Forum › Posts by Oeconomist

joined Jun 6, 2021

PowerPoint?!? Good God! Get Inkscape! It's free! It's got a great built-in tutorial! You can just learn to typeset with it, without mastering its other features, and do much better work than a typical scanlation typesetter.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Actually, Hino's willingness just to get naked here indicates that she's sometimes in a mode in which her thoughts about Koguma are not sexualized.

I'd say there really wasn't much thinking going on at that moment.

If one thing is clear from past episodes, it is that the minds of Hino and of Koguma are constantly active, albeit often unreasonable.

But, though Hino would have been thinking of Koguma, she wasn't thinking of her in a way that invited anxiety.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Actually, Hino's willingness just to get naked here indicates that she's sometimes in a mode in which her thoughts about Koguma are not sexualized.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

This mangaka is just awful at assembling sequences of images to tell a story. The audience has to fight with each and every page.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Lettuce is never a good addition; cabbage or spinach is often nice.

Oeconomist
Fan Letter discussion 06 Sep 19:18
joined Jun 6, 2021

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Someone should be found to throw hotdogs at the mangaka and publisher until these two are brought back.

joined Jun 6, 2021

The moon is beautiful, if you could but see it.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm pretty sure they're intentional.

As someone else noted, the author of the novel was explicit that this world didn't conform to real-world history.

(My point about the historicity has been that the world is mostly like that of the Enlightenment, and that there has been nothing distinctly Mediaeval.)

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Someone needs to teach all the children of the world to break these things while they are still in their wrappers, and by applying force through the wrappers not to the sticks but to the edible sections.

That said, at least the ending here was completely positive.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

feel medieval-ish

The settings is not medieval though, it is more late renaissance. (the otome game is name Revolution)

We had a discussion about this issue a while back. The setting is actually more post-Renaissance. It was during the Reformation that the age of revolution against aristocracy began, and in the Enlightenment that it really took off.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

is there going to be actual yuri in this later on or this is just shoujou ai?

There isn't overt sex in the novel proper, though there was a special episode of their wedding night for subscribers. What will happen in the manga is probably undetermined but most likely to conform to the novel proper.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

still bdsm but complicated?

Definitely. But this will largely evaporate as Claire falls increasingly in love with Rei.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

claire has a spirit of a sadist
and the mc (forgot her name) is a masochist

Who's really tormenting whom? It seems to me that Rei tops from the bottom.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

“forgo” = “go without”
“forego” = “go earlier”

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Fiat money has always resulted in runaway inflation of the monetary stock, in turn resulting in runaway inflation of prices.

That is an incredible claim. Do you have a source for it.

Don't expect me to reply instantaneously to multiple people each making multiple mistakes. You already asked that question, and I answered it in a reasonable interval.

What's actually remarkable here is not my claim, but that you would pontificate about this topic with such a weak background in the subject.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Fiat money is a bad thing; in the long run, it is like a game of musical chairs in which most chairs will suddenly be removed all-at-once. And, historically, no state has indefinitely resisted the temptation to inflate fiat currency madly.

You say that as if fiat currencies have existed for more than a few decades.

Inconvertible paper money has been repeatedly introduced over the centuries, beginning in China.

That said, I can't think of many countries that gave into the urge to "inflate the currency madly". At least not ones that weren't already in the process of collapsing. Do you have any data to back up your claim?

America alone has had three distinct episodes of unconvertible paper money (four if the Confederacy is counted separately), and the world has had a great many. (China, France, Germany, Austria, Greece, Argentina, Zimbabwe, and Venezuela come immediately to mind.) In the case of America, learn for example about the Continental Bills of Credit.

A standard based upon just one commodity (such as gold) is far from perfect, and states can debase such currencies; but they don't go to Hell as quickly as does fiat currency.

There are also issues with things like countries leveraging asymmetric trade to drain each other's gold reserves, even if the trade wouldn't otherwise negatively impact their economy, and the monetary supply having literally nothing to do with the productive capacity of the country.

You are here thinking exactly like a mercantilist. If goods can be bought cheaply in nation B because nation A is selling them thus to acquire the currency of nation B, then buyers from other nations have incentive to move their holdings of that currency into nation B to make purchases. And, as whatever commodity is used as money become more dear as money, there is incentive both to produce more of it and to shift more of it from other uses into use as money.

