Forum › Posts by Kirin

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

We taking bets yet on Maria's sister being the mastermind behind this whole thing?

I'll do you one better. Dolores/Dorothy's mother is actually alive and turned herself into a vampire overlord because she hated how the church makes young children serve as monster hunters and wants to create the ideal society of immortals. Dolores will probably have to choose between Mama and Maria in some big dramatic climax, and then Maria will have a big, dramatic fake-out death, only for the last page to reveal that she somehow became human again. The two of 'em then make out happily ever after.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I'm guessing the murder mystery will be one of those 'I didn't actually do anything, but feel guilty because I couldn't stop bad shit from happening, so is it okay for me to be this happy?' variety.

Though it'd be hilarious if the Prez was actually a murderer and the Miko forgives her for it, because nothing says 'Come Rain or Shine' like sticking with your girlfriend while she's on the run for homicide.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This series really knows how to have fun with itself while still preserving an overall sense of tension and high stakes. Despite how gratituous everything initially seems, there's some really clever, sharp writing lurking under the surface. And if all the foreshadowing and lore pays off in the chapters to come, this could really end up becoming a classic in the (admittedly niche) action-yuri genre.

Kirin
School Zone discussion 03 Oct 10:15
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Yokoe this chapter went from lesbian zombie to lesbian Cthulu. We know that Yatsude ain't gonna stick her fingers into the abyss, because it'll finger her right back.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I checked up the mangadex page, and apparently, the original translators 'lost interest' in the series. There's been no word about it since, which is kinda sad. The series placed quite high in a poll for yuri manga recently, which is impressive, seeing as it isn't your standard SOL highschool romance. I hope someone picks it up again.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Nikaidou's endurance stat is rather low. She'll just have to grind (pun kinda intended) until she has enough XP.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:22
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ei0t_ogu0aaj5iz-orig

If Artoria got a dime for every time she ran into someone with the same face as her, she'd probably be able to buy a controlling stake in FGO.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:16
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ehmk54vx0aagwv1-orig

Lin's art is genuinely great- I've rarely seen anyone who's able to so perfectly integrate the aesthetic of the original designs with more realistic facial features and elements.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:15
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ejcjk6ouwaabn1f-orig

I dream of a society that has a yuri version of Rule 34- if it exists, then there's probably yuri fanart of it.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:12
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
84685590_p12

Yuuka has the power to spontaneously make lilies sprout from anywhere, making her the God-Queen of lesbians. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:10
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Dzhhrvsu8aavx22-orig

Maya's gonna have her dessert and eat it too.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:05
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
83774726_p0

Ah yes, Reimu's greatest fetish- someone slipping money into her pockets.

Kirin
Image Comments 03 Oct 02:02
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020
Ejlgckdxkacaeoa-orig

I love a woman who can kiss my ex-girlfriend. - Spike Spiegel

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

My Yuri brainrot has progressed to a frightening point. We were doing Jane Eyre in a college class the other day, and for the life of me, I couldn't care about the plot or the metaphors or the godawful romance or the historical significance. The only thought bouncing around in my mind was that Jane would've been much happier with Helen Burns, after which my mind spontaneously generated an alternative universe wherein the rebellious, no-nonsense Victorian middle-class girl eloped with the seemingly naïve Catholic kid with a hidden sense of wisdom. And so dies my appreciation for classical literary romance. It will not be mourned.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Speaking of Akira, Akira is really hot and I hope she can get a girlfriend someday.

I've noticed that pretty much every single girl named Akira in manga is ridiculously hot and/or cool? The one from Canno's Polycule series, the one from Taiyaki's (first) mothercon series, the one from the Revue Starlight mobile game, and like twenty others I've probably forgotten. It seems to be a name that guarantees chadness.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I can't believe I'm saying this but not all girls, in a yuri, have to be lesbians.

