Forum › Posts by Simca

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Wanted to briefly shout out The Girlfriend Project on Tapas (https://tapas.io/series/the-girlfriend-project) as being fantastic so far. Both the leads are great, too. Requires purchase past the 5th chapter, but I found it to be worth it.

My current favorite series is actually Bai Lijin Among Mortals (available on Bilibili Comics up to ch 70 and manga aggregators up to ch 112). The main couple in that are so good.

Both worth considering if you are somebody like me, who has devoured all Yuri that exists with such ferocity that there is nothing left, so any new title you do find is a precious resource.

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 2:41AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I liked this chapter in some aspects, but the tropes slightly took me out of it. I can't even begin to count the number of romance stories I've read where a rainstorm triggers them sheltering in one character's house, which is followed by bathing drama. Then the author combined in the ever-prevalent "character faints in bathtub" trope, which has always been a strange one (clearly the Japanese all bathe in temperatures at the edge of human endurance).

As for the ongoing debate/discussion around romantic/sexual identification terminology, it's very complicated, obviously. Attempts to simplify it inevitably remove complexity and exclude at least someone somewhere. (Which I'm about to do, so I appreciate the irony.)

An analogy I like to use is to think about sexual attraction as a vector. Vectors are mathematical line functions that consist of a magnitude and a direction. The directional component of a vector of sexual attraction is the person's sexual orientation. Strictly speaking, this is what the 'LGB' terms were originally used to be a catch-all to represent. The magnitude component of a vector of sexual attraction is the level of sexual interest you have towards somebody. This is where terms like asexual come into play. There are probably a very broad range of sexual interest levels (not just 'sexual' and 'asexual'), but there isn't great terminology in this area to describe them. Some people may use terms like hypersexual or celibate, but those terms are intended to answer a different question that is less about initial sexual attraction and more about ongoing sexual activity.

Pansexual and demi-sexual are terms answering a different question ('why are you attracted to the people who you are attracted to?') that is partially related. Lastly, romantic attraction/love are different concepts for the most part.

All of this is compounded in complexity by how hard it is to fully understand and know even oneself. This is partly what manga like this one are showing. Everyone assumes they are one thing (or don't even think about it) until they grow by either physical age or by meeting more people and being exposed to new ideas.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Oooooh that was good! They are really cute together, especially once Waon went back to her old style and turned on the charm. I’d love to read more about them.

I can imagine her mother and grandmother going irate when they find out that not only is she mingling with a commoner (le gasp!), she’s also going to be dating her in the future (oh muy lawd!). Would love to be a fly on the wall when that happens.

Agreed. I wish there was more so we could see this and see her push back against her parents.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

I have a hard time investing in a story with these tags at the start because I need a happy ending.

That said, this intro is really interesting.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

This is great. Super unique twist.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Interesting. This is probably the first vampire story (yuri or otherwise) I read in which the main couple are both vampires. The usual setup is a vampire and a human.

Several webcomics, webtoons, and novels do the vampire couple thing, but yeah it is a bit less common in manga.

First manga that comes to mind where both leads are vampires is one of Mira's series, lol.

joined Jan 3, 2020

There can never be enough vampire Yuri, though I admit I do slightly prefer it when only one of them is a vampire.

joined Jan 3, 2020

it's finished?
owh,i really like them

I don't think so. This author just puts 'fin' at the end of each chapter.

Same thing happens for Her Kiss - Infectious Lust.

last edited at Jan 5, 2022 2:53PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I really like this, despite the unhealthy signs in their relationship. The mistakes they are making are very believable, especially at their age. It's pretty typical for somebody who drops the word "Love" first to start throwing it around more and more often to try to fish for a reaction. It's equally understandable for the other person to act cold to this (especially only via text), if they have low self-esteem.

Though honestly both of them have pretty serious self-esteem issues, maybe that's what makes their relationship somewhat workable despite how dysfunctional they can be.

last edited at Jan 5, 2022 12:37AM

Simca
Lily System discussion 03 Jan 12:06
joined Jan 3, 2020

It's like it ended 4 or 5 times in the last chapter. Very weird.

Like:
Planning to not accept how they couldn't follow each other seemed like a kind of pledge to change things in the real world to make things work out
Wanting to just be souls
Wanting to never leave Fairy Land
Showing them back at the start of the loop at the end

Their friends finding the machine missing (or never existed) despite finding their clothes and them never coming home plus some of the themes here implies another yet another ending: suicide. But that's only if you assume everything that happened is figurative and that no magic and sci-fi stuff existed.

