Forum › Posts by Reejun

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

Old thread, but regarding the award this got:

YH, like many magazines, holds contests where people can submit work. This is for the sake of finding new talent for the magazine. There are several levels of prize that can potentially be awarded. The prize this got was the lowest level, which was worth 50,000 yen. That level doesn't even automatically mean the work gets put in the magazine. A manga can get it without being deemed good enough to release for readers to see.

In that cycle of the contest, there was another entry that earned the lowest level prize, but that manga didn't get printed. However, the teenager who made it debuted in YH with a different one-shot, and she went on to have a career doing manga for YH. Now she has the 7th volume of her current series coming out in a few days.

There was one more prize winning entry. That one got the 2nd lowest level prize, worth 100,000 yen.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Clearly that's lead-based paint though so it's definitely causing harm.

Oshiroi doesn't have to be made with lead. That's been banned for sale for a long time.

joined Mar 15, 2017

っ just indicates that the last sound is elongated)

That's not what it indicates. If anything it's cutting short.

Reejun
Chi-Ran discussion 10 May 17:26
joined Mar 15, 2017

manga adaptations of Harlequin novels

This concept amuses me more than it should.

Harlequin seems to have 5 monthly magazines putting this stuff out. In terms of commercial output, that's easily enough to make it a bigger genre than yuri romance manga.

Reejun
Chi-Ran discussion 10 May 16:14
joined Mar 15, 2017

I was wondering if Chi-Ran still makes mangas. Anyone have an information about her or if she has any other works in the past 3 - 5 years?

It seems like Chi-Ran has worked recently, but doing manga adaptations of Harlequin novels. Latest is a version of The Unexpected Baby by Diana Hamilton in the latest issue of Bessatsu Harlequin.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Can you believe, new characters introduced for the new volume to be about. It's like this is AnoKiss or something.

How are there still people who don't understand the nature of this series?

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

I think there's plenty to like about the art style. Overall it's a nice looking series.

apparently it is the first work of the author (at least the first one I see here lol)

The mangaka had a 2 volume gachi yuri serialization in Shounen Magazine R called Haru Yuri.

last edited at May 9, 2018 5:52PM

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

Seeing how their species gets pregnant without penetration and the organ adapted for sexual penetration no longer exists, it would be strange if they still put much importance on whether a sexual act was penetrative or not. At least not enough for something like digital-genital contact to be worth being a different conviction depending on whether penetration was proved.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Chapter 10 is the latest. Volume 2 came out recently.

Reejun
Miyakodori discussion 06 May 11:06
joined Mar 15, 2017

So who was the ex lover? The old woman? o_O I'm so curious.

Shouko's? They said she was a maiko, which means an apprentice geisha in Kyoto, usually a teenager. The girl acted to protect herself by throwing Shouko under the bus, so the girl is presumably still in Kyoto.

Reejun
Tapestry discussion 06 May 05:44
joined Mar 15, 2017

I'd take the story to have implied that the person who called her Maggie was a lover. If Maggie had killed herself back then after losing that lover, more than 100 years ago, she wouldn't have met Elizabeth and Elizabeth thinks she probably wouldn't have become aware of her sexuality and would have ended up unhappy like her mother.

joined Mar 15, 2017

It's not doujin, it's from the Yuri Ninshin commercial anthology series.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_want_to_leave_behind_a_miraculous_love

By the way, there's a "What's that manga called?" thread.

last edited at May 5, 2018 12:31PM

Reejun
Miyakodori discussion 05 May 11:29
joined Mar 15, 2017

^ Fairly sure it is set in Kyoto given the TL note on the Maiko term. Also You can see high rises and neon signs etc. Only Kyoto is famous for Geisha as far as I know (maybe Tokyo too?) You are not gonna have Geisha schools out in the country - you need to be where all the rich guys are.

Kyoto is where Shouko left from. This is a hanamachi near Tokyo Skytree, so I guess Mukojima.

Reejun
Tapestry discussion 04 May 07:46
joined Mar 15, 2017

One of those translations where the mistakes outnumber the pages.

It messes up the significance around "Maggie". Her repeated line: "I'm Maggie. I've never been called by any other nickname." The only thing she remembers from her distant past is not that "everyone" called her Maggie, but that "someone" did. And the ending thought: "Long ago someone called me 'Maggie'. Now I have someone who calls me Meg."

Reejun
Tapestry discussion 04 May 05:25
joined Mar 15, 2017

That immortality subplot felt so random. Was it really necessary?

Since it's from Towako (basically "eternity-girl"), Comic LO's loli bba specific anthology series, it kind of is.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

They've used science to modify themselves so that they can impregnate each other through tribbing. Meaning they can produce some form of male gamete, so are technically hermaphrodites.

joined Mar 15, 2017

RE the Norway gag: It's basically a way of rendering the fact that she's literally saying "NO WAY" in Engrish (i.e. ノーウェー, or noowee / noh-weh), rather than using the native Japanese equivalent of the English phrase (e.g. いやだ, iyada).

She said うそっ

joined Mar 15, 2017

Anyway, we're assuming it has been axed, but maybe the artist just planned to make a short, 2-volume story.

