Forum › Posts by johnb

johnb
C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Geeze. I wish they would post these comments, latest to earliest.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

The story seems to be treating what happaned as okay. Like Kousaka-san is just showing Jinno-san a path to adulthood. What Kousaka-san did is.... well rape. There is really no getting around it. I think I would be cool with what happaned between Kousaka-san and Jinno-san, if Jinno-san had understood what was happening and gave permission, but this is hard to swallow. I always want to root for yuri love. Sometimes the story makes it hard to. though.

joined Sep 1, 2017

So what if this story gets real, and delves into really dark places. I've read my share of lesbian stories. They are not all rainbows and kittens, and they don't all have happy endings. Some of them were so hard to take I threw the book across the room (or I would have, if I wasn't reading them on my tablet.). Those were the ones that made me think the most, and stuck with me the longest, though.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Am I the only one who actually likes this story

Well, probably not; I at least respond less negatively and am more interested in seeing what happens than some others evidently are.

But there's no doubt that this comes off as a more toxic version of Dear My Teacher with a much more disturbing undertone to the younger character's actions and the teacher's responses to them.

So where DMT started off with the MCs both seeming a bit damaged or emotionally incomplete and eventually coming to a pretty healthy place together, this one feels like sooner or later the plot is going to turn over some rocks with some very nasty things underneath them.

But I'm a person who focuses on the question "What are the elements any given story is deploying, and how are they going to work themselves out?" For readers for whom the main question is "Do I like/respect/relate to/want to spend more time with these characters?" there's arguably not much to like and a good deal to dislike.

I wouldn't use the words like or dislike, when dealing with this story, or it's characters. I would say I'm more intrigued by them. Your probably right. there will most likely be some pretty nasty psychological issues to deal with. But I feel, that by the end of it the MCs will heal and grow.
Honestly the only real problem I have with story is why the authors chose to make Madarame-san a middle school student. If she was a high school student I could safely root for the MCs to grow together, and eventually became a couple. As it is, I want to root for yuri, but my conscience wont let me.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Um Aoi-san just a quick production note, for page 12. There is absolutely nothing sexy about the the phrase "wet discharge".

joined Sep 1, 2017

and not some perv guy writing out some hentai fantasy.

Girls can't be perv? Isn't Mira a woman who does some of the best perverted hentai on this website ٩(♡ε♡)۶

If Mira isn't a woman, I know more private example and stuff.

Heck yeah girls can be pervs! For some reason, I find women's pery stories much more... lets go with acceptable. Besides an man writing about inappropriate relationships between girls, seems wrong to me, somehow.

I think Mira is actually a collection of authors working under a single banner. But don't quote my on that.

last edited at May 22, 2018 3:27PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Is it weird that I'm okay with the teacher / middle school student hook up, because they're both girls, and they're writen by an actual women author, and not some perv guy writing out some hentai fantasy.

last edited at May 22, 2018 4:18AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Ah man. I think I'm going to bail on this one. It made me, all kinds of uncomfortable. It's one thing for a character to have an ambiguous loli attraction. It's quite another for a character, to be a blatant petophile. I tend to overlook yuri perv characters, especially if they were written by female authors This one might be to much.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

So, Jinno-san is so young and naive, that she didn't even know what sex was. I thought this was going to be warm coming of age story, but it keeps going in a direction, that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

johnb
Touma-kun discussion 16 May 16:30
joined Sep 1, 2017

Wow, Touma-kun is like training wheels, for love and sex, for these girls.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

I have no clue what you are trying to get at. Nothing in those pages says anything about why they have arranged marriages. Arranged marriages are not even brought up until the very last line.

Given how the two of them talk about the whole thing, they're totally resigned to being betrothed to people other than the one they love. That's arranged marriage right in the face of it, and it's somewhat difficult to see why their families would brother with the whole thing if there weren't practical (ie. economic and strategic) reasons to. And from Sayuri's comment, plus the presumably solidly middle-class Kohane's bewilderment, we know that's something particular to and not uncommon for wealthy upper-class families.
Ie. political marriages between powerful clans.

The stumbling block was literally put in place because of the sexes. Daughters couldnt inherit so they would be wed into another house to form an alliance. Families of only daughters were doomed to die unless they got lucky and were able to adopt the second or third son of another house. If daughters can inherit then who gets adopted into which family? Who gets the inheritence? Its a system built around the patriarchy, remove the patriarch and the system fails.

You're forgetting that the marriage itself forms a certain bond between the two families. This was often the primary purpose of historical political marriages, the whole inheritance shebang often being somewhat secondary or causing problems further down the road (due to inconveniently inherited claims) - or in some contexts all but irrelevant depending on how the relevant laws and customs happened to work.
It's alliance building by the admittedly somewhat primitive but relatively effective expedient of binding the families together by means of marriage and, eventually, children. (Actual track record of those ties has been... patchy to say at least, but practical substitutes have been few and far between.)

