Forum › Posts by arch99

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

AnoKiss is wonderful, and truly amazing for what it is and what it does, but it's just not as good as YagaKimi, at all. It's not trying to be, it's happy high-quantity yuri featuring a variety of interesting relationships intersecting in fun ways,

Your phrase about what the various series are “trying to be” is more what I was getting at. And I’d stand up for AnoKiss a bit because of its unusual and ambitious structure—if some of the subsidiary arcs seemed rushed, it was partly because each one was just one of many.

That overall series itself is something like YagaKimi in that it did achieve what it set out to do—in the case of AnoKiss, it fully developed the relationship between the main pair while peopling a whole self-contained surrounding world and milieu, (albeit a lighter and fluffier one than in YagaKimi).

This series seemed to start out wanting to be something rather psychologically darker and more emotionally intense than it ended up being, and characters like the lizard-sempai and the flirty teacher appeared to be slated for more developed roles than they ended up getting. To use an analogy I’ve used before, this one came off sort of like a math problem where the answer came out right but all the work wasn’t shown. (And that never gets full marks.)

Kou, for instance, became something like The Girl with the Magic Relationship Fixing Camera and less of a fully realized character in her own right, which she could have been had we seen more of her struggling with the turbulent emotional waves caused by the other two.

It’s true that the poly ending was foreshadowed early on, and I was actually rather looking forward to seeing how we got to it, when all of a sudden we were already there.

I was more contrasting AnoKiss from YagaKimi based on emotional depth than on achieving the goals they set out to achieve - keep in mind AnoKiss was, at least until today and maybe after, my favorite manga, period. I'm not attacking it. But it's not anywhere near the level of emotional depth or mature handling of poignant themes that I feel YagaKimi is. YagaKimi is also more beautiful, to me, being one of the most gorgeous series they is. AnoKiss is amazing, it's just not the same sort of thing. I would say AnoKiss is a good yuri manga, maybe one of the best yuri mangas, but YagaKimi is, beyond that, an amazing story overall.

arch99
Canno discussion 28 Jan 21:38
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Does anyone know Canno's pronouns btw? I realized I don't shortly ago.

You mean the gender ? Mangaupdate said Canno is a woman.

I mean her pronouns, which are not exactly the same thing as gender, thank you regardless, since that answers the question (as Canno is presumably using she/her if she is a woman).

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

This chapter is good but the anticipation just keeps building I'm getting anxious lmao.

arch99
Canno discussion 28 Jan 20:50
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Does anyone know Canno's pronouns btw? I realized I don't shortly ago.

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

idk, I was thinking "this seems like a situation that would be best solved by polyamory" starting around chapter 2 - it felt very sensible to me, assuming the people feel okay with that sort of "sharing" - which the people there clearly do, I was impressed by the lack of jealousy in this series. It's kind of wild that people are trying to convince me that... what I shouldn't enjoy it cause it's kinda rushed? That was true of many of the sections in AnoKiss too, it's a shame because it could have been better, but people on here really need 4x as must backup and justification for any polyamorous developments as they do for monoamorous, all of the polyamory I've seen here has seemed logical and to make the people happy, and just as well-justified as the monoamorous relationships that pop up.

No, of course, you should enjoy the series any way you want to. But as an achieved work of narrative art, it doesn't hold a candle to YagaKimi, or even AnoKiss, just in terms of knowing what it's about from the start and sticking to it.

And I take it "lack of jealousy" doesn't extend to lizard-sempai, although maybe "I like her best when she's crying" isn't technically "jealousy."

I mean yeah lizard-senpai isn't one of the ones who has to be in the polyamorous relationship, it doesn't matter at all to the strength of the polyamorous relationship if she's jealous or not.

