Forum › Posts by Ultraxion

joined Mar 15, 2015

The "can't visit you in the hospital" thing she mentioned will no longer be a problem. As of november 1. Tokyo will recognise same sex couples.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/15/tokyo-same-sex-japan-lgbtq/

That's good to hear.

Incidentally, regarding other bits about same-sex marriages, I noticed a few things while reading the Renta! translation.

1)The Renta! translation has Risa and Haruki always use first names, so the part in which Risa starts to call Haruki "Haruki-san" but corrects herself to say "Shiina-senpai"(implying they use surnames around each other out of professionalism or to keep their relationship secret) doesn't get included.

2)There were a few notable differences with the part about the hospitals and apartments, such as omitting the part in which Risa starts by saying it won't stop her from taking Haruki to the hospital if necessary, but I can't completely recall them.

3)The Renta! translation is a bit vaguer about where Risa and Haruki can live if they want to get married and/or adopt, with Haruki only mentioning that such places exist.

4)On a minor note, Ryouji(or Maki?) doesn't make a reference to it not being safe for women to go out alone in the Renta! translation.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I find it rather interesting that everyone knows that Aizawa died, but the cause of death was never actually disclosed. Then again, when Page 9 of Chapter 1 says, "The reason she died wasn't in any of the news," maybe it's talking about whether her death was an accident, suicide, or murder.

It's also possible that Aizawa herself doesn't know why she died or who was responsible. Remember that in Coco, Hector didn't realize why he died or who was responsible until midway through the movie, decades after his death. Of course, she might have a clue that the living don't know about, one that can help solve the mystery even if she doesn't have enough information or sleuthing skills to do it herself.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Also, can she not talk/make a sound? I know 90% of this manga’s text just seems to be the inner thoughts of our protagonist, but it seems like the ghost girl can’t even say anything?

That seems to be the impression I got so far, which is unfortunate. By comparison, Heart of the Woods had Abigail initially unable to speak to Madison, but she could understand what Madison was saying and had some ability to communicate nonverbally(for example, pointing out her name in a book of baby names) even before Madison died and became a ghost, at which point they could talk normally. Here, it's unclear whether Aizawa even knows that Kurotori can see her, so I hope that they can actually get to the point of having non-verbal communication, if not actual conversation, in the near future.

joined Mar 15, 2015

While the series was rather rushed overall, I think the last chapter ended the series as well as could be expected.

I actually think having the wedding at the end be for another couple is a good touch. It shows that Haruki has come to terms with the fact that she and Risa won't be getting married any time soon, thereby overcoming her main character flaw. Having the law suddenly change and allowing them to get married would feel like a copout.

The series has some interesting points about discrimination against same-sex couples in Japan, such as about same-sex couples having difficulty in getting apartments together.

All in all, the series could have definitely stood to be longer, preferably 3-6 volumes rather than chapters, but it was reasonably enjoyable, nevertheless.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm glad that they finally got around to having Aya find out that Mitsuki is a girl, so it seems as though she'll now have to work through her feelings. Things will undeniably be awkward between them, but the fact that they're working together for the school festival means that they'll probably have to talk things through sooner or later.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Incidentally, after seeing the scanlation for Chapter 46(last chapter of Volume 9), I have a question. When the chapter shows a slip of paper that Goeido gives to Kanoko with her contact information, the official localization has "Yoko Gouto" written there while the scanlation has "Youko Goeido." Is the former supposed to be Goeido's real name, with Goeido being her assumed last name in the salon?

You're right - Gotou is her real surname, while Goeidou is her salon name. Thanks for catching that mistake in the scanlation. The pages have now been reuploaded on Mangadex.

You're welcome. Of course, the localization isn't infallible; in the localization Chapter 43, Kanoko tells Sumika, "At first, you'd been saying that she should quit," when in fact, Kanoko's saying that Sumika has stopped trying to get Kanoko to give up on her crush on Hime.

I'm personally looking forward to the next few chapters. It's becoming clear that Sumika doesn't have the entire story of what happened between Nene and Goeido, since she's missing some details, evidently never having realized that Nene had a crush on Sumika. On the other hand, Mai, who's more reasonable about Goeido than Sumika is, is unpleasantly surprised that Goeido showed up, and politely hints that she doesn't want Goeido around any longer than necessary. I also suspect it's not a coincidence that Goeido showed up on Sumika's day off(maybe Shinooka told her about it)

EDIT: I noticed at the end of Chapter 48 of the fan translation- some words got mixed up, in "I want to put an to end things properly."

