Forum › Posts by esn

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

This kind of stuff happens regularily, but it's always caused by the same person under a different nick.

That's almost more annoying than multiple people, since you've already banned them before.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

"She's drooling on me!" and the triumphant pose at the end. Pretty great.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

At that point she most definitely did not harbor any romantic feelings.

No, she definitely did. That's the whole point of the last page. It's fairly conclusive about it, too.

You're clearly investing a lot into this story. Maybe you ought to go write a thesis on it and get back to us in a couple years. I'm sure we'll all be waiting on the edge of our seats.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

@esn: Apparently Taguchi from Girl Friends was set up for being the tomboy popular with the underclassmen, but Morinaga didn't find the time to put it in.

K,S&CBP also references a couple of popular tomboy characters.

Just for reference.

I forgot about those. I have the English volumes of Girl Friends and K,S&CBP. (Those along with Hayate x Blade are actually my only physical copies of manga).

But there goes trying to lead away from the argument.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Guess I'm too much of a happy optimist for thinking that adults and adult-like children would get their shit together and get along.

Joke's on you. This is the internet.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

The confessions aren't taken seriously, likely because the girls DON'T KNOW HER. You wouldn't accept a confession from someone who knew nothing about you (and vice versa) other than your name and face, would you?

I never get this, though it seems to be the most common element of shoujo. "Your face is pretty, have my babies." or "Your face is pretty, so my social status is increased by being with you."

Funnily enough, the latter is only true for non-main characters. If you're a main character, the actual outcome is "Your face is pretty, so everyone is jealous and wants to beat the shit out of me."

So her asking Miu to break up with Fujiwara, as if she had a better chance, just makes me roll my eyes.

This event makes me think that it's only going to last 4-5 chapters. That seems like a catalyst to "Oh, wait. This isn't fake, I'm in love. I don't want to break up."

For a tall, sporty character, I think Kase is far superior to Fujiwara. Actually, for any tomboyish lead, Kase is the most superior in my opinion.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch04#11
vs.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_princesss_mirror_ch02#7

Back to the actual story, though. I wondered about the boyfriend part. From other Morinaga works it seems that "girlfriend" is used, so it's most likely not just the viewpoint of Morinaga on lesbian gender roles. I'm not going to analyze that part given that there are only two chapters – I want to see how the relationship terminology changes before I make my judgement.

Actually, I just dislike hard analysis until the entire piece has been read through, first.

I wonder if there is some emulation here given that Kase-san has been doing well in Hirari? It always seemed to me that Morinaga preferred very feminine characters reflecting a refreshing lack of gender roles, so I was surprised by the addition of a story with a boyish girl and the "boyfriend" terminology.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

there is a new work of ootomo megane, and one of rochuroichi, on yuri project,
for these, i'm set to wait the final version, instead to read the raws with the traslation apart, like i often do

As for Rokuroichi, you mean the works from the Girl x Girl Collection? That's the one I am most looking forward to reading.

Also, which Ootomo Megane are you referring to?

I'm waiting for Girl x Girl as well. I've been seeing it on the board. Pretty excited for more Rokuroichi.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I know that there isn't much that can be done, but it's really distressing when there is a knock down drag out going on in one of the threads (The Princess's Mirror discussion) and nobody else can post much. I've seen worse, and the participants are still (sometimes) making valid points, but it has pretty much hijacked the thread. I'm sure putting a guidelines of internet debate of guidelines of forum usage sticky thread up wouldn't have any effect, but I thought I would mention it anyway. Certainly nothing I could post would help.

Note: I'm not asking for the discussion to be purged.

I'd request some cleanup there. It really is hindering anyone from talking about how they actually enjoyed the story – it's all arguments that are pointing fingers at each others' stupidity, or pointing out every possible plot-hole in the first two chapters. It's highly unnecessary.

last edited at Dec 30, 2013 9:44AM

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Can we request some cleanup in this thread? This all seems like pointless arguing to me.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

gah, I forgot about that site. i was whining yesterday about no good anime coming out in 2014. thanks for the reminder.

TBH I'm sort of "trade waiting" on Citrus, Girl Satellite and Flag time, so I can read them all in one shot and not chapter-by-chapter. More Sakura Trick would be nice and I'm hoping for Amber Teahouse: Gold and Silver Tips that got mentioned at the end of the main series. More Rokuroichi would be really nice and of course Takemiya Jin. I'd also love to see some more recent stuff from Mikuni Hajime.

Nezchan, I wish I had that kind of patience. Unfortunately, I'd most likely forget what I was reading.

Oh, that's easy. I keep an eye on the forum, and when someone starts getting depressed because the last chapter got posted, it's time to start.

Is there an accompanying feeling of superiority over them? – "Ohoho, your Citrus yuri days are over, but mine are just beginning!" I quite like that idea. If only I had enough self-control to resist the release page.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Posts like this make my heart hurt.

Meh. I wouldn't feel to bad. There's already blatant story contradictions, and it's only been two chapters. Morinaga is losing her touch.

