Forum › Posts by Alice Cheshire

Alice Cheshire Moderator
LOVE/DEATH discussion 07 Jul 07:05
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan

Personally I'm allergic to being stabbed, I break out in these red marks all over.

I'm immune to getting stabbed. I started with small knives and worked my way up to swords. My body adapted to it.

Purple Library Guy

Am I the only one who was mentally shrieking "Nooo! If you're going to do the block knife with hand thing, don't let the knife be crosswise to the hand!!!"

Nope, you're not the only one.

KAIDOU

I hate it when girls stab me when I'm late

Have you considered not being late then?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

You say it's just not possible to use the word "Gal" in this instance because the meaning is different in Japanese, but I don't buy that. You're already using a translator's note to explain the made-up word "gyaru". How is that any different than using a translator's note to explain the use of "Gal"? "*In this instance the English word 'gal' means..." etc etc. Not only are you more faithful to the text but you've also educated your readership, not all of whom will know that gyaru is a transliteration of gal.

I disagree with you entirely. You would have a point but there's a distinction to be made still. For someone who already knows the word "gal" in English they have to add a completely new definition to it meaning they'll more easily get mixed up when coming across the word since they'll have to figure out which definition to use. "Gyaru" on the other hand is not a word an English speaker is going to come across anywhere with a definition other than the one given in the translator note. Since they'll only be required to remember one definition for the word (as well as the word itself, but that's not all that difficult) it'll be easier for them to figure out what is actually meant.

I think it's kinda like how officially translated works tend to lose honorifics and try to use more natural English speech. It may be more accurate on a technical level but all it serves to do is make things more ambiguous for the reader since they can't easily tell just how close any two characters are now. (Honorifics of course being an extreme example of the point I'm trying to make but it's the same basic idea regardless.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I don't know how hard would be to include it, since it seems it's not the typical type of forum which was phpbb?

Dynasty's forums are completely custom, not a pre-existing software. So in order for something like that to be added it has to wait for someone responsible for coding the site has time to do so. Implementing a custom Google search should be reasonably easy. Actually adding the ability to search through the forums itself to the site's main search would probably be quite a bit more complicated.

Also phpBB isn't the typical type of forum software. It's just one of the more common ones since it's free. You'll find that a ton of professional sites use vBulletin or, in the last few years, XenForo too. (Both of which are actually very common and you have to pay for them.) And on top of that there's several other free forum softwares such as Simple Machine Forums or MyBB, just they're nowhere near as common as phpBB.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I like that the smaller girl is the sempai - even if it's only by a year.

That's actually the same idea as in The Secret Recipe though so it's not terribly new. Looks interesting regardless though.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

His hearth is burning with sadness? Or he feels as if he was burn by that decision?

Well that just sounds boring. And kinda petty on his part. (Not that his actions weren't petty in the first place.)

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Regarding that pastor who said he'd light himself on fire, he's now saying he didn't mean it literally, I mean geez!

Huge disappointment all around. They don't make martyrs like they used to.

How exactly does one figuratively light themselves on fire?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

You can't link directly to the image in these kind of site, at best, you link the page where we can find the image

You can often trick it into loading if you open the link then click the address bar and hit enter. Though just linking the page is still the best choice.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I think a lot of her reluctance isn't age, or that Matsuri isn't as smart as her. It's her not getting over the 1st Miss Sunflower and moving on.

I decided to start rereading it from the start last night and other than not exactly being that smart and not being as into books as the original Miss Sunflower Matsuri's personality is actually very reminiscent of her. That's probably at least part of the reason Miss Sunflower (the current one) ended up growing as fond of her as she has. She's probably just not completely certain on her feelings currently and doesn't seem the sort to spend much time worrying about herself so it'll take her awhile to come to any realizations regarding her own feelings.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

but not in a relationship - that will be left an open question.

I pretty much agree with you other than this bit. I don't think it being left up in the air is going to happen at this point since it's clear that Miss Sunflower has some sort of feelings for Matsuri too, even if they may not be romantic ones. Though I am curious how that situation might be handled if she doesn't end up returning those same feelings since the series mostly avoids drama and that sort of outcome would typically be very drama filled.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

It occurs to me that the things opponents have been saying are pretty similar (from what I've heard) to what was being said when the supreme court struck down bans on interracial marriages decades ago. The only difference was that then a majority still opposed interracial marriage while now a majority already supports same sex marriage.

