Forum › Posts by skulll

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

For real, will be finally see Yuu crying next chapter during the so waited reunion?Touko and Sayaka already did in the so called suffering arc, I'd love to see an emotional Yuu too :3

This would be thematically amazing, because it would be a callback to what Natsuki said before. Yuu has never cried about anything in the story and apparently not even when she should have in the past either (like losing in the Softball matches). Thanks to being not emotionally invested enough in things she just does out of obligation or to help someone.
So if Yuu cries (for good or bad) because of her current situation with Touko, that would visually show that she has emotionally matured and truly invested herself in this beyond logic and denial.

I really thought it would happen in this chapter, mainly in the scene when Yuu broke down and accepted she is really in pain, it surprised me a bit it did not happen. I guess Nakatani is waiting to make it an epic moment... I hope...

I have waited SO LONG for this. One more chapter till the confession... Probably. Unless the author decides to mess things up.

Confession? I'm fairly certain we had those in both directions already. This is the make up/reaffirmation stage, no?

Actually Nakatani said in an interview that Yuu's confession in chapter 34 was incomplete in a way, because she covered her eyes. And Nakatani said she made her cover her eyes because saying I love you while looking at Touko's eyes would give the impression everything between them has been said and done... so I agree with the other user, in a way, both will confess to each other again, looking at each others to the eyes, wanting to form a healthy relationship, Touko still needs to "confess" by telling Yuu she loves Yuu for Yuu and the latter needs to openly confess again, this time without feeling her love for Touko is a bad thing... so yeah, make up and double confession again!

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Ahh so many things I wanna say ... but I am lazy. All I'll say is that I loved the chapter, the Kyoto trip arc was great (if that counts 37, 38 and 39, or maybe the whole volume). My favorite chapter of this volume still has to be 38, though. I am a bit disappointed that this one wasn't able to be better than 38 (at least for me) considering it's the last of vol. 7 but it was great regardless. Run Yuu run! I have no doubts next chapter will show the moment everyone has been waiting for, too bad it's 2 months away... i am praying the yuri gods that Nakatani and Kusunoki will make it a great chapter :3

For real, will be finally see Yuu crying next chapter during the so waited reunion?Touko and Sayaka already did in the so called suffering arc, I'd love to see an emotional Yuu too :3

last edited at Mar 3, 2019 2:33PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

People should count their blessings. A bad scenario would be if Sayaka gives up on being a lesbian after her 2nd heartbreak and couples up with Dojima.

LMAO

Oh, please, give the woman some credit—Ichigaya the dreamy acting coach would be a far more appropriate match.

Besides, Koyomi’s the one who’ll make a move on Dojima. Lol

I unironically think Koyomi and Doujima could have made a good couple of opposites. Too bad the guy is already taken~

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Fake news! I entered the link via phone and it was visible. Can't wait to actually understand what everyone said, but I know what comes next after that: reconciliation of our two beloved protagonists!

Lol BV, you’re deceived. I looked it on my phone, so it’s really visible lol.

Maki best girl.

-.- facepalm seriously... -.- ...

... smirk

Chapter 39: Maki, Good job for remind her to make him aware of his feelings to touko, Nice~ New CP: douzima × agali. forget her senpai?Intersting.

r/engrish

funny. Maki seems found another interesting “story” aside from Yuu x Touko... and it’s about Doujima x Akari, when Yuu said, Akari refused her invitation to go Karaoke, coz Akari has previous engagement to a friend to go bowling, and then Maki realized that Akari is from Basketball club, and told Doujima was out too with a company from Basketball club to go bowling that day...

He has many stories I am sure, i wonder if one of them is about a yaoi couple too...

last edited at Mar 1, 2019 1:15PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

I reread chapter 38 and I feel very fortunate that the author has been able to handle Touko this well so far. I expected that Touko getting the plot ball, after Yuu has held onto it for most of the series, would put a lot of strain on the character. That is, basically every little thing she does is magnified, especially since we're in the middle of the climax now. But so far it's working.

I have a feeling that it's kind of risky to play the "plot card" of Touko crying (I think for the first time in the story) in a scene that isn't the one where Touko and Yuu reconcile the main conflict, but it might pay off. (I'm not sure if this counts as a subverted trope?) Either way, I continue to be very excited. (Also, if anyone is wondering why I'm fixating on the crying... It's because I am the dumb and I can only talk about the few patterns that even I can spot.)

