Forum › Posts by johnb

johnb
C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I can't get a read on the nature of these girls' relationship. I thought we had established Hino's physical attraction to Koguma chapters ago.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Not to harsh on the premise, but even blurry eyed, and sleep deprived, you should be able to tell a woman, from a dog. That kind of mistake usually takes powerful hallucinogens to make. Of course, I've never been up 3 days in a row, so what do I know.

funny enough at the 3rd day of not sleeping you do hallucinate

Yeah I remembered learning that in health class back in highschool, while I was writing the post. However I still wanted to use the post, because I took the time to look up how to spell halucingens, so I just added the end disclaimer.

joined Sep 1, 2017

two thoughts on the second chapter. My first thought is about pg. 14 bottom left panel. How can something be nervewracking, an calming at the same time.
My second thought is, I pretty sure stakers, don't see themselves as stakers.

last edited at May 20, 2019 12:56AM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Also, why's everyone so freaked out, don't men pee together all the time?

Because men usually don't mind being watched peeing by other men so it's fine. If Koguma don't mind being watched peeing then it'll be fine too but the problem here is that she clearly doesn't want to be watched.

Watching another man take a leek is a complete breech of men's room etiquette. You go in do your business, you get out. If you have to look, you keep your line of sight at eye level.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

It just dawned on me, this whole series is like a game we use to play back in middle school called chicken. To play, the boy would put his hand on the girl's foot or ankle, then move it incrementally up her leg. After every move, the boy would ask "Are you chicken?". If she said yes, the boy would have to stop.
Essentially Hino and Koguma are playing chicken, and they both let the game get out of hand. Either one of them could have said "wait this is going to far." So It's both of their faults. And now It's awkward for everyboby, including the reader.
Honestly while, I found myself a little weirded out by these developments, I didn't have nearly as strong reaction as other people has seemed to have. It makes me wonder, am I jaded?

last edited at May 19, 2019 11:57AM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

P.S. Koguma should invest in a pair of hand cuffs.

She doesn't need to invest in one. She can just ask Hino to make her one. At least that way both quality and comfort (less chafing) can be accounted for.

That would be kind of funny, seeing I was thinking Koguma could use the handcuffs to cuff Hino to her desk, then Koguma could use the bathroom in peace. After all Hino openly admitted she's a flight risk.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Damnit I thought we had gotten over the "It's okay because we're both girls" hurdle, already. Don't even let me get started on the "now I can't get married" remark. The last three chapters, kind of feels like a bit of a deescalation to they're relationship.
Plus, two girls holding hands automatically means they're dating, but going to the same bathroom stall together, isn't embarrassing, because they're both girls? Something isn't adding up.

Unless my memory fails me, I'm certain that a big hurdle/moment in Bright & Cheery Amnesia is that even though they're already a pair, giving a kiss is a big deal. Even though they're already a couple, one might feel that 'two girls kissing' is a markedly unique thing for they themselves to get over. It's a personal boundary issue, I feel.

No, You got me all wrong. My point wasn't that Koguma freaked about using the bathroom stall, with an audience. Of course she did, lots of married couples don't even do their business, in front of one another. My point was, I thought Hino and Koguma were past the whole "We're both girls, so there is no reason to be embarrassed around me." thing. One chapter the pair seems to be on the verge of actually starting to date, and two chapters later, they're talking like two girls dating is an unknown concept, to them.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Just an fyi same sex marriage, is legal in all 50 of our beautiful United States

oh is that so, I actually thought it was most of USA but didn't know the actual number and I didn't wanna assume but glad to know it was the whole USA lol

We can thank Obama for it. God I want him back.

Politics is also off topic but just to correct misinformation, Obama had nothing to do with it. Thanks is entirely due to the Supreme Court. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obergefell_v._Hodges

Yeah I know, but he did help push for it.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Damnit I thought we had gotten over the "It's okay because we're both girls" hurdle, already. Plus, two girls holding hands automatically means they're dating, but going to the same bathroom stall together, isn't embarrassing, because they're both girls? Something isn't adding up.

last edited at May 19, 2019 2:55AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Not to harsh on the premise, but even blurry eyed, and sleep deprived, you should be able to tell a woman, from a dog. That kind of mistake usually takes powerful hallucinogens to make. Of course, I've never been up 3 days in a row, so what do I know.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

You know, there is a "Men not found" tag on this story. Maybe they live in a world where, hand holding between girls, is more suggestive, because girls dating each other, is the norm.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Just an fyi same sex marriage, is legal in all 50 of our beautiful United States

oh is that so, I actually thought it was most of USA but didn't know the actual number and I didn't wanna assume but glad to know it was the whole USA lol

We can thank Obama for it. God I want him back.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

I just didn't think of google until you suggested it, okay. Of course I immediately did google it after you so kindly reminded me. And google wasn't an dick about it, either.

Edit: tbh if you would have just answered the question, then added your snarky comment, I would have thanked you, then quietly felt stupid. However not including the answer was a total dick move.

