Forum › Posts by firelizard

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

why does Japan always seem so weird about that kind of thing

haha Japan so weird people definitely never prostitute themselves for rent in Western countries

That’s not what I meant. It’s the framing.

We’re supposed to like landlady, right? Having someone prostitute themselves for rent in your building is a pretty shitty thing to do, but the manga treats it like it isn’t shitty and that landlady ultimately isn’t shitty for doing it, even if she feels guilty for it.

Abusive dynamics are framed as neutral or good in manga all the time and I don’t really like it. That’s all.

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

I dunno guys, the title is literally “Even If It Was Just Once, I Regret It”. Landlady obviously feels really guilty about having sex with her drunk and can’t imagine that Kozuka would ever actually like her outside of the weird contract (but the contract’s existence itself is pretty sus too tbh, like, romantic/sexual favors for rent is pretty yikes on an abuse of power level no matter how nice you are about it, why does Japan always seem so weird about that kind of thing).

I think landlady has some baggage and low self-esteem, and I think the misunderstood confession fits, even if it’s a trope that’s done to death. I think it’d would be boring if they got together for real now anyway.

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

lol, i've been watching this on twitter for months

Lyy is great

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

This is a strangely compelling story

firelizard
Image Comments 08 Aug 02:11
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020
__altair_and_shimazaki_setsuna_re_creators_drawn_by_kuro_namako__bdf9915d348ada69a89a3a38768e6db0

This was already on my to watch list, but if there are gays in it I gotta bump it up

firelizard
Image Comments 06 Aug 03:35
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020
61602817_p2

I love them so much

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

which mecha anime is "the iron goldra" supposed to be alluding to?

Armoured Trooper Votoms, if you like that i highly recommend Gundam: Thunderbolt as it's still got that retro war aesthetic but just a more modern artstyle, and i haven't seen iron blooded orphans but i hear its pretty good too

:) thanks

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

which mecha anime is "the iron goldra" supposed to be alluding to?

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

It ends there??!?!??!!? How cruel!

I want my drunk DiaxRiko kiss!!

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

How common is it in the Japanese entertainment industry to act completely differently at work and at home? Like, everyone does that to some extent, but is it common for the difference to be so stark?

I have seiyuu that I like and I think it’d make me sad if I found out they had really different personas at work and at home. But then again, it’s not like they owe me their authenticity or anything—I’m just a fan with parasocial relationships with famous people.

Anyway, this looks like it’ll be interesting. I like a good enemies-to-lovers story. Here’s hoping it turns out to be yuri

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

I think I’m still reading this out of a morbid sense of curiosity. At this point I just can’t find it in me to be invested in any of the characters. I don’t think the plot was very well thought through.

I mean, Kaoru’s gonna end up with Uta, I have no doubt about it. The only question is how long the story drags itself out getting there

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

Also, this reboot is just worse than the original with this attempt to shoehorn in unnecessary drama.

I mean for what i heard, the original had Penguin planning to commit Suicide for unclear reason by jumping of an abandonned building rooftop and Shishimaru stopped her. Talk about drama.

Wow, really? That would’ve been an even more stark jump in tone. I guess there are ways to play that more comedically, but like... still. Where’d you hear that?

Here

Ahh. I know it’s already been rebooted, but I hope the rest of the old series gets translated. I think it’s different enough to warrant it

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

Also, this reboot is just worse than the original with this attempt to shoehorn in unnecessary drama.

I mean for what i heard, the original had Penguin planning to commit Suicide for unclear reason by jumping of an abandonned building rooftop and Shishimaru stopped her. Talk about drama.

Wow, really? That would’ve been an even more stark jump in tone. I guess there are ways to play that more comedically, but like... still. Where’d you hear that?

last edited at Jul 29, 2020 11:57AM

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

I like where this is going. I mean, it’s kind of a lot, “turns out Nekozaki’s being investigated for murder” isn’t what I thought was going to happen, but I can see it. (And I’m glad that teacher like, has a reason to spy on them and isn’t just a complete creep, setting aside that she’s also dating her student—is she doing that just to get closer to Nekozaki? That’s still creepy.) There’s always been an air of dark mystery around her family—if you go back and look, this sort of revelation was set up pretty well. And combined with her emotional issues, I wonder what it’s all leading up to. I wonder what happened.

I like that the Shōwa records club got some more characterization.

Also, did anyone notice that that listening device is a flapjack octopus cell phone charm? I wonder if it’s a reference to Bloom Into You.

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

At least she got consent eventually? idk still too rapey for me to like.

Yeah, it’s really rapey. Like, just because someone is into you too doesn’t mean you can just initiate sex whenever you want. Hayami learns that Akane might like her back and starts assaulting her again, and when Akane asks what the hell she’s doing, Hayami just says “you like me, don’t you? You enjoy this” as if that isn’t skeevy at all.

People who are in relationships,,, CAN STILL RAPE EACH OTHER. And these two aren’t even in a relationship yet—they don’t even have that thin sheen of “this is ok because we’re dating and she liked it before”.

It’s gross

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

Remember that in the last chapter she literally tied her up?

As she proceed to first just wipe her. And that's hardly just BDSM.

intercourse without given consent, a.k.a: rape

Intercourse ? Didn't she just suck her nipple one time ? And she barely smooch her breast here. Does that really count as intercourse ? Sexual assault yes but not rape.

I mean... you're technically right, but like, does it matter? They're both deplorable actions. And Hayami probably would've escalated it to rape if Akane hadn't freed herself anyway--at least she says she wanted to.

I'm not sure this distinction matters much outside of a courtroom.

Words, both inside and outside courtrooms, have defined meanings. Granted, the meaning of words can change over time, but we should respect the current meaning of a word and use it in the proper context. This is important if one wants to convey their thoughts to another and not be misunderstood.
For example: My understanding of chapter 3 is that Hayami physically restrained Akane, and committed sexual assault with intent to rape.

Again, you're technically correct, but do you see how pedantic this distinction is here? People colloquially use "rape" and "sexual assault" in the same way literally all the time.

Like, when you say "they were raped", the most important thing you take away from that information is "they didn't give consent", not "there was penetration". Who cares if there was penetration? Their consent shouldn't have been violated regardless. At a certain point the details about what exactly happened don't matter, and by saying "well it wasn't technically rape" it sounds like you're sorta letting the perpetrator off the hook. Like, "wait just a minute, it wasn't as bad as rape, they were only sexually assaulted". Who are you to decide that? It's not so simple.

Who cares if you call a fictional sexual assault rape. It really doesn't matter.

firelizard
Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

Remember that in the last chapter she literally tied her up?

As she proceed to first just wipe her. And that's hardly just BDSM.

intercourse without given consent, a.k.a: rape

Intercourse ? Didn't she just suck her nipple one time ? And she barely smooch her breast here. Does that really count as intercourse ? Sexual assault yes but not rape.

I mean... you're technically right, but like, does it matter? They're both deplorable actions. And Hayami probably would've escalated it to rape if Akane hadn't freed herself anyway--at least she says she wanted to.

I'm not sure this distinction matters much outside of a courtroom.

last edited at Jul 27, 2020 8:15PM