Forum › Posts by Klice

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

BE CAREFUL, BEHIND YOU!!!

Klice
Citrus discussion 21 Feb 16:43
joined Jun 23, 2017

They're 16/17 probably, if they started in their 1st year of high school, being 15, and one year passed since the beginning of the story, that would put them at 16yo~.

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 4:44PM

Klice
New Game discussion 21 Feb 16:05
joined Jun 23, 2017

Rin is still adorable <3 It hurt knowing she doesn't have her Yagami close to her...

Klice
Citrus discussion 21 Feb 11:21
joined Jun 23, 2017

I stand corrected then, it's just the idea that late marriage means that there aren't any pressure for marriage altogether seemed a bit wrong to me.

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 11:22AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 21 Feb 11:08
joined Jun 23, 2017

Most Japanese women don't seeing as how the average age for a Japanese woman to marry is 29. Seems to be just an excuse to repeat the plot from volume 1.

Most Japanese women don't live in rich and upper-class society. The rules aren't the same. It's the same problem, but not the same plot. That said, now she seems to be volunteer rather than going with the flow, like in the first volume. And Manager-san isn't (afaik) some freak that would force himself upon Mei; that said, if they want to do what's expected of them...

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 11:10AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 20 Feb 23:25
joined Jun 23, 2017

I actually really want inheriting the school to BE a genuine wish of Mei's. Not a "remnant of her past desires"/"she hates herself" thing but she's genuinely ambitious and wants to do a good job running the school. It would be particularly delicious angst - Yuzu was the one pushing Mei to figure out what she really wanted for herself so she could really fight for it, whoops, turns out Yuzu's encouragement drove her to realize she really wanted that inheritance, even if it means hurting Yuzu. It's as if Yuzu retrospectively, unknowingly shot herself in the foot and it's both hilariously ironic and tragic to me.

That would be so hard on Yuzu, damn. Give her one chance! I think if Mei is really ambitious like that and prioritise her carreer while not caring about her love life, she will never come back to Yuzu. If you want to be ambitious, I think it's best to leave your emotions at the door, as much as possible, and if you need some comfort/affection, you could just pay for some or look for it with you arranged partner. It may a bit too cynical and perhaps I'm wrong, some can combine both, but in Mei's case, it doesn't seem doable; I feel that it won't be good for Yuzu if at 15/16yo Mei is already ambitious enough to sacrifice her love life for the job.

However, if she hates herself, there is still a possibility that after doing some work on herself, she realises she was just refusing herself to be happy and punishing herself. Then she would try to pursue Yuzu, because she would realise that her step-sister counts more than anything else. Mei hating herself is still speculation though, but it's my best guess at the moment.

I don't think Mei actually believe that she doesn't deserved Yuzu. What's stopping her from loving Yuzu is the burden of being an only child and sole heiress of her family's business. she got no choice especially after the talk she had with her grandfather in the car. Mei is just so stubborn to ask for help and just keep her problems on her own.

Perhaps, as I said above the self-hate is speculation (with some solid stuff backing it in my eyes). But then, why make yourself suffer if you don't hate yourself, at least a bit? The tone of the letter, saying that Yuzu almost made her forget about her goals, the fact that she wrote a letter instead of facing her step sister directly makes it clear to me that Mei is suffering as well. Maybe she really is just ambitious and thinks she can take it; and not from some sort of self-sacrifice where she denies her happiness and tries to do good for her family but... If she was fully confident, I think she would have explained all that to Yuzu directly in person.

I don't know, I can't get around my head making yourself suffer and, especially, making the one you love suffer believing it's for their own good ("for your sake" in the letter), if you don't have some self-worth issue. Maybe I'm too wrapped up in my own ideas to see it.

But our girl is too scarred I wonder how it is realistic (a little, even though in Citrus, is expected here). Yuzu is totally dead inside and traumatised. How can she have faith once again in Mei, the girl who told her four-time "yes", when Yuzu asked her if she could love her forever etc.