In chapter one the problem was posed that Fugiwara is depressed/upset because she does not think she has any friends/people don't like her. But in this chapter we are told that she has girls confess to her all the time which I fucking hate, and this is an awful story element, forced story progression galore, plus we see the fan girl squad come up to her without a second thought. They are clearly not "distancing" themselves from her.

So, either Fugiwara is autistic and can't pick up glaring obvious social ques or the quality of the writing is going down.

Take your pick, but neither is good.

Eh, but those are girls from the volleyball team, which was already stated that they were the only people who would talk to her. I think she also verified the "has no friends" because she stated that she wasn't sure if the girls confessing were serious or not– as in, are they playing a joke on her?

I mean, with the lack of yuri I try not to be too picky and over-analytical. There are some stories that I really like, and think are well written and everything, but I try not to be too negative about the ones that don't match up to quality. Girlfriends itself was a normal high school cliche anyway, so I think this is just true to most Morinaga stories.

I'm happy when any new yuri comes out, period. And it depresses me when I have to wait a year to finish a story.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

How forgetful of me. Must be the aftereffects of anticipating said upcoming anime adaptations.

Anime adaptations.

Really? Have they released a date?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15564

I've read January 9th and January 10th as the air date for the first episode. Less than two weeks. I'm so excited.

last edited at Dec 29, 2013 1:14AM

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I hope this is a long series like girlfriends

Hirari is quarterly.
(35 - 2) x 4 = 132
132 / 12 = 11

Enjoy the wait.

Posts like this make my heart hurt. It's probably just a 4-5 chapter story, right?

esn
Encore!!! discussion 09 Dec 03:50
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Hahahaha, this was probably the first time I've seen the "pearl" scene drawn, even though that is basically the cliche for that.

The pearl scene made me laugh.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I have a high preference for tsunderes, but other that that I'll read any type of character. I prefer depth of character, longer, with more complex plot, and nice art.

But while I prefer all that, I ready everything anyway. Except for Loli and incest. I'll sometimes read ones with rape tags depending on how it contributes to the story/plot. If it has girls who like girls, I will most likely read it.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Really looking forward to this one. Reminds me of Iono the Fanatics, but it seems pretty clear that the pairing is actually between Aoi and Beniko.

Question: How many more chapters are already out through Yuri Hime? Just hoping we have a little backlog before it goes to once a month waiting.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'm losing my shit over Kill la Kill at the moment. I would love to see more doujins on Dynasty in the future.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Her cock-eyed satyr knees are uncomfortable to look at.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I don't mind the art in this. I actually think it's quite good. It's not moe-manga style, and I agree that it looks more like Western comic style, but that's not bad, just stylistic.

<<<

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Hanjuku Joshi is one of my favorites: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/hanjuku_joshi

Otsu Hiyori has some boyish characters, like in Orange & Yellow. Some of her other oneshots tend to have characters that don't necessarily look boyish, but behave in a masculine fashion (stoic characters).

There are plenty of others. I would just read everything. There are some Non-moe art ones that have very masculine characters like Hands off my Girl as well.

esn
Earth Girls discussion 12 Nov 00:17
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

So into this. Yuri harems ftw.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I really like pretty much everything Dowman Sayman because of the crazy. And this was actually cute/positive at the same time.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

So I know the basic premise of Touhou - the independent shooter games. But I'm a little confused as to how so much depth has been added to characters, and if it's mostly due to fans. How does one get into Touhou?

Basically, are there any sites/summaries that can help out a Touhou beginner? I feel like I'm missing out on a big portion of the reader given how many Touhou doujins there are. I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content/characters.

esn
Image Comments 03 Nov 01:46
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Super cute. Forget Mochizou, Midori is so much cooler.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

And not once did we get "But... we're both girls!".

Stories like that are my absolute favorites.

I like them well enough, but sometimes they just become a trope that needs to be let go for a while.

Ah, I meant stories without the "But...we're both girls!" Unless it has already become a thing...?

I feel like the modern viewpoint on homosexuality is not one of ignorance - the type that leads to the "But we're both girls!". I agree, I like short pieces like this where not a word is said about it - though it's implicit that the character never considered it simply because she was naming all guys. She's slightly ignorant, but I think that's pretty normal. We would all be confused about sexuality if there was no normative point of view, I think. I think this is the right way to handle it in pieces like this – of course there is going to be a heteronormative stance in this age, and it was reflected how it would come about – with the general assumption that the friend has a crush on a boy. But given the truth, there is little resistance, more of an "Oh! I didn't think of that. That's ok," which is an absolutely normal reaction when you're not sure of someone's sexuality.

Anyway, just my little two cents in agreement – I think that in most cases these days, this is a fairly realistic depiction of how it would go about. Heternormative assumptions I can agree with in a story that is meant to be slice of life and realistic, but no real agonizing about the "Oh my god, we're girls!" I know this applies for North America and Europe but I'm not sure about the degree of Japan's point of view.