Forum › Posts by Pyrrho

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

I can't wait to see Takuto's outfits.

And oh no the ex, next door to Minamo, and she's definitely a troublesome personality. This chapter felt like watching a catapult be loaded.

Thanks again for the translation, and the upload!

last edited at Apr 26, 2022 12:15AM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Chou struck out quickly with Botan who is already in a "special" relationship with Ibuki. What a proactive (yuri) girl; I hope this side of her stays relevant because everyone else is so indirect, especially shy Ibuki. Chou seems sweet so I hope for justice, but she's sporty so Gujou the smoker senpai is probably out as a romantic option at first. I'm interested in that interaction. Everyone else is paired.

I'm loving how Ibuki and especially Botan usually have so many tells. Then again... this chapter made it seem like Ibuki isn't as certain of her feelings as I thought, which would be stupid as they indirectly mutually confessed in chapter 10 at the shrine. Perhaps Botan isn't absolutely sure Ibuki can feel attracted to women in the same way as Gojou or herself? And is already bracing herself for things not working out?

I feel bad for Gojou never getting firmly rejected by Ibuki. Gojou realizes she probably has no chance with her bestie, yet Gojou cannot concede.

last edited at Apr 27, 2022 5:09PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

The yokai worldbuilding is expanding better than I expected, which is a welcome change of place. And Mikage has a more nuanced plot role as a contact to that world, rather than just being a family envoy and cantankerous grump.

Beautiful heavy drinker incoming, judging by what we've seen. The tanuki is probably going to turn out to have a female human form that makes Naori blush, then the tankuki blushes a lot after drinking. That bartender is awfully generous and pliable around beautiful women. Not that Naori is likely to give mixed messages or fail to set boundaries and undermine her bond with Hinata, but a harem of admirers may become annoying.

I wonder when Naori will make a non-alcoholic cocktail, for good or as a defense. I haven't forgotten that "ogre-killer" from Naori's grandpa in the first pages of ch 1. Her recipe may be lacking something blessed or cursed though, otherwise it just seems like starving someone.

last edited at Apr 14, 2022 9:59PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

So far, Saki's character design and visible personality is very similar to Shiro.

S/b “Shino,” throughout.

Ah! I really typed her name wrong every time!

I’m not sure why a series would be editorially blocked from developing a yuri theme when it’s allowed to introduce a fully developed trans character.

"Allowed" huh... It's sad how true that is. Heidi merely existing, their subplot, and especially their role as an emotional guide are all so much setup that I've been cautiously expecting romance since. The compounding setup and subtext are still not direct evidence Ani no Yome will become a romance story, only that it should.

Shoujo ai can be published in seinen magazine Young Gangan by Square Enix, but the magazine does not publish series about realistic lesbian thinking. Baka-Updates lists their full shoujo ai / yuri series as action ecchi. Corpos may favor brand more than the genre shift of a profitable long-running series into a disconcerting and serious lesbian romance. No less one involving Shino's first-love for a woman who is now her emotionally-dependent guardian. There's nowhere better for this sort of manga in Enix's own current portfolio. They can either break new ground or the series can move to a competitor.

In comparison! The Moon on a Rainy Night is initially published on a Kodansha website, a larger publisher with a more varied portfolio. The website probably makes tracking the demographics of readers easier than back-of-the-issue surveys. This less limited series started just when the other series was approaching the edge of the style of its magazine. Freedom is great, data is great, selling monthlies through two sometimes-competitors is a power move. It still makes me wary of the fate of the other story but I'm all aboard for this disability-lesbian intersectionality.

last edited at Apr 10, 2022 1:34AM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Komachi is so helpful! She just wants to please people and sometimes doesn't understand sarcasm or nuance. Whenever she is blushing, she's saying or doing what she thinks others want to hear. Like when telling Satsuki it's okay if she stops. Or lying because it will help a goal. Or acting friendly, especially early on. Maybe even staging a couple deaths that would emotionally benefit Satsuki or Prez.

