Forum › Posts by Cogito

joined Apr 16, 2022

I can see how this chapter could be used to seed a GranxDiana end, and given the game Diana is almost certainly bi. But I don't think that's the only reason the scene could exist either. The main point of the chapter as a whole is Natori coming to realize that, while she loves the game, she disagrees with some of its major themes -- most notably, that Gran "should" sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of the country. Similarly, now that she actually knows Diana and Gran personally, she's coming to see their romance in the game as, while sweet and charming, also rather bland and lifeless. So a "Diana and Gran work better as rivals" upshot seems at least as likely imo.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Risa's trying her best to be a wingwoman and make Hiroko jealous but she inadvertently just feeds into Hiroko's delusions instead

joined Apr 16, 2022

Hiyama's flunkies are truly the unsung heroines of this manga

joined Apr 16, 2022

Sounds like the only thing shittier than this mom is her taste in men. What the actual fuck. "Soooo, I'm getting remarried! But he'd kinda prefer it if you two, y'know... Cleared the fuck out? And you want mommy to be happy, don't you?"

Ugh.

"Mom's like a friend to us."

I really liked this chapter. The characterization was on-point with minimal exposition and the creepy vibe was great. The fact that the monster winning could arguably be considered a happy ending for Ichika is a really fascinating thematic twist as well. Very much looking forward to more!

joined Apr 16, 2022

This is one of the most trollish manga I've ever read, it's like it was precision-engineered to piss off the average manga fan, and I unironically have nothing but respect. Manga this stridently anti-wish fulfillment are rare and need to be treasured. Because see, @Naresh44444 is right: adults don't have the luxury to only be able to associate with "good" people. Baba is a bad person, but the MC needs to find ways to get along with him because he's important to her crush and is even becoming friends (or something more??) with her brother now. That's life!

joined Apr 16, 2022

Ren and Youzi wearing matching shirts was extremely adorable

joined Apr 16, 2022

even though in some ways they're very different, this manga kind of reminds me of I See You Aizawa-san, in that they both sort of smash together a bunch of different genres and somehow form a coherent whole -- in this manga's case, that's age gap yuri, crime, ruminations on the role of the church and its confessional, social commentary on the economic exploitation of immigrant labor, comedy, drama...it's very unique.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Yukiho/Alisa is one of my favorite Love Live ships. Thanks for the translation!

joined Apr 16, 2022

i can't decide if my favorite part of the oneshot is the MC's exposition at the beginning implying that the villainess is another typical "actually she was just a poor misunderstood bean" villainess only for it to turn out that she's legitimately a nutjob and the MC was just mindlessly stanning her, or if my favorite part is the shoujo flower creation magic. loved it

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't really see what the isekai element adds.

I mean, if this plays out like various other isekai manhua (and even some manga like The fed-up OL wants to serve the Villainness), it's going to be about them using their knowledge of the work they're in to find a way to evade the fate the work has placed upon them, in this case likely social ostracization for the villainness and death for the Demon Lord.

But you don't need isekai for that. The villainess already faces ostracization if anyone finds out she's faking her magic; the demon lord already risks a lot because she's a street urchin going to an elite magic school that presumably will contain a bunch of classists. There's plenty of conflict already without adding in a "fate itself is against our protagonists" element.

joined Apr 16, 2022

while I enjoyed the second chapter, it kind of made me wish this wasn't isekai lol. both the villainess and the demon lord actually have really interesting backstories and character concepts, and with them meeting as kids I don't really see what the isekai element adds.

regardless though, this is still quite fun. thanks for the translation!

joined Apr 16, 2022

For what is fundamentally a stupid gag manga (I say this with love), Kimura's character development is quite endearing. She's gone from an awkward teenager to...well, she's still awkward, but she's slowly building up her confidence, assertiveness, and willingness to see below the surface and understand the people around her. That's more than mamy protagonists of "serious" works get!

