Forum › Posts by Zeither

Zeither
Love Live! discussion 30 Mar 21:44
Smokinadultlolis
joined Mar 30, 2016

After looking at School Idol Diary, I became curious and finally picked up the official manga. I wasn't expecting the characters to be mildly different than the anime's, but it came as a pleasant surprise. I came to love this manga's interpretation of Nico. I feel like the author expanded the concept of Nico being cute on the exterior but different on the inside.

I especially love the fact that she's willing to manipulate and use people due to her circumstances. It's relatable since I also come from a poor household and run into the issues of school tuition fees. I feel like Honoka's character takes on a better shine in this manga. She quits the kendo club and creates the idol club in an impulsive manner after seeing a A-Rise concert. Yet, she's doing it all to save the school and even drags Umi into her schemes. It speaks a lot about Honoka being headstrong and energetic to a fault.

The biggest point that the manga improved on from the anime is the fact that the girls are trying to save the school. The scene that drives this home is where Honoka takes Eli to their old elementary school and she talks about the changes around them and how it seems the world is leaving behind Otonoki.

The anime and the manga are both down-to-earth in different ways. The manga's focus is closer to the theme of making the character's dreams come true. Though the manga has a strong P.O.V focus on Honoka and somewhat Nico, which I feel affects the other characters. Overall: NicoMaki is great (the new dynamic is cool), new ground on Honoka and Umi's relationship (the lack of Kotori bothers me), Eli is flirty and gay (+20), you can feel how much the author like yuri.

Good read.

last edited at Mar 30, 2016 9:45PM