Forum › Posts by Hollows

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

The translator said that these characters have very generic names, and in terms of sounds and number of syllables that might be true. But the characters (symbols) used to represent the words are slightly different than their typical generic sounding counterparts.

For example Hua's name is not the character for "flower" (花), which has been overused as a generic female name, but instead uses the character for "illustrious" (华) which is less used and much more poetic in my opinion. Same with Ling, which doesn't use the character for "bell" (铃) like the "ling" in "Mei-ling," but instead uses the character for "spirit," (灵).

Although Ming's name is still really boring, since it uses the expected character for ming, meaning "bright" (明). One of the comments on the original website was, "Ming!! Kill him and there will be no more math problems!" Because every math problem in school would start with something like, "Ming has five apples..."

I just wanted to say this because the names did sound boring, and looking at them this way makes it so much more interesting.

That said, I also want to elaborate that class president and student councils are serious business in Chinese schools. Due to a culture that values grades and academic achievements above most other things, and due to the pressure that parents put on schools to make the curriculum more rigorous and thus competitive, one would end up with a system where a typical school day starts at 7 am and extends well until 5 to 8pm with all kinds of lessons and classes. School being a big part of one's life then, makes the class president and student council seats so much more important and lucrative. School events are thus also much more important.

Late 1990s were a crazy time, especially for less important cities in China. The "rising middle class" phenomenon has just sort-of begin, and although some people's lives improved through education and other means, so has so many people's lives been disrupted by the shift to more specialized forms of labor and service. It was the time for dreams and paradigm shifts, and the portrayal of that time here is really great. Still, most of the country was quite conservative, and it bothers me that Hua's relationship with girls are just seen as a sort of play and never taken seriously, since it seems awfully familiar to the idea of "schoolgirl lesbians." I would be disappointed if an author who could inject so much romance into that time sidestep the idea of yuri in the end, but given the context it would not be surprising.

last edited at Nov 21, 2014 2:31AM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

4 years ago I began reading this. This manga got me into reading yuri, and it was the first good yuri manga I've read. It was so good in fact, for about a month the story was stuck in my head and it meant the world to me. Reading it again, it's still really good.

Its too bad not much of Miyabi's work has been uploaded since, because it brings to his work less attention than some of the newer series posted after about 2012. Which isn't fair, because this manga is one of the best series here, and the view count is too little for a manga like this.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

It's kind of shipping the mermaid and the werewolf*, if you squint.

It is totally shipping the mermaid and the werewolf. There's simply no other explanation!

adjusts yuri glasses

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Personaly i think the only crimes this manga pulled was being to bland and generic.

I'd like to just mention this again.

Please don't argue.

last edited at May 19, 2019 2:33PM

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Orin just might be more oblivious than Okuu here.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Giant space aliens confirmed for being Yuri fans.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Yuri
-Hold hands
-Two person muffler
-Embrace
-Love-Love Umbrella
-Kiss

Lez
-Tongue kiss
-Licking
-Finger
-Intercrural Sex
-Boob sex

I might be a bit off on the last three for lez though

The last four are:

-feet licking
-finger licking
-tribadism
-symmetrical docking (boob sex)

とか=for example

And the red text:

Yuri:

-making out and mainly about atmosphere

Les:

-ero things and mainly focuses on the details of two bodies coming together

last edited at Sep 26, 2014 2:15AM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Wow, page 16. That's a rare delicacy.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not...So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. While we do have some standards to live up to, the translation certainly fell within those, and there were no obvious inaccuracies. Certainly J > E is always preferred, but there are plenty of groups even within the "pro" scanlation scene that openly advocate C > E translations. Hard for us to argue with that when there is no ready alternative.

All-in-all, there are some small spelling/grammar mistakes, but they hardly detract from an otherwise strong doujin (and translation). Thank you very much for your hard work!

I originally uploaded the work to Danbooru and soft-translated it there as I uploaded it. Of course, this means that the translations have gone through good and bad. But, such is the case when you lack control. If I had more time, or some sort of autonomy on the matter I believe the translations would have been much more smooth.

But that's not possible, because Danbooru only accepts RAWs and so the whole thing has been taken down. I had thought that would be it for the translation, but now that it's here I feel a certain degree of responsibility for this version. So if possible, the translations could indeed be much better improved.

There are actually a lot more of Yohane's works that lack Japanese RAWs, that could be translated from Chinese. If what you say is true though, and Dynasty Scans could be an outlet for C > E translations, then I can upload some myself in the future perhaps.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Going by the way titles are listed for yohane's works. I think it might as well not be translated. Since the translation will only make things more confusing.

I think the title should be changed to "Yuki Toke No Yue"

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Another great doujin from Yohane <3

Shame that the translation is kind of rough sometimes.

I never thought this would be uploaded here.

