Forum › Posts by anonimoose

anonimoose
joined Aug 31, 2013

First and foremost, thank you, translators, for continuing to work on this very...unique story! Now, this is just my opinion but... (famous last words?) I actually like the translation for chapter 40 and 41. I don't know a lick of Japanese, so I can't verify their accuracy myself (though it seems others have) but it does make sense in Hirao's odd sort of way.

The block of text below is a summary written mostly for my own benefit in following the story because I am a sad sop who does this for fun. Please do not be offended if it seems I've misinterpreted anything. Also, screw pronouns.

[Chapter 40 spoilers?...if you can consider any of it spoil tag worthy...]

In chapter 40, Kawaguchi is reaching new heights of frustration due to not being able to properly communicate with Morishita. It doesn't help that the deadline for Kawaguchi's next manuscript is tomorrow and Morishita keeps sending her weird emails. It's quite distracting. Kawaguchi looks to Takeda for help, hoping that if Takeda returns to Tokyo, Morishita will stop pulling shenanigans and let Kawaguchi work in peace. At the same time, Kawaguchi actually looks forward to these texts, hoping to find out what Morishita's been up to lately. Takeda initially refuses to help Kawaguchi out because she believes Kawaguchi looks down on Morishita's manga. They have a short stint. Takeda gets over it and agrees to watch (and possibly give constructive criticism to) Kawaguchi as she works on her manuscript.

This only stresses Kawaguchi out further, and Takeda suggests they just bring Morishita over to Kawaguchi's place. Perhaps that will get Kawaguchi to relax and just finish the work. Kawaguchi is surprised and a little happy/embarrassed that Takeda made that suggestion, as she would really like to see Morishita. But, Kawaguchi believes Morishita is too busy with all of her serializations to be able to come visit. Takeda remarks that Morishita is actually done with her manuscripts for those serializations and is going to be working as an illustrator that day. Kawaguchi is shocked that Takeda knows this, since this is exactly the kind of information Kawaguchi was hoping Morishita would be texting her about, instead of those weird pictures. Takeda pretty much expresses, "Check her twittor and stop whining."

To Kawaguchi's dismay, she didn't even know Morishita had a Twittor account. Kawaguchi wants to jump right on that and read through Morishita's twittor to see what she's missed. However, Kawaguchi realizes that this is another distraction preventing her from finishing that manuscript. In a moment of rare warmth, Takeda encourages Kawaguchi and says some nice things about Kawaguchi's capabilities. Kawaguchi, touched by the support, is fired up for a moment and prepares to work on the manuscript. Kawaguchi asks if she can check Morishita's twittor first, though. Takeda tells her to check it after the manuscript is done, and, defeated, Kawaguchi reluctantly starts to work.

When Kawaguchi picks up her pen, she feels a sting of pain and realizes she has a callus on her finger due to working so much on her manuscript for the past few days. She then has either a flashback or hallucination to another time where she has a callus and Morishita is there to help her. In order to soothe the pain from the forming callus, Morishita gives Kawaguchi a cold cucumber to hold. (like an improvised ice-pack) Kawaguchi finds that this helped but inhibited her from working on the manuscript. To fix this, Morishita takes the nib (tip) off of a pen and puts it into the tip of the cucumber. Now, (presuming she keeps some ink in the nib or dips the nib in an ink well) Kawaguchi can work on the manuscript and have the cucumber cooling off her callus at the same time. Kawaguchi sees Morishita's smile.

Suddenly, Kawaguchi wakes up from her flashback or hallucination, realizing that Morishita isn't there at all. It's kind of an epiphany for her and she looks a bit lonely because of it. So, Kawaguchi wonders if she was, indeed, hallucinating the whole time. Takeda (who is now laying on the bed instead of sitting, which may indicate a passage of time) is confused. Kawaguchi tries to explain, but is cut short, noticing the cucumber in her hand. She is stunned and believes she wasn't hallucinating at all. Kawaguchi believes Morishita really was there for a while.

This is a little iffy though... I think that, at some point while working on the manuscript, Kawaguchi got so lost in the 'zone' (it happens...) that she unconsciously grabbed a cucumber from the fridge and started working with that. She just imagined the rest, due to severely missing Morishita. Anyway, Takeda would have said something if Morishita had visited. Kawaguchi decides to take a nap, realizing that she isn't thinking clearly. In chapter 41, it looks like Morishita didn't come to Kawaguchi's place after all, seeing as how they have the whole 'say you want to see me!' thing.

tldr; Kawaguchi is feeling more and more distant from Morishita (not knowing she had a twittor, feeling lonely without her, having weird hallucinations about her etc.) and it's really, really bothering her. Could this be emotional development on Kawaguchi's part?

Sorry for the wall of text. m(_ _)m