Now I kinda want an Among Us-style series set on a cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic where a dozen 'straight girls' need to find the secret lesbian couple. They put their yuri goggles on, read into the slightest interaction, and obsessively start thinking about what constitutes affection. Some 500 IQ masterminds specifically playact being in a relationship to lull the 'real lesbians' into a false sense of security, before realizing that they actually enjoy it. In the final arc, we get plays like 'I know you know that I know you're lesbian'. The series ends with every last one of the girls realizing that they're gay, and the mastermind is revealed to be a chick who wants to be the last straight girl on the planet and build herself a reverse-harem of men, but realizes that she was way too good at her job, and now all the guys want to be in cute yuri relationships as well. The series ends with her sobbing on a lonely mountain peak, horrified at what she's achieved, while society reveres her as the patron saint of Yuri.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I swear to god. They are going to have sex and say, "This doesn't change anything. Our relationship is the same as always. Just friends."

I'm holding out for an Akira-style ending where Harumi just turns into one massive, ever-expanding boob and consumes the planet, and Chiaki finally admits that she might have a crush on her before popping like a pimple under a nipple the size of Australia.

Kirin
School Zone discussion 02 Oct 12:14
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I think Yokoe just died of Kei's sheer cuteness at some point in middle school and is currently a zombie, but the rest of the characters have either not noticed (Kei), don't care (Yatsude) or are too afraid to point it out (Tsubaki).

Kirin
Assault lily 02 Oct 09:15
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I watched the first episode, and it was... fine? Seemed kinda uneven in a lot of places- they spent a ton of time expositing about the monsters while literally just stating the obvious (there are giant monsters, special schoolgirls fight them, etc), but then threw a ton of odd terminology in halfway through that could have used an explanation, but didn't get addressed in any way.
Most of the charactes seem painfully generic, both design and personality-wise, and I was struggling not to wince under the waves and waves of one-trait anime archetypes filling up the screen. It felt like diving into a gacha game with zero context, and I'm not certain they'll get any development.
The direction was great, if somewhat male-gazey, and the fact that every single one of the girls has that same fetishistic 'thicc-thighs' body type is definitely dumb. Shaft's characteristic direction can lend a ton of momentum to scenes, but it also feels like a 40 year old man using a camera to lick an underaged girl's body over from every angle. At least the fight scenes were good, and devoid of pantyshots and other bullshit.
On the Yuri front, the show has potential, but will probably break no new ground. I hate how Riri and Yuyu are literally shown together in every single Op and Ed shot, but still have other girls fawning over them in the show. You know that none of it is gonna go anywhere but the 'main' ship route of Edgy Black Haired Girl and Naive Pink Haired Genki Girl. It just feels needlessly cruel to the others, because they'll probably get killed off for drama or just have an episode where they realize that they aren't the Chosen Ones and slink away.
All in all, a very good looking show that still can't hide a bundle of tired tropes and mediocre writing underneath all that Shaft polish. It'll probably pull a Madoka-esque twist at some point, although even that tends to be more of a recipe for torturing lolis than it is for compelling stories. Then again, considering that this franchise was based off a toy line, I can kinda see the blatantly merchandise-oriented philosophy at work here.
I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Kirin
School Zone discussion 02 Oct 06:07
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Regarding Yatsude, I've noticed that manga in general seems a lot more lax about stuff like sexual harassment and abuse? Like, you get scenes where one character straight-up comes in from the shadows and gropes another, and it's just played off as 'skinship', even if the recipient seems visibly uncomfortable. The same goes for your standard joke wherein one character says something stupid and the other straight-up hits them in the head. I'm honestly not sure whether there's some kind of cultural context I'm missing here, or whether you're just supposed to assume that it's a joke just because everyone seems to forget about it one page later. It honestly makes me uncomfortable, because 'pathological sexual harasser' is less of a quirk and more of a reason to arrest someone, but since most of Yatsude's targets are relatively friendly with her and don't call her out on it, I guess they personally don't mind? Considering a lack of context, I guess we can assume that Yatsude only does this with people who are okay with it, and presumably doesn't go around groping random schoolgirls in her free time. As a joke, it's still a bit tasteless, though, and I hope it doesn't become a giant part of her personality moving forward.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Great, heartwarming chapter. One thing I love about this series is its absolute commitment to both the wholesomeness and the angst. Back when the earlier chapters talked about dysphoria and suicide, it clashed heavily with the general cute aesthetic and hit you like a truck. And now that things are (hopefully) taking a turn for the better, the happiness of Mogu and their found family café also feels so genuinely satisfying. I do hope we actually get a happy ending and like 5-10 chapters of post-resolution fluff that explores some lighter aspects of everyone's lives and relationships.