If I had simply answered the question you wouldn't have looked it up on google and the neural pathway that is now forming where you simply google a question instead of asking it in a thread wouldn't have started. It wasn't a dick move, it was for your own personal growth. You're welcome.

And I was just teaching you, how not to come off as a pompous condescending jackass, on the message boards. Your welcome.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Well aren't you overgeneralizing a lot there. Unfortunate as that is for you, it's not the standard at all. Asia is a pretty big place.

Let's forget other countries, Japanese girls hold each others hands and kiss each other on the cheeks frequently. And that's just "friendship". I know we Yuri fans make that "omg handholding" jokes a lot, but it's the least homosexual thing two girls can do. Unless this whole joke is supposed to be sarcastic. Then I'm sorry for bringing this up, I just found it a little weird. Even if it's a manga that's supposed to exaggerate things.

I've been wondering about that, in the Middle East women holding hands is completely normal and no one would think you're gay. I always thought it was weird in America it's stigmatized

I don't think it is necessarily stigmatized in America. I think it depends on the crowd, your in.

This ^ tbh, though it is also kind of country related. As someone living in Belgium, handholding once reaching adolescence is extremely uncommon. The few times I did see 2 girls/women walking hand in hand, they were kissing each other as well (in a pretty gay gf kind of way). Locking arms however, I would say is common (especially between girls in younger years of adolescence, or between family members) and not at all seen as gay. I feel like holding hands is more gay than locking arms.

In Middle East, holding hands/hugging/kissing is completely normal between women or girls, even between men, most of our greetings includes hugging and soft kisses on the cheeks. and in rare emotional cases, on the head(but obviously never on the mouth) no one will ever cross their mind that you're gay, unless you exaggerate in doing it. however, it's all in terms of friendliness and affability. cuz, well, we're homophobic af. and it's kinda ironic even though in some states in America homosexual marriages are allowed but it's still seen weird for same-gender people to hold hands? why? maybe they feel concious of the fact that gay people exist and they don't want to be regarded as gay, maybe? idk.

That's why, I have trouble in yuri subtext, anime like K-on, Kiniro Mosaic, Love Live..etc I could never see them as yuri or even subtext. however, some works like Manaria Friends and Mahou Shoujo Site, anyone could see that they contain yuri, because of the obvious and unusual deep fond between the characters plus the cinematography focus on the looks between the characters, blushes, deep dialogue, innerthoughts..etc while in many other anime, they depict homosexuality as a fetish, when they show pointless kisses or overly sexual gay side characters.

Edit: regarding the new chapter, I believe the reason their classmates were surprised is because they didn't think those two would be getting along, and all suddenly they're holding hands in the hallway. and I think them thinking they're going out is a bit exaggerating on the author side. I don't think IRL people would think you're gay because of that, at least in japan. and then again, I guess it depends on the country and it's culture. also, I've always been curious about the norm among yuri authors that all-girls schools tend to have girls confessing to other girls and prince-like idols. I wonder if it's true IRL or it's just made-up fantasy?

Just an fyi same sex marriage, is legal in all 50 of our beautiful United States.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

For not trying to be a dick, you sure nailed it. I mean it was a good suggestion, but really really RUDE!

But why don’t you just google it already?

I just didn't think of google until you suggested it, okay. Of course I immediately did google it after you so kindly reminded me. And google wasn't an dick about it, either.

Edit: tbh if you would have just answered the question, then added your snarky comment, I would have thanked you, then quietly felt stupid. However not including the answer was a total dick move.

last edited at May 18, 2019 3:47AM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

What does tbh stand for?

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but if you'd bothered to type that exact question into Google, you'd know already.

For not trying to be a dick, you sure nailed it. I mean it was a good suggestion, but really really RUDE!

last edited at May 18, 2019 1:29AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

In ch.5 pg24, lower left panel, what did Kazuki mean by "pretendin' they're minted"?

She's basically saying "someone sitting in a cheap restaurant and acting like they're rich"

That makes way more sense than, my guess, of pretending to drunk.

joined Sep 1, 2017

In ch.5 pg24, lower left panel, what did Kazuki mean by "pretendin' they're minted"?

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Well aren't you overgeneralizing a lot there. Unfortunate as that is for you, it's not the standard at all. Asia is a pretty big place.

Let's forget other countries, Japanese girls hold each others hands and kiss each other on the cheeks frequently. And that's just "friendship". I know we Yuri fans make that "omg handholding" jokes a lot, but it's the least homosexual thing two girls can do. Unless this whole joke is supposed to be sarcastic. Then I'm sorry for bringing this up, I just found it a little weird. Even if it's a manga that's supposed to exaggerate things.

I've been wondering about that, in the Middle East women holding hands is completely normal and no one would think you're gay. I always thought it was weird in America it's stigmatized

I don't think it is necessarily stigmatized in America. I think it depends on the crowd, your in.