I wonder... She is still trying to be her happy self, but it's painfully obvious to her friends she doesn't manage to do it. Damn, I can already see Yuzu refusing Mei with the biggest sad/smile saying that Mei would lose everything she worked for if she came back with her step-sister. This could go wrong in so many ways that I could begin to doubt the prospect of happy ending.

Edit Thank you for the translation as always, Chaosteam, however, "fiancée" is feminine (p31), the masculine is "fiancé". We have to wait a bit for Mei to have a fiancée...

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 7:10AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

Yeah it's too bad about the villain, guess it'll make the beat-up even more satisfying (or the lesson even harder for Hanaku). I really want Hana and Koharu relation to fully develop into a apprentice/master relationship, because at first she brought her in here like some kind of mentor but after a little sparring she let her go with the author trainers, which are certainly really good in their domain, but I don't know...

I feel like Hana is Koharu's protégée but it didn't show much. Perhaps Koharu isn't experienced enough to fully train her. Still loving the "I want to become a stronger person" motivation.

Klice
Citrus discussion 20 Feb 11:08
joined Jun 23, 2017

Is anyone in here happy that we'e actually going to see Mei and Yuzu go through this cliche yuri trope of "rich girl will eventually marry a guy in the future" rather than Saboura Uta giving us an inconclusive happy ending where we don't know for certain if Mei and Yuzu will be lifelong married couple after graduating highschool.

Yes, I don't mind cliché and classic tropes if I find them well done. If SU ended the story at the end of the school trip, with or without dropping the arranged marriage, it would've felt incomplete. The whole point is to see the two of them getting happy in a way that'll work in the long term, happily ever after, I guess.

I actually think Mei lied to Yuzu when she said that she decided it for herself because she doesn't want Yuzu to go after her.

Sorry to butt in, but perhaps she believes what she wrote since she (probably) hate herself, so she doesn't deserve to be with Yuzu and prefer to inherit the school; then can it be considered a lie? If Mei thinks she doesn't deserve Yuzu, then no matter how hurt she would be, she'll try to let Yuzu go and separate herself from her step-sister.

Regardless, I still want Mei to chase after Yuzu this time.

I wonder if it'll happen... I think Yuzu is way too much in love with Mei to ever giving her the cold shoulder. My bet is that the very second Mei says "I love you" or something similar, Yuzu will throw herself in Mei's arms. Perhaps I'm wrong though. What needs to be done for Mei is to accept her own desires and sort out her goals. Maybe after that, Mei will try to pursue Yuzu if the latter ever decided to erase Mei from her life.

Damn, that would be even more angst, are you really asking for this?

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 11:15AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 20 Feb 09:36
joined Jun 23, 2017

Well, Mei has just become the antagonist of her own love story with Yuzu. so I guess it's all right to hate her for now. what a b*tch.

That's the problem of self-hating people, in the end, you bring every one who love you (and maybe that you love) to hate you. Because why wouldn't you hate somebody that hates a person you like? This is really, really good angst work. Some won't like it, even if it has been done already, but I like that similarity between BiY and Citrus on this particular subject. Two very different ways of dealing with the same problem (for different reasons).

It’s so damn generic and uninteresting, that’s why we’re pissed. Do people have no crativity over there in Japan?

Disregarding the fact I disagree with you, it's pretty harsh to judge the art of the whole country on just one story, isn't it?

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 9:43AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 19 Feb 18:03
joined Jun 23, 2017

Honestly I'm confused as why people are taking these development this hard [...].

That I can explain for my part and I think it makes sense if you're invested in the characters, or if you place yourself in Yuzu's place (or even in Mei's). As many people said, it's not the destination but how you get there that counts. Of course, if you read the afterwords, you know the author is wishing for a happy ending (meaning she will do it), that doesn't remove the fact that the road towards that happy ending is filled with drawbacks and suffering.

