Forum › Posts by othiym23

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

It's always nice to see Ikeda Takashi doing Ikeda Takashi things. I'm sure the focus will get back to Elly and Wanko before too long, but I really don't know where he's going with Tamago Onii-san and I'm curious to see.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Kinda off topic, is Aquatope gay?

It sorta seemed like it was going to be at first, and then it seemed like it was going to be more about sisterhood and the power and friendship, but now it's sort of heading in another direction… probably not, but we're less than halfway through a 24-episode series, so who knows.

It actually reminds me a lot of A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow with more outgoing protagonists. The relationship between the two MCs, whatever it ends up being, is really compelling and sweet. And it's by PA Works, so it's beautiful and very well made. Probably my anime of the season.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I enjoy how it's like Kia is a character in after-school educational programming for like Girl Guides and Chio is a character from some mashup of Citrus and a post-credits scene from End of Eva. Just completely different worlds.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I really appreciate the beleaguered tone of the typesetter's notes. Hang in there, royal nobody-san! You can do it!

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

The girls from Girls' Last Tour have shown up in here at least once so far (and it's the same mangaka), so…

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

reread this masterpiece and i'd like to point something out :,)
https://imgur.com/k7nfUY2
i've no clue how to add an image to this forum ... apologies !!

Lol this is what I get for not reading all the comments before posting… yes! We noticed the same thing!

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I just realized that this is a reflection of this. I don't care what anybody else thinks. This isn't subtextual to me at all. They're heterosexual life partners only they're gay.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Also what is up with Ise's tights in that last chapter? They're not stirrup tights, but they don't have socks, or maybe the front half of the feet are white…? I find them confusing and disturbing.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 4:03PM

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

This page brought back in an immediate and visceral way what my last breakup was like. I don't know if anybody who hasn't been through it can understand how absolutely devastating and wasted the morning after that particular kind of sleepless night can feel. A lot happened in this chapter, and I really like the way in which it played out was used to show how the relationship between Ise and Shima works. It's clear that neither of them think they're in a romantic relationship with each other, but it's equally clear that they're not just friends (even close friends) or roommates. I really want this series to come back someday just to see where the two of them end up. This is one of my favorite stories on this site.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 3:55PM

othiym23
Pretender discussion 31 Aug 22:18
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Good ol' Kodama Naoko. I thought this was pretty entertaining. These aren't bad people so much as immature, and the way things stand at the end, they're perfect for each other (that doesn't mean they're good for each other). Kodama has a lane and she doesn't stray very far from it and I respect her for that.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

How open ended and introspective of them to just end like that

Yeah. This reminds me of one of those quasi-autobiographical indie comics from the 90s. The afterword said it was about girls and ruins, so fair play to the mangaka, it definitely delivered both of those. But not much more than that.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I've thought about it a while, and I've decided that this is the weirdest story currently being published on this site. Ai Misumi is the only comprehensible human being in this story.

last edited at Aug 30, 2021 8:34PM

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Well the frequency of the chapters is no one's fault since the magazine this is serialized in comes out every 4 months if I'm not mistaken.

Galette comes out quarterly, so every three months. I think there's still a chapter or two left untranslated, but it doesn't really matter given the relative infrequency of new chapters getting published.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Hang in there, Hinako. I'm sorry, Fuuka. So many nice girls in this series. I just want happiness for all of them.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I bought 2DK, G-pen, Alarm Clock in Japanese mostly because Ohsawa-sensei goes so bananas with the slang, Business Engrish / Japlish, and regional accents, and I figured it would be good for my Japanese learnin to puzzle through it. The good news is that series is like nine thousand* volumes long and basically a novel-length version of this story (with way more gay panic and angst); the bad news is that it seems that SAD will only translate further chapters of that series on commission and I don't have the bux.

I also want to state my appreciation for the title translation; the original title doesn't have the double entendre, and I kinda feel like it takes the whole story to the next level. Great job as always, Sexy Akiba Detectives/ Rankarana!