This ^ tbh, though it is also kind of country related. As someone living in Belgium, handholding once reaching adolescence is extremely uncommon. The few times I did see 2 girls/women walking hand in hand, they were kissing each other as well (in a pretty gay gf kind of way). Locking arms however, I would say is common (especially between girls in younger years of adolescence, or between family members) and not at all seen as gay. I feel like holding hands is more gay than locking arms.

What does tbh stand for?

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Well they were blushing and acting lovey-dovey, so I don't think it's that far-fetched to react that way, especially in high-school where literally everything is drama.

Well if you put it like that...

There is a difference between stigmatization and unusual behavior. Yes, they can hold hands, but the way it is done just is very different depending on the mood. This isn't 20 years ago, people are aware that lesbians exist and are probably even curious about it. How serious they take that gossip is another matter...

I grew up in a rural area, where most people have no idea how homosexuality works. Maybe that's why this whole situation seems weird for me.

I grew up in a rural area too, and it would absolutely be given a funky look by just about anyone. But then again I grew up in a Bible Belt state, too, which doesn't help.

But then again AGAIN, I now live in one of the most liberal areas of the US and in one of the most LQTBQ+ friendly areas (the PNW) and I've still gotten the ugly glance or two when holding hands with my gf in public in the past. So the US just needs more time to grow up I guess.

In America's current political, and social climate, it's actually going backwards.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

how much gayer can this get.

In my personal view, this has gone from 'gag manga' to 'Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru' levels in the last few chapters. It might just hit peak 'Hana Ni Arashi' before very long.

I would say that this is beyond Nettaigyo. In this manga we know that the characters are 100% gay but one of them haven't realized yet. (Koguma)
Meanwhile in Nettaigyo both of them act gay but the author didn't label it as Yuri so it might end up being another Hibike Euphonium!

Wait, Hibike Euphonium isn't yuri!? I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but it seemed pretty lesbian romance-ish. The title sequence had the two girls connected by the red thread of fate, for goodness sake.

A lot of people already replied and i don't want to turn this thread into a Hibike Euphonium rant but you asked me something and i'll just answer it.

No, Hibike Euphonium ended up being Yuribait and they were "Just Friends" Everyone thought that it would end up being Yuri because of the way the author handled the story and the characters but in the end it wasn't.

That's why i said thay Nettaigyo might end up being another Hibike Euphonium (i hope not) because the mangaka said on her twitter that she didn't want to label Nettaigyo as a Yuri manga and that it was up to you whether you consider it Subtext or Yuri.
I'm scared...

If the the creator is leaving it up to the reader, to decide if something is subtext or not, doesn't it make it subtext by definition?

Yes, but idk...the story is showing how the characters feel jealousy or how they feel lonely when they don't talk to each other. It's way too Gay to be considered Subtext, besides, the manga is published in a Yuri magazine so...

If I've learned one thing, from these message boards, it's one person's solid yuri hockup, is another person's just friends.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Please in Mado-kami's tell me there is a physical release for this series

There is

Thank you so much!!! Hopefully we get a western release soon (my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to try reading it).

When you said “physical release” I thought you meant something different . . .

Hahaha nice.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

how much gayer can this get.

In my personal view, this has gone from 'gag manga' to 'Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru' levels in the last few chapters. It might just hit peak 'Hana Ni Arashi' before very long.

I would say that this is beyond Nettaigyo. In this manga we know that the characters are 100% gay but one of them haven't realized yet. (Koguma)
Meanwhile in Nettaigyo both of them act gay but the author didn't label it as Yuri so it might end up being another Hibike Euphonium!

Wait, Hibike Euphonium isn't yuri!? I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but it seemed pretty lesbian romance-ish. The title sequence had the two girls connected by the red thread of fate, for goodness sake.

A lot of people already replied and i don't want to turn this thread into a Hibike Euphonium rant but you asked me something and i'll just answer it.

No, Hibike Euphonium ended up being Yuribait and they were "Just Friends" Everyone thought that it would end up being Yuri because of the way the author handled the story and the characters but in the end it wasn't.

That's why i said thay Nettaigyo might end up being another Hibike Euphonium (i hope not) because the mangaka said on her twitter that she didn't want to label Nettaigyo as a Yuri manga and that it was up to you whether you consider it Subtext or Yuri.
I'm scared...

If the the creator is leaving it up to the reader, to decide if something is subtext or not, doesn't it make it subtext by definition?

last edited at May 16, 2019 4:47PM

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Ummmm ooookaaaaay. I was just asking. Like I said I've only seen a few clips. I'm in no position to debate it yuri-ness. I was just just suprised to hear that it's not a yuri.

John, Johnny, Jonathan, sometimes just calling the devil will summon him. If you value peace, don't ask whether Hibiki Euphonium is yuri ever again. The yuri community has enough PTSD as it is.

ACK! Why couldn't you quote the edited post, where I deleted the extra 'just'. That version makes me look like an idiot. Well more of an idiot than I actually am.

P.S. It's just John, not Jonathan. You know John the Baptist and all.

Wait that made me sound like a religious right winger. I'm most assuredly not. That's just who I was named after.

last edited at May 16, 2019 4:42PM