And damn this break-up is suffering. I said I wasn't completely surprised by this chapter because there were still some surprise. I would have thought we'd actually see Mei struggle to make her choice and finally choose Yuzu after some stuff happened that made her realise Yuzu was, for her, the most important thing of all (or I hope she would realise this). So having them break-up and Mei actually making the choice without consulting Yuzu is actually similar to Mei making her choice without consulting us either. We don't see her process of thoughts, nor do we see her struggle (except for one chapter and the previous ones if you know what's coming), so in a way, the time skip SU did is almost on the same scale of betrayal than Mei breaking up with Yuzu through a letter; Yuzu's reaction being our own reactions after SU said betrayal. We were promised that they'd get over everything, but they didn't.

Of course, she just postponed the resolution to an ulterior moment, but it still hurt. The more I think about it, the more this chapter makes sense, the more I find it well done and that it fit in the story - and perhaps I'll think of it as one of the best chapter she did (but I may be pushing it, I didn't think favourite chapters yet); those expressions are maybe some of the best she did as well. The only thing I mad at is the (most likely) wait of two months...

Edit This reminds me, about the arranged marriage, everything is explained in Chapter 33 already. Well, I guess the discussion's over now, anyway.

Mei must realize she deserves Yuzu's love. Question, will this epiphany, about erasing her self-hate, happen by herself or with the help of someone?

Yes! The wait will be too long to have that answer...

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 7:57AM

Klice
xxx discussion 19 Feb 13:55
joined Jun 23, 2017

I read on the artist's twitter they had lost all of their works because of computer problems. They also seem to be the kind of depressed/unsatisfied artist that can't really do work unless they're really in the mood... I hope we could get future works from them, their style and all is really, really good.

But judging by that extra/sequel, it would seem that Akko has fully accepted her feelings :3

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 2:32PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 19 Feb 13:20
joined Jun 23, 2017

I do wonder...does this even have a purpose for this chapter?

To make the intrigue go forward and make people feel bad. To make Yuzu suffer, perhaps. Or to show to Mei that going the way everybody expects you to go isn't the best way for you or your loved ones.

Unless SU goes back on her words, an happy-end is to be expected, but otherwise, it could be a good lesson on how hating on yourself ends up hurting everybody close to you as well.

Re-reading volume 8 to soothe my heart... Knowing what happens later makes it a bit more painful, though.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 1:31PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 19 Feb 12:16
joined Jun 23, 2017

Oof that was hard to read, seeing everyone act normal around Yuzu but knowing she's still devastated. I'm surprised Yuzu saw the letter and didn't attempt a way to get Mei out of the situation. Or maybe she did and we just won't get to see it for a while.

I have the feeling she didn't because she's too kind. Perhaps, not in the same fashion than Mei, since she has little self-confidence, she didn't want to imposer herself on Mei and didn't want to hinder her project, no matter how hard it hurt her.

I have a feeling Matsuri is going to be a major player in getting things back to normal. Although it'd be kind of cheesy, I wonder if she, Harumin and the others are going to step up and help Yuzu out this time instead of it being the other way around for once. Since this chapter focused on them secretly hurting from watching Yuzu pretend things were okay rather than Yuzu herself.

I thought so too, but I kinda want Harumin to be the one ultimately helping Yuzu. It would be like the ultimate proof that their friendship is definitely something special. That said, I think Matsuri kind of give up helping them when she heard about the engagement, so I don't know if she'll do something to make things up again; perhaps I'm wrong.

They were in the story just to cause some rucks, not make it go forward or anything. A Citrus classic, if I must say.

I read on reddit in the anime comments somebody saying that SU could have replaced this story line with any other kind of drama. So the thing we can accuse them of is being kind of generic and forgettable. But they did made thing go forward, in addition to make Yuzu realise she had to consider Mei's feelings, they gave us one of the cutest confession ever.

[...] Mei isn't the only one who Yuzu has change for the better with her warm personality. I really want to see where Harumin stand on her bestfriend's situation. we do have a hunch that she is just playing dumb because as Matsuri said that Harumin is the type of person who doesn't want to be personally involve with other people's problem. but I don't think she will just watch in silent and lowkey help Yuzu just like before.

