Forum › Posts by Cryssoberyl

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Just hope they don't kill off one of them in the last episode!

Thanks again, Japan.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

This is indeed channeling, and quite strongly at that, the premise and imagery of Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, an important but not-much-talked-about-these-days early (though post-Utena/Sailor Moon/Marimite) yuri anime, quite possibly the first to ever have as its central overarching theme an explicitly romantic relationship between two girls - though it would soon be overshadowed by Kannazuki no Miko only a year later.

Stoic TDB (tall, dark, bishoujo) with a sword jumps through parallel worlds searching for her adopted sister with whom she shares more-than-sisterly feelings, including an Orient Express-style train situation.

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 3:18PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Wow. This has a very nostalgic, mid-2000s sort of feel to the story and the art. Quite a blast from the past for me.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Unfortunately this kind of thing is a reality for manga artists in Japan who get a chance to publish their works for money. Editors employed by magazines have a lot of power in asking/demanding artists to do things and make alterations based on what they believe, rightly or wrongly, will increase its popularity/saleability. I feel some genuine frustration leaking out of Tatsubon with this one.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Everything went better than expected.

Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Well, this is one doujin where we can say with absolute confidence that everything that was said, thought, and done was 100% in-character.

last edited at Nov 10, 2019 1:33PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Pink is the color of nobility. Never forget.

last edited at Oct 27, 2019 8:37PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Now I want many, many more chapters of threesome slice-of-life fluff.

Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

A cute monstergirl offers to let the MC pee on her, and suddenly the MC is totally not a super perv who'd absolutely do that?

She was probably just telling the truth that she didn't have to go right then. :P

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Now now Blastaar, as you yourself pointed out not long ago, people - some people, anyway - are quite capable of viewing a story both as a piece of fiction and as a hypothetical relationship model as you put it. One can feel strongly about the negative side of Kase's behavior while still simultaneously keeping in mind genre conventions and authorial intent.

Though I will say that I think that cases like Kase or Bloom Into You, which ARE for the most part positive and fairly "realesque" (as opposed to "realistic") models of the growth of a WLW relationship, are more prone to be under such scrutiny as case studies, and under more pressure by their audiences to attain and maintain ever greater perfection in that role. Needless to say, it is much easier to enjoy, for example, Mochi Au Lait or Kodama Naoko's works purely as entertainment. It's a consequence that good authors writing good and believable relationships bring on themselves through their own skillfulness.

last edited at Oct 5, 2019 9:05PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

As you like. I note that you don't deny that that was the substance of their argument, which is satisfying enough. Certainly a good and rational note on which to stop.

last edited at Oct 5, 2019 11:55AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Blastaar, we may have disagreed heatedly before, but I still expected more from you than to be a surrogate for someone who just unironically claimed that gender roles, whole-cloth, no longer exist and no longer inform society or interpersonal relationships (or depictions thereof). Do you genuinely want to act as an apologist for someone taking such a stance?

And yes, trying to reason with BugDevil is always, indeed, a fruitless conversation, but a flight of fancy as wild as the aforementioned requires an injection of reality, however lost on them it undoubtedly is.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

You have no arguments. What's depicted in the story has everything to do with it, and your unwillingness to admit you got caught propping up heteronormative bullshit under the shield of "gender roles don't exist anymore guys" is why you find yourself isolated in this discussion. You exposed yourself, and instead of owning up to that you attempted nothing less than an out-of-hand dismissal of the very idea that it might somehow inform how two humans are conducting a romantic relationship.

There's still time to reverse course from this insanely absurd path you've embarrassed yourself by taking.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Gender roles have nothing to do with "modern" heterosexuality people. Congrats, we fixed it. In every age, in every place, it has been a pervasive and fundamental problem throughout human society, but BugDevil says its gone now so we can all pat ourselves on the back, job well done having scrubbed it clean from the Earth.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Kase's preoccupation with regulating Yamada's clothing choices needs to stop. It is the most heteronormative aspect of their frequently het-mirroring relationship, and this case directly calls back to Kase actually insulting Yamada's appearance in order to keep her under control. The "don't wear X for your own good!" was not acceptable in Their Story (and called out as such in that work) and it is not acceptable here - even less so here, in fact, manifesting as it did as Kase negging her significant other.

A simple thing to do is to see their relation as a Mom/Daughter one. Kase is just a mom who is afraid that her daughter can't do anything right and had to back her up everytime when said daughter is just doing her best.

Except that is not their relationship and thus should not be their dynamic. It is not Kase's job to manage and mother Yamada, it is her job as her girlfriend to be an equal partner who respects her choices and doesn't seek to control her for her "own good", let alone for Kase's good:

I think I'm finally starting to realize that Kase's whole "could you please not wear that" schpeal is more for her sake than any jealousy over the boys seeing her.

