Forum › Posts by Koveras

Koveras
Flavorful discussion 22 Feb 02:35
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So, in the end, they were Roommates after all?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am currently at chapter 60 or so, and I am wondering about the use of color in this comic: as far as I can tell, red represents Mian's psychosis, as it only ever pops up whenever Mian slips into her deranged avenger mode and starts alternating between injuring Haegu and demanding sex from her. Blue, meanwhile, represents blood and gore, but also some aspect of Haegu's character that I cannot quite put into words yet. Anyone has any ideas about that? I've also noticed that sometimes when Mian and Haegu get it on, the red and the blue mix into purple for a bit.

About the colors, it's as you said, red is for Mian whenever she sees things, like haegu or her dad playing with her mind, it also shows up when Mian gets deranged, or demanding, her eyes even turns red when she's in that state of mind. Meanwhile Haegu represents blue, her eyes will turn blue too in the upcoming chapters when she's in a deranged state of mind.

As for blue and purple for bloody, gore and bruises scenes, I think it's just to make the scenes look less disturbing, I think the scenes would look way too disturbing if they showed up blood and bruises in red.

So I have caught up with the latest chapter and have more thoughts on colors: Blue seems to represent what I call "hitman psychosis" -- the extreme desensitization to violence and death that hit(wo)men in this series display (which may be linked with the stylistic choice to represent most blood as blue, as well). This is why Haegu is so often blue-coded -- she is most commonly in that killer mindset. Simultaneously, however, Mina Park, the prosecutor, is also often blue-coded even if she never harms anyone, so I guess blue can represent general adrenaline rush, since Mina is often in danger herself?

Red is clearly Mian's psychosis talking, except when has hallucinations of her dad, who is blue-coded, because he was a hitman. Interestingly, when Mian cuts herself, her blood is the only one in the entire series that is properly red. Presumably because her self-harm is an outcome of her psychosis.

Finally, purple (a mixture of red and blue) is obviously Haegu and Mian's respective psychoses canceling each other out when they are together, allowing them to behave like a normal couple as long as nobody tries to kill them. It's interesting that whenever their relationship manifests itself in kindness, there is always at least one purple item on the screen, like Mian's scarf, or those headphones, or even blood on Mian's face after Haegu took care of her.

Lastly, there is green, but there is so few of it, who the heck even knows what it meant.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Okay, only character i can accept overpowering La verita Baiser is Dark la verita Magenta since she has part of Baiser berserker magic after all.
But yeah, right now no one else can, Baiser la verita just spawns (really hard to break) webs in front of your face and you lost already lol

Baiser is already OP AF. The only reason Tres Magia even still exist is that Utena loves them too much to really hurt them. If she ever got really serious... well, we saw what happened when she accidentally went berserk.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yo, at this point, the author seems to just be straight up trolling us. :D "Look, it's just a filler chapter about Baiser and Kiwi messing with Tres Magia again... psych, it's actually the start of the Dark Magenta arc! ...except psych! It's actually about Alice having a robot kid with Utena, and she is now part of Enormeeta! Arc over, see you next time!"

...I am not complaining, just pointing things out. :-)

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 7:53AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It's not "VS".

It's a X, meaning it's a ship.

Aya's the perceptive one, ie, she can read the mood.
Mitsuki's the oblivious one, who can't read the mood.

My interpretation of this chapter is that Aya looked at the relationship of Joe and Kanna, thought it was nice they could talk so freely and made a parallel with her own relationship with "Onii-san", obviously wishing it would be the same.

And she blurted it out to Mitsuki, forgetting for a moment that Mitsuki=Onii-san. When she realized, she ran away, but it flew over Mitsuki's head completely.

This. The only thing I would add is that Joe and Kanna are not just talking so freely but being obviously intimate and at ease. Kanna can flirt with Joe without feeling self-conscious. Whereas Aya often struggles to look at Mitsuki without feeling self-conscious.