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 2:52PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

I think some people misunderstand the reason for Kurumi's jealousy, she's not just jealous because Rio is there with them (although she does seem to regret inviting her to sit down) but because Rio evidently knows a side of Ruriko that she has little to no access to. Ruriko speaks informal with her even though she still calls her own wife "Kurumi-san", she has obviously discussed romance with Rio too, which Ruriko and Kurumi haven't (for obvious reasons, as Ruriko is 100% seriously into Kurumi), etc. So I'd say its less that Kurumi believes Rio is going to snatch away her wife, but rather that she's shocked how a seeming stranger can have so much more intimate knowledge of her wife than she does

That's an interesting observation, but to play Devil's Advocate, perhaps Ruriko's use of informal language on Rio implies that she doesn't respect her the way she does Kurumi.

My prediction is that Kurumi will think that they're in love, according to the rule that the two of them can break up if they find other people. There will probably be a flashback chapter elaborating on Ruriko and Rio's relationship, showing that Ruriko feels some combination of irritation, pity and affection for Rio, in varying qualities, but she's through with Rio now. By the end of the arc, Kurumi and Ruriko will probably take another step toward becoming an actual couple, if not completing the process.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm personally hoping that this arc actually leads to Aya realizing that Mitsuki is the "guy" from the record shop. Aya already knows that Mitsuki likes music, so that's a fairly significant clue right there, and perhaps spending time with Mitsuki in her school identity will allow Aya to figure out the rest. I also hope that the series continues for some time afterward and is able to develop their relationship after Aya figures out who Mitsuki is.

I reread Mitsuki's profile, and it mentions she has a childhood friend in another class. I suspect this friend will show up later.

joined Mar 15, 2015

This is one of my favorite one-shots. Rather than try to tell an entire romance story in a few pages, it shows, rather than tells, conveying a great deal of information in a few pages and no dialogue.

Because the story shows, rather than tells, there's a lot of room for interpretation as to how much the NEET changed her life(wearing the suit implies she got a job or is at least going to interviews), and how much she just did it to impress her girlfriend. The NEET could be shocked that her girlfriend isn't how she first seemed, either- the girlfriend is more well-dressed in the prior pages than she is in the final one(with the exception being their makeout session on Page 4).

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Tags updated, and cool news. May the yuri wrestling federation continue!

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1515250474399637504

Hey, sorry to bother you. I wanted to know if it would be possible to upload here the latest scanlated chapters of this manga.
I understand that licensed series are prohibited from doing so, but I'm curious because there are other manga, like Whisper me a Love Song, that are being uploaded despite having been licensed. Thank you.

I can't speak for the mods, but there are three types of licensed series on this site.
1)Licensed series that continue getting scanlations even after the licensing(Whisper)
2)Licensed series that stop getting new scanlated chapters after they're licensed (Crescent Moon and Doughnuts)
3)Licensed series that not only stop getting new scanlated chapters after being licensed,but the existing scanlated chapters are removed (Yuri is my Job)

It seems to be a question of enforcement, and #3 is probably what is supposed to happen. Now that the chapters have been taken down, I don't think they'll ever be uploaded.

Incidentally, after seeing the scanlation for Chapter 46(last chapter of Volume 9), I have a question. When the chapter shows a slip of paper that Goeido gives to Kanoko with her contact information, the official localization has "Yoko Gouto" written there while the scanlation has "Youko Goeido." Is the former supposed to be Goeido's real name, with Goeido being her assumed last name in the salon?

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

There's a funny error in the description of this manga:
"The 16-year old Nagisa is her sister's stepson, suddenly sent to live with Ai when his parents left for an overseas job. Wary like cats, these two loners 10 years apart in age will have to make a new life together."

On literally the written line of the first panel of the first page, it says that it is Ai's 30th birthday. That means that they are 14 years apart, not 10 years apart!

That's a good catch. Then again, it's not quite as bad as Funimation's description of the Otherside Picnic anime saying that Sorawo and Toriko are high school students, not college students.

It's good that the story is addressing the taboo nature of a potential relationship between Ai and Nagisa, as well as how Ai, as the adult, would take the brunt of the backlash if their relationship came to light. Most age gap romances that I know of have the younger person take the initiative to confess first, but the idea that confessing could cause problems for Ai will strongly discourage Nagisa from saying anything about his feelings.

It's nice to see the story proceed at a slow burn, but I hope they don't drag things out for too long. I'd like to see Nagisa confess within the next few chapters.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

It seems to be off to a good start. I'm especially interested in seeing more of the events leading up to You Yuan's resignation.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Out of curiosity, is Ritsu the protagonist's full first name, or is it short for Ritsuka? If it's the latter, then that might explain why people call her "Zuka-chan."