Someone gets it.

Someone gets that it's even worse than it appears? Making insincere appeals to scary boys as bogeymen to frighten Yamada into doing what she, Kase, wants for her own comfort would be blatant and cynical emotional blackmail in exactly the same way women are forced into rigidly "modest" clothing the world over for the peace of mind of their self-appointed owners. Even I don't think Kase is terrible or selfish enough to be doing that, at least not intentionally.

I don't hate Kase or this manga, but she has a problem that continues to manifest, and pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

last edited at Oct 5, 2019 7:49AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Goodbye and thank you.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Point proven.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Why do you think well written stories always top the charts and are phenomena?

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time last I heard and, on a more general note, I really hope you aren't trying to make an argument that the most popular manga/anime/movie/novel/*anything* in general are so because they are paragons of thoughtful writing. That is almost never the case and one of the most fallacious arguments you could ever make.

Gentle reminder that - and this is something I give profound thanks for nearly everyday now - the Japanese authors of the vast majority of these works do not read this site and are blissfully unaware of Western yuri fans' self-important views on how they should do their job better. You are not giving feedback to the author here, so stop pretending that. You are only wallowing publicly in your own sense of superiority, writing post after essay-like post to no real effect except propping up how much better your tastes in Japanese schoolgirl lesbian fantasy stories are compared to others'. Please gain even a tiny bit of self-awareness about how far you are going (and habitually go) to belabor this point.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 3:05PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

The only way this wouldn't seem plausible is if you were one of the Nene haters who assumed she was using Kou - even though it was obvious she had real emotion toward Kou as well. You were wrong and you need to accept it. Certainly an unexpected outcome, but only because we so rarely actually see it happen, not because it wasn't built up to. It does make sense, the groundwork for it WAS laid, and as such I'm totally happy with it. (Excepting the fact that the teacher didn't get a girl of her own, but.)

Thank you very much for your work on this series, Piranhaplant.

last edited at Sep 25, 2019 8:40PM

Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

If you think that you didn't understand it, since at the end Diana agrees to be Ruby's even after the one year has passed.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Fairly fine, but give her vulva some attention too while you're doing all of that, geez.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Unfaithful discussion 11 Sep 02:49
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Mochi's been reading too much Kodama Naoko lately.

what is with the slew of dark and twisty oneshots? first Watagiri Saya and now Mochi Au Lait. I'm not complaining. I am just a bit shocked.

It's a sign of growing confidence and tranquility in Japan's LGBTQ community. Even though marriage equality hasn't been attained, improved social acceptance by mainstream societ, and the fact lesbian women aren't subjected to the oppressive social pressures as heterosexual women (marriage, childbearing, virtual domestic servitude in a staunchly patriarchal society) means there's more freedom and space despite lingering prejudice. Plus a stronger sense of community and solidarity with each other. I

With a general sense of wellbeing of this strength exists in any community, artists and their audiences are more daring in entertaining darker themes (whereas in more turbulent times they deal is lighter distracting fare to allay anxiety). Bottom line is that traditional Yuri with its fluffy stories and flippant characters no longer reflects the actual Lesbian experience in Japan, and we're seeing the beginnings of a move towards darker (supernatural, horror, sci-fi, and more deviant hentai) material in the next 2 to 3 years.

Sorry to burst your sociocultural bubble, but you need to remember that only a tiny fraction of Japan's yuri works get translated, and there is a selection bias toward the more interesting and unusual works. What gets scanlated into English is not representative of Japan's trends in yuri as a whole - and even if they were, that too would not be something on which to base such a theory, however optimistic it may be.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Koukotsu discussion 11 Sep 02:01
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I hate these kinds of cop-out endings. Especially in this case, where it being reality would be far more believable than that someone is making a film of this with explicit scenes of incest involving minors... Just commit to your fetish, Taiyaki. Makes me worried for the outcome of 1x1/2.

Thanks Lazy Lily.

last edited at Sep 11, 2019 2:02AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Not to defend Sugimoto's intrusiveness, but in Japan it's common for unmarried children to remain living in their parents' home even into adulthood. That's one reason why someone living with someone would have a more romantically suggestive air to it than it would elsewhere. That still doesn't mean it was a reasonable conclusion to come to, but it gives more of a veneer of sense to the ulterior motive, rather than being just a blatantly random accusation.

Anyway, it was otherwise decent, although I don't actually consider Kie too much better.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Liberta discussion 30 Aug 16:30
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Whoa, 99% sure she just killed that guy. 100% sure he is maimed for life if not. Either way, I think it's fine, but...