The perks of being an adult who had a decade or more to figure out her feelings and relationships. Aya will get there, too, I believe in her.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Next episode - boss battle: Manager vs Misa
Weapons: scourges, snakes' tongues

Battlefield: Io's body.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am looking forward to discovering the mental contortions Tsukushi will go through to convince herself that Hinoka has finally rejected her IRL with this. :-)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The author needs to draw more smut, just to practice. :-) Not only did they censor the kiss, they even had them bang with their bikinis on, apparently, which I cannot imagine was especially comfortable (for Tang Chao, in particular).

Also, can Tang Chao's "inability" to go into a rut have been psychosomatic all along - a result of her disgust with her own gender?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

and finally we get "the face she shouldn't show" lmao. Sure also looks like Io is having a little bit of a crisis realizing that she's suddenly into all these perverted things that she never was before, though I'd wager that's because attraction does make all the difference, and it's hot for her specifically because she's doing it with Misa.

Io is (re?)discovering her repressed sexuality with a person she is down bad for. It's like taking your first driving lessons in a racing car on one of those German autobahns without a speed limit.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am currently at chapter 60 or so, and I am wondering about the use of color in this comic: as far as I can tell, red represents Mian's psychosis, as it only ever pops up whenever Mian slips into her deranged avenger mode and starts alternating between injuring Haegu and demanding sex from her. Blue, meanwhile, represents blood and gore, but also some aspect of Haegu's character that I cannot quite put into words yet. Anyone has any ideas about that? I've also noticed that sometimes when Mian and Haegu get it on, the red and the blue mix into purple for a bit.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The twist was great, I honestly did not see it coming. :D "Oh, that wind is awfully convenient... ah, she is a fox, too!" I am a bit disappointed that Sorako only had one tail in the end. Inari is young and naive, so her one tail suits her, but I'd think that Sorako's relative experience and even more so her command over the elements would warrant at least one extra tail...

Ok but...why wouldn't she disclose she's a fellow fox spirit??

Foxes are usually tricksters in folklore, though unlike tanuki, they usually put loyalty to their friends and loved ones above mischief. In other words, a fox spirit would probably see nothing wrong with testing for long they can pull her friend-slash-future-wife's leg while also spending quality time with her.

last edited at Feb 15, 2024 11:16AM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Welp, it seems Kiwi has won the shipping war. Press F to pay respects to Baiser x Azul... and to Kiwi herself, apparently. :D

She died as she lived: too gay to function.

This is the Way.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yareyare, they're such good friends, they don't even hide hand-holding in public. (¬‿¬)

Also, I applaud Yodokawa for trusting her audiences to infer that Sumiko is a ditzy ojou-sama from her dialogue alone, without resorting to showing her house, limousine, and the thing that goes doink in the garden. Way too many manga authors waste precious oneshot pages to explicitly explain stuff that is better conveyed by background details and style.

The blonde seemed genuinely confused that her cruelty was rebuffed

I mean, since when is punching down morally not okay? /s

last edited at Feb 15, 2024 10:51AM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Did anyone else hear "Megalovania" start playing, when they saw the title? Just me? Okay.

Welp, Qin Mi certainly went all out, though I cannot help but notice that she has kept one more ace still up her sleeve -- her discovery that SN was cooperating with that other actress to sabotage Nan Zhi. Wonder when she is going to play that?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

OK this one is pretty funny. I doubt that it's going to become one of my favorites but I'm having an OK time with it so far

I wouldn't use the term "funny" for this story, but it sure is messed up something fierce.

last edited at Feb 14, 2024 11:44AM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

That revealable information is hilarious.

It is important world-building and characterization! >__>

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

lol "inappropriate intentions"

Well, that's certainly one way to word a confession.

Ren Xing: LEGEND

Even more so after today's chapter. :-)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Erika remains the most interesting character in the series. She reminds me of Saeki Sayaka in many ways but less repressed, probably due to being an adult. So far she's doing everything right, and incredibly enough her wish on the tanabata seems to have created the story as we're seeing it today.