Meanwhile Akira doesn't give a damn about what people think and cares about Satsuki's well-being. It's going to be rough when she has the family tragedy though.

last edited at Apr 7, 2022 7:29AM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Edit: Please support Masatsuka Chii sensei on Fanbox.cc! Because she's wonderful! This is my favorite recent manga because of its subtle portrayals of joyful and troubled emotion.

I'm glad to see Yurika's distrust now on Dynasty! Also, Minamo's growth is an absolute treat. Thank you translators and staff!

last edited at Sep 23, 2022 4:56PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

As of this chapter, I'm now convinced premise is:

Satsuki attempts to save Komachi the heroine... from committing murders! Akira keeps Satsuki grounded. Komachi tries to mess her up.

Is Komachi supernatural? Probably. Some murders would require perfect timing or intuition about people's personalities, respectively her own first and second deaths. Seeing shadows while feeling homicidal doesn't seem like a consistent way to plan murder. Is Komachi a psychopath obsessed with manipulating an honest girl who has a huge crush on her? Definitely. She's a bully rather than a yandere. I'm sure she's got personal issues, but I can't forgive this villainess for what she puts our girl through even if she never accomplishes an actual murder or suicide.

With this latest convoluted murder method, prez isn't the culprit. The risks of making a car swerve into a bystander are too much for testing Satsuki. He and VP were probably talked into being accessories to the main killer but have less skill.

Worst-case this chapter is Satsuki was calculated to draw Sensei or Akira into position to get severely injured.

last edited at Mar 23, 2022 8:27PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

I’m glad Miura seems like a good teacher. Maybe this is just my brain being poisoned but when he laughed after hearing Kanon say she wanted to sit next to the person she liked I just suddenly thought “oh he’s definitely gay”

Right?! Miura is loner, and despite having an aloof attitude he's a warm and humble teacher. He acts like he's either closeted and used to distancing himself or out to prejudiced coworkers. Given that sort of shell and a time-consuming-looking hair design, I also think he's gay.

That Japanese Sign Language sign earlier was basically where I expect this series to go. The sign is real in it's subculture for serious lesbian relationship, and marriage though the national laws around marriage haven't changed yet (the courts approved but the elected diet haven't). Saki is blatantly lesbian, and seems anxious about being a minority and different, but it's not comparable to what being disabled is like. That's intersectionality. The different way the two main characters got into music is also a good flashpoint.

I'm worried that The Moon On A Rainy Night is either began as a yuri release valve or as a trial due to Living With My Brother's Wife being blocked or delayed from further going too far into LGBT issues. So far, Saki's character design and visible personality is very similar to Shino. Saki is determined, calmer when not around Kanon, and self-aware. Shino is more bubbly and has gradually matured into becoming earnest but she's been repeatedly stated to not understand her own emotions. This year would be about the timing Shino would become self-aware of being gay if she ever does, and her series has had clear discussion with a queer character about it changing their life recently, and it's at a turning point... Even with all that, given someone Shino-like and lesbian in this probably faster-paced series, I'm concerned it began partly from a transplanted plotline. Both gals are dedicated and heartfelt characters though, so hopefully the connection is just that Kuzushiro has a soft spot for this design... I need to let go of this meta a bit so I'm not stressing while reading these two favorite series. I'm so glad this series isn't full of romantic subtext.

last edited at Apr 9, 2022 7:32PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Thanks for the chapter release!

I'm not sure whether or not I'm on-board with a celebrity sub-genre story until the first arc finishes. So far so good.

joined Sep 1, 2021

It finally looks like we'll learn more about Komachi's dark side. She's like a mascot character and Satsuki is attracted to her, so it's easy to give her a pass for her usual thoughts being an enigma. Spoilers / reminders for CHAPTER ONE follows:

Komachi was cursed at first for some reason, and "Komachi Komako should have died" says chapter one. Her hairclips look like demon horns, which for an angelically calm girl is a massive warning flag. After Komachi, most of the later attempted murders were connected to the student council. Now that multiple people can see the dead within the same school, and they're in a twisted showdown, Komachi is more and more suspicious. Either she was supposed to die for cosmic justice (a murderer), or she's somehow instigated the death-sight death-match itself, or both. Komachi is on the student council as secretary, so she makes sense as an accessory but with the fate stuff she doesn't fit as a first target.

