Forum › Posts by kiriactor

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

It's really amazing how well Takemiya can juggle between angst and fluff in her stories...

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Ah, how cute... Also, I understand why the ecchi tag is there, but it just doesn't feel like ecchi to me.

kiriactor
Vespa discussion 03 Aug 22:34
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I had to take a minute before reading this because I was laughing hard at the warning note.

LOL! same here...

Yeah, I don't think we're that bad... lol

Also, I couldn't help thinking that the princess must've broken her thumb, holding it inside her fist while punching the queen so hard...

Also, the "like a bee" just seemed dropped in there to me. It's probably supposed to link to the title, but to be honest I still have no idea about why it's named "Vespa".

last edited at Aug 3, 2014 10:36PM

kiriactor
Newb Tips 01 Aug 03:02
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Not sure about the image thing, but to favourite anything ranging from a chapter/one-shot to a series, author, or tag, go to that page (for chapters/one-shots do this while reading it) and look to your username in the top right corner. Click on the bulletpoint list icon just to the left of it; a menu letting you add the thing to various lists, including your favourites, should drop down. To access your favourites, click on the "Lists" button in the menu bar.

I think it's different if you're using the mobile version, though.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

And looking at it again, ari-chan is probably right about the main target being Chinese sites - it looks like all the manga sites they've requested to take down series are mainly used by Chinese speakers.

And whoever did that list doesn't know what the hell is talking about, MangaTraders is among the first targets and the site went down by hackers more than a month ago. I wouldn't be surprise if they only looked by manga sites on google and called a day.

That's not at all surprising, yeah. What a sloppy job.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

How much of the manga and anime that is fan-translated or fan-subbed is even available for purchase with professional work done on them outside of Japan anyway?? Without the hard work of those people, I would have never bought some manga or anime series if hadn't been for them. I've also wondered if the overseas popularity of some shows and series outside of Japan happened in no small part to these groups of people who made them available for viewing outside of Japan. Does anyone know anything related to that??

I don't know about any statistics, but I'm sure that a huge part of the non-Japanese fandom - especially the Western section, since I believe that China and Taiwan do quite a bit of localisation work manga-wise at least - developed their interest in anime and manga through the work of fansubbers and scanlators. I am the same myself; if not for the work of those people, I would not be spending money importing stuff from Japan. Official localisations are just too slow, inaccurate, low-quality or plain nonexistent to allow a really large overseas fandom to flourish.

Isn't there a law that states that media may be shared for educational purposes so long as one does not gain profit for another's copywriten work? (I remember seeing it on YouTube before...)

I believe that's American law and therefore irrelevant to Japanese matters. Not to mention whether it's valid even in America is doubtful... I suspect that it doesn't actually change anything - if the creator demands something to be taken down, it will be.

Also, for those concerned about whether Dynasty will be directly affected by the anti-piracy campaign, it's not one of the main targets (see pg.11-21) so I doubt anything will happen even if the Japanese government is serious about trying to push it through. They have enough on their hands as is. Thank goodness that Dynasty's a pretty small site in comparison...

last edited at Aug 1, 2014 2:43AM

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

p.s. Can anybody tell me how to put link another page without actually posting the link in full? It's sort of ugly but I don't know how to fix it.

Just quote my post and you can see how it's set up that way.

Got it, thanks!

Just looked it up to see how the series is progressing (as opposed to the scanlations) and it seems like the last chapter came out a couple of days ago: https://twitter.com/himawari_shobo/status/492883970430746626. I really hope that Matsuri and Himawari-san get some closure! ><

Perhaps it's my twitter incompetence, or maybe my Japanese is failing me - as it usually does - but that tweet reads about the same as her usual monthly release tweet, doesn't it? I don't see anything declaring it over.

Sorry, you're absolutely right - in my haste about all sorts of things ending I misread 最新話 as 最終話. A pretty big mistake to make! I've deleted the post to avoid misleading unsuspecting souls.

kiriactor
Vespa discussion 31 Jul 05:52
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Is it just me who got misled by the name of the series and thought it would be about girls and scooters, sort of like Girl's Ride?

Also, uniformmmsssss... drools

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I love me a charismatic Remi~ Even if she was a bit fail at the end. XD

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Glad to hear that Kase-san will be continuing... But I'm worried about Under One Roof; it's a bit of a favourite of mine for being different to the other series in atmosphere, style etc. and I'd really like to see the story unfold properly.

Yuri Hime and the newly founded Mebae are the only yuri magazines to speak of.

Unfortunately, a bit of Googling yielded this: http://www.comiczin.jp/info/comic/index.cgi?no=3448. It makes it very clear that the magazine is intended for a male demographic, and judging by the pictures on the page it's mostly ecchi/hentai that does not treat the female characters respectfully, a far cry from Hirari's generally more shoujo stuff. Even if it's yuri it doesn't look like the sort of thing I'd want to read. I guess there's nothing for it but to continue supporting Yuri Hime and yuri doujin...

kiriactor
Steps ch02 discussion 31 Jul 04:42
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Ahaha, that was so cute... and an unusual (but not unwelcome) offering from Takemiya Jin!

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Both ANN and Seventh Style have said that the latest volume of Hirari is also its last, which is a terrible shame. Rest in peace!

