Forum › Posts by othiym23

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Sleep tight, Onee-san

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Shimeji Simulation with rabbits instead of weird rocks.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

As my pfp demonstrates, I really love Ayane's stuff, and I especially love her insanely convoluted, lore-heavy Madoka doujins. My favorites are the Mami x OL stories, but this one is a cute bit of wish fulfillment / fic as well.

I wish we could get her Five Demon Generals and Makikomi series here, because they're both very cute and wholesome in their extremely raunchy way (and also genuinely hilarious – I love her comedy writing).

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

This title just reminds me of that manga where s little girl hangs out with her older sisters Ex

How come that one just stopped

My Sister's Friend? I don't know. It's completed and published in two volumes in Japanese. The scanlation was a collaboration between two teams, and maybe they just got busy with their own projects…

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

This is very pretty and these girls are very nice.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Hello, Pippi-chan. Hello!

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Rumiko Takahashi...now THERE is a name I have not read in quite some time.

Viz has been putting out deluxe English wideban reissues of most of her most famous series over the last year or so, so I've been rereading Maison Ikkoku, which is way up there as my all-time favorite manga (and a big part of what got me to start learning Japanese). It holds up! I think it's impossible to overstate the influence that she's had on anything even vaguely romance or slice-of-life oriented.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

UH OH

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

FROM THE BALCONY!?

Wanko's hair is cute in a ponytail.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

…and then they both died when the car swerved across three lanes of traffic to run over an ambulance driver.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I like that this story has the same basic shape and character dynamics as Ise-san and Shima-san while having an almost entirely different emotional tone. It feels like these women have been through, and put each other through, a whole lot through the time that they've known each other. It reminds me a little of The Feelings We All Must Endure in that way (as a side note, who came up with that English title? It has nothing to do with the Japanese title at all).

Also, it feels a little unrealistic that one of four friends who were very close at one time would not know that two of the others split up and got back together. Maybe it's a cultural thing. In my circles of friends, that kind of drama gets around even faster than deaths in the family and marriages.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Does anybody know what senpai meant when she said that Osaka isn't part of Japan?

Just some casual Tokyo / Kanto supremacism on the part of the two of them.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Slapstick is a weird gag to use on an abuse victim

The way Mikanuji uses casual violence throughout this series is extremely interesting and occasionally very off-putting. It keeps the series from settling comfortably either into comedy or slice of life because many of the characters have been through real violence and emotional trauma, which is generally played seriously, but then the various couples are beating each other up and the tone, if not the affect, is comedic. I'm pretty sure it's part of why I like the series and it's definitely part of what makes it distinctive, but it's also what keeps it from being a comfy read, especially in the earlier chapters.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

"terf terf terf"
"egg egg egg"
blah blah blah

That is a whole lot of words to say "I'm a transphobe" while claiming you're not a transphobe. I'm amazed the word "woke" isn't in that screed

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

It's always nice to see Ikeda Takashi doing Ikeda Takashi things. I'm sure the focus will get back to Elly and Wanko before too long, but I really don't know where he's going with Tamago Onii-san and I'm curious to see.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Kinda off topic, is Aquatope gay?

It sorta seemed like it was going to be at first, and then it seemed like it was going to be more about sisterhood and the power and friendship, but now it's sort of heading in another direction… probably not, but we're less than halfway through a 24-episode series, so who knows.

It actually reminds me a lot of A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow with more outgoing protagonists. The relationship between the two MCs, whatever it ends up being, is really compelling and sweet. And it's by PA Works, so it's beautiful and very well made. Probably my anime of the season.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I enjoy how it's like Kia is a character in after-school educational programming for like Girl Guides and Chio is a character from some mashup of Citrus and a post-credits scene from End of Eva. Just completely different worlds.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I really appreciate the beleaguered tone of the typesetter's notes. Hang in there, royal nobody-san! You can do it!

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

The girls from Girls' Last Tour have shown up in here at least once so far (and it's the same mangaka), so…

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

reread this masterpiece and i'd like to point something out :,)
https://imgur.com/k7nfUY2
i've no clue how to add an image to this forum ... apologies !!

Lol this is what I get for not reading all the comments before posting… yes! We noticed the same thing!

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I just realized that this is a reflection of this. I don't care what anybody else thinks. This isn't subtextual to me at all. They're heterosexual life partners only they're gay.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Also what is up with Ise's tights in that last chapter? They're not stirrup tights, but they don't have socks, or maybe the front half of the feet are white…? I find them confusing and disturbing.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 4:03PM

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

This page brought back in an immediate and visceral way what my last breakup was like. I don't know if anybody who hasn't been through it can understand how absolutely devastating and wasted the morning after that particular kind of sleepless night can feel. A lot happened in this chapter, and I really like the way in which it played out was used to show how the relationship between Ise and Shima works. It's clear that neither of them think they're in a romantic relationship with each other, but it's equally clear that they're not just friends (even close friends) or roommates. I really want this series to come back someday just to see where the two of them end up. This is one of my favorite stories on this site.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 3:55PM

othiym23
Pretender discussion 31 Aug 22:18
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Good ol' Kodama Naoko. I thought this was pretty entertaining. These aren't bad people so much as immature, and the way things stand at the end, they're perfect for each other (that doesn't mean they're good for each other). Kodama has a lane and she doesn't stray very far from it and I respect her for that.

othiym23
Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

How open ended and introspective of them to just end like that

Yeah. This reminds me of one of those quasi-autobiographical indie comics from the 90s. The afterword said it was about girls and ruins, so fair play to the mangaka, it definitely delivered both of those. But not much more than that.