There is a high chance Touko will cry when she and Yuu make up as well. And it's not the first time she has cried, that was in chapter 31.
I feel Touko was crying for Yuu and Sayaka in chapter 38. She is in pain for hurting Yuu's feelings and realising that she does love Yuu for Yuu and for having to reject her best friend.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 7:11PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

its touko's fault for not noticing sayaka in the first place.

I wouldn't say "not noticing". She even points out right in this chapter that she was aware of Sayaka's feelings, but chose not to think about them. It's not a question of noticing, but rather Touko not wanting to be with anyone who had any such feelings for her, leading her to choose Yuu who at that time seemed unable to ever do so.

I wonder what exactly Touko means by “Sayaka’s feelings.” Question for our multilingual folk: is the original unequivocal that she’s talking about specifically romantic feelings?

Dynasty translation: “It’s not that I was oblivious to how how strongly Sayaka feels about me.”

Alternate translation: “It’s not that I didn’t notice how strong Sayaka’s affection was.”

(As a parallel example in English, if someone were to say, “I knew she had feelings for me,” the idiom always means “romantic feelings.”)

Sayaka clearly has worked hard at becoming Touko’s only close friend, and the specific moments Touko thinks about (the fireworks scene, the confrontation about the revised script of the play) are perfectly consistent with Sayaka attempting to get closer to Touko in a non-romantic way.

If the answer to my translation question is “yes, the feelings in question are definitely romantic,” then Touko always was making an implicit choice between Sayaka and Yuu from the very beginning.

But if not, it’s more like, “I knew that Sayaka really wanted to be my friend, but her silence about her love allowed me to not think about it any more deeply than that.” In this reading Sayaka never was perceived as a romantic possibility until she actually confessed.

In the end, there’s really not that much difference between the two possibilities as far as the outcome of the story goes.

But the story has been structured around the two big reveals by Yuu and then by Sayaka. Touko’s instant grasp of the situation both times (in Sayaka’s case, even before the reveal itself) raises the question of whether she had a psychological block that prevented her from perceiving how her two friends actually felt about her (and therefore how her own attitudes were causing them emotional pain) or if she did know what was up and she simply found it convenient to not fully think things through.

A subtle thing at times, this language business. Emotions too, as a matter of fact.

The word Touko used was 好意 and is not used to talk about romantic feelings exclusively. Should be closer to kindness or affection in this context.

Touko was not oblivious to Sayaka's and Yuu's feelings is my take. There were some scenes where she looked suspicious about Yuu (chapters 13 & 24), but just chose to think it was not possible for Yuu to have feelings for her, because she felt good and wanted to keep the status quo. It should be the same with Sayaka, Touko was aware of how much Sayaka cared about her but didn't want to believe that affection was love, which was easy because Sayaka never confessed. When she tried to, Touko put two and two together and noticed what was gonna happen.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 1:14PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

I really like this manga but I had to vote for Virgin's Empire, sorry :,v but Nettaigyo has higher chances anyways

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

So, I've always half-wondered what the deal is with the chapter-opening-page 'mottos,' or sayings, or whatever they're called, and the difference between the translations of the one for Chapter 38 finally makes me ask: what is the status of these things? Are they included in the tank versions (I'm away from my shelf at the moment)? And what's the gist of this one?

Other trans:

If it's now / It's because it's now.

4s:

I can now. / And so I will.

The subjunctive ("if") in the first one is pretty notable as compared to the strongly declarative second one.

I get the "I will change now" part, but both of them seem a little cryptic in phrasing. (This isn't about the accuracy of either translation; I'm just wondering if anybody has any comments on these intro phrases in general.)

I won't go into discussion over translations but the Japanese text for that line is literally (and I mean literally):
If now, because now.
Make of that what you will I guess, the sentence is already ambiguous in Japanese so people need to look at context.
My interpretation (feel free to debate): For Touko, if the time has come, and because it's already here, she needs to think and make a decision (about Sayaka, Yuu , her life in general, basically the themes of this very chapter). Sayaka and Yuu have changed and now it's her turn.
Another possible translation: "If the time is now, because the time is now..."