I did most of the translation, and originally it was from a hard translated Chinese version (Note: not Japanese). Mostly for fun over the summer, so that people would have something to read. I happened to really enjoy Yohane's stuff.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not. So take everything with a pinch of salt. Because no one can say for certain if it stays true to its original (again, Chinese).

Maybe all it should be is a placeholder to satisfy people's curiosity. I don't know. I was really afraid to take this translation anywhere because of that. There is a MASSIVE amount of Yohane's work in Chinese that doesn't have any RAWs, but I never figured out how people feel about translations from Chinese even when there are no alternatives from Japanese.

So, if you are wondering why we don't just use a hard translated Japanese copy. Well, the Chinese scanlators simply will not release the RAWS due to them wanting to create a market for Chinese translations.

Theoretically, since this doujin does not use any native expressions, nothing should be lost in translation from Japanese to Chinese. The languages are very interchangeable in terms of expressions and way of speech (no I don't mean grammar). So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

Lastly, I just want to say that the Title page does exist in the original form on Yohane's blog. Me and another friend couldn't make sense of the title at all (All hiragana and with weird structure that required context). So combining our understanding with the Chinese title, I got "How to Melt Icy Fates" originally. Although after awhile I thought perhaps the title could be "Frozen Fates Can Melt." Although even that could still be wrong.

EDIT: This was the title by the way. "ゆきとけのユエ"

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 9:11PM

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I am so grateful to finally read a White x Black doujin. This is the best.

last edited at Aug 31, 2014 10:24PM

Hollows
Image Comments 26 Aug 22:24
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013
460e1c33292bcccae0a4da907745ed67

Not a particularly huge fan of loli. But TewixReisen. so good....

Hollows
Oneself discussion 23 Aug 13:34
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

…What?

x3

x4

x5

x6

x7

x8

x9

x10

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

She could just be....allergic to the cats. And her allergies are what's causing her weird behavior. In an attempt to calm her allergies, she may be instinctively seeking out furry things to rub and cuddle. Which makes her allergies in turn worse.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Yoshika's the best, we need more of her.

Hollows
Murcielago discussion 18 Aug 18:58
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

@Hollows you brillant bastard, that was pure gold. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to put two and four together, but I couldn't have written it out so people would understand. Kuroko even said it herself that she would save the best for last. If that wasn't thought provoking nothing else is.

Though I have one issue: she is able to map out routes in her head like a grid system, so it's not so much she knew exactly where to go, but found a possible route. Personally I'd like someone like her with my on a road trip. It's just tiny blip in the explination.

Other than that I agree with you on everything else.

and dammit I was right....almost Conbra and Maid-san survived (and I think she found a new master?)

I'd be so very surprised, if our resident air-head protagonist(?) turned out to be some evil criminal mastermind. I'm not sure if I truly understand myself, but it was fun coming up with the theory.

I mean a girl that cute, that air headed. Evil? Plotting? Killing people? No way. Just no way. No matter what anyone (even myself) says, cute girls automatically equal kind-hearted. And air heads are automatically pure. There's a motto to live by...

last edited at Mar 17, 2015 9:02PM

Hollows
Murcielago discussion 18 Aug 10:41
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Did they explain why that Hinako's art homework look like the scene from the murder party?

She's the mastermind. She orchestrated the party and the killings. She knows the mansion so well she knew where a bike could get inside (because the front door is too dangerous), and she knew where all the traps were so she could avoid them while acting childish. Not to mention, she must have been quite well trained to execute these moves also. Her "homework time" allowed her to spy on the party (which she drew) without putting herself in danger. But after realizing that the survivors were capable of reaching the elder, she had to go personally to silence him. The time that she finished her homework was the same time that the survivors had formed into a group. It wasn't a coincidence. Which is why she had to kill the "master" before the others arrive, with a boat so that her identity is kept hidden in case she failed or was not on time.

She led one survivor astray so that the group would arrive separately at the elder's final trap room, giving her more time to kill the elder herself while thinning out the surviving group. Not to mention, she knew that the arrival of several criminals one after the other would let the elder retreat into the cliff side. Otherwise, she could not kill the elder with the boat.

Note that she didn't enter the final room herself, but that there was a dust shoot that led to safety right before the final trap room. If all criminals could simply escape like that, what would even be the point of a final trap room? When the martial artist reached the door however, there was no visible dust shoot anymore. In addition, we notice that the bodies below the dust shoot were actually some feet away from the exit. If this was regular dust shoot, Hinako should have landed on the bodies and garbage below. Which means that something periodically happens below the dust shoot to make the bodies go a few feet away (to one direction) and leave the ground unstained with blood. Now obviously, physical removal of the bodies would leave trails of blood, to erase the blood afterwards is just unproductive. The integrity of the mansion hints at another trap. Which makes sense, the dust shoot shouldn't have been a easy ticket out, it should have been lethal. But Hinako was unaffected by it. Either she knows the nature of the trap below, or she was just lucky as hell.