I think it's bc of her last name. Tsukada > Tsuka > Zuka

also, according to this tweet, this is indeed the final chapter (of the "main story" if twitter autotranslate can be trusted)
https://twitter.com/ComicNewtype/status/1552852709467881474

Thanks for explaining. I had a suspicion that her last name played some part in inspiring her nickname, but wanted to be sure. The other "Zuka-chan" I'm familiar with is Shirobako's Shizuka Sakaki- "Zuka-chan" to her yearmates Aoi "Oi-chan" Miyamori and Ema Yasuhara(no nickname), and "Zuka-chan-sempai" to her kohais Misa "Mii-chan" Toudou and Midori "Ri-chan" Imai.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I assume that it's the last chapter, since Ritsu accomplished her goal(for the moment) and because of the timeskip to a year later, but I don't see any sort of "Fin" or "The End" that I can tell. I'd like some official confirmation on whether the series is over.

Out of curiosity, is Ritsu the protagonist's full first name, or is it short for Ritsuka? If it's the latter, then that might explain why people call her "Zuka-chan."

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

This is an interesting premise, but I hope that Kurotori can not only see Aizawa, but also communicate with her. It would be interesting to see what kinds of conversations they might have and for Kurotori to learn more about Aizawa, such as how she died.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I checked the manga out on Renta, and I noticed some significant differences in the translation in which Aita(which is how her name is spelled here) gossips about Takase after Kazema gets fired. Specifically, I'm referring to the panel after Aida says Takase should have been fired instead.

In the JapanStandard translation, one of Aida's coworkers points out that she was always on her side, but Aida replies that it was her obligation, and it would look bad for her if Takase quit(which Takase does anyway). In the Renta translation, Aita is the only one who speaks in that panel, and says that "After all, he(Kazema) did help her a lot with work. I'm the one who has to take the downfall of losing him," which implies that Aita thinks Kazema is more of an asset than Takase is, a bit like how she said in a previous scene that Kazema was good at his work despite sexually harassing his coworkers.

It's a relatively minor difference, since the point of the entire scene is that Aida/Aita doesn't care for Takase at all, but the difference between the explanations for her disdain for Takase are interesting, and I'd be curious to know which is more accurate.

EDIT: There's another instance of this later on in the first chapter. After realizing that Rinko really is nice and that she was just being paranoid earlier, Takase thinks, "It turns out that I'm no different than those who despise me" in the JapanStandard translation, but "She's not like the people I hated" in the Renta! translation.

It's also a bit disappointing that neither translation includes honorifics; I assume Rinko and her grandmother use "-san" on Takase, but it's unclear what, if any, honorifics, Takase uses on Rinko.

All in all, this manga was fairly good, but a bit too short and somewhat rushed as a result. I would have liked to see a few chapters building up Rinko and Takase's relationship, at least a whole chapter on Rinko's old job after some buildup to it, a few chapters between Rinko's grandmother is hospitalized and when Takase stays over with her, at least a chapter or two after Rinko gets transferred, and a few chapters in the denouement, among others. There's a lot of potential in the story that could have been realized with enough time for proper buildup.

last edited at Jul 22, 2022 7:53PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

That's like 4 drama cliches in quick succession (^^) A bit lazy writing wise but it's a short story so I guess the author can't waste too much time kicking things into gear. Oh well, I like the characters enough to get over that pretty easy. I would have liked it even more if they had a bit more time though, it does feel very rushed. I hope they'll get to have a nice conclusion in the final chapter.

That's part of the reason why I think this series should have been longer. If it was, then they could have had an arc about Shiina resolving her issues with her ex, rather than cramming that, Shiina and Takagai's reconciliation and the denouement into one chapter.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Oh fuck off Japan, calling 52.6kg overweight for an adult woman. God I hope no one reads this as a serious weight-loss manga over there, they'll bloody kill themselves.

While I agree that it's probably be better to deal with a more average person, a weight in the lower 40s of kg isn't unusual for a serious, young, female, long distance runner. If they'd said she was a gymnast, if probably would have been more believable, but still not an average person for sure.

And yes, there is a disconnect between the kind of training that a long distance runner does to get there, and the kind of low calorie diet plus light exercise that this manga is using, but that doesn't mean that everything held within is bad advice.

The recipes themselves seem pretty normal for diet food.

I'm reminded of a scene in Sword Art Online in which Asuna and her mother Kyouko log into ALO, the latter for the first time. Kyouko remarks that her avatar feels light, and Asuna says that's natural, since the avatar weighs about 40 kg. They then get into an uncharacteristically lighthearted debate over who's "fat" in real life(which Asuna notes is the first time she's had a conversation about nothing with her mother). Because of that, I found that 40kg as an end goal was rather light, although noting that it's the low end of Ritsu's desired range makes sense.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

The anime trailer looks promising, although I wonder what the studio will pick as the stopping point for the first season. The end of the election arc seems like the most logical point.