Regarding your question about the "mottos": they appear at the beginning and end of a chapter, and are added by the editor of a series (you must have noticed by now that plenty of manga have them). Yagakimi volumes don't have said mottos, it's just a thing of the magazine version.

last edited at Feb 6, 2019 11:06AM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

I'm curious, how well did the Citrus anime sell compared to YagaKimi?

Citrus sold 1.3k and Yagakimi almost 4k (3975) in their first week.

http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

last edited at Feb 5, 2019 7:09PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Touko and Sayaka are already aware they are lesbians and I think Yuu is bisexual and otherwise didn't have much difficulty with Touko being a girl too. The play ended basically with Touko coming out to her parents who said at the end "we have things to talk about" in an understanding way. The play was written by another character but the accuracy in describing Touko was spot on. Discovering sexuality is a theme to Bloom into You, and while there are certainly differences, the focus is facing the challenges of and acceptance of love itself which has no orientation. People have orientations, love doesn't.

I don't really think Touko is a lesbian or Yuu is bisexual. Sayaka for sure is a lesbian and she herself has stated this. But Touko and Yuu are pretty much the same, both fell in love with each other for other reasons than mainly "because she is a girl and I like girls" (unlike Sayaka). Nakatani even said that one of the reasons boys exist in yagakimi is to show girls who fall in love with other girls because they like girls (Sayaka and Miyako) and girls whose love interest simply happened to be a girl (Touko & Yuu). Boys are present yet the leads choose other girls and don't show attraction to guys (Yuu may have wanted to, but failed to). Touko didn't fall in love with Yuu at first sight or showed that kind of interest before Yuu said the magic words "I can't fall in love with anyone" and she hasn't shown attraction to other women either. Yuu fell in love with Touko after all the time they spent knowing each other.
It's easier to label the other characters in this manga (Sayaka and Miyako are lesbians, Maki is asexual aro, Koyomi, Akari and Doujima are straight, Riko is bi) but I don't see the point on labelling the main characters. If people really insist on labelling them, I would say pansexual, but still, I'd much rather just say that they fell in love for who the other is, and their gender was irrelevant in that process (which doesn't mean they aren't sexually attracted to each other, because they clearly are, but that's a part that came with love). Could they have fallen for each other had the other (or both) been male instead? Probably. Just like Riko wasn't into girls but chose Miyako because she fell in love with the person she is.

last edited at Feb 4, 2019 11:23PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Sayaka’s great—she’s just not the one, and never has been.

This. I tried to imagine how a relationship between Touko and Sayaka would look like (before and after Touko changed and felt ready to accept love) but something feels off.
Before Touko changed, Sayaka would only spoil her which has been shown to be terrible for Touko. Saying "yes" to everything she asks for would have ended in Touko having a huge breakdown eventually.

I guess after Touko changed, Sayaka spoiling her isn't bad. But both are big dorks, so it would be a pretty clingy and lovey dovey relationship lol

last edited at Feb 3, 2019 11:43AM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

I got the sense that even Sayaka already knew that her confession was probably going to be rejected (she doesn't look happy at all when Touko says she's going to give her an answer, for example), but she felt she still had to be honest about her own feelings out of principle. She clearly feels better for having done it, anyway. I'm sure she'll be okay.

Until chapter 37, she thought she could have a chance. She wasn't sure Touko would accept her, but wasn't sure she would reject her either. It was more a "Touko changed a lot, so there may be an opportunity for me and I can't keep my feelings bottled up any longer either" than a "I know she won't agree to date me but I need to release these feelings".
I do agree that in chapter 38, Sayaka already had an idea of what was coming (though she still looks heartbroken and a bit surprised when Touko actually says the words), especially after the boat scene.
I agree that now she has confessed, Sayaka will be able to move on and everything will be ok eventually.

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Man language is complicated.