This yuri is nerve-wracking, but Satsuki clearly isn't going to move on from this girl anytime soon. Komachi may not be an obvious yandere but she's not very responsive either. Scary.

last edited at Mar 23, 2022 6:18PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

"then if she wasn't straight, would you have a crush on her?" So Lan Sha is trying to indirectly confirm she's her crush's love interest, but she isn't even sure if she's asking an AI character Bai Yuegang, a human player suspected to be Bai Xinxin, or the real but doubted scenario where her mind is connecting to another world with Bai Xinin stranded there. Lan Sha has moved on from thinking it's fine if it's a yuri route to feeling jealous over another real woman. Progress?

I guess we have to assume that when she's playing she's usually fully immersed, and both Lan Sha are merged together every time Bai Yuegang sees her. She apparently thinks she was just playing a PC game with limited options, a plot change she wasn't warned about, Bai Xinin somehow, and a character slightly like herself. The experiences and senses of the witch don't transfer to the PC player, and the PC player doesn't have much freedom to take actions or speak freely as the witch. If Lan Sha was aware, she would have plenty of clues by now that someone is AI or human, especially with Bai voiced. There's no clue where or how Lan Sha's mind merge works, or how she blocks out or forgets details between worlds.

last edited at Mar 9, 2022 3:52AM

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021

Don't forget final blushing and hugging! There are kisses. With Choko's lips it's obvious Mitsumi was kissed and with Hana's face it's implied Mitsumi was between two kisses!! Choko and Mitsumi established mutual affection. Mitsumi is visibly polyamorous. One poly vertex makes this now a polyamorous triangle.

Where things go from here is open to interpretation of the last two pages. Does Choko's "It's okay with us" mean just Hana's plan or the results of being free with your feelings in general, where Choko's feelings apparently grew poly? My interpretation of the gag in the last panel: Hana and Choko seem to be in a kind of competition for Mitsumi because Choko seemed slightly jealous, Hana seemed oblivious, and Mitsumi was stuck between them with a sweatdrop like a sighing harem protagonist. This could have made a good short series.

No one is pressuring Mitsumi and Hana to become polyamorous but with Choko established poly and the happy tone of the ending, a proper triad could happen. Realistically Hana risks becoming the third-wheel of the newly-mutual Choko-Mitsumi pairing. A girl who loves you stole your girl, damn. Losing a girl you love because you also love her girl, damn. A mutual love won't be lost as easily.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Shino is maturing so much. She is increasingly thoughtful and sometimes even wise, and those wistful shots of her the past couple chapters are great. Nozomi has plenty of experience but less emotional flexibility so it's lovely how far she has come with Shino's support.

Plus they're so good for each other that as they patch up their weaknesses the "they were roommates" vibe keeps increasing. Dammit Kuzushiro.

And we got a reminder of the foreshadowing from chapter 103. We know Akiko was called to her own sister's home during vacation, Akiko's sis had an ulterior motive and paid for the trip, and now Akiko somehow got uncomfortable. Did the sister get engaged, or pregnant, or come out as queer? Those seem the most likely reasons, since Shino is going to be impacted as collateral damage after hearing about it.

The thing this most reminds me of is the superb Ikkoku Nikki, even though this is much more tropey and conventional in its scene construction and art style—I feel like I’m actually watching the lives of people who are situated these particular emotional circumstances rather than observing a story machine run its programmed routines (which I do enjoy immensely when it’s done well).

Superb is the perfect word for Ikkoku Nikki. These two stories have extremely similar premises and emotions, but they play out differently. Nozomi and Shino are more energetic than that aunt and niece. Ikkoku Nikki is a more philosophical exploration of trauma and doesn't have the romantic undertones, heck the cool aunt is dating a cool dude.