But then isn't it a big coincidence that Hinako had direct access to the boat afterwards, in a mansion that was expecting a bunch of criminals and looking to prevent their escape? The boat should have been locked down and away from plain sight, but Hinako has easy access to it regardless. Also, she knew where to ram the boat just right so that it kills the elder. The part of the ship that she used to ram him was her blind spot, but nevertheless she rammed the elder perfectly. Consider, from another angle, that she is also a very good pilot. Do good pilots just randomly ram into a huge cliff side by accident? Unless she had plans of the mansion, everything that she does in the mansion is just a coincidence too big to believe...

Interestingly, on a slightly unrelated manner, the sniper was between the martial artist and Kuroko in the mansion, but after the martial artist the second one to arrive was Kuroko. The sniper was the one to watch Hinako tumble down the dust shoot, which is probably why she instead went to look for a dust shoot instead of a door, and followed suit to disappear in the line-up. Chronologically, that would make sense too. And she had to watch Hinako through her scope to learn how to disable the trap.

last edited at Aug 18, 2014 6:49PM

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I was totally expecting something weird on the 5th page...

But then it was completely normal. Why?

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Rinnosuke x anyone is like coming home and finding out a beloved family member was killed in a car crash while you were on vacation

I'm going to have to agree with the guy above me. This is too good.

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Everyone...Everyone was Tsundere.

Not that that's a bad thing.

I find it ironic that Kokoro actively pursues the expression of her own emotions despite her avoidance of things that influence people's hearts (emotions). And then by giving a name to her thoughts, she in turn amplifies the effect emotions have on her own heart.

Kokoro is a rebellious child right? One who rejects the anecdotes of her parents thinking she has everything figured out. When in turn she is just beginning to understand the world herself.

last edited at Jul 10, 2014 12:46AM

Hollows
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I thought so too. She's probably sharper than she appears, that Utsuho is.
Also, a pretty cute story. ^^

Well, not just anyone can count ten years in days to such exactness. Okuu always strike me as an odd genius.

For Okuu, her perceived dullness is what allowed her to control fusion (a very complicated power, one that the universe thrives on). So perhaps her "bird-brained" emptiness is not a lack of knowledge or intelligence, but rather an indication of her ability to embrace the truth whole-heartedly. Unrestrained by unnecessity.

In a more conventional sense, her pure-hearted innocence gives her the responsibility to handle such a destructive power. It is the most karmatic form of justice; a power bestowed to someone worthy of handling it. Especially after Subterranean Animism, as she seems content to stay empty as she is. Not because she has no pursuit for intelligence, but because she realizes that she harbors a great power and understands the consequence for its misuse.

So Okuu can't really be a bird-brain if her perception of duty runs so deep, and her perception of destiny so pure. She's awesome...

Hollows
Life discussion 21 Jun 22:55
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Akyu is one the the few lucky humans who know the purpose of their destiny since birth. Its quite a convenience to know the purpose of life so early. While many of her humans peers are still contemplating their own worth and purpose. Some even dying unfulfilled because they never figured out what to do with their life.

Since everyone must die, I imagine knowing what you will die for makes the process relatively easy. A fulfilled life is better than a long life right?

Akyu isn't some tragic prisoner to her fate. She's born with a blessing, a purpose that allows her to surpass her inevitable death.

last edited at Jun 21, 2014 11:05PM

Hollows
Lonesome discussion 25 May 23:11
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

We finally get a full-length, non-NSFW RemiFlan...and it's not even RemiFlan. I guess Minakata is too much of a SakuRemi fan to really get away from that pairing.

Its too bad. There are some people that like RemiFlan. Really like RemiFlan too....

Hollows
Citrus discussion 15 May 14:32
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Before when making recommendations I would list a bunch of stuff. Starting from what I like to what others like. (e.g. "Oh you like insert topic here, well have you heard of insert appropriate title here)

But now, it's just Citrus. "Oh you want to know a really good yuri manga? It's called Citrus." I love how this series has not only great art, but everything else that makes a story a story rather than a fantasy.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Nothing to say much fanbased yuri connection from another manga. not much yuri in it except for the possessivness of momiji and from the few fanbased yuri spin offs ive seen thats a little low on the yuri rechto scale if i may say so myself and felt like it was kinda short.
Rating 2/5 beers. I can forgive a short story as long as i get some eye candy (kissing, hell even a intimate hug will do. i aint picky) but not a single thing except some incentive that hatate likes momiji, hell we dont even know if momiji likes hatate. i must be missing some crucial information...

Yes, yes you are.

You are missing the incredibly cute Momiji and white wolf tengus.

Also, a surprisingly canon Momiji in terms of behavior.