Forum › Posts by Melephs_Hat

Melephs_Hat
joined Mar 31, 2020

I think there's a lot less projection than people are being accused of here. If you just go with the flow of the story, in hindsight it's easy to say that, because a story turned out the way it did, expecting anything else is just projection, but those expectations have textual basis. Time travel is the core premise and, as the title's creative implied twist, is also likely the main hook for readers unless they're here for other tags. But time travel was largely used as just a deus ex machina for a typical seduce-the-love-interest story with a rival; MC resolves to follow this path early on. And even then, the rival is so passive that this still is a bit misrepresentative. Time travel did add a "must conceal my true identity" aspect, which is arguably compelling, but the story hasn't significantly engaged with time travel's other ramifications, possibilities, or aspects like MC's knowledge of people & events in her past (the latter has been acknowledged but not really used). Again, given the title, and the continual reminder that MC's past self is such, I think it's fair to say it's unexpected how little the time travel matters. Similarly, the prevalence of her past self in the text contrasts with her past self's continued passiveness and lack of relationship with MC; MC thinks about her a lot, but primarily as a roadblock. I avoid absolutes because, like with the time travel, there are glimpses of development which fuel hope for change, but so far the author has done nothing to expand upon them.

So I think if someone sees time travel or a love rival, starts/keeps reading, and gets disappointed when those aspects appear minimally, but reads on hoping for change, those feelings don't come from nowhere. Both were promised at the start, and we have been reminded of both continually as if they matter, but neither has played an active role since MC's initial resolution. I do think time travel will stay about as relevant as it has been in recent chapters (read: not relevant), but Chapter 10 suggests MC's past self might assume a slightly more active role, so I don't think it's completely absurd to hope against hope for other changes. The story is similarly noncommittal about whether the non-con molestation is okay since senpai doesn't explicitly condone or rebuke it, and that also means failing to fully distance itself from either the "I'm uncomfortable with this" crowd or the "I'm okay with this" crowd and opening itself up to criticism from one and backlash-criticism from the other, but I'm not really interested in talking about that at this point.

last edited at Aug 11, 2021 11:52AM

joined Mar 31, 2020

Nothing against anyone who enjoyed this (I don't have super strong feelings myself), I just wanted to dissect why parts of it felt uncomfortable for me.

The way this reads is, Fuwa has used money to entice someone whose sexuality is not confirmed, and who outwardly expresses disinterest in lesbianism, to date her, in such a way that no matter what Fuwa can spend 100 days doing anything she wants to 'turn Marika gay,' and every time Marika objects or feels uncomfortable Fuwa can say "What, are you scared of losing? Think of the money."

Marika appears very self-confident in general, so I don't think repressed gayness is the only reason she talks about wlw relationships in the way she does, and anyway, hearing her talk like this is absolutely no reason for Fuwa to believe Marika is gay. I could accept Fuwa being like "Give it a try, you can back out whenever you like," but this is not what she does. Instead, she leads with the money and doesn't immediately explain her conditions. Fortunately, when she does it's pretty clear, but unfortunately, the power imbalance gives Marika an incentive to endure whatever Fuwa does. Fuwa makes no stipulations about stopping and breaking up if Marika doesn't like it, and in fact has established the "You're not scared, are you?" line as a way to keep Marika 'in the game.' She claims that taking this deal from her is safer than taking it from a middle-aged man, and while that seems true, Marika and Fuwa are basically strangers, and Fuwa's promises are either vague & subjective ('we won't do anything dangerous') or potentially worrying ('I'll make sure no one finds out'). Furthermore, Fuwa presents it as if the only options are getting a sugar daddy, or dating her, conveniently omitting the third option, doing neither.

Also, it's important to note the predatory-ness going on. Fuwa's usual wording is 'I'll change your mind,' but then she tells Marika she will "become" a lesbian, i.e., that Fuwa thinks Marika isn't one, but that she will become one thanks to Fuwa. Sexuality is fluid, but it doesn't work like this; Fuwa's statement is exactly what people use in the real world to get others into relationships that those others don't want to be in. This is a very problematic portrayal of romance, and I would hope future chapters somehow ameliorate that issue.

Otherwise, uh, nice aesthetics, high potential for banter, if I read it from five feet away it doesn't seem too bad. Again, nothing against people who did enjoy it.

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 10:32AM