Venting: Nozomi and Shino's relationship really couldn't go romantic until recently (if it ever does) without having a big squick factor from either seeming as Nozomi manipulating a grieving child, or failing as a reliable guardian. That'd be romance genre but extremely unromantic.

Sure we could have gone somewhat beyond subtext, but subtext is probably better than representation that may be only good for titillation and undercutting the realistic trauma drama. For good angsty mistakes let alone a healthy relationship to be made, both women need to be becoming mature and mentally stable enough to slightly manage the situation. Consent is sexy. If outsiders figure it out they'll see that romance as deeply wrong, especially Nozomi's mom, but at least we the audience must be convinced it's worth cheering for. In retrospect if Kuzushiro brought in too much more romance before now it would have brought down the story quality to merely very good, and from around this point forward if the story goes romantic for a long stretch it will probably become a masterpiece. If it's nothing but subtext, I usually hate that, but this work will still be great Yes this is exhausting but it's so very good. \vent

last edited at Feb 28, 2022 11:25PM

Pyrrho
My Duckling discussion 26 Feb 23:36
joined Sep 1, 2021

They were roommates. Very good friends.

joined Sep 1, 2021

And now the married couple are going out into society, probably not always hiding that they're married. Storm clouds above.

Not everyone is chill with lesbians, they've just been lucky with prejudices so far. The manga has treated the work strain, fear of family judgment, and lack of cash seriously. Angst incoming.

last edited at Feb 26, 2022 3:50AM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Watanabe's first thought: Someone (girl) x Myself
Second thought: I can be single but my OTPs must get married.
Third thought: So thirsty for yuri I will ship the gyaru threat-to-women with her boy-loving sister. I am impervious to romance.

:) that’s cute I didn’t even realize some boys were yuri fans but ofc there are
Now I desperately want a similar manga about a guy who thinks yuri is not for them but slowly transitions
You could do all the character archetypes helping her discover all the cool things about being a girl, gyaru teaching her makeup, class president insisting on dignity and poise, tomboy showing her that she can still like boyish things
One day I’ll be able to draw and then watch out

Yes. Iamlovingthat4u, I want your dream to come true.

Most social-transition comics are built around magical genderswap. Autobiographical work like The Bride Was A Boy don't scratch the narrative itch. I loved the social transition stuff in the crossdressing cis hetero romance Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (or The boy who cried wolf tells a lie today also), and it has a canonically trans older-sister support-character. Boys Run The Riot is about a trans man learning manliness, though it's fairly serious and it feels rushed especially at the end. I don't know of anything that's exactly a transition comedy but some things do capture some of the mood.

last edited at Feb 25, 2022 2:34PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Chapter 1 was around the limit of where subtext goes, with the mention of marriage and the hurt feelings. Now we have a good idea of the conflicts and how it relates to Saki's interests in piano and Kanon.

• Saki is self-aware she's lesbian in the closet. The most important conversation for me was when Kanon foreshadowed that people including herself make assumptions about others and unfairly label them. Saki and Kanon experience being an outsider in very different ways.
  • Saki wanted to continue piano despite losing the teacher she liked, maybe she didn't want to give in easily but she seems to care about being a musician. If she's crushing on the daughter of her new teacher, she will be a lot less convincing that she's doing things for the right reasons. I can imagine former-musician Kanon getting offended.

Kanon is great. I can't wait to learn more about how she built and enforces the boundary between herself and others.

joined Sep 1, 2021

The manga is bad-end hentai with the sex scenes removed. Remi is a textbook campus rapist. No character totally rejects the toxic dynamic of the group, no one faces long-term consequences, half the cast are varying degrees of psyhcopaths without empathy. Emotionally the worst is the ostensible main character Ruki is first manipulated into sex by Remi when drunk (even if not rape from Ruki's perspective, Remi was determined to get sex by alcohol if seduction didn't work so intended drunken rape), and then Ruki gets emotionally abused with promise of more to come.