I can understand why people don't like Kanoko, but we're not supposed to see her obsession with Hime as healthy. Even Hime, who's unaware of Kanoko's true feelings for her, is glad that Kanoko made another friend.

As for Sumika, I think Sumika sees a little of herself in Kanoko, since it's implied that she had unrequited feelings for Nene(although she claims they're non-romantic). Sumika was willing to grudgingly step aside and let Nene get together with Goeido, but then Goeido callously dumped Nene, so Sumika realizes it's not always easy to accept it when the person you love loves someone who may not actually be a good match for them(remember, Hime and Mitsuki's relationship has had its ups and downs, so maybe Kanoko dislikes Mitsuki because she thinks she won't treat Hime well). It helps that Kanoko trusts Sumika enough to tell her about her unrequited love enough for Hime.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Big yikes on the end of ch4. MC probably feeling pressure from meeting the ex and took "couldn't be happier" a little too seriously. Hope it doesn't get gross from here...

In case you're wondering and don't mind spoilers, Takagai(the kohai) tells Shiina(the MC) no in no uncertain terms and Shiina backs off, but this ends up causing things to be awkward between them until halfway through the final chapter.

If you'd like to see it for yourself, go check out the series on Renta! It only costs $2 to rent the remaining two chapters and see the rest of the story. Even the free preview for Chapter 5 resolves the cliffhanger.

I'm a bit tired of the drama on the discussion forum surrounding this chapter. I hope that once more people see how the rest of the story plays out, they'll calm down a bit.

Ultraxion
Baumkuchen discussion 01 Jul 19:08
joined Mar 15, 2015

So is "Miss K" named because her name was Keiko and "Miss N" has a name that starts with N, or because she was the eleventh woman the protagonist had feelings for, and "Miss N" is the fourteenth?

given that there's implied to have been a miss A, and B, and C... Yeah they might just be getting named according to each sequential letter of the alphabet.

That's why I considered the sequential letters theory, but I still wonder if it's a coincidence that Keiko is Miss K.

It reminds me of a one-shot by Rumiko Takahashi called "Multiplying Wives." A man named Morishita gets a tail in the mail from Keiko Matsuzaka, which eventually turns into a woman named Aiko- or "I-ko." Morishita marries Aiko, who loses her tail, and eventually, they attend a class reunion hosted by Morishita's classmate Matsuzaka. All the men at the reunion have identical-looking wives. It's implied that Aiko was born from Keiko's tail, and one can assume that each woman's first name is the phonetic spelling of an English letter followed by "-ko."

last edited at Jul 1, 2022 7:09PM

Ultraxion
Baumkuchen discussion 01 Jul 16:08
joined Mar 15, 2015

So is "Miss K" named because her name was Keiko and "Miss N" has a name that starts with N, or because she was the eleventh woman the protagonist had feelings for, and "Miss N" is the fourteenth?

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm not too surprised by how Nagisa turned the other girl down. She was introduced too late and received too little buildup to be a viable love interest.

As for Nagisa and Ai, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of Nagisa getting together with his stepmother's younger sister, but I'm still curious as to how the story deals with this and what the ramifications of their relationship are.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I think this is Yvonne asking Yuna for help because she wants someone to stop her, even if it doesn't help.

Yeah, that's kinda how I saw it too.

So did I.

I'm also a bit curious as to why they ended with Yvonne claiming that she's actually bullying Elsa. Perhaps it's meant to delay Yuna's reaction until the next chapter, but I doubt that Yvonne's statement would be very convincing by itself.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Well, that was dumb. The explanation for the curse doesn't really make sense (Why did it hit Natsuki and not Ai? Why would suicide trigger it? Why is it hitting people she's met once and not classmates?), and as a study of murderers it falls apart pretty badly by the end (No one acts like Aoya, and Tokiko is an iffy take on psychopathy)

Most interesting as a look into the author's growth; it has similar themes to Satsuki, but goes about much of the execution in almost the exact opposite way:

• Walk's pacing is absolute shit past the first volume -> Satsuki is super episodic
  • Walk spends much of it's time pretending that a serial killer is somehow a viable explanation for what we saw -> Liar Satsuki Can See Death
  • Tokiko is alien and unpleasant -> Satsuki is still kinda alien, but fun and has a more socially-acceptable moral code
  • Walk has too many characters, bogging the whole thing down -> Satstuki's supporting cast just sort of disappears when they're not involved in a story

I disagree with the claim that Walk has "too many characters." Six out of 16 die in the first four chapters, which leaves ten recurring characters. If anything, the problem is that most are underdeveloped and lack any real personality.