Forum › Posts by TB

TB
Anime season 31 Jan 14:36
joined Jan 21, 2015

Positive reviews got me curious so I watched more of 22/7 and actually found it really compelling. I don't even mind Miu's voice. So if anyone was on the fence after the first episode, I recommend giving the show another try.
The only thing I'm unsure of is the yuri shipping. The OP and several scenes appear to set up Miu with Sakura, but on the official poster she's reaching towards Nicole and they look like they'll have the expected arc about warming up to each other. If this ends up in a triangle and ship wars, I'll be annoyed. Hell, for all I know the group's fandom is already torn on the subject. I'd like to know more if anyone has knowledge of the sketches/other non-anime material.

I also watched a bit of number24 because comments said it was about gay rugby, but I was disappointed on that front. While there's a bit of fanservice, overall the boys aren't interested in each other that way (for now). It's still a good sports anime though and I'm looking forward to more. For slightly gayer rugby, I suggest All Out instead.

TB
Anime season 13 Jan 08:44
joined Jan 21, 2015

22/7 has some supernatural elements, but at its core it feels like it's going to be an idol drama. I don't know if it's going to be a good one, but it's not going to be a show for me either way. Might check back later if I hear about yuri developments or if it turns out to be incredible or something.

TB
Slow Start discussion 06 Jan 10:50
joined Jan 21, 2015

Nishimura is a cross-dresser according to Tokumi on Twitter. Someone asked her a while ago, as the anime was airing I think. Cannot be arsed to go back and look for the exact source, sorry. Seeing as said anime had the character voiced by a woman though, I think everyone can feel free to interpret their identity however they want.

TB
Anime season 04 Jan 05:10
joined Jan 21, 2015

Sometimes I wonder what the border here is for people to consider something yuri instead of subtext?

I think it has more to do with precedent than with the show's content. I had the thought that it's gay and cute, but since it's a Kirara series I should get rid of expectations that it will go anywhere. Even a Kirara anime that appears to sell itself as a yuri romance is still a Kirara anime. Maybe it will be an exception like Sakura Trick, I'd like to be proven wrong.

I do wonder where that border is for myself, though. Can't answer that.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Thank you Autumn and Cryssoberyl for the spoilers. Yeah, definitely not catching up on that one. Insert that "I expect nothing, yet I'm still let down" gif here.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Fairy Gone:

Our heroines are together now. :)

Okay, but did the show end up pairing the two leads together? I watched it for a while, but the hints of het made me give up.

TB
Image Comments 17 Dec 05:46
joined Jan 21, 2015
Spzyqqy

@Beefaroni
I actually don't recommend the anime; the animation is minimalist, the character designs are terrifying, and it skips over some important character development. The OVA (which is anime-original) is good though.
And the manga is a lot gayer than I expected when I started watching the anime. It's also just very good as a 4koma manga in general (which isn't saying much, I get it, but it definitely stands out from the crowd).

TB
Anime season 17 Dec 05:41
joined Jan 21, 2015

Going by the series' page here, the fandom has not, in fact, decided on which ships it likes

Well damn.

TB
Anime season 17 Dec 03:55
joined Jan 21, 2015

Sunshine S2 was by far my favorite part of the franchise, so I'm curious about how they'll do something different with a third group. If the two previous groups are anything to go by, the manga adaptation at least should be extremely gay.

And with the time between the group launch and the anime, the fandom must have had ample time to decide which ships they liked. Hopefully that means no sudden pairing switches like in Sunshine, that was terrible.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I requested an Aaaaaangst tag for this chapter because it seemed appropriate, but it looks like it didn't go through. Ah well.

Probably the heaviest chapter yet, and somehow I'm not annoyed? I might even prefer dramatic chapters/arcs to the comedic ones. In fact, I think cloba.U thrives when he's making his characters suffer. Dude loves his angst.

I wonder if it's time to request a subtext tag? Tamaki gets enough teasing with her revolving door of pseudo-love interests to warrant it, I think.

Wow, that's harsh. I was kinda sympathetic with Kanade before, but it seems to me now that she is actively projecting her own insecurity onto Kayo. She didn't make it as a musician (and gave up on it), and now she believes that she somehow mind-controlled Kayo into practicing her own musical talent.

I hadn't thought about it that way. I think Kayo is an asshole teenager (love the kid, but she's got her head up her own ass sometimes) who belligerently refused to deal with the fact that her sister's love for music isn't as deep as her own, but you're probavly right, Kanade doesn't have a very adult way of dealing with the situation despite being older.

TB
Slow Start discussion 06 Oct 05:44
joined Jan 21, 2015

Since we're apparently debating ships now, I'm going to add my two cents no one asked for.

Eiko and Kamu are cute, sure. I can see why people like them. They're also typical Kirara fare–chaste, harmless and 100% never going anywhere. At least that's the feeling I get from them, feel free to disagree. People who have read enough Kirara series know what to expect from them yuri-wise: one-sided crushes, occasionally more serious subtext that gets played for laughs or forgotten, but with the odd exception like Sakura Trick or shorter manga, Kirara yuri rarely becomes canon.

