Forum › Posts by Dreamloop

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

She’s specifically said (maybe in the the tank to Fake Married My Junior) that throughout her career sometimes she likes to do dark stories and sometimes sweet ones—but always with big boobs.

Weird, but respectable. Laughed a bit when first read this statement.

I guess it depends on how you found her first. For me she'll always be primarily the author of Renai Manga, so I very much like when she does this.

I got to know the name via NTR, but I became a big fan when I read A World Without Freedom and Cocytus a couple years back. So yeah, I lean on the morbid side of things.

And yes, she did say in an interview that:

Question: Did anything change in your creative process once you debuted as a professional?

Kodama: Not right after going pro, but as I’ve drawn over the years, many things have changed. The ratio between “I want to express my own feelings,” and “I want everyone to enjoy reading” has changed from about 8:2 to 3:7. Because of that, the way I go about making stories and characters has changed too.

https://wolfhonyaku.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/kodama-naoko-the-storyteller-of-light-and-shadow/

So this would suggest that she's moved slightly away from the darker stuff, which is a shame. Still, probably my favorite artist right now. Her best stuff is just so good.

PS. Kodama also pretty openly said in the interview that Ashima and Sakura are "going at it" lol, didn't notice last time I read it

last edited at Jan 7, 2021 7:07PM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 07 Jan 17:05
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I could have sworn I'd seen it tagged as such, but the sources I checked don't seem to at the moment (except ebj below). I suppose Citrus has always "felt" very shoujo to me, so I filed it with things like Netsuzou Trap (at least Wikipedia does tag that one as shoujo). In a niche like yuri I suspect a publication can't effort to be too specialized, but ebookjapan files Comic Yuri Hime related series under under shoujo/josei targeted manga so I guess it isn't totally in my head. (I also assume the now abandoned Comic Yuri Hime S male targeted spin-off was because they felt the original wasn't capturing that demographic).

Thanks for the great reply! I know that in a niche like Yuri the categorizations are a bit more flexible than usual, but there is sometimes talk of seinen yuri or josei yuri etc. So I was always kinda curious where Citrus lands on that scale. Also funny that Netsuzou Trap would be filed under shoujo - how can (old-school) Naoko Kodama with the toxic relationship galore and Saburouta fit under the same roof? Haha

Although the labeling division seems to run pretty deep in the Japanese industry, it isn't absolute, although often there is a recognizable shift in emphasis/tone. Citrus is also a bit tricky since it seems like the anime was targeted at a adult male demographic (I'd guess they are the ones with the money to burn on blurays and merch), sifting the direction and adding in fanservice.

Lol as an adult male I actually found the anime less cringeworthy when I saw it compared to the manga, but this is obviously just my personal feelings and maybe in the few years or so between reading the first few chapters and seeing the anime I've just gotten more tolerant towards the bs. Saburouta's super-expressive faces just made those non-consensual scenes so intense. I actually instantly labeled the series as shonen/seinen due to the graphic non-consensual elements, but it seems that was just my own preconceptions at work, and the series did turn out to be very different in the end... I actually kinda liked the anime, but that's another story.

It also overlaps with the author's gender and sexuality. I suppose it is one of those common cases in cultural dichotomies where although broad trends can be identified the spread of the choices is wider than the gap between them.

Yeah, this is definitely one thing, but it's actually hard to for me to come up with a comparison since all Yuri I read/watch tends to be by female creators or based on their works. With the exception of Ikuhara Kunihiko maybe, but that's a pretty special case.

That said I usually feel like I can tell the difference: eg compare Citrus to Bloom into You (shounen targeted). Both are yuri written by women, but have quite different feels around gender and sexuality.

Yeah there is an obvious difference, but personally I've always felt that Bloom into You was just more mature - I was pretty surprised when I learned that it was published in a seinen magazine. Which isn't actually that surprising since I've understood that Yuri has been a relatively "regular" fixture in seinen for many years now. Anyway, I kinda just thought that BiY belonged into the same broad category as Citrus and they definitely did not target different genders, but now that you mention it there is a obvious difference in how straightforward Yuu and Touko are with their feelings compared to Yuzu and folks. In my culture (Northern Europe) it feels like a maturity and not a gender thing, but I guess it could be different in the Japanese cultural context. I guess Citrus does have a lot more of melodrama and all that swooning over the "epic first love" kind of thing, whereas in Bloom into You people everybody skipped the theatrics for the most part and just got straight down to business.

last edited at Jan 7, 2021 5:15PM

Dreamloop
Cocytus discussion 05 Jan 20:16
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

It's such a shame that Cocytus only got 2 chapters... It should have been so many more. I love the setting and the characters, and the storytelling, though cut short, was brilliant

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 05 Jan 17:22
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Damn, looks like Mei lost the ring. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly because I want to see HaruMatsu development.

It feels like for 75% of the posters in this thread the reason to keep on reading is HaruMatsu - which is the only legit reason lol

last edited at Jan 5, 2021 5:22PM

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I really don't like it when Naoko Kodama does wholesome stuff... lol :D I would have expected at least some more craziness for example related to the sisters, but I guess everybody gets old and starts to feel all fuzzy inside

last edited at Jan 5, 2021 5:20PM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 04 Jan 17:28
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Although the promotion of the anime might give people a different impression, Citrus is a romantic drama written for young women (primarily, at least)

Interesting... I've always wondered about Citrus' demographic. Just interested, how did you come to the conclusion? Is the Comic Yuri Hime mostly targeted at young women?

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 04 Jan 17:10
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

This would be a better series if the mains were replaced with Haru & Matsu...