I think you guys are over thinking this. I'm fairly sure the author was just using the arranged marriage trope as a convenient way to create forbidden love sub plots. I don't think the author even gave, the social economic reasons behind arranged marriages, in an all women world, a single thought. Then again, I could be wrong. The author apparently came up with a surprisingly elaborate back story, for this world. Maybe the reasons, for the arranged marriages, come out during the story.

last edited at May 16, 2018 4:10PM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

I was not expecting arranged marriage to show up in this manga. Maybe I should've.

Nice to see some remanents, of the old patriarchy, still survive.

Also, it really does seem like the story is heading toward an Aoi x Kohane ending at this point, but it's got a lot of work ahead of it to get there from here.

Man even in yuri, the bad boy(girl) trope, where the broken one gets the girl, is a thing. CURSE YOU BAD BOY TROPE!!! We have got to stop encouraging girls, to try and save emotionally damaged hot guys, with their love.

last edited at May 15, 2018 10:48PM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

It seemed more like sexual assault and verbal abuse to me, not rape. I don't think Aoi really tried to impregnate or deflower her. Felt more like a crude power play to intimidate Kohane. Maybe the garden or something different in this school is messing with their brains. :o The author already hints that something might be off.

I know people get triggered easily, but still...As someone who knows victims and almost got thrown into something nasty myself, I'd like it if people would think before they throw the word "rape" around.

Oh, so it was only a sexual assault, to assert dominance. That's totally different from rape. Man we were totally over reacting.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

A world of all women, has great potential. It's a one stop shop for uplifting yuri friendships, and passionate yuri romance.
With that said. I find it uncomfortable, how casual, a lot of manga take sexual assault. I don't want to be "that guy", but I can't help thinking the japanese have an unhealthy idea that rape is no big deal.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Man, Hishikawa is a complete perv. She sure makes it hard to root for her. What's the big deal with seeing a girl's underwear, anyway?

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

I thought this was going to be a straight forward, cute piece, It's shaping up to be a surprisingly complicated, and slightly dark story, though.

I'm liking the post gender apocalypse anatomy lessons. Even if they are a tad heavy handed. I especially liked Kohane accidentally opening her anatomy book, during her history lesson. That was cute.
So many stories, with women only worlds, leave reproduction an abstract concept. It's nice to see a more clinical approach, for a change. I'm a nerd at heart, after all.
The only thing I didn't like, was the fact that size determines who gets pregnant. It allows a pseudo male/female dynamic, to develop within the relationship. Plus it reminds my of spiders. I would have preferred, if who got pregnant was based on which girl was fertile at the time. Maybe making it possible for both girls to get pregnant at the same time.

joined Sep 1, 2017

It would be annoying to have a string tied to my finger for the rest of my life.

joined Sep 1, 2017

This story is right on the border, between cute and creepy. Seriously, I feel like I might end up on some government watched list, just reading it.

joined Sep 1, 2017

The couple who were in the real-life manga about being married and having a child eventually divorced. So, at some point, Japanese yuri will also have divorce themes.

spoiler please

I was greatly sadden whe I read about that break up. It was a blow to my faith in yuri love.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I read a pair of books, by A. E. Dooland. They where about an Asian living in Australia, She was an artist working for a soul crushing corporation, and dating very nice guy, that she really didn't love, just to make her mother back in South Korea happy. By the end the main character, finally told her mother I love you, but my life is my life.

joined Sep 1, 2017

This kinda hits a bit close to home.

My parents weren't as extreme as Machi's are (although there are actually some who are like that) but there was always that extreme pressure to be the best at anything. And even when you're the best in your class, they'll find someone to compare you. That line about not getting the 10 points so you'd have a perfect score? Heard it a million times. It's exhausting and it builds up within you because they're your parents and you can't lash out.

So when adulthood comes, there's your chance at freedom.

I don't get it. If Machi wanted her parents to back off, so much that she would risk alienating them, why wouldn't she just tell them back the foxtrot-uniform-charlie-kilo off?

Oh you sweet summer child. I'm sure that was what Machi originally wanted, but that's just not as easy for those living in Asian countries. You don't actually get to be free when you're 18. They're your family and they will always poke their noses in your business, especially about marriage. And the culture is going to lynch you if you abandon them.

Even though Machi said she doesn't want to be bothered, it's not really something you can just shake off one day miraculously. It's the pressure. The expectations. The hellish idea that someone is trying to control your life (or not, I may just be projecting here). Anyway, that was the vibe I got from Machi's nightmare. Does Hana also have these expectations from her? Where is it going to lead? What's going to happen when she can't give those things to her? Is she going to be indebted to Hana because she might save her from her family?

I started to dislike Machi, when I found out, she already shot poor Hana down. It's just cruel to put Hana in that situation. Even if it was Hana's idea. Hana is obviously hoping something is going to happen, and her heart will be broken all over again when it doesn't.

I really disagree with this. It felt more like Hana steamrolled into Machi's life like this. Hana might be the one foolishly building this fantasy and just dragging Machi along with her during a time when Machi is dealing with something big. The whole premise of Hana makes me feel like she's someone who's taking advantage of the situation. I know it's hard to see a lesbian not get her happy ending, but putting all the blame on Machi isn't really fair.

