it won’t run up against the glass wall of genre.

It feels like leaving your comfort zone, like stepping into something new—eager and earnest and daunted by possibility. It feels vulnerable—it feels, in fact, much like you do when you’re just figuring out your way in your first relationship, and you don’t know what’s going to happen.

I think this story is incredible. And I think it has the potential to be even more. Much like the characters, I’m both nervous and excited to see what happens next.

You nailed why I enjoy comedies with serious elements so much. I partially blame my Creative Writing degree for causing me to over-analyze and be overly critical of so many works -- but with something like this manga, you know immediately that it's not ASKING to be taken as seriously, and that somehow just makes it so much easier to disregard my inner critic... and of course, once I'm hooked, that gives room for writers to worm their way into my emotions.

ChessDragon
joined Apr 25, 2020

The combined fact that this author started off drawing hentai, and that they are no longer serialized in a magazine makes me think the "next chapter" warning could be for real.

joined Apr 25, 2020

Does anyone have any manga/doujin/comics to share about this kind of concept, except that the pair are offline bully/bullied and then separately find each other and get along online?

last edited at Dec 26, 2021 8:00PM

ChessDragon
Fake sweets discussion 15 Dec 22:21
joined Apr 25, 2020

Cute. Personally, I'm still waiting for an "age gap" tagged story that starts off with an office lady in her late 20's, then subverts with the age gap being her falling for a woman in her late 30's.

joined Apr 25, 2020

Just indicating where she'd just kiss/hickey'd her. Not unlike hearts showing up in the wind when someone blows a kiss in cartoons/anime.

ChessDragon
joined Apr 25, 2020

Cute.

Not sure why this is the yuri couple that is depicted the most. Mercedes / Annette and Catherine / Shamir seemed a lot more explicit in their bonding scenes (despite some mild censoring in the English version of Mercedes / Annette's A rank conversation).

ChessDragon
joined Apr 25, 2020

I'm actually not a big fan of the way Chapter 31, page 01 makes it relatively obvious that Mom saw them in the act. The "surprise" a few chapters later (in the webcomic version) was a lot more fun when it was more ambiguous if she had seen anything.

But that said, all the content this series provides is gold.

joined Apr 25, 2020

A relaxing story with a dash of realistic drama. I'd have liked to have gotten a "one month later" panel wherein the promises are being kept, but I think Matsumoto learned her lesson.

joined Apr 25, 2020

Regardless of whether this idea is "new" or not doesn't make it any more believable or less stupid. The thing that makes this work so irritating and others less so is that if you're going to break with accepted reality in fiction there needs to be an explanation, reason, or internal logic

Why? When did the manga assume to be realistic in any way?

I agree that the premise is probably creepy, but I won't readily dismiss an author's premise because it is, after all, an author's premise.

last edited at Aug 8, 2020 3:25AM

joined Apr 25, 2020

I'm a total believer in the "if it's fantasy smut, there's every reason to depict the pleasure in a supernatural way." Enjoyable little story. But it definitely seems to have gone off-track, character-wise.