Forum › Posts by Suicide King

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

Thanks!

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

There's a manga I vaguely remember where one character goes to write a report on a brothel or something, then tells the story of how she had sex to the woman she is actually in love with (which they reenact). The twist is then that she never actually had sex at the brothel, but just spent her time talking about the girl she was in love with. Ring a bell for anyone?

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

Actually. rereading a bit, I like the touch that this burst of violence, this look inside his head, recontextualizes things before it. I assumed that his assholery was the exceptions to the norm, that Midori had muted reactions because she was, well, Midori and didn't want to rock the boat and because she was a bit stunned by his words/actions. Now, rereading, I can see how Midori's reactions being muted fits as well, or even better, with this being how he often acts and her just putting up with it as the price for not being alone. That she is used to this from him. This is good writing, I love that the author is forcing me to reevaluate some of my assumptions.

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

I dunno if I've seen people defend Tazune as much as say that we hadn't seen him be actually abusive yet. We'd seen some problematic behavior and some stuff that was maybe, maybe not, insinuated to be his general behavior.
Looking back and assuming this isn't intended to be an abrubt turn, I think the author's intent was that his asshole behavior was just examples of his behavior, that these were things he did casually and often. I dunno, I gave him more of the benefit of doubt than he evidently deserved. I had an assumption that he was going to be more of a sympathetic antagonist than he is turning out to be. Ah well, assumptions make an ass out of you and me, etc.

Still like the story though, he is certainly less sympathetic, but his backstory fits - social isolation, drawing all the wrong conclusions from his interaction with women... ugh. I hate that it's a thing I see constantly IRL, people instinctively assuming that because people have a reaction to them, there must be something wrong with people and not something they're themselves doing. Looking forward to seeing him getting his comeuppance somehow, would be lovely to see him getting the shit kicked out of him.

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

You can be an unpleasant person and kind of an ass without being abusive though. While I don't like the guy, we haven't really been shown systematic, repeated emotional abuse... just that he is kind of a douche. Abusive? I think that's hyperbole - I mean I wouldn't want to hang out with him, nor date him, he is a shitty person. Abusive implies hurting another person, perhaps intentionally, perhaps not, to a degree far beyond what we've been shown.

And yeah, it's immensely shitty to beg for unprotected sex, whether straight sex, lesbian or... whatever sex. It's not abusive though, she could have told him to grow up and wear a rubber. Nothing in the situation implied to me she was trapped in it, felt forced or anything, it was just her own issues making her an idiot. A very human, sympathetic and infuriating idiot.

Love the story though, the guy is definitely an ass and if he isn't cheating he is going to soon.

Suicide King
Their Story discussion 22 Dec 17:58
joined Sep 3, 2017

At a glance something like 95% of the comics on this site are manga and most likely take place in Japan, but if you include mahnwa and manhua, then the statement becomes inaccurate... but if referring to manga? Then it's almost all japan :) We are getting a bit off-topic though and perhaps lost in particulars :D

Suicide King
Their Story discussion 22 Dec 16:02
joined Sep 3, 2017

Well... there's room in realism for something in-between cutesy romance and "depressing as fuck". This one is on the cutesy side, but not that far from the real world.

I think something like Octave seemed pretty close to the real world. A one-off thing actually turning into a relationship, in a stumbling, 2-steps-forward-1-step-back sort of way.

Suicide King
Their Story discussion 22 Dec 14:14
joined Sep 3, 2017

I have lesbian relatives and none of their relationships are rosy/enviable like in these stories, especially the older ones. It’s just so much better in 2D.

I... are you of the impression that this is different for het romance/hentai? Sometimes there are realistic mangas or erotic stories, of the het or whatever variety, but they are few and far between.

Can anyone point to a realistic yuri romance? This one certainly isn't, there is about 8000% too little homophobia to take place anywhere near the real world.

Suicide King
Their Story discussion 15 Dec 21:40
joined Sep 3, 2017

Yeah, the fact that this comic is literally dangerous for the author to write makes this all rather concerning. When looking at this story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46257240 with a author facing 10 years of jail for writing gay sex scenes, I think it's not worth it.
I love this story, but I honestly think the author should stop, this story is not worth risking serious jail time for writing and she is risking that. She SHOULD be afraid of the consequences for what she is making. I respect her courage, but it is a lot of risk for relatively minor gain, it is just a comic after all.

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

Heh, occam's razor cuts both ways though. No one in the manga acknowledges her being a bear and the manga that came before this one, literally had a pair of glasses that made a character look like an animal. The simplest explanation in my mind, is that her being a bear is just a visual metaphor.

However, neat things about metaphors - they are open to interpretation :D If you prefer to look at it as a furry story, more power to you :)

Suicide King
joined Sep 3, 2017

Isn't the bear a metafor in this case? I remember a rather famous yuri anime where bears are used as stand-ins for people who identify as lesbians... Yuri Kuma Arashi is what my google-fu identified it as.

My point is, this isn't really a furry story, because it's not about having a relationship with a human-animal hybrid, instead the bear is actually a human who is drawn as a bear, as a metaphor for being non-feminine, for being self-conscious, etc. I didn't read it as furry at all.

Sort of like Maus (very famous comic about the holocaust, where the jews are mice and the nazis are cats), it's not actually about anthropomorphic cats and mice, they're just used as a metaphor for victims and cruel abusers.

last edited at Feb 6, 2018 6:22PM