I can't agree more.

but I really admire Yuzu for respecting Mei's decision even though she was head over heels in love with her. that's effing true love right there. imo Yuzu is just a really great character.

When you love someone, you need to be able to let them go... Yuzu is indeed a very good protagonist of a melodrama - will it become a tragedy at this point?

Klice
Citrus discussion 19 Feb 08:15
joined Jun 23, 2017

I guess she just isn't as keen on traditional Japanese culture like you guys.

Well, there's a (really big) rift between young and old people in Japan on the question of tradition and culture, what should be done, etc. She is/was poor up until now. The fact that she comes as a gyaru in the private school is proof enough that she doesn't understand the world she is entering in. It's not much to do with Japanese culture as a whole (which is in two half atm), but more about rich society culture/tradition. Since Yuzu doesn't seem to be educated in the old traditions, she doesn't know anything about this and it probably doesn't make any sense to her.

So if Mei isn't married gramps is going to sell the school to someone else? No, none of that makes a damn lick of sense.

Well, if Mei and Shou refuses to take over, he won't have any choice when the time to die comes.

She can continue the business without having to pump out kids of her own.

She can't if she wants the business to be still in the family. And I repeat, in Japan, a woman SHOULD be married and MUST have kids, it is expected of her - otherwise, she is badly viewed as somebody who doesn't do her duty for the country. It's a very traditionalist notion, but rich people tend to be traditionalist and have everything to gain by maintaining the status quo, lest they risk to lose their assets.

Mei is the only family member left. It wouldnt be about family status and prestige, and will be her status and prestige. She would become headmistress no matter her marital status. Getting married has absolutely nothing to do with Mei becoming headmistress.

If she is the only family member left, she is the family. Grandpa is dying, what he wants the most is to be sure everything he (or his father) has built is going to stay in his family and that his family will thrives and gain from the business. He is the head of the family, if Mei wants to please her family, she has to inherit the school.

She could become headmistress without marrying, yes, but that would be badly viewed and the rich would stop sending their daughters in the school, because "what is this woman who isn't even married doing here in the first place?". With a husband, it would be more tolerable. They could even make the husband as a front while Mei leads the school from the shadow to calm down the filthy rich.

If Mei wants to keep her family prestige and reputation, she has to marry and bear children. In her eyes, atm, there is no other way and bringing Yuzu along would be too painful for the both of them, hence why she selfishly (even if it was selflessly in her head) decided to break up with her step-sister.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 8:22AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 19 Feb 07:32
joined Jun 23, 2017

So, the time skip is 6-8 months but Yuzu still cried like it was just yesterday. everyone has this worried expression on their face while lookimg at Yuzu. I don't want Yuzu to turn into a more darker character but this turn of events will greatly change her view about love.

That is the most hurtful thing, I wonder if it will go into the depression route, if Mei is too much to handle even for the one of the most positive character. Perhaps this could be another way of resolving thing : Mei seeing how much her decision has impacted Yuzu.

For now, Mei is convinced her decision is for the best and that Yuzu is able to get over her and be happy without her. Yuzu can't handle the sadness, does nothing, all of her friends try to cheer her up but don't succeed. They all know what they could do but don't want to see her face. And, what if, best friend Harumin is the one to go see Mei? As in a final confrontation against the authority she was afraid of and prevented her from fully expressing herself; she goes see Mei, tell her what's what and bring her to confront Yuzu face to face...

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I should keep a cool head and welcome the story as it is!

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 7:36AM

Klice
Lemonade discussion 18 Feb 21:52
joined Jun 23, 2017

I don't get why people are complaining about a perfect ending, sure it's cheesy but you edge lords gotta have a happy ending one in a while...especially since it's rare in the yuri world

If I can add my two cents, it's because there's no indication that her friend was interested in girl in the first place. We can always justify it by saying there's bi people, but the story didn't take time to show it.

