Forum › Posts by Thor

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Spiderveins don't make you look older though. They are, in fact, something that happens but I know a lot of people with spiderveins who look 10 years younger than their age. Sure the insides of your wrists and the backs of your feet and hands will look worn, but the face will have virtually no effects. Effectively what you've narrowed it down to is "it dries your skin", and while this is true, the actual amount of dryness is significantly lower than, say, staying outside in the sun for longer than an hour. It's not enough to be considered a real factor because literally rubbing lotion on even once a day will more than take care of any damage that causes.

Fair enough.

Heavy drinking is totally different than what I was getting at, because any substance in excess screws with multiple parts of your body. Shoot, there is research that proves that drinking milk in excess makes people over 500% more likely to develop bad acne, even without genetic influence. I didn't get an "alcoholic" vibe from the character (especially because she holds her liquor terribly which means she consumes vastly less alcohol to get to that state), but honestly she totally could be; in which case my entire argument is debunked. But all you have to do is literally use a good product like CeraVe or Aveeno right before you go to bed every day and research has shown phenomenally impressive retention of "young, healthy skin".

And like I said, she's been drinking deeply and regularly enough that she has a reputation for her drunken behavior.

And when you combine even moderately heavy drinking with smoking with a diet of coffee and sandwiches and probably not much exercise outside of carnal activity, then you have a recipe for ageing fast and hard.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

So she looks younger than her 34 years and she's a smoker?

Sorry, biology does not work like that. Smoking prematurely ages the skin. She'd be lucky if she only looks 34 instead of older. Oh, and excessive alcohol consumption also accelerates the aging of skin, so she should really look like an old shoe by now.

Depends on the person and how long they smoked. I'm older than she is, I drank quite a lot in my 20s, and smoked some as well and people still think I'm in my 20s.

Well drinking doesn't affect outward looking age, and smoking "some" won't do it that bad. Plus if you're Asian and you
take care of your skin you automatically get like -10 to 15 depending on your looking age.

Drinking absolutely affects your outward-looking age. Alcohol causes the capillaries to expand, leading to spiderwebs of enlarged blood vessels nearer to the surface of the skin. Drinking dehydrates the skin, leading to deepening of existing wrinkles and general skin dryness. And heavy drinkers are chronically low in Vitamin A, which is necessary for the production of elastin and collagen--the two substances that provide shape and structure for your skin and keep it from sagging.

If you do not regularly drink to stumbling inebriation, and if you be sure to drink plenty of water in your drinks or in addition to them, the damage is likely to be minimal. But the character in the story is a heavy enough and regular enough drinker to be notorious for her overconsumption and drunken habits. This adds the possibility of liver damage, which decreases the body's ability to remove toxins, which damage every organ in the body, including the largest organ, the skin.

And the supposed Asian youth effect doesn't help much if everyone else is also Asian. I guarantee you that Asian people in Asian societies can tell the difference between an Asian 35yo and an Asian 25yo as easily as Caucasian people in Caucasian societies can tell the difference between an Caucasian 35yo and an Caucasian 25yo.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

So she looks younger than her 34 years and she's a smoker?

Sorry, biology does not work like that. Smoking prematurely ages the skin. She'd be lucky if she only looks 34 instead of older. Oh, and excessive alcohol consumption also accelerates the aging of skin, so she should really look like an old shoe by now.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

I think I will now make an appointment with my dentist...

it was too sweet!

now I have cavities

You're lucky. That gave me diabetes.