Remi literally tried to use powdered drugs on people, and gets girls incredibly drunk so they can't consent. Implied to be far more girls offscreen. The core plot structure of this manga is built around a rapist sociopath who doesn't get caught and will not change. It's to the point where it was totally normal to get others to facilitate a revenge-rape.

So yeah. I should have dropped this instead of being a completionist. If it's your taste that's fine, but be self-aware how much of this is non-consensual or only incidentally consensual outside of Rumi's determination to get laid.

last edited at Feb 10, 2022 5:56PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Chapter 91. Shino is confused when she first runs into them into the mall and asks. Voice of a man but appears a woman. Also Heidi in the chapter states liking “useless men.” I believe when you read the chapter of Heidi’s backstory (might be a few chapters before 91) you’re given more details. Then in 106 you see Heidi’s flashback as a male student agreeing to his father to go to Buddhism school. I don’t think Heidi is trans though, just a homosexual male cross dresser.

We haven't been given any labels and labels don't match perfectly between cultures and eras anyhow.

It's enough to say that Heidi likes men, is androgynous, and is gender nonconforming. I could apply the pronoun they or she due to Heidi's ambiguous impression toward others in conversation, and I'll count this as great GNC representation (fistpump), but that's as far as we could label them. Heidi could be labelled as an effeminate man, a non-binary person (enby vibes at 200%), or a trans woman who is socially transitioned and not on obvious hormones.

Even in a real world situation, there's no precise answer until they say so and it's not relevant to their personality. If need be you just guess a polite label and maybe get corrected.

With better options now available in English with less stigma, crossdresser isn't a very common identity. It's best not to label folks with that one too readily.

last edited at Feb 6, 2022 3:59PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

That sort of popcorn exists in the west too... I never bought it though I may have had it when camping as a kid.

Oh right OXYTOCIN 〜( ̄▽ ̄〜) the hug hormone that brings couples together. And the hormone that couples, together, bring themselves. Praise be to oxytocin for guiding Kurumi toward her lily destiny! Ruriko has already been in the useless closet puppy-love for years, of course she's the one pursuing in the end... The preciousness of hugs will overwhelm them both shortly.

last edited at Jan 30, 2022 8:33PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Cute, but do people really match up on dating apps just looking for friends? And also hide their gender?

Considering you need to enable women in the settings, and it's a dating app, I assumed Ayaka was absent-minded when setting up the app and open to dates with women from the start. Usually a dating app won't match straight women with other women but I guess I've heard of "friends" meetup settings though, maybe it was a feature of a Japanese app? So the app users can assume dates with the same gender are platonic though they might not be.

last edited at Jan 25, 2022 8:42PM

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021

Whoa, the yuri jumped about six notches at that last part.

We've just gone from teasing hints to possibly having a relationship built around pressing faces together. If this stands then adding a yuri tag may finally be justified.

The premise seemed to promise rockets that don't fit the scale in this genre or the pacing, but if the series gets even more affectionate that feels like it's keeping a promise that some other series just tease. I'm suddenly excited.

All hail forehead kissing.

last edited at Jan 21, 2022 6:18PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Senpai-kun is "sentimental" by his own admission, and he'll take his feelings too seriously, work himself up, then eventually crash and burn. The only way Shino temporarily dates him will be if she's distracting herself from something big.

Means-to-an-End-kun's plot didn't come out of nowhere considering his changing awkwardness and hyper-awareness of 'Taishi's little sister'. It was always there. It bugged me more that the chapter felt detached from the narrative - it didn't immediately tie the new definite issue to either of main character's own agency, and we don't have a major conflict established for this arc for it to tie into.

The main tension relaxed a lot, and we have so much angst, friends, buildup, and multiple conflicts already pre-assembled and waiting for Shino and Nozomi... and no idea what is going to start winding up or even what will have payoffs later.