WELL. That's gotta be my longest Dynasty post though I'm not surprised it was this artist that brought it out in me.

Yes Hana is pushing this. That's one of the warning signs, that Machi should turn her down. If someone keeps asking to "hang out" with you after you tell them you're not interested, then one day you suddenly decide to accept their invitation, they'll get the wrong idea. Even if you make it clear, THIS IS NOT A DATE, they will see an open door to more. That's lonely person 101.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 12:08AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

I don't get it. If Machi wanted her parents to back off, so much that she would risk alienating them, why wouldn't she just tell them back the foxtrot-uniform-charlie-kilo off? It would have the same effect, without the emotional dangers of leading the poor lesbian on.
I started to dislike Machi, when I found out, she already shot poor Hana down. It's just cruel to put Hana in that situation. Even if it was Hana's idea. Hana is obviously hoping something is going to happen, and her heart will be broken all over again when it doesn't.

johnb
Summer Fuse discussion 27 Apr 15:18
joined Sep 1, 2017

personally i don't think there's really enough story to show what their relationship is like to determine if how he was acting was douchy or not. the only things to go on are how they author decided to make the clerk react to it. And you also have to think about the fact that this is japanese, who are notorious for shyness of public display of affection, mainly between boys and girls. then there's also so far of what we know the girl's personality to be like. She honestly doesn't seem like, from what we saw, the type of person for friends to make those kinds of jokes with. and tbh it didn't really sound like he was joking anyways. It sounded like this was not the first time this has happened and he thought he was giving her advice. How touchy feely he was seemed a bit odd to me, but then again all his reactions didn't seem like it was done out of a romantic interest either. so it's just back down to not really enough information to judge. i just like the fact that both friends apparently know she's into girls, and are still her friend anyways.

That seems like a fair assessment.

johnb
Summer Fuse discussion 27 Apr 14:20
joined Sep 1, 2017

when I read those "bruh stop going after girlz" lines my reaction was "stop being such a shitty person to the gay girl, creepy bastard!" then the older girl went and "yo hands off ma gerl dud" and me be like "oh, that works too! Way to go, older lady!"

ikr, it was too much even for a joke. I was like, the Heck dude! mind ur own business

when I read those "bruh stop going after girlz" lines my reaction was "stop being such a shitty person to the gay girl, creepy bastard!" then the older girl went and "yo hands off ma gerl dud" and me be like "oh, that works too! Way to go, older lady!"

i'm so descriptive

Oh come on, guys like that are the real best friend. They will insult you (and your ancestors) when ever they have a chance, but in the hard time, they are the one who support you the most.
In this case, the guy was just an air head and teases the black hair girl. Like my friends teasing each other "Bro you will never get a wife, become a gay already"

No, there is a big difference between having a "brutally" honest friend and knowing someone who is insensitive and disrespectful. Teasing is one thing, but his attitude and hands-on approach was controlling and forceful -- that's no friend and the story calls out his wrongful behavior. The girl's male "friend" may have good intentions, but he basically tells her to change her interests, of which he doesn't take seriously, and just date men as otherwise she won't find her own happiness.

As for your friend's comment, he's marginalizing homosexuality as if it is some consolation prize. I understand your argument and offcolor comments between friends can certainly be just a quirk in the friendship. However, most people really don't like jerks. I don't and have always found guys like that obnoxious. I especially dislike guys who feel they have some right to just touch you whenever they want to.

Look, how people interact with their friends is a personal thing. What I say and do with one of my friends, I would never do with another. You got to know your audience. Maybe that girl and that boy had that kind of friendship. She never seemed bothered by it.
As for the slightly anti-gay attitude, the boy has. I'm handicapped and I need a wheelchair My friend make jokes all the time about it. I don't care, because I know they're joking, and they don't mean anything by it. I also know that if I need help they would be there for me. So passing judgement on the boy without knowing what kind of friend he truly is, isn't fair.

last edited at Apr 27, 2018 3:21PM

johnb
Summer Fuse discussion 27 Apr 02:58
joined Sep 1, 2017

ikr, it was too much even for a joke. I was like, the Heck dude! mind ur own business

i'm so descriptive

Oh come on, guys like that are the real best friend. They will insult you (and your ancestors) when ever they have a chance, but in the hard time, they are the one who support you the most.
In this case, the guy was just an air head and teases the black hair girl. Like my friends teasing each other "Bro you will never get a wife, become a gay already"

It comes off as being insensitive to gay people to tell them to just stick to being straight, even as a joke, because there are many people who will say the same thing but in a hateful way.

For example, my mother says I should try out being with men whenever she sees me broken hearted, and while she has good intentions, it also means to me that she doesn't quite believe that I can only like women and sees being gay as a phase. And it's upsetting despite what tone she says these types of things in.

Saying horrible, incentive stuff, to your close friends, is a guy thing. One time, my mother over heard me talking, with my friends. She was appalled by what she heard. Afterwards, she asked me do you guys even like each other?