I guess I can excuse it since there's a (big?) time skip, so perhaps the friend learned of unknown feelings for the MC during that period - even if it apparently happened when somebody else confessed to the MC (the mirror about the start of the main story is funny).

So yeah, it's happy but it looks a bit forced.

Klice
Citrus discussion 18 Feb 21:07
joined Jun 23, 2017

Except, again, those two are not connected. Continuing her family lineage has absolutely nothing to do with becoming headmistress. It's two completely separate issues.

But they are, the school IS the family business/heritage. Just like for any children of a rich CEO from a big company, continuing the family "lineage" clearly means continuing the family business and inheriting the company; so the family can continue to prosper and have money thanks to it, one of the children has to take over.

For the family to keep its status and prestige, one of its member must be at the head of the school. Since her father doesn't want to do it, if Mei wants her family to keep all its advantages, heritage and prestige, she has to become headmistress. Or her future husband could if he's adopted, but he still has to be part of the family, so marriage..

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 9:17PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 18 Feb 20:31
joined Jun 23, 2017

I think it probably has been mentioned already, but more than a person that run away from her feelings and insecurities, Mei is essentially hating herself. I've started to think about it since I read this fanfiction of Mei's pov on reddit, but it makes sense. Hating yourself is some kind of haven where if you fail, it's okay since you weren't going to succeed in the first place.

And what's more frightening than a person that loves you? Someone that can make you see yourself in a better light, that can give you confidence and make you feel more hopeful? Because when everything is going to fail, and it will, you'll only fall from a higher place and it'll hurt even more.

So in order to avoid this, Mei takes shelter in the "good girl" role : since she is doing everything that is expected of her, it's a good thing, right? Since she will hurt Yuzu if she stays with her, it's best to remove herself from her step-sister's life? It's all for the best, it's fine if Mei suffers a bit because of it, since it's all for the good of the family and for Yuzu's sake, who will get over it eventually, because Mei wasn't worth it, in the end; should she go back to Yuzu, she will just make her suffer more. What's better than sacrificing a bit of yourself for the greater good?

That's one take on the whole story, Mei hates herself more than she loves Yuzu, probably? I can get why people hate/dislike her then : self-loathing people can be a pain to deal with, even more so if you love them. Now Mei needs to learn to love herself so she can find Yuzu again, I guess. I don't know how that will happen, though, since Yuzu was probably her best chance...

Too bad Yuzu isn't in the theatre club...

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 7:44AM

Klice
Citrus discussion 18 Feb 13:40
joined Jun 23, 2017

Might as well say "I get offended at literally everything and I just cannot stand when people don't see things the way I see them" then. Ignore what you know you can't tolerate rather than making yourself look desperate 24/7. I have noticed this pattern in your posting, hence my aggressiveness. Nonetheless, I apologize for my language, I can't seem to think twice most times before posting.

Not really. Well, if you read my most recent posts it appears that way, but in that case I just took it too personally; and also the fact that I get (very) passionate when I disagree with something. I apologise as well for my petty taunts.

The entire manga was like this, though? There were maybe 4-5 chapters where they were dating where I could almost see Mei try to step out of her comfort bubble and open up to Yuzu, easing the pain she has put her through.

Can't really argue against that, I could disagree with the number of chapters, but yes the whole story is about pain and angst, mainly for Yuzu. I guess the fact that people react that strongly about it proves that Saburouta created a very good character (at least one you can empathise with) and excels at emotionally torturing her.

Harumin is also a witness to that fact given how much people love her, and I think Matsuri has really well evolved. Mei still looks like a hopeless case somehow, not completely in my book, she just acts like people that run away from their feelings/insecurities.

Isn't it sad, becoming aware that Yuzu's happy moments were her being blissfully ignorant and borderline delusional, because Mei claims she loves her but then contradicts herself by stating she is doing all of this for her own sake?