I've actually seen quite a few people mention this now and it's kinda hilarious because it only ends up making those that oppose it even worse. The fact they struck down interracial marriage bans despite having little public support while it's a majority for gay marriage and it's still taking forever to get people to stop being morons about it is kinda disappointing though. then again seeing how many opposing arguments I've seen from politicians trying to use religion to justify their views only shows they're not very smart since they can't even grasp the simple idea of separation of church and state.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I always found that strange, me saying "Americans" should mean "Many/Most Americans". Adding "most" seems redundant.

It doesn't though. It's an inclusive statement so it's closer to saying all Americans than most.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Wasn't there a pastor who said he'd light himself on fire if gay marriage got legalised?

So is this pastor trying to say gay people make him hot or something?

Americans know nothing of other countries of the world , they don't realize their right is completely different for what europe and the other countries of the world consider "the right".

Most Americans*

Many Americans, especially those who frequent the internet and specifically those who make online friends from other countries tend to know a lot more about other countries.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Just that one itty bitty panel with Goddess Madoka made me fall for her xD so cruel!

Madoka in the entire thing was a bit mean. It was hilarious. The bit you mentioned was the best though, lol.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Japan isn't that huge. It's 2 hours by train between Tokyo and Kyoto. It's not the US.

http://i.imgur.com/cjkvtmd.png

I dunno how to embed images here but you're fairly off. Japan may not be as big as the US but it's still very large. Traveling from the Canadian border to the Mexican border is approximately the same distance. I live about 2/3rds that distance from Los Angeles and it took my family about 16 hours to drive there by car without taking a break past stopping to use the restroom or get food.

"Too far away" isn't really the issue. It's just that it takes extra effort to maintain the relationship.

But that is clearly at least part of the issue here. Since Takemiya didn't bother actually going in-depth into anything and just generalizing it instead we can't say what their dreams were or anything or how much of a factor they were in comparison to the distance which was clearly a factor. Long distance relationships are not for everyone. It's not a matter of effort. Some people simply cannot do it. On top of that it's a different culture. You cannot compare it to western culture where long distance relationships are a lot more common.

A lot of manga are based on this : once you graduate, once you change job, once you quit a club, if nothing connects you, then all is left are the feelings. And if they are not strong enough, you drift apart. They even willingly put an end to things so as to no be "held back" by these feelings.

Which as someone pointed out earlier is part of Japanese culture... Again: Different cultures. Trying to judge it by western standards is not fair.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

That's exactly what the end of "Girl friends" is about if you remember. Re-read it.

Mari decides to put in the effort to make her relationship with Akko work. Even though they are both girls, even though they are not studying the same thing, even though they may be separated temporarily, if they don't give up, then it'll be all right.

This isn't like Girl Friends though. The separation at the end of Girl Friends was about them going to different schools but staying in the same city. At the very end the text Mari receives from Akko is talking about meeting up after her job or something along those lines. In this one she's going to a different city and it's implied to be too far away for them to visit each other.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Could have used more of the yuri couple too, of course.

Completely agreed there. Kanae (dunno if I should actually bother spoilering that but oh well, won't hurt anyone) was absolutely adorable in my opinion, lol. So was Momo (well really basically all of the girls and some of the guys were adorable, lol) though I wish she was around longer than just the last volume and I wish her story was properly concluded on-screen (er, on-page?) rather than left slightly ambiguous like it was.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

At the very end it mentions there's a planned work on Taiyou and Ten, has that ever actually been released anywhere and translated by anyone? While things did start to develop between them it still didn't have an actual conclusion by the time the series ended so I'd kinda like to read it if possible.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Bridesmaid discussion 05 Jun 01:11
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Right, ignoring all logic. Like the logic that she needed to wait until after she had her friend who she knows loves her come along shopping for the wedding and until right after the ceremony to reveal everything and tell her that she needs to move on? Because that's where people are getting the cruel adjective from.

Someone already explained why this is wrong like last page.

The cultural context of families making their children feel obligated to marry people they don't want to marry is where people are getting the tired and cliched adjectives from.