Kirin
School Zone discussion 02 Oct 01:05
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

The comments section usially enhances the reading experience not diminish it...i don't think anyone has been thirsting over a character but anyway I wonder why the nurse is so disinterested in Hiiragi? Also why does Hiiragi actually like her so much?

I'm guessing the nurse doesn't particularly want to spend every day giving free therapy to a kid who can't even communicate? It's funny because Hiiragi is to the nurse what the rest of society is to Hiiragi.
On Hiiragi's end, I think she just likes the nurse because she isn't nice in a conventional way, because that would set off her paranoia and inferiority complex. The nurse just lets Hiiragi chill and do whatever without making a big deal out of it, and Hiiragi just uses her as a dummy to test out all the sappy stuff she'd be too ashamed to express outside.
Personally, it seems like the nurse handles the whole semi-misanthropic, too-cool-for-school vibe much better than Hiiragi, in that she quells people's bullshit without actively antagonizing them. Reminds me of the aunt from Ikkoku Nikki.

Kirin
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

KareHika kinda ended up getting overshadowed by JunNana and MayaKuro, both in the East and the West, but it's honestly such a great ship. Karen and Hikari just perfectly complement and contrast each other in every single way, and you can tell that their entire dynamic was specifically written to reflect and reinforce the show's themes. More to the point, there's such a realistic, understated warmth to every interaction they have. I hope we get more of them in the future.

Kirin
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Hi. Looking for yuri that isnt only yuri... How do i explain? Well, something going on and romance between girls isn't the main plot point. Otherside Picnic, Madoka, Happy Sugar Life, VA-11 Hall-A, Aoi Shiro, Atlach Nacha... Not manga is fine too, could be almost any form of media. But preferably not too short.

Revue Starlight: Sword Lesbians Fight Club, the anime. Top class direction that brings to mind Ikuhara, but considerably more focused, and a legitimately brilliant ending.

Yuki Yuna wa Yuusha De Aru: My personal favorite magical girl anime. Brilliantly blends the optimism and SOL focus of traditional magical shows while incorporating elements of dark magical shows as well, all the while without feeling edgy or exploitative. Also has some of the most well-written spin-offs and lore I've come across in any series.

SeaBed: A VN that is, bar none, the best exploration of psychology, loss and coping mechanisms that I've come across in any medium. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and most importantly, it made me think about a lot of things. Features a cast of mature adults dealing with Work, Life and other mundane nightmares.

Endro~!: Cute fantasy SOL series with character design by Namori, and a legitimately interesting take on roles, morality and repetition in RPGs. Perfect example of how fluffy, easygoing series can still have compelling narratives.

Shigofumi- Just finished watching this, and while it isn't pure Yuri (although there is a lesbian side couple), there's a lot of ambiguously affectationate behaviour between the women in the cast. The show itself is a somber, sensitive reflection on the things people could never quite say until it's too late, and it has some of the best uses of an episodic plot structure I've seen. There's also a brilliant moody soundtrack, and this general, pervasive vibe of grimy, alienating urban vastness that you find in lots of 2000s era anime, though this kinda faded out with the rise of moe trends. Worth a watch for the atmosphere alone.

Kirin
School Zone discussion 01 Oct 10:50
Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

My personal headcanon is that the nurse is just Kei from the future, travelling back in time to get a break from all the disasterbians, only to find that a new one has attached itself to her.

Or isn't it simply her big sister ?

Damn, I forgot all about that. It's still kinda hard to believe that they're the same character, considering how dead-eyed the nurse looks, but considering her job and her present company, I guess it makes sense.