Forum › Posts by thefamouscookieeater

thefamouscookieeater
Screenshot%202023-07-07%20at%2023-23-44%20tamen%20de%20gushi%20(tan%20jiu)%20-%20yuriverso
joined May 24, 2015

This will be my frist post in this thread, so Hi everyone!

I've been reading FF since it came out almost a year ago. I'm a huge fan of this manhua and of Yuri as a genre.

I wanted to start by saying the following:

Regarding some opinions about the story (pacing, character development, etc.), I have just one thing to say: how many yuri do you have out there that actually have a compeling semi-realistic storytelling with actual character development? I think of Octave, Girlfriends, Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana as powerful examples and from there my memory goes fade because I can't think of any other long-lasting mangas with great stories. Sure, you have some more, but they are usually shorter mangas. Either due to budget cuts or any other reason (like plagirism, which caused Prism to stop being published) they end up as short stories and we don't even get to see the full potential of the author or even of the story itself.

FF appeared and gave new life to a genre that was falling into the same old bs of fanservice with nothing else attached to it. Sakura Trick was great for everyone who lusts after fanservice; so is any anime of the sort like Sono Hanabira or even Shoujo Sect that rely completly and solely on the sexual components. And all of these are clearly targeted towards cisgender heterossexual male audiences. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy these, I did. I also love my share of fanservice.

The truth is, in spite of the many mistakes that Ssamba might have done on the way she is telling the story, this is still a great treat for anyone who has been reading Yuri for years and is sick and tired of the Romantic Relationship canon and the plotless fanservice (which is my case). I, as a Yuri lover, thrive for a positive evolution of the genre and we won't get that if we don't get past the fanservice and go through stories like FF which may lack in originality when you look at literary tropes, but which are in some way new to the genre. We may have seen all these things happen in so many tv shows or books, but have we seen it happen in yuri manga? It's a rare sight, since no one seems to invest in the genre at all.

So before we complain about it, let's first look at the good influence manhuas like FF might have: more yuri stories with complexity and intrincacy.

I'd like to finish this by pointing that, yes Ssamba has a few issues here and there. Such as the fact that everyone seems to have the same face, so it gets confusing at times. Especially the male characters, I find them hard to tell apart.

Moving on to the last chapter:

I think that both No-Rae and Sung Pyo were in a tight spot. They both felt powerless in that situation. Sung Pyo especially, since he saw all of his life's work and dedication to soccer going down the drain alongside all of his dreams and ambitions. Of course it took a deep tool on him psychological speaking, so it seems natural to me that it would affect his relationships and the way he perceived his own life and future from that point on.

No-Rae, on the other hand, felt pretty much like shit because she saw all of this happen and she couldn't do anything to change it. She saw the ambitions and goals of someone she loved shatter and the consequences it would have on them.
It really seems natural to me that it would put a lot of pressure on the relationship, because it was pressuring them at an individual level as well.

Regarding Seol-a and No-Rae's future, I really have no idea what to expect. Things seem very complicated with Sung Pyo coming into the scene and I don't know if No-Rae is going to have to deal with some emotional and psychological wounds that might still be left. We'll have to wait to see.