And you should take a look at the expansion of the US money supply relative to that of the American GDP over the last twenty years; the former certainly does not reflect the latter.

An ideal monetary order would require the elimination of legal-tender laws, and almost certainly have competing issuers of currencies based upon evolving baskets of multiple commodities.

And that causes even more problems, not the least of which are things like company scrip, abusive payment requirements, and an exponentially more complicated tax process.

To the extent that the mythology of abusive company scrip and payment systems has actually been researched, it has been falsified. See, for example, “Did Coal Miners ‘Owe Their Souls to the Company Store’? Theory and Evidence from the Early 1900s” by Price V. Fishback in The Journal of Economic History v46 #4. Much of what is taught as economic history is little better than Just So Stories.

(As an undergraduate seeking a BSc in economics, I was required to declare a field of specialization. I had enough coursework each in money-and-banking and in economic history; I chose the former. I moved to different fields in graduate school.)

Currencies, at least in the way your talking about them, are one of those things were "free markets" make absolutely no sense.

In response to that bald claim, I'll make a bald denial.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Fiat money is a good thing, allowing money supply to be matched to economic growth. Otherwise you risk deflation, which is terrible.

Fiat money has always resulted in runaway inflation of the monetary stock, in turn resulting in runaway inflation of prices. And nothing prevents ultimate collapse of the purchasing power of fiat money. There is literally no basis for its sustaining value; it is a pure bubble.

Meanwhile, if commodity-backed money begins to gain purchasing power then it is drawn from its non-monetary use (remember that it is a commodity!), which increases the money supply. And if begins to lose purchasing power, then the commodity becomes relatively more valuable in uses other than as money, and it is withdrawn from monetary use, which decreases the money supply.

The gold standard didn't even last all that long. Started in the 1800s, countries fled it in the Great Depression (recovering in about the order that they left it), people kind of tried again with Bretton Wood which lasted less than 30 years before collapsing. Fiat world has already lasted 50 years since then.

No one here has advocate the gold standard in particular. But your history is muddled. The US was on a de facto gold standard from 1834 until the Civil War, a de jure gold standard from 1873 until 1933, and a gold-exchange standard from 1933 until 1971; early during the gold-exchange standard, the money was debased. Whereas recovery from the Depression of the early '20s took about a year, the Great Depression dragged-on for many years (and in this sense became Great) because the response was technocratic, including manipulation of the money supply.

Historically money was more of a silver standard than anything else,

Indeed, historically silver was the monetary base, and conversion to gold was part of a joint effort of political officials and of bankers to reshape the economy.

but how well that worked depended on your silver mines... '

Nope. You are basically imagining commodity-backed money not as backed by a commodity, but as backed by a substance that is not a commodity. See my discussion above.

and on how good private credit systems were making up for the flaws of metallic money.

Whether one has commodity-backed money or fiat money, the private credit institutions do not have a mission to offset the flaws; their mission is to enhance the potential.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

The translator needs to make a table of the declination of the strong verbs, and to tack or tape that table to a wall or desk. In particular, the past participles are not formed using the form of the simple past tense as such.

“have swum”
“have drunk”
“have sung”
&c

joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm so confused. What is this language crime that has been committed here?

My interest here isn't in explaining the English language to people who have such a limited familiarity with it that they're not repeatedly jarred by this translation; nor do I want to square-off against passive-aggressive trolls.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Yeah smh who do they think they are >:(

I don't know the answer to that. But “they” actually are a person of pretty much just the sort of which you'd imagine a Briton, American, or Canadian to be, if that person tried to pull the same crap with your language.

joined Jun 6, 2021

It's really unpleasant when the translator decides that he or she can and should change how the target language works.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Tedious.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Wow. The concluding robo-shark chapter was a stupid waste of time.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

(The gold standard and mercantilism were not actually good things.)

Mercantilism is a bad thing; fiat money doesn't inhibit it.

Fiat money is a bad thing; in the long run, it is like a game of musical chairs in which most chairs will suddenly be removed all-at-once. And, historically, no state has indefinitely resisted the temptation to inflate fiat currency madly.

A standard based upon just one commodity (such as gold) is far from perfect, and states can debase such currencies; but they don't go to Hell as quickly as does fiat currency.

An ideal monetary order would require the elimination of legal-tender laws, and almost certainly have competing issuers of currencies based upon evolving baskets of multiple commodities.