Anyway I never put it on the level of YagaKimi or AnoKiss, not even close, i don't think AnoKiss is on the level of YagaKimi either. those are my favorite manga, they are up there because of how much I like them, not because I think they are some objective level of good. YagaKimi is the best manga I've read, period. Crescent Moon and Doughnuts is working it's way up there too, and looks like the only real competitor for the spot imo. AnoKiss is wonderful, and truly amazing for what it is and what it does, but it's just not as good as YagaKimi, at all. It's not trying to be, it's happy high-quantity yuri featuring a variety of interesting relationships intersecting in fun ways, it's the definition of a good intro to yuri. This gets a spot because I am polyamorous and do not get to see the type of relationships I would like to be in represented in manga once, so for a manga to be entirely focused on that, as opposed to relegating it to side characters or having it as secondary to the smut, and for that not to be a doujin or a oneshot, is pretty huge, and on top of that I thought it was pretty good and covered a fair amount of emotional depth. I don't think it was the next Bloom Into You, and it was an entirely different type of manga to AnoKiss, but it was good. Now, if we do get something of the quality of YagaKimi, that's yuri, and that's about a polyamorous relationship, I will cry and it will be my favorite manga near-guaranteed. But that's not a thing yet.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 8:35PM

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

idk, I was thinking "this seems like a situation that would be best solved by polyamory" starting around chapter 2 - it felt very sensible to me, assuming the people feel okay with that sort of "sharing" - which the people there clearly do, I was impressed by the lack of jealousy in this series. It's kind of wild that people are trying to convince me that... what I shouldn't enjoy it cause it's kinda rushed? That was true of many of the sections in AnoKiss too, it's a shame because it could have been better, but people on here really need 4x as must backup and justification for any polyamorous developments as they do for monoamorous, all of the polyamory I've seen here has seemed logical and to make the people happy, and just as well-justified as the monoamorous relationships that pop up.

arch99
Polyamory discussion 28 Jan 16:33
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Is there a reason Luminous=Blue isn't tagged as polyamory, at least for the final chapter (and the last extra)? It seems to perfectly fit, and I probably would have discovered it much sooner if it was. I suggested the change, but it seems obvious enough that if it wasn't already there there would have been a reason.

I guess just spoiler reasons, though you could argue that enough time has passed that they can be added now.

That makes sense - it was a better read not being sure they'd end up that way (in fact, actively believing there was no way they would, but hoping against hope they would because they all love eachother and make eachother happy and shagoshdoifghjsoiadh good.)

arch99
Polyamory discussion 28 Jan 15:59
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Is there a reason Luminous=Blue isn't tagged as polyamory, at least for the final chapter (and the last extra)? It seems to perfectly fit, and I probably would have discovered it much sooner if it was. I suggested the change, but it seems obvious enough that if it wasn't already there there would have been a reason.

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Is it just me or is the translation very hard to follow at a few points, like the second page. Feels like someone needed to go back over it again and change it from a more literal translation to one that sounded right in English.

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK THIS DOESN'T JUST FEEL POLYAMOROUS IT EXPLICITLY IS. HOW HAS NO ONE EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THIS THIS IS A DECENTLY LONG MANGA THAT IS ENTIRELY POLYAMOROUS HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT.

Edit: I'm still shook about this, i really adored it. Can't decide if it's my favorite manga now, but it's definitively top 3 along with YagaKimi and AnoKiss. I'm so happy this actually just skyrocketed my mood this is great. God.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 3:53PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

OH MY GOD HER FRIENDS ARE SO GOOD TO HER I LOVE THEM. THIS IS SO SWEET, BEST CHAPTER

arch99
Loose Socks discussion 28 Jan 01:00
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I wanna see a story where the girl bully is SUPER tsundere and gay for the cute innocent girl she's bullying (partially because she hates seeing boys hitting on her)... And then, when she's in the process of bullying her, she finally looses it and flat out says "why won't you f*cking look at ME?"

Your dream got fulfilled pretty much. Read "Bully and Bullied"!

I also love this trope. "Bully and Bullied" is awesome, I love it. But, I'm greedy, and I want more

Graphite by Takemiya Jin is pretty short but it's also about a tsundere bully, with a little bit of a twist. I really like the way it portrays sensuality in BDSM as well, quite beautiful.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Yeah I mean, the pop-culture trope of men being able to seduce lesbians is horrible and gross and literally causes rapes intended to 'fix' lesbians, that's far from unfounded. And cishet people can be really bad at writing queer themes sometimes, I wouldn't disagree with that. I don't think I understand enough of the references here to talk about those at all, and I'm not sure a callout on a specific user being in it helps the post really.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

This

Little more pressure-y than I'd like, she's clearly interested, I'd prefer if that was explored more than just the other one practically guilt-tripping her into a makeout. Whatever, it wasn't very long, I imagine it'll be shown more later.

and this

Obviously there's some dubious consent here, but I really can't get enough. Love me some women who know what they want lol

I'm honestly not sure which is worse. One was technically without consent (a sexy surprise attack if you want to put it nicely(?)) while the other one was of dubious consent (tricked into doing it herself but wasn't forced).