Once in a while though, a series comes along that does things differently, and I like monitoring them. Slow Start is one of those. Eiko and Enami's relationship is wildly inappropriate and obviously Enami's behavior can be off-putting, but when you look at where they started there is a clear sense of progress. The first-name basis (when they're alone), the teasing, the touching. For once I get the impression that it's actually going somewhere. I don't feel like I'm being treated like some thirsty yuri-obsessed fan who will be happy with scraps and fanservice.

Now I'm not expecting them to actually get together. But I'll be legitimately surprised (and disappointed) if they don't get a scene before the end where they have a serious and honest discussion about their relationship. It's come to the point where I think it's something we can reasonably hope for. I believe that at some point, a long-running Kirara series will have its obvious subtext turn into actual romance. I just don't know which one it will be. Slow Start has surprised me before, so who knows?

joined Jan 21, 2015

Played Empathy: Path of Whispers and it had surprise lesbians with a role that was more important than I expected. It's about the collapse of society, so definitely not a feel-good game. Unfortunately, the ending is vague (and confusing in some parts) and we don't find out what happened to any of the characters, including the lesbians. Presumably both of them are still alive, but they were separated during a riot and their daughter is dead. I'd still recommend it to people who like games where you walk around and find out what happened like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Dear Esther.

joined Jan 21, 2015

The Aya/Shii scenes are always a pleasure to read.

A couple years ago I bought a doujin for this series with the premise that two characters paired up for a side project and shippy stuff ensued. At the time I thought, this would never happen in canon. Especially with Tamaki; she needs a revolving door of characters to have subtext with. And then the actual manga went and did this. Is this where the ship wars start?

TB
Yuri author avatars? 13 Jul 05:47
joined Jan 21, 2015

^ Checked a bunch of online stores (Amazon, Mangaoh, Honto and Melonbooks). The third volume (and that one only) is indeed out of print. That sucks.

I'd recommend getting the ebook version instead, if you can.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Sayaka LN is getting licensed. Vol 1 is set for Feb 2020. https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1147335322985992193?s=19

That is fantastic news. Can't wait for February.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Shii makes an amazing face on the first page.

The anime OVA takes place after this arc, and I highly recommend it. It has nice banter and character moments, and it features possibly one of the most chill coming out scenes ever.

joined Jan 21, 2015

This bonus arc is one of my favorite parts of the manga. It's moving, full of character development, and also sometimes funny, like the sequence on the left side of this page.
Teru is a fascinating character and more focus on her is always welcome.

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ It's ending next month, but yeah, volume 7 will be the last. It's had a good run, I think.

For her next manga, if Harikamo stays at Houbunsha I'd like her to revive that short-lived series that ran in the defunct Manga Time Kirara Carino. There was a lot you could do with its His Dark Materials-esque premise.

TB
Saki discussion 08 May 12:44
joined Jan 21, 2015

So that's what it was. Thanks for the screenshot! This is one of the most obvious things she could have said about the Saki universe, like seriously no one is going to be surprised, but I'm still glad she said it if that makes sense?

TB
Saki discussion 08 May 11:58
joined Jan 21, 2015

From 4chan

Ritz's blog updated
more than half characters are gay
20% of them are bi
more than half characters are iPS babies
gay marriage is legal

Heh. I wanted to check the source, but all I get is a 503 error. Oh well.

TB
Slow Start discussion 03 May 05:25
joined Jan 21, 2015

What a great fucking chapter.

People used to reading Kirara 4koma may know that the magazine color pages almost never make it to the tankoubon release and we get ugly grey tones instead, but Tokumi-sensei actually got Houbunsha to keep the color pages for this chapter! That's pretty cool. That dream deserved the full-color treatment.
Very interested in seeing where this relationship goes.

TB
Anime season 03 May 05:17
joined Jan 21, 2015

Speaking of original anime that might turn out yuri, Fairy Gone's emotional core looks like it'll be the relationship between two girls

But then PA works lost control of the edge and the show is even worse than expected? Judging from the lack of replies and the MAL score.

I'm still enjoying it, but it's not exactly blowing my mind so far. And it's two-cour, so it has plenty of time to fall apart. I'd call it competent I guess?
I plan to keep watching until they start pushing the romance angle between the two leads because [snore]. Definitely not expecting anything yuri to happen at this point.

In other news, Strike Witches finally remembered Yoshika's love for boobs. Shame the main entries completely erased that side of her character.

TB
Anime season 17 Apr 08:44
joined Jan 21, 2015

4th episode of Shigofumi, which revolves around lesbian couple

Oh, that's a throwback. I remember being surprised by the yuri episode back when it aired. It's funny though, in my memories the girls were confirmed to be a couple. Weird how the brain plays tricks on you. Just goes to show how close to explicit their relationship was. In any case, Shigofumi was a pretty good show.

In case anyone was wondering, the girls' baseball anime Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine doesn't appear to have the self-insert from the game. There is a female teacher who helps the girls with some things, so without knowledge of the source material it feels like she may have replaced the game's protagonist. Other than her, the girls are on their own.

TB
Image Comments 16 Apr 10:14
joined Jan 21, 2015
Diijw79vaaah6is

I love these two and I wish they had more subtext. It should be criminal to come up with such a great pair and then not do anything with it >:(