It is, it shows how much Yuzu is in love with Mei, and how this love can only exist if they ignore what (their) society tells them. And I think (well more like know, because that's what the author decided, but that may be too meta), Mei is in love with her but just can't let go of the values she grew up with (yet). It's just as she wrote : in order to uphold those values, she can't bring herself to face Yuzu lest she would probably drop everything. And Yuzu being too kind for her own good probably doesn't want to go after her in order to let Mei follow her goals; I'm assuming that's the case otherwise I guess it would've been shown.

So, are you implying that it is better for a lesbian to marry a guy and live a loveless life with children? Because you can't really chose to be gay, you know? And what if her marriage falls apart, because she can't give the man the sex he wants, because she just doesn't like penis?

This is an arranged marriage, I don't know how love get into the equation, but I'm pretty sure it can (and should) work out without it. It's not a love marriage.

It's not mature to just accept that society is fucked up. Where would we be if everyone had always ever accepted it?

It worked for a long time, from society's pov, maybe not from an individual's pov or for one's happiness. But I guess we have to throw away some stuff that people can't accept any more in order to evolve in a certain direction.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 1:44PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 22:06
joined Jun 23, 2017

[...] so now you had to grasp at straws with someone else, huh. Plan on stalking me as well?

No, nor was it my intention for Cannibal, really. I felt insulted, I responded accordingly, that was more verbal jousting than anything else. I guess I shouldn't have.

Mei. It goes a little bit like this: ATTA girl, Mei, good BOI, Mei, be a slave to your family and honor them while neglecting Yuzu who you absolutely know has been working hard for your sorry ass. Here, have your academy and miserable married life!

Basically yes,. On one hand, you can live a loving life with your step-sister but lose your heritage, knowing that love faltters in time and you're not sure it will work out in the long run.

On the other hand, you have as steady business that works and could help your family prosper should you have one yourself in the future. Something that has some weight in society and gives you advantages. Perhaps it's my fault looking at it through a practical lens, but it can make sense to make this choice, even if it's not what you could expect from a romance story.

Completely cutting off Yuzu is a dick move, but that doesn't make the story bad, just a melodrama. I'm glad we had an explanation from Mei though.

I think there was a question about how far the anime will go (or was it elsewhere?) but I can't find the post, my guess that it'll end at vol4 (since the sisters appear). Going to vol5 without doing vol6 would be weird since this is some kind of transition volume focusing on the friendship between Yuzu and Harumin, and I'd wager they'd need more episode to cover everything up to vol6.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 11:50PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 19:15
joined Jun 23, 2017

And before any outraged reaction ("WAHHH why are you reading something you hate") [...]

"hahahaha I want attention so I mock a story you like and call you delusional to show you how much smarter and enlightened I am compared to you". Here! Have your little sugar of attention, good boy!

[...] they are either incoherent or downright too damn ridiculous to take seriously to begin with.

They're not though.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 7:19PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 17:23
joined Jun 23, 2017

May-e, from the anime. I've always pronounced it Maye in my head.

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 16:47
joined Jun 23, 2017

Mei is the source of her own suffering.
Its sad that she's trapped in a prison of her own dreams and expectations, but what's truly painful is that she's making Yuzu suffer because of it.

Well said. Now time to get out of this prison!

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 16:09
joined Jun 23, 2017

Can someone tell me in which chapter the big sister and glasses girl gave a hint on their future romance? ( i saw that in
this chapter they were together). I do not remember them ever giving the hint of being in love with each other.

I think it's one of the extras, perhaps the one in vol5 but I'm not sure. But it's most probably in one of the extra where the big sister hints at a sistercomplex. So perhaps their interaction in here gave some hints.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 4:10PM

Klice
Citrus discussion 17 Feb 16:02
joined Jun 23, 2017

(even if it is not as hardcore anymore as it used to be in Japan)

I heard it depends of which generation you are, depending if you're an old ass or a young idiot. The old are still attached to traditions, Japan is split between those two camps, from what I learned, and, at the moment, the old are still in the lead (and I'd wager they are even more in the lead in richer circle).

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 4:03PM