In a tweet back when vol 1 came out, the mangaka said whether it continued would be decided soon based on sales (and so he'd thought about the ending and had come up with an idea he was pleased with).

https://twitter.com/NJ_Kilroy/status/936288523644125184

It's the wrong sort of manga to be something planned to end at 2 volumes in the case that it had sold well.

joined Mar 15, 2017

So the series has been axed and ends in chapter 19?

19 is already out. It ends in next month's issue.

joined Mar 15, 2017

^ It's the beginning of the end.

http://www.ya-arasi.com/magazine/next.html

joined Mar 15, 2017

Which magazine/issues was this published in? By now there may be a tank out too, I guess. Are there raws or information about the story after chapter 3?

It's from Galette and has been in every issue, with 6 coming out soon.

last edited at May 1, 2018 11:05AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

@Reejun
Thank you very much for your input! I've looked at some of your corrections and some were indeed typos or just poor grammar due to both myself and the previous translator. For Chapter 3, I had to fix up the original script which was vastly different than the one used here. So while it doesn't really excuse the final quality of the script, it certainly was difficult to rewrite someone else's words into a releasable script.

As for Chapter 4, I started that myself and I'd have to say I did make some silly mistakes as well. I'm still a relative novice translator, so I can't vouch for an absolute best representative look of the manga. Especially since I had just discovered this series a month ago. So I must admit, I'm still getting a hang of all the girls and their personalities. But I'll do my best to make sure that the series is both a readable work for all English-levels, while being an accurate representation of the manga.

In any case, thank you for your translation check of the manga! I'll be on higher vigilance from now. If anyone else sees any problems, I can update it and send it back to get re-typesetted. Thank you all for the comments!

You're still getting the hang of basic Japanese! Higher vigilance doesn't solve that.

joined Mar 15, 2017

The translator for ch 1+2 made mistakes too, but 3+4 are at a level where I think if I were someone who couldn't read Japanese then I'd probably rather this not be released as it's a poor, misrepresentative experience of the manga.

And the other members almost never come here.

"And" isn't appropriate.

What's that?
Oh, this right here.

"That's what it's like?"
"It is here."

Oh, something a previous member picked up

This reads like she might be remarking on what she has in her hand. She's telling Hana why there's a sofa.

Specifically...

She's using 適当に to mean they just wing it, doing as they see fit without a plan.

Those sorts of things.
You know, those sorts of things.

"That's what it's like?"
"That's what it's like."

Maybe he needed a break.

"To make up for my absences."

Because you make it normal.

"Because you treat me normally."

This type of dog is great y'know!

"This sort of thing is better for her."

It felt like a major burden came upon us.

"It feels like a weight off my shoulders."

From this point onward,

"Since then,"

to school for club sctivities.

"to school and club activities."

The girls that's destroying my life

"Being the person she's latched onto,"

My friend got into a little fight

"I had a bit of a row with my friend"

She gets mad so easily.

This makes it sound like she's finding fault with Aoi, but the Japanese phrasing leans toward her blaming herself.

Really...

I guess this was from interpreting the beginning of the line as exasperation, but she was just correcting herself to use "Kojima-san" when in front of another person.

She's from your class Kishi-san

"Kishi Aoi-san from our class."

I at least know that much so don't worry about it.

"I'm not bothered at all by something that little."

You're too gullible...

"You're a pushover..."

Even strangers. Without doubting that kindness, they fawn over it.

Yoh is thinking the aspect of Miu she's adverse to is how Miu doesn't doubt other people and their goodwill, and they go gooey on her (like Hana is).

Though she's already won over.

"Though" isn't appropriate.

Like when we don't have any activities, we can just goof off when we like.

"You can just come and hang out with us, like when you don't have club activities."

We have fun whenever you like.

"Come hang out whenever you like."

This little misunderstanding, go and apologize to Hana-chan now.

"Apologize to Hana-chan for your misunderstanding."

I'm apologize.

Presumably a typo.

Oh, wow.

"S-Sure."

It's like against my expectations this girl was always...

"Huh. Much more than I thought, she's..."

It's just a sick part of my personality

"At how bad my personality is."

Hearing you talk earlier, I was thinking of allowing it. Letting her join.

"I thought you'd go and get her to join."

I guess acting all innocent all the time must be a pain for you right?

"Well, it'd be a drag not being able to be yourself even during club, right?"

I feel like you said something weird about me?

"Did I say something weird?"

Wait a minute, did you say I was acting innocent...!
Yeah, I thought you knew, right.

"Hey, how'd you know about me not being myself?"
"C'mon, it's not hard to tell."

Made you cry!! I totally made you cry!!

"I'll make you cry!! I will definitely make you cry!!"

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 7:33AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

Probably because she doesn't actually want to fuck them. Sure she overidolize and glorify them, but so far it seems like she doesn't actually feel attracted to them. She literally only want to dress them in cute cloths and look at them. Nothing more. Which I'd say for all intense and purposes is perfectly fine. I'd actually be hesitant to even call her lolicon at this point.

Kafuka Fuura would be proud of this optimism.

joined Mar 15, 2017

But it still followed the same story?

Yes, the 2 Tsubakuma chapters are now the start of Uzamaid.