Forum › Posts by Ultraxion

joined Mar 15, 2015

Why is this volume so short? It makes me think the next one is the final one, which would suck if it's true

I think it's more that the chapters in this volume have longer pages.

That can happen sometimes. The last volume of Fullmetal Alchemist only has the final two chapters, but since they're long ones(the end of the final battle and the denouement), it isn't any shorter than the other 26 volumes.

joined Mar 15, 2015

That cooking assistant is so sus.

I agree, especially considering the introduction panels, which almost seemed to imply she was someone we'd seen alone. The fact that she's currently with Hinako is also potentially troubling, and I suspect that Ayame will make her move when they're alone.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm no expert on law enforcement or solving crimes, but Yashiro and Koga seemed relatively orthodox in their approach to the job, at least by the standards of fictional detectives.

I'm looking forward to the last two chapters. We're probably past the climax of the series, but the last chapters may resolve some of the unanswered questions.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

yeah, the moment I saw her sitting at that train station I knew what was going to happen. The author even cleverly put a fence in between Tokiko and the detective so he couldn't actually save her even if he noticed in time.

But yeah, once everyone around her died, she became truly free from obligations and in her case on of those obligations was living wasn't it. Sucks but this certainly is a tragedy centered around death.

True. I revised my prediction the moment I saw Tokiko at the train station, separated from Koga by a fence.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I was personally expecting Tokiko to die at some point, but was personally expecting it to happen in the last or second to last chapter, not with two chapters to go. Then again, maybe the final chapter's an epilogue of some sort.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Eh, I don't think anything will happen. Shiina got into a bad mindset and if there was to be any actual assault aside from desperate "pindown" it would happen now, and not have a "cliffhanger" of this sort.
While of course, this isn't good, I gotta say this is a really neat story. To show how society can pressure you into certain things that affect you even when you're "Not entirely" as the society would like you to be. However odd that phrasing sounds. Even if you just look at it from an age gap perspective, worrying over those things isn't that odd. Although, as I said before, I think there's a lot more pressure on poor Shiina. While it doesn't make what she's doing justifiable, I still don't think it'll be an actual assault.
Also, I just noticed but this scene here is how this entire manga started huh.

And I have to say that after that last scene, the trivia page seemed a bit comical in terms of timing. "Anyway, that sexual assault attempt aside, here's some trivia about this place they had their first date."

I actually once thought that the first scene was from the time when Shiina was drunk, but if you look closely, she's not wearing the same clothes as when she went out to the bar.

I also appreciate how the manga goes into how Shiina feels pressured to get into a relationship, and to a lesser extent, how her sense of inadequacy is worsened by how Takagi, a woman 10 years her junior, seems to be better at her job. The final chapter seems to indicate that while Shiina's a bit sad that she and Takagai can't get married, she's more at ease about her current state. Besides, the fact that she and Takagai catch the bouquet indicate that they might get married soon.

In all fairness to Shiina, while she is desperate, I don't think she'd go so far as to even attempt sexual assault. Once she comes to her senses, she's overwhelmed with remorse.

As for the trivia, that's one reason why the date and the meeting with Takagai's ex should have been in a separate chapter, and then there could have been a half-chapter worth of buildup before this cliffhanger.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Well I cant say it isnt realistic but I seriously wasnt expecting rape. Like what the hell?

It's not rape. Takagai firmly says no, and Shiina comes to her senses and apologizes, but things are awkward between them for the next chapter and a half.

If you're curious as to what happens and can't wait for the scanlators to upload Chapter 5, check out Renta. The chapter preview for Chapter 5 shows the resolution to this cliffhanger, but not to Takagai and Shiina's relationship problems.

last edited at Jun 14, 2022 10:33AM

joined Mar 15, 2015

This is one of those times when it's clear that the manga would have been better off if it had been a longer series.

Takagai's ex is a potentially interesting character, so it's a shame that we don't know more about their relationship, why they broke up and why they're still on good terms.

As for Shiina's desperation causing her to push things forward too quickly, it would have been better if the story built that up over the course of a few chapters, showing her gradually becoming more impatient until she hits her breaking point.

Without spoiling anything, the denouement of the series is also a bit rushed, since the climax is in Chapter 6, and once it' resolved, there's only one scene left to wrap it up.

