Forum › Posts by Phil

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

That killer smile at ch 3 pg 31! GAH!!! Never really thought I'd like this one... Been a while since it was released so...

Are... are the songs good? I don't know them songs.... I suddenly feel ashamed.. :(

You probably know at least a few of the tunes and melodies, so don't worry. Maybe the following could help you decide if you would like to check them out:

I'm with Kaname on "I Was Made For Loving You". "That one's... a little..." sums it up nicely, it really does sound nice the first couple of times and then you might grow tired of it. But below there is a bit more valid opinion on the other songs. ;)

"All Day and All of the Night" is an early work by The Kinks, who, among others, spearheaded Punk in the 60s. Being included in the same album, it sounds very much like the more commonly known "You Really Got Me". Expect a lot of semi-distorted guitar. It's not from The Kinks' more ironic later phase, which included "Sunny Afternoon", "Lola" and "Apeman".

"Crossroads" by Cream: Cream was the world's first supergroup, a band which was formed by members who had already established themselves as artists with other bands. Eric Clapton's voice and Blues style are very dominant here, the whole song is catchy and punchyt. Maybe you know Clapton's MTV unplugged album (wow, there used to be music on MTV?) or the style of the long outro of "Layla".

"I Feel Free", also by Cream: This one is so diverse, for me it's difficult to listen to it for relaxation because it's a mix of Rock and Psychedelic Pop. It's a tad bit too taxing to listen to, but that might be just me. Maybe you know "White Room" by Cream. I'm still not sure whether I like Cream or not, probably I'll never make up my mind.

"Seek and Destroy" by Metallica stems from their very first album and is prototypically metal. Driven, angry metal, what's there not to like? Doesn't sound like any of their later works (maybe they discovered their roots again with the album "Death Magnetic", but never heard any of the songs) and is influenced by bands like Saxon. Check out "Strangers in the Night".

There is also a true gem in the songs of the chapter track list:

"Runaway" by Del Shannon is one of the first songs which featured a precursor of a synthesizer in the 60s, so you could say it was also avant guard (and not passé). It was Shannon's biggest hit, which he always struggled to repeat when his career experienced a lull late into the 80s. Then, people starteted to take interest in his songs again and he was rumored to join the biggest supergroup to date, "The Traveling Wilburys", which consisted of Bob Dylan, George Harrison (The Beatles), Tom Petty ("Free Fallin', "Running Down a Dream", "American Girl", "Learning to Fly"), Roy Orbison (who Elvis regarded as the best singer of the world and Springsteen looked up to - ") and Jeff Lynne (of ELO - you might know "Twilight" from the Daicon IV intro by Gainax, also check out "Mr. Bluesky", "Hold on Tight" or "Living Thing"). Allegedly, he was slated to take the place of Roy Orbison, who had died the year before. But having suffered from depression for several years, Del Shannon ended his life in 1990.

The Wilburys then covered "Runaway" with Lynne providing the lead vocals and Dylan doing the backing vocals. Although having Dylan backing oneself should be considered an honor, I don't think its nice to listen to. He is just too special of a voice ("Your songs are great but your voice is shit." ;_;).

Of course, all of that is just my opinion and there is no accounting for taste.

Having thought about all that, I wonder what kind of songs Kaname writes and what Seira's voice sounds like. "Rock It, GIRL" or "Rocket Girl" reminds me of "Rocket Queen" from early Guns N' Roses, which is one of the most intelligent and honest love songs in my book. If you don't know it, it starts with a very boastful attitude towards the woman the singer is interested in but would never confess really wants to be with nor acknowledge her existence. It's that whole "I could have anyone, why would I want you?"-thing that goes on until the bridge. After that is when the second part starts where that brave front crumbles and all the false bravado is gone and the insecurtities and susceptibilities that come with love show. Including both sides of love, not being honest and then confessing, makes it one of the kindest songs there are for me. I would like the sound of the band to be something like that, aiming high but never losing sight of what is most important. Jackson Browne once wrote a song for his roadies, "The Load-Out". Kaname could maybe write one about the band's frontwoman, depending on how their relationship develops, or finding themselves as a band and include things like her own stage fright or Seira's hand shaking before their first gig. I like Seira: Her dedication, being full of zip, but still a rookie and therefore too unforgiving. Just the right mix for the band with Haruko and Katsura being pretty chill.

/wall of text

Boy, I like this one more than I thought I would. Good to hear there is already a second volume out.

last edited at Dec 14, 2014 2:32PM