Dreamloop
Image Comments 04 Aug 04:39
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019
82204045_p0

Where is Yachiyo's right hand, I wonder... Dirty

Dreamloop
Image Comments 14 Jun 06:06
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019
79962387_p0

My word is this just mind-blowing...

I love the dark and slightly twisted tone combined with Yachiyo's gentleness. Also the fact that they both look a bit older here.

last edited at Jun 14, 2020 6:08AM

Dreamloop
Gemini discussion 24 Apr 10:48
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Ah, I love it when Naoko Kodama does dark or otherwise unconventional stuff. This is way up there with the best

Dreamloop
Image Comments 08 Apr 13:06
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019
Untitled-6

Ah, this ship is so cute. Just downloaded the mobile game even though I -never- play mobile games. Excited to find out more about these dorks

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Naoko is the best, be it twisted or wholesome stuff.

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 02 Mar 14:59
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Ok, this is more like origina Citrus at its best - totally trashy but fun. But really this story still needs to go somewhere instead of just offering us distractions. HaruMatsu please... Matsuri is still the best

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Yamada Ako is the best when it comes to Madoka Magica doujins. Captures the bittersweetness of the series perfectly. The feels...

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 17 Oct 06:59
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

What gives?

I mean, at this point such questions are up there with the big questions in life in terms of difficulty (and pointlessness). Like "Does god exist" and "what is the meaning of life".

Just did some browsing of Citrus fanart and was a bit sad that the series has become what it has :'(

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Ah, finally some new work from Naoko... It's trashy but good (and what else can you expect from Naoko?)

Not quite as engaging as some of her other works, but I'll give this a chance to grow.

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 24 Jun 09:42
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Isn’t kissing SFW? There is a difference between kissing or at least implied kissing and an outright make out scene. Besides, isn’t Citrus being published in Yuri Hime, the same magazine that published NTR?
NTR has kissing, groping, and implied sex scenes. If they are all in the same magazine, I don’t see why showing the same in Citrus is a problem. Which by the way it used to show all that.

You know, I think the whole series is just a giant conspiracy to make our brains explode from the strain of trying to figure it out. You can't explain this in any other way.

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 23 Jun 11:53
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

And the reason why I'm so vitriolic about the failings of Citrus+ is that the series actually had some real potential. Not potential to be anything spectacular, but potential to be a respectable guilty pleasure. It was enjoyable when it was trashy but sexy, now Sabu has been trying to turn this into a "serious" romance which she quite apparently cannot handle at all.

Mei's sexually abusive behaviour in the first volumes was cringeworthy but preferable to what we have now.

last edited at Jun 23, 2019 11:54AM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 23 Jun 11:44
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Despite everything I've said here, I really would like to see the second anime season.

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 20 Jun 04:45
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

@blastaar @HuckaLeroo @Altair

Thanks for your hilarious comments, they really made my day. I wouldn't be surprised if UFOs and alien lesbians suddenly appeared out of nowhere, they'd be more realistic than what we've had so far.

I think the mods should add a comedy tag to this discussion since it's getting so out of hand.

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 19 Jun 08:17
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

How hard can it be to tell someone that you like them without weird plot devices? The whole academy thing was so weird and incoherent.

At least the two did go forward a little, though still not at the point where they could face each other in an everyday setting and communicate their love for each other.

I basically have less than zero expecations for this series at this point so any progress in their relationship is a bonus. Let's hope the story keeps on advancing like this and without detours.

Dreamloop
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

It's not often that manga manages to deliver touching drama without sacrificing credibility or being melodramatic. BiY certainly does that, and in such a subtle and understated way which really deserves applause.

I also love the fact that the central conflict almost completely sidesteps the usual "oh but we're both girls" stuff. After everything Yuu and Touko have gone through, that seems like the smallest obstacle. And at the same time, the queerness isn't just ignored either like in so many other works. The execution is worth 100 points.

I just like the main story arc so much. It was innovative and believable, and was paced in such a way that you never grew bored and there was zero fillers, yet everything had enough time to unfold without being rushed.

This just might be my all-time favorite Yuri. I really hope they would make a second anime season covering the rest of the story.

last edited at Jun 1, 2019 4:46PM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 31 May 18:08
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

And yeah Mei would be the rich guy. Pump and dump, never to be seen again.

Let's just say that I'm happy that it didn't turn out that way.

Also, comparing Bloom into You to Citrus is like comparing some famous French vintage to your average table wine. If Citrus had believable, consistent characters with understandable motivations & coherent and well-paced storytelling like BiY, it would probably be a great read.

Still, I'm not giving up hope on this. I just want Mei and Yuzu to finally communicate and face each others' feelings openly. How hard can it be to just talk about what you're feeling?

(And I want to see Matsuri get some love)

Also, the fact that Citrus didn't work at all when read chapter-per-month is proof of its bad pacing. I also read all 10 volumes in succession a few months back, and it was ok, but following Citrus+ right now is nigh unbearable.

last edited at May 31, 2019 6:10PM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 29 May 11:55
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Lol let’s face it folks, if this was a het story Yuzu would be “16 and preggers”

You mean Mei would be the male person in this relationship? A hilarious thought, thank god she's not.

The whole citrus mess is such a shame since I actually liked the story before it fell into complete incoherence. It used to be trashy but interesting, now it's just trashy.

I still listen to Citrus op a lot and I wouldn't mind rewatching the anime. The story should have just ended there...

last edited at May 29, 2019 12:01PM

Dreamloop
Citrus + discussion 28 May 10:15
Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Hahaha this thread is just like an endless source of amusement that just keeps on giving.

I agree 100% percent that both girls are cute but it alone does not carry 70 chapters of manga.

I wonder how old sabu really is? She's apparently pals with Kodama so I guess she cant be too young if we assume theyre about the same age. Kodama has works already dating to the previous decade after all.