And it's something that is still an issue there so why is that even relevant?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Bridesmaid discussion 05 Jun 00:44
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well, I hate to be that person, but y'know, there's a lot of back story that we can't see. Like, for example, what kind of person is Fleur? From this brief 28 page story, we can already tell that Fleur is the pining type. The type that really can't let go. What kind of person is the bride? She only had like 4 pages of actual dialogue, so I think it's safe to say we don't really know how she works. But it's pretty obvious that she wanted to help ease Fleur's pain and probably her own. I'm not saying that this wasn't sad and a bit teeth grating, but maybe for the two characters this was really the best scenario.

Like, what if she told Fleur before the wedding and somehow Fleur mustered the courage and balls to crash her wedding with an objection? I mean, I know it's hard for some of us to understand how important family traditions and what not are for some people, but we ought to respect their choices. It would be incredibly disrespectful and bigoted of us to ignore their weighed decisions and make their choices for them.

I dunno, I'd rather just complain about the ending and assume the bride is extremely cruel and ignore all logic and cultural context in the matter because I disagree with the cultural context that the entire story kinda relies on personally. Note before someone misses it: That was sarcasm. I think the whole being pressured into marriage thing is flat out moronic but it's still a part of the culture so whether I like it or not the story is still pretty realistic in that regard.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I like this story but there's one bit I really don't like at the end. The author makes it a point to go over how Romi and Juli lost contact after 6 months then mere pages later they're reunited and WHY this happened is never even addressed. That's the only part of the story I really mind all that much.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I've always had to paid 10-12 per book so I'm not seeing how that's expensive. The only time I pay lower than that is if there's a sale. Sometimes I'll catch something on Amazon for 9 something per book. I guess I'm just used to paying that amount.

For actual novels? I'm used to paying $8 for them, occasionally up to $10 but fairly rarely. Maybe it differs somewhat by region. Either way though I don't think that's expensive for a novel nor do I think $12 is all that bad for a manga either considering that the lower demand requires a higher price to actually make a living off of it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well but what would you consider is cheap though? Personally 12 isn't that bad for me considering the amount of work that go into each of these books.

A standard paperback novel is usually about $8 in the US and that's around the same length and same amount of work as a manga volume overall. Though there's a far lower demand for manga versus novels even with physical books becoming less popular over the years.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Kase-san discussion 01 Jun 04:43
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

to yamada guys re just telephone pole.
no sex ed at school?

Why pay attention to boys when you can pay attention to plants?

Kase is going to be dissapointed to hear that Yamada is plant-sexual.

There's been several instances on the latest chapters where you can notice Kase performing photosynthesis, she's already became a plant

She's actually a rare sentient crossbreed between a venus flytrap and a lily.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Kase-san discussion 31 May 18:25
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Is this the first chapter where potential drama hasn't been solved by the end of it?

...Tan in Japan seems quite easy to get... Never succesfully got one and i'm even in Brazil...

Some skin types either don't tan easily or won't tan while others tan with ease.

I don't tan, I burn. Even with sunblock, lol.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

For one shots:
Present - It's just a nice story no matter how you look at it.
Blank and its sequel - Unrealistic when it comes to amnesia (apparently most media and public perception actually is though so that's excusable) but an interesting story nonetheless.
Blue Flame, Fragrant Clay - Despite its awkward translation is a rather cute story
A Cold and After That - Nice art and good writing for such a short story.

For longer series:
Chatting At The Amber Teahouse - Low drama and nice art, very interesting read.
Aqua Blue Cinema - Nice art, just enough drama, not too unrealistic.
Pieta - I haven't read this one in awhile so I can't give specific details but despite not being the biggest fan of the art and actually finding the first third of the story a bit boring this is still one of my favorite yuri mangas. The last two-thirds more than make up for the other issues.
Notes From the Garden of Liles - Can't really say why for certain, I just find myself rereading this one pretty often.
Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink - I'd probably have to rank this one as my overall favorite yuri manga. (Or series since it seems to be two parts no matter where you find it.) It's like Girl Friends if that one were a little bit more realistic and less fluffy.

I could actually add quite a lot more (especially some of the more sad one like Shiroi Heya no Futari) but I tried to keep it down to just a small list of some of the ones I enjoy reading most.