A comparison with Sayaka is very apt, if slightly foreboding for her love prospects. Both are very much in love with a very flawed person, both know that the latter is flawed, and both are mature enough to put the more immediate needs of their loved one before their own feelings. While such a relationship can go toxic in a myriad of ways, Sayaka managed to navigate it very well (and bowed out once she realized she had no romantic future with Touko), and Erika has been doing the same so far.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Well, the translators have indulged us tonight. ^^ I just wanted to tell you folks that your work is very much appreciated!

It's also a part of the celebrity/idol culture. Not unique only to Japan, any time any celebrity has something revealed about them all the weirdo parasocials that haven't actually had any form of contact believe that the person they "know" was lying to them, then throw on a good old heaping of anti-lgbt bigotry, bake on high for 30 min, and you've got a scandal.

Any time I hear about a celebrity scandal, whether real or fictional, I must think of something William Gibson wrote in 1996:

"[Slitscan's audience] is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

It doesn't seem to matter to the "weird parasocials" if the allegations are true or false, the reaction will be exactly the same, and by the time the actual facts are established, they would have moved on to the next thing, anyway. With incentives like that, I do not think the show business will ever get any more humane.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am surprised at how many people hate Erika. I know her actions are wrong, but the way she handles the situations is very interesting to me. And like some said. She is a well layered character with gray morality.

Which actions are wrong, even? She's done all the right things, AFAICT. It's just that she also has selfish thoughts. Which I can't blame her for.

This. Erika is in a really complicated situation, morally and emotionally, but so far, she has aced it. She may have an expectation of Koto and Aya breaking up, but at no point has she done anything to accelerate that. Instead, she is playing the long game, like she has for the past 7 years. At first, she waited for Koto to get over Aya on her own, but when that proved impossible for her, she wished for Aya to come back, so she and Koto could break up explicitly, and thus give Koto the closure she needs in order to start a healthy new relationship.

To Erika, it is obvious that the breakup is inevitable, so she does not have to do anything to bring that about and is instead laying down the groundwork to catch Koto when she just as inevitably spirals afterwards. It's not the fairy tale romance some readers are accustomed to, but it is the best that Erika can do as Koto and Aya's friend in this situation, and that makes her actions very much right, as far as I am concerned.

last edited at Feb 11, 2024 6:31AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The new guy referred to Rollo as "boss" who "ordered" them to look after the MC. To me, it sounds like he is either a yakuza member, or one of those businessmen who run their company like a military force.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Man, I am kind of... proud of Nan Zhi? She has finally set a boundary with her mom, even if it did hurt her like hell emotionally. My only hope is that Qin Mi somehow recognizes that physical intimacy is not what Nan Zhi needs at that moment and, in fact, can be quite harmful in the long run.

Koveras
Flavorful discussion 07 Feb 09:36
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Wait, one of the creators is the author of Audience with Her Majesty the Queen, which I read years ago.

Hmm, whatever happened to that series? I vaguely remember reading the last chapter where the protagonist leaves her school and friends behind, but haven't heard anything about a continuation since.

Series was complete ages ago, just no translation for the second part.

Ah, okay, thanks for letting me know. :-)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I hope that lesbian friend will show up a bit more, she was cute.

More importantly, she is based, which is IMO the most attractive trait in an Adult life Drama.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"Why does nothing go the way I expect it to..."

Because you act and think like a shitty person and a shitty parent, so your expectations are correspondingly shit. If you were less shitty at either of those, things would go your way considerably more often. :-)

I mean, Makino is the same and things are going pretty well for her.

Even disregarding the fact that Makino (no doubt because of her upbringing) often exaggerates how much of a scumbag she actually is, the key difference between her and her mother is that Makino does not have children and does not abuse her parental and financial authority over them. Being a shitty person and a shitty parent is a lot worse than just being a bad person, so I don't find it surprising that things are going better for Makino. :-)

last edited at Feb 7, 2024 3:28AM