Cogito
joined Apr 16, 2022

this manga feels like a fever dream

joined Apr 16, 2022

It's pretty amusing how many people read a chapter where every self-pitying justification given by the ex-BF is immediately countered by the brother pointing out how everything is 100% his fault and think that this was meant to be a "sympathetic backstory." The point of the chapter isn't "you should feel sorry for him," it's "he has severe character flaws but isn't pure evil."

Either those women who are his occasional sex partners are in it for the fun of it and don't have time for him when he's a sobbing mess and majorly unfun...

Yeah, this is why. Even Midori said he's a fun guy to hang out with.

Cogito
Liberta discussion 14 Apr 13:19
joined Apr 16, 2022

Me, seeing Eri murder trading card scalpers: "You know she has a point..."

joined Apr 16, 2022
Cogito
joined Apr 16, 2022

everything is cliche, it's all in the execution

Cogito
Sasuke discussion 31 Mar 16:42
joined Apr 16, 2022

Sasuke going from international war criminal to yuri manga author is the best redemption arc in history

Cogito
joined Apr 16, 2022

gotta respect the mangaka for proving they have range, lol. it is hard to imagine two more different debut manga than this and Be Careful Onee-san. while i thought this chapter had a bit too much exposition (i could've figured out for myself the MC was pushing her guilt onto her brother's pen pal to avoid drowning in self-loathing), overall i quite liked it and i'm looking forward to future chapters even though it's apparently going to be trimonthly.

I feel like it will somewhat be like the "beauty and the beast girl" was in the sense that the blind girl already knew that she was faking an identity.

her bringing up "Kaoru's younger sister" did feel suspiciously well-timed. i'd also like this twist because it would complicate her character more to give her some deviousness.

last edited at Mar 31, 2023 4:34PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

How did the isekai slavery trope become so common anyways?

(a) It fulfills the male audience's dual savior complex and desire for a submissive gilfriend

(b) It provides an excuse for the girl to fall in love with the bland audience self-insert MC

(c) It's the most extreme form of power fantasy

joined Apr 16, 2022

Yeah but I kinda want it to NOT end in heartbreak, more like a re-evaluation of feelings, coming to terms with the "it's not how it is" scenario but without being rejected — Tae doesn't even have to know Yuki had a crush.

Ah, yeah I can understand that. But I think the mangaka will probably have her confess to Tae so as to compel Mai to admit to her own feelings. Yuki's role from the beginning has kind of been to help impel Tae and Mai to get closer, unfortunately for her lol.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I really liked this chapter. Yuki has been a bit of a flat character, but this chapter was genuinely touching; I could see a real-life kid with a crush acting like she does here.

Hopefully this crush soon turns into pure admiration.
Not that I want Mai to get the girl — i’d rather no one did it for now — but I think that what Yuki needs the most now is an adult figure that will show her the love of someone who is there to take care of her, even by simply spending time with her, because she’s being neglected by those around her.

It's totally normal for kids to get crushes on adults, even in real life; it's the reverse that's the problem. Yuki will still get valuable things from her time with Tae even though her crush is definitely going to end in heartbreak for a multitude of reasons.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I really liked this chapter. Yuki has been a bit of a flat character, but this chapter was genuinely touching; I could see a real-life kid with a crush acting like she does here.

joined Apr 16, 2022

This chapter was so good. Using pretty much the entire second chapter to really show -- instead of just telling in exposition -- how and why Fuyuki is in love with Eri makes both the preceding and upcoming heartbreak far more compelling. (Going to ignore the people slamming Eri despite having no idea what her situations and motives are for my own sake.)

As for upcoming speculation, Fuyuki getting with the senpai, who appears to be her ex as well, seems very likely, but Eri doesn't strike me as the type of person who would get proactively jealous about it. Instead I think it'll probably cause her to distance herself from Fuyuki and invest more in her relationship with Kyou, despite the fact that it doesn't really seem either of them really loves the other (I'm still on the "they both actually love Fuyuki" train).

last edited at Mar 21, 2023 3:45PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

Aizawa's death was announced by her parents, and they didn't provide any details. It's certainly possible she's still alive and they just lied about her death for unknown reasons.