I like this series, but it would have been significantly better with enough time for buildup and payoff.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I like the character bios. They actually shed light on the cast without telling literally everything about them, and have some interesting points about the character designs.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Puppylove

Shouldn't there be an incest tag?

joined Mar 15, 2015

This author seems to be a firm believer of telling us but not showing us.

Agreed. One of my pet peeves is manga in which most of the details about character come from the character biographies, rather than in the story.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I wonder if she's claiming responsibility for Takahito and Ayako's son Ayato's death. It's brought up in passing, but surprisingly, the Kurosus don't really mention it, so maybe there's more to the story.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/walk_to_death_ch02#11

Speaking of family, I'm curious as to why Tokimune was the one who adopted Tokiko, considering that Tokiko's about as old as her older siblings' children.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I personally think this should have gone on longer than a few pages. It might have been nice to have been shown the information from the characters' biographies in the story rather than told about it in two paragraphs at the end.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Maybe it's just me, but not naming the senpai or the relationship doesn't seem to work as well now that the series has gone this long and there are additional characters coming into play. This sort of thing works well enough in a one-shot, but it's more difficult to pull off well in a longer series, especially since what characters call each other can say a lot about their relationship.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm personally curious as to how these two know each other. Usually, age gap works have a sentence or two describing how two people from different age groups get together, but while Miu and Yuki seem to be, at minimum, friends at the start of the story, we don't know much about their relationship.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I could have sworn that I saw this before, but judging from the Duplicate tag, it's not just my imagination.

This is another one-shot that's a nice enough read but doesn't really go anywhere.

last edited at May 31, 2022 4:44PM

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Out of curiosity, how many more chapters are left in this series, and is it still ongoing?

I don't know the number of chapters specifically, but Volume 13 is the final volume and we just finished volume 9.

Thanks, that answers my question. It seems as though we have 30-36 chapters left, by my estimation.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I read through the series over the past few days and enjoyed it. I liked the slice of life aspect of the series, as well as the chapters that gradually flesh out Miss Sunflower's backstory.

Out of curiosity, how many more chapters are left in this series, and is it still ongoing?

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm a bit surprised that Chaiquan's more worried about her and Cangshu having to rub each other's chests to switch than about the possibility of the switch being permanent.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I personally hope that they won't drag out the reveal that the customer is the gyaru's classmates too long, and that once they make the reveal, they won't end the story almost immediately. Some of these stories that run on misunderstandings only last as long as the misunderstandings do, and I hope there's more to the story than waiting until the penny drops.

joined Mar 15, 2015

It's good to see knight heron continuing to scanlate this series. I enjoy seeing their work, and like seeing how this translation compares to Renta's; in particular, I wonder if Shiina and Takagai ever start using first names on each other.

For those who are interested and don't mind spoilers, the bad thing happens at the end of the next chapter and most of the final two chapters are spent resolving the problem. Part of the problem with romance series this short is that while they don't get bogged down with angst or "will they or won't they," they don't have enough time to let relationships develop organically.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'll be a bit harsher than previous commenters - the translation is pretty bad, sorry about that but this is my opinion after reading it. I don't buy that the lack of a proofreader is the reason, this feels like the whole sentences would have to be rewritten so things make sense.

I agree, since I noticed that there's two . One problem I'd like to point out is the inconsistency; "sensei" when used standalone is translated as "teacher," but it's translated as an honorific when used on the teachers' names.

This is one of those teacher-student romance stories in which I'm more rooting for the two teachers to get together than I am for the teacher and the student.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Oh, I love this manga. And very wholesome. I love wholesome-ness in my manga. And yeah, their clothes are different from the first page of chapter 1 and 2. Continuation error, perhaps?

The first page is a flash forward to the end of Chapter 4, not a flashback to the time Takagai found Shiina when the latter was drunk. I was a little confused, too, but if you look at the preview for the start of Chapter 5, you'll see that Shiina has the same flower-patterned dress as she does in the start of the series.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
96609402_p0

^^ Volume 7 is coming out in June, and it seems rather interesting. The English-speaking fandom will probably be able to test your theory by the end of the year.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Hitsujiniku_12-1510449776101564416-img1

Nice; we hardly ever see fanart for this series.