*may be off by a few orders of magnitude

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

You know, after reading this manga, hearing about your 250 a day quota, and remembering my own horrible stint working with photo editing, I think I see a pattern with this kind of work...

Yeah, the pattern is that production art is sucky work that compensates for it by being very poorly paid.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

God forbid that a mangaka include a depiction of an actual lesbian in a yuri story. Maybe this could have been avoided with the Non-moe Art tag.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

im tooth

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Kabukicho (the pink district in Tokyo’s Shinjuku ward) is so infamously affiliated with organized crime that there’s an entire long-running series of video games about (I keep acquiring Yakuza games for free during PS+ promotions at a somewhat alarming pace). I’m sure there are soaplands and “health” businesses that aren’t associated with the yakuza, but I’m equally certain there are. It’s not lighthearted fun and games (trafficking, extortion, protection rackets, violence against sex workers), but it’s also pretty much ignored by the legal authorities below a certain threshold. Jake Adelstein’s Tokyo Vice is largely about his work as a reporter trying to get the Japanese authorities to take trafficking of girls and women from other Asian countries (and Russia & Ukraine) seriously.

Combine that with an economy that is still not very hospitable to new entrants to the workforce, and this seems at worst mildly implausible, and pretty reasonable for something played for laughs. The phrase “black company” exists in Japan for a reason.

Also, it could be a covert commentary on the anime and manga industries themselves. Having done some piecework production art for a reputable manga publisher in the past, I can tell you that that schedule and level of expectation doesn’t actually seem very out of the ordinary. It’s all extremely shady (and is meant to be perceived that way) but it’s not too far out there. I find the idea of a story about a bunch of more or less normal office workers trying to cope with the exigencies of working for the mob, and the possibility of flirting between the MC and some of the girls she’s touching up, to be pretty entertaining.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

It's a lot easier to figure out which yuri mangaka are queer IRL when they all go out and hit the club together. (Less glibly, I give Morishima-sensei a lot of the credit for putting forward a much more directly lesbian focus in yuri manga. Hanjuku Joshi is one of the first serialized stories I can think of that features a school setting pretty much completely purged of Class S influences.)

last edited at Aug 6, 2021 5:52PM

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I was sort of joking before when I pasted in that GIF from Tokyo Story, but I feel a pretty significant Ozu influence in this story. Part of it is the Showa setting, but part of it is the depiction of the blunt brutality of life under traditional Japanese patriarchy, along with the fatalism of the characters. We already know how screwed everyone is in the end, and the way it shows how it got to that point is interesting enough to mostly offset how depressing it is.

Maybe because Ozu is the Other Great Japanese director and has this reputation of being especially Japanese, people discount him as worthy but not really relevant / gripping / alive. I've watched most of his movies, and in the season movies (Late Spring, Early Summer, Autumn Afternoon, Late Autumn) especially, nobody gets out unharmed, and it's both hard to watch and almost too real, despite his many stylistic idiosyncrasies. The big addition in this story is a stifled lesbian romance that seems like it starts as a Class S story that goes well past the logical conclusion of most of those stories. And also involves grievous bodily harm.

I like this story. It's sad and hard but not cruel in the telling. (Yet.)

last edited at Aug 6, 2021 2:12AM

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

This one shot and the manhwa Program Me are the only two examples of healthy bdsm relationships for a wlw couple I’ve ever seen. I was kinda scared by the tags but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

read Sunstone.

Yeah, Sunstone is very Western in style and execution but it's still the standard-setter for depictions of healthy, kink-positive relationships and the Western BDSM scene. It's beautiful, too. I'm personally pretty vanilla and I really enjoy it.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

There's the Yukiko that I know and love! I love that she does basically ultra-fluff like Futaribeya and also… this.

last edited at Aug 5, 2021 3:55PM

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I just noticed that Wako's bunny-eared manager is named Yamaguchi Gumi. Ikeda-sensei really went for it with that character. An entire Rumiko Takahashi series's worth of weird, bad jokes rolled up into a single character.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Also, neither of these girls seems to be particularly promiscuous. Each of them only sleeps with one person in the entire story.