For sure , lol. A friend told me that reading yagakimi in English feels very different from reading it in Japanese. Because translations in English (and this language in general) are much more "in your face" compared to Japanese which is more ambiguous and less direct.
Reading something in its native language will always be the best experience but I think Yagakimi especially benefits from this. Because there are so many word choices that draw interesting parallels between chapters and characters, like Yuu and Sayaka's "zurui" (unfair) or Yuu saying "wakaranai" (i don't know/understand) several times in chapters 1 and 35. Not to mention all the Japanese nuances that get lost in translation too...
Will try to reread the whole thing in Japanese one day, paying more attention to the word choices lol

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 9:58PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Another fansub translated this chapter, if anyone is interested in a second reading: https://mangadex.org/chapter/529371
It's interesting to see some differences in wording.

this one is MUCH better

I just compared them and agree (almost) entirely. In particular, I thought in the boat scene the key word being “trust” rather than “faith” was much better (“faith” isn’t wrong, but the religious connotation is a little much).

I must admit that I kinda liked the other one for Sayaka’s response to the Yuu-love reveal: “Ah, it’s vexing.” “Frustrating” is perfectly fine; I just happen to like “vexing” as a word.:)

Did you see anything as a major change in meaning?

I agree it's pretty much the same (even with different words, they both manage to convey the same meaning).
Except in one line, where kusoshop did a more accurate translation:
"If it's Sayaka, then we can be together" (kuso fansub).
"I feel at ease with you" (4s)
I read the raw and Touko said the first sentence. I don't know why 4s changed it. Not a huge mistake, but considering the image of Touko and Sayaka holding hands, Touko was saying she could see herself dating Sayaka, but "can't and won't choose her" because she chose Yuu, the one she loves.

last edited at Feb 2, 2019 8:47PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Another fansub translated this chapter, if anyone is interested in a second reading: https://mangadex.org/chapter/529371
It's interesting to see some differences in wording.

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

Nakatani sensei did say she was planing on ending the series either in 2019 or 2020, personally am hoping for the series to end in 2020.

Sauce?

joined Nov 5, 2017

There is a surprising lack of actual Touko X Yuu in these...

Out of the 4 stories that have been translated so far, 2 are Touko x Yuu, how is that "a lack of"?

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

I thought it was pretty obvious why Riko was upset. Leaving aside the uniform thing, which I agree with, I think she was simply worried because Sayaka is underage, so if something happened to her, Miyako would be responsible for it. We don't know what time it was when Miyako left Sayaka in the coffee shop but it was at night, and given Riko is a teacher and also seems to have a strong and strict personality, I can see why she reacted like that (and she didn't seem that mad, either). I don't think Miyako being a lesbian had anything to do with it btw.

last edited at Jan 10, 2019 8:45PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

I've also wondered if there is any significance to the recording of the play. I mean, no one but Touko's friend has seen it, and it makes me think that there's something in the CD that will become important to the plot (though it may also just be there as a reminder for both Touko and Yuu of how much each became a part of the other's life).

Not just her, Miyako also saw it. Well, both of Touko's friends (Midori and Manaka) and Yuu had a copy of it in her room, but idk it it was meant to be very important.

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

And you missed my point too. I never said there was meant to be an ambiguity. It is clear she feels Yuu is missing and it's painful, I agree that there's nothing ambiguous about that. It's just an implication, or it's implicit, whatever word you choose. "I feel lonely" already makes it clear in context that she feels lonely because Yuu is not with her anymore. I don't see why there should be any ambiguity on that kind of translation. And yes, the contradiction is the point, I said that, which is why IMO, saying "I am lonely" reinforces this contradiction more than "I miss her", the latter is stronger. We know Touko misses her, but for me it's better to keep the implicit connotation behind "I feel lonely" rather than outright stating it "I miss her".
We may not go anywhere with this argument because I did mention it's a matter of preference so we should agree to disagree.

The phrase -doesn't- just mean "I feel lonely", in common use though. Just like when I say someone is hot, There is a meaning that extends beyond the literal definition of the words, that turn of phrase means "It's lonely without ____" with the subject of the sentence, in this case, being implicit in the context.

You can be lonely being alone after a breakup without actually missing your ex. "I'm lonely" could imply that she just wants to be with -someone-. In english, you could take that to imply that she's actually pretty ready for Sayaka's confession, but the Japanese, in context, doesn't suggest that. It suggests she misses Yuu specifically. This is why I say translating it as "I'm lonely" introduces ambiguity that isn't in the original japanese.