It's like a grab bag of endings.

last edited at Jan 3, 2022 12:18PM

Simca
School Zone discussion 14 Dec 23:46
joined Jan 3, 2020

All that and we still dont know what Hiragis problem is

...the general gist of it really should be fairly obvious by this point. But I'd say the lower right frame here encapsulates an important part of it.

A broken feeling of superiority over her sister is unlikely to be the whole story

"The one who's not Tsubaki" is the key phrase there.

Even at that point she is being treated Better than Tsubaki was when she wasnt performing

Tsubaki was "the sister"
Hiragii later was "the still very smart sister"

And if Hiragii hates Tsubaki for not being her inferior then thats just makes her Terrible, which isnt something that would fit this story

It is probably something really dumb in order to redeem her character. Like... Hiragii lost her purpose in life when Tsubaki wasn't as dependent on her anymore and now she hates herself for being inferior and bringing Tsubaki down, so she decides to leave Tsubaki's side for her own good so that Tsubaki isn't associated with such a failure or something.

That's the sort of tortured rationale you need in a manga to appear as though you are a bad person.

Simca
Your Smile discussion 09 Dec 19:16
joined Jan 3, 2020

Interesting. Second series from this author with leads with names like this (Snow and Sunflower before). Hopefully this one gets finished. I like it so far!

joined Jan 3, 2020

Really unique and distinct premise with likeable characters! Very excited to see where this goes.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I also have a hard time identifying the characters. Is this a different minor couple or is this how this the earlier years of the couple that gets married in chapter 3? My memory is usually pretty good, but I find myself forgetting character names a lot here.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

This was fantastic; a wholesome Yuri, ideal for heart happiness.

joined Jan 3, 2020

It's a complicated situation. I think Nanase and Yuni should break up because they want very different things from a relationship right now. Nanase wants a girlfriend who can stay out of her way and is okay with playing second to the many things reality throws at high schoolers. Yuni is after a girlfriend who is her entire world and vice versa.

Fuuko is... something else. Maybe her intervention is actually helpful in the long run because Nanase and Yuni's relationship does seem like it's going to fall apart at some point. I still can't approve of her methods though. Cheating is wrong (unless they're cheating on a guy because my bias for Yuri is strong enough to bend my morality).

joined Jan 3, 2020

I tuned out after this somehow offended my delicate moral sensibilities in chapter 1 (lol), but I'm glad I picked it back up. It is really interesting if nothing else.

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 8:14PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I was totally confused this whole chapter, but there's Yuri.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This looks really great. I like the bluntness of the girl pursuing the school nurse (also why is it always the nurse, lol).

joined Jan 3, 2020

You know it's gonna be good when there's princess carrying 30 seconds in.

Very true.

joined Jan 3, 2020

It's been a weird story. The crying thing is hard for me to relate to, but I've pushed through on heavy Yuri vibes and the side couple.

And then this type of ending. Two of the manga I follow ended this week (Sora & Haena is the other one). One had two timeskips and summed up the entire plot ambiguously with lots of dangling threads in one chapter. The other was this. Yuri ending before the Yuri part is queerbaiting (intentional or not).

Some day, I envision a world where 90% of Yuri endings aren't open, rushed, timeskip-heavy messes.

If we can get there within my lifetime, I think I'll be happy.

last edited at Oct 1, 2021 9:55AM

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Honestly this is my favorite thing in all Yuri.

Simca
By My Side discussion 24 Sep 19:42
joined Jan 3, 2020

Took me several times reading this to figure out the ending. The girl 'died' (becoming flowers), and then the teacher began to turn into flowers too after repeatedly coming back there after the girl confessed (and subsequently died, I guess). Then the teacher became flowers fully as well. It then shows the girl in some other space (presumably the afterlife) crying and ends with an unknown person (presumably the teacher, who just arrived) putting her hand on the girl's shoulder.

Weird but touching.

Still, if heartfelt wishes could literally manifest, I would be okay with that, at least for me. I always word all of mine pretty carefully... Just in case, lol.

last edited at Sep 24, 2021 7:43PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

This was great. I really enjoy this manga.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Freaking timeskip ending incoming.