On a side note, Seventh Style also made this comment:

As anime is today, there’s no need for the specialty magazine, since picking up a copy of Dengeki Whatever, Nyantype, or Megami, will already be bloated with yuri suggestive imagery all from series not officially of the category. ...
This might have been part of the plan of these mega publishers like Kadokawa, by integrating these specialty themes, they manage to take market share from the masses without ever seeming to do anything out of the ordinary. Assuming that’s the case, it’s certainly working, and the monopoly seems set to continue.

...which doesn't make me happy at all, since series that aren't specifically marketed as yuri tend to only tease it since portraying characters' feelings or relationships as being romantic, whether by showing them in bed together (cough Psycho-Pass cough) or by more subtle means, might elicit a negative reaction from more homophobic parts of their audience. So if yuri is eliminated as a genre, then the amount of series where relationships between two female characters is explicitly romantic rather than left ambiguous is likely to decline greatly. Which, as I stated earlier, doesn't make me happy at all.

That being said, I mostly think of Seventh Style as the site where the writers' attempts at "analysing" images or illustrations which were never meant for such close scrutiny reflect poorly on their taste and judgement, so what they say should probably taken with a grain of salt despite sounding fairly reasonable.

Any thoughts?

Links:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-30/shinshokan-yuri-manga-magazine-hirari-ends-publication/.77123
http://seventhstyle.com/2014/07/29/hirari-yuri-magazine-goes-defunct/

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I'm not quite sure how this went from Marisa being shy about kissing Reimu to the two of them doing it happily... But I guess the little details don't matter. XD

I really wanna read touhou project yuri but I have know idea how to get into this series.

I myself read up on the different games' storylines on the wiki as well as trying a hand at one or two of them before actually getting into the doujin. After that, you can get always get to know the other characters through doujin or by looking them up.

Im just going to imagine that sakuya showed her a book on how to do that..........or did it with remila in front of marisa..........i prefer option 2

Option 3 is Marisa broke through the window while Sakuya was doing it with Remilia.

Obviously the most likely.

Agreed. ^^

last edited at Jul 21, 2014 11:06PM

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Wonder how many times I've re-read this... It's a wonderful doujin, one of my favourites even though I'm not even that into EiTeru. The sense of Eirin's devotion to Kaguya is depicted really well, and the art's great too.

Actually, I watched the Ghibli film based on Kaguya's legend recently, and I couldn't stop thinking about this doujin - I liked it way better than the film... (-_-;;)

kiriactor
Snow discussion 19 Jul 06:20
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

It was so cute~~ I need more Satsuki x Nonon! Also, the last bit was hilarious - Hayashiya managed to inject some comedy into a fairly serious story after all.

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Kind of a one-sided love due to stupidity.

I like the little community of hell ravens commenting on everything.

I dunno, Utsuho was blushing a lot that last page, so I don't think she was totally oblivious to what she just did.

Actually, looking back at her expression, Utsuho probably did that to mess with Rin.

I thought so too. She's probably sharper than she appears, that Utsuho is.
Also, a pretty cute story. ^^

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I just read this, and then after a bit of research found out there are actually four chapters (incl. this one) out already, though the other three aren't scanlated, I think. Definitely would like to see more, it seems interesting.

last edited at Jul 3, 2014 2:36AM

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

May I request for the yuri tag to be removed from Konno Kita's "Cotton", since it's currently one of the fixed tags? At the end it is established that the main character is going out with a guy and the other female protagonist is entirely okay with her marrying and only wishes to stay with her platonically. Not sure whether they're really spoilers, but tagged just in case.

kiriactor
Cotton discussion 02 Jul 23:53
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I might try applying to remove the yuri tag so new readers' expectations are not disappointed... toddles off

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I agree with

Rem would have used past tense when referring to Sakuya instead of present.

and

It doesn't make sense for Sakuya to be dead if Remilia is coming in there saying "don't lay your hands on Sakuya."

I think it's fairly obvious that Sakuya's not dead, but is in a bad state, yes.

It's interesting that with this and "Lonesome", which are supposed to be FlanRemi, both establish pretty clearly that Remilia loves Sakuya, and that Flandre gets jealous of the latter for that. Emotionally, neither story is properly FlanRemi at all.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I always kinda got the feeling Minase didn't enjoy doing yuri :/ i dont know why but just some of the comments she has made about her work just felt like she didn't really like it............

What did she actually say, and where? I too thought that doujin were made to the creator's preferences, since they don't experience the sort of pressure mangaka do. Even though they make money when people buy their stuff, the profit margin is probably small and I doubt that anybody actually uses it as their main way of earning money. I think that it's much more likely that she was drawing what she really wanted to...?

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

The author did mention that he was mainly using this story as a way to work out how he himself felt about Sakuya becoming a vampire, so the sense that it doesn't go anywhere might just be a result of that.

I do think the end is well-written, though. Sakuya's lifelessness and Marisa's unchanging nature (I thought it was a nice touch how the stuff she mentioned in the first doujin was carried on here) contrast very obviously with Reimu's awareness of the transience, and thus the beauty, of each day.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

i dislike the idea of Sakuya becoming a vampire.

I have a similar stance, but it's interesting to see an exploration of her becoming one since nearly all of the doujin I've seen kind of emphasise how Remilia respects her wish to stay human. This one was pretty good, yeah.

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Man, Katou is awesome.

Seconded!

Agreed! (Thirded?)

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

The occasional random change in art style is hilarious too!