Forum › Posts by CannibalOranges

CannibalOranges
joined May 18, 2018

I found out what I think is a little off with this.

As much as it portrays various realistic LGBT situations, all the people involved are like ideals.

The lesbian couple is gorgeous, Misora is cute as a button, whether as a boy or as a girl, Touma and Tasuku are handsome, the transgender man looks like a handsome man, Anonymous is bewitchingly ambiguous, even the older gay couple looks nice.

As if average (or even ugly) looking LGBT people don't exist. Lesbians are all lipstick lesbians. LGBT people are all nice people who'd never hurt anyone, cross-dressers are perfect looking and puberty has no effect yet. This manga painfully tries to portray LGBT (or every variation of it) as beautiful, inside and outside, people, nice, caring, struggling within an hostile society, but becoming better for it, etc, etc...

That's cool and all, but pretty unrealistic. Gays and lesbians can be nasty, unhinged, manipulative, cheating, average, butch, imperfect. Like everyone else.

This manga idealizes us a bit, so I actually can't take it really seriously because it doesn't match reality that much. And I find it counter productive at some point. It's cool to be supportive and sensitive, but come on: lesbian bitches and nasty gays exist. We are people too, not gods.

an older gay couple as a main and a trans man is already really rare tho for a manga. the fact that the author chose to depict them all as nice looking i don't think you can really fault them for doing what every single author does with their main characters. if the cast was a bit bigger, or if they showed more of the LGBT community then i'd see that criticism valid, but the fact that the author is obviously really into LGBT issues makes me really doubt they're the type to not show LGBT people of all appearances.

i think all the characters are depicted as good people, not perfect or gods, the lesbian couple say they bicker all the time, and daichi-san has a temper, misora calls kaname slurs, tsubaki lashes out at kaname, kaname pries too deep into misora's life at the beginning, etc. these are all pretty average flaws im actually surprised you'd call them perfect people, but maybe you're wanting something like actually terrible that they do?. but given all the themes this story has brought up so far i think it's likely kaname meeting really nasty people in the LGBT community and dealing with that will happen in the future.