"She just wants to be with someone" "ready to accept Sayaka's confession". Nah, that's stretching too much. If someone can actually read between the lines or at least look at the context and Touko's act of holding the keychain close to her while looking hurt, it should be obvious what she is referring to. I don't see any ambiguity in saying "I am lonely", maybe, like you said, it can be taken ambiguously in another context, not in this one. I don't think "I miss her" is the best TL either, but again, opinions.
My point wasn't even to say that it just means "I am lonely,". I kept mentioning the implications behind that line, which I think an average reader of the manga in English could grasp as well.

last edited at Jan 7, 2019 12:50PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

^^^ Like I said, the implication of a feeling of loss and lack is present in Touko's sentence. I just prefer implications to remain implications, a matter of preference I guess. "I miss her" is too strong when the expression is softer, which also emphazises the contradiction between Touko saying Yuu is not special to her anymore and then feeling lonely without her (a word that has been used by both Touko and Yuu in several chapters).

You're missing my point. There's a difference between "implied (but ambiguous)" and "implicit". The original japanese phrase is about feeling lonely because she's missing something. That she is missing Yuu is -implicit- but it is not ambiguous. Translating that to "I'm lonely" would -add- ambiguity to a scene that would not be ambiguous to a native japanese speaker.

Also, the contradiction IS the point. She's talking about how Yuu isn't "special" anymore, but she is demonstrating that she actually -is-. This is about how Touko doesn't understand her own feelings.

And you missed my point too. I never said there was meant to be an ambiguity. It is clear she feels Yuu is missing and it's painful, I agree that there's nothing ambiguous about that. It's just an implication, or it's implicit, whatever word you choose. "I feel lonely" already makes it clear in context that she feels lonely because Yuu is not with her anymore. I don't see why there should be any ambiguity on that kind of translation. And yes, the contradiction is the point, I said that, which is why IMO, saying "I am lonely" reinforces this contradiction more than "I miss her", the latter is stronger. We know Touko misses her, but for me it's better to keep the implicit connotation behind "I feel lonely" rather than outright stating it "I miss her".
We may not go anywhere with this argument because I did mention it's a matter of preference so we should agree to disagree.

last edited at Jan 7, 2019 11:12AM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

^^^ Like I said, the implication of a feeling of loss and lack is present in Touko's sentence. I just prefer implications to remain implications, a matter of preference I guess. "I miss her" is too strong when the expression is softer, which also emphazises the contradiction between Touko saying Yuu is not special to her anymore and then feeling lonely without her (a word that has been used by both Touko and Yuu in several chapters).

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

It seems what Touko was saying there was not "I miss her" but "I feel lonely" if you see the more literal meaning (寂しい). Not sure why 4s translated it like that, although it's true that 寂しい gives the feeling that something is lacking, but I prefer "lonely" since it also fits with the title of chapter 35. "I miss her" takes the nuance and the implication away imo, since it's a bit stronger. Of course they miss each other, but I prefer implied things to remain implied.

last edited at Jan 6, 2019 10:22PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

^^Nakatani said the manga is ending soon, so not a chance of Touko/Sayaka happening. Volume 7 has 2 chapters left, so I am pretty sure volume 8 will be the last, which is still not enough time to build up a love triangle with Sayaka as a serious contender. My bet is , she will be rejected, and then in volume 8 we will get another chapter focused on her, maybe receiving some advice from Miyako, which will help her move on and give her closure as a character and to her story arc.
However, I do see Sayaka as a tritagonist given the amount of focus on her in the whole story, and it would be sad if she ended up single in the end (unless Nakatani introduces a last minute new girlfriend after a timeskip in the last chapter or such, but it would feel a bit asspulled given the amount of chapters left). Ultimately , I do think Nakatani will have her be happy in the end, single or not.
I do suspect her light novel will get a third volume (second one is confirmed to be about her first year of high school) that will focus on her college life where she will meet her endgame girlfriend. At least, that's what I hope for since she is one of my favorite characters in yagakimi.

last edited at Jan 5, 2019 10:16PM

skulll
joined Nov 5, 2017

^^^ Her name is Akari, btw. And is there anyone who ships Akari x Sayaka? It's the first time I've ever seen this crackship mentioned anywhere. I have seen Koyomi x Sayaka shippers, though...

last edited at Jan 5, 2019 6:04PM