Like, it's not terrible lack of consent, what with the signals and whatever (consent isn't solely verbal, it's just that it's hard to be sure without it being verbal) - in all the cases it has seemed that she was okay with it and consenting, just a bit confused around everything, I just would have preferred it to have been set up in a less pressured situation - one of the hottest things for me is girls smugly just saying 'oh you obviously want XXXX so you can take it if you want' then just lean back and let her come in and, in this situation, kiss her.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

It's 2020 now, do we know if this ever got a sequel?

It seems very designed/intended as a one-shot.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I love how the bunny also changes expressions

Well i heard they have a threesome so there is still that. Don't have really much more information.. But i mean, the 2 neighboor seem willing to share(well more or less) so one can hope.

Chapter 33 from December show the three of them having a NSFW moment (kissing, sucking nipples... no hentai, but still)

Okay but having sex together doesn't necessarily mean a polyamorous relationship, so I was hoping someone that had read the original, as someone in here had seem to have done, could enlighten me

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Little more pressure-y than I'd like, she's clearly interested, I'd prefer if that was explored more than just the other one practically guilt-tripping her into a makeout. Whatever, it wasn't very long, I imagine it'll be shown more later.

Yeah, it was less seduction and more tricking an idiot with no social skills which isn't particularly sexy.

In the interests of transparency, one of the advertising catches in the magazine version describes Nakano as 淳朴 (じゅんぼく) すぎる or overly naive, rustic, honest. So there definitely is a thread of Nakano kind of being in the middle of these situations often out of naivety.

In the interests of keeping an audience for Sasaki-senpai's great work I can say that it does explore what Nakano actually wants more. But it is at heart a romcom, so, you know, be prepared for a romcom protagonist except they're a cute girl with other cute girls

And it is polyamory? She ends up with both of them? Please?

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Yeah, it was less seduction and more tricking an idiot with no social skills which isn't particularly sexy.

Yeah, I'm hoping they won't keep the whole "MC doesn't even realize the other two are into her" thing going - I thought it was explicit in chapter 1.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Chapter 4 epilogue:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cat2Sora/status/1221820800610656257

Oh my god that's so tender. I love it.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Ah, I see. Because everyone is gone, Satou feels entitled to her parental role to the point she couldn't allow herself to be selfish.

Though, I can sense there's probably more about the sisters. There's probably a reason why her sister is #1 top priority, perhaps something bad will happen if her sister is left alone?? (self-harming for example) And after her sister is all good and stable, Satou still couldn't leave her.

Or maybe she thinks that if she were to find love, she'll leave her sister all alone like how her family left her. These are my guesses anyways, looking forward to next chapters!

My hope is it resolves with them all living together - you don't need to abandon your sister to be in a long-term romantic relationship. I think that'd be sweet.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Man. Chapter 6 really got people talking.

if you're talking about the weird agenda karp has, that started before this chapter.

arch99
Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

i want a serie about them

This is the sequel to a previous two-shot, involving the same characters, one bit from either perspective. It's not unreasonable to hope there might be more after this.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

To me it seems like the story is about mental illness. I'm interpreting her as autistic personally, the feelings of disconnect, the executive dysfunction, a lot of signs ring true to my experiences with autism. It's a story about not fitting in, ultimately, and being gay is part, but not all of that. I imagine her being gay will become a larger portion of it - we are only 6 chapters in, after all, and her feelings for her senpai just became a huge point in this latest chapter. It seems like you just hate this story, and are determined to do so and say it's bad, regardless of what anyone else says, so respectfully I'm gonna tap out here, and recommend you just stop clicking on it, if that's how you feel.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I don't know, frankly, why you think it's a coming out story. It's a story about finding yourself and reaching out to people, and being loved, the sexuality of it is secondary. It's a story about finding yourself. Coming out stories are stories about finding yourself, yes, but not the only type, and the fact that she is gay does not mean all her problems are magically fixed by her coming out. Literally in the chapter just posted she's beginning to come to terms with her feelings, the author isn't dancing around making it gay